“We absolutely loved it!!”
Review of Panama Jack Resort

Panama Jack Resort
Ranked #37 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed here for a week with our 13 year old daughter. We chose the Junior Family suite which worked out well for us. Hotel was great! Service was great! Food was great! The two ala carte dining choices were fantastic. We argued about which one was better. I thought Marias was the best and the girls liked the Italion place best by a slim margin. Service was better at Marias but still great at each. The buffett was very good. Nice variety and did not dissapoint. The snack bar area on the beach was a nice treat each day. We did not try the seperate sushi bar. We did have room service several times. That was our daughters favortie. She even stayed in one night and Mom and I got to have a romantic dinner alone. Room service was a really nice addition.

Poolside service was the best! Jesus took excellent care of me and made sure that I was happy the entire time. We did two excursions, 1. Xcaret which I highly reccomend and the 2. Was snorkeling through the resort. OK 3. was scuba diving through the resort just for me and that was excellent. We went just a few minutes away and I saw 12 sea turtles on my 1 dive.

Location was excellent with a nice large private beach but still very close 5th Ave shopping. Shopping was alot of fun and I hate to shop :)

Only couple small gripes. I wish they had a real suite to offer. The family junior suite was great but I did wish I had a seperate bedroom. The liquor dispensor in the room was cheapo liquor that was so bad I could not drink it. I would have preffered some call liquors. Not expecting top shelf but drinkable. That said, I did not go without. Lastly, there were no top shelf liquors at all. I am not sure what to expect but I would have preffered a little better selection and some higher end stuff. Cuervo was the good tequila, and Canadian Club the better blend. Somehow I still made it work :) They had alot of great frozen drinks that were yummy though. Also, one of the things that brought us here was the "T Zone" teens club. That was really important to our daughter. Turns out it was little more than a large closet with some video game machines. She did not go there at all, there were no activities that we knew of just for the teens and we did not see any other kids there, She did however have a great time and loved the place.

Did I mention that Jesus was an awesome waiter by the pool? A little extra tipping goes a long way. He was always there with a smile and frosty cool beverage.

OK, last part. The activities were fun. We didn't have time to do everything but it was great to engage in other activities which were many or just sit and relax.

2  Thank Granroth
Write a ReviewReviews (10,432)

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We entered this restaurant with great expectations to celebrate my birthday. We were seated in an area that seemed to be a corner which was put into use just to get more bodies into restaurant and it was so hot is was unbearable it totally detracted from the
service and quality of the food which I would rate well below what we expected. I finally
got up and propped open a side service door to get enough air to get through the meal. The owners apparent greed to get more bodies into the restaurant really spoiled a special
occasion which I travel thousands of miles to celebtae in a special place.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Great facility, great food, excellent staff and service. We are beach people who love to swim and snorlel in ocean and this resort was not what we were looking for. The small beach was rendered unusable by the high winds, which brought in mountains of seaweed
from the ocean, and being extremely shallow. Sister property had beautiful beach which we could use like the public by carrying towels and laying on the beach. I felt like when the beach at our facility was unusable we should have been able to use beach chairs ect., at the sister property but we could not even walk thru the sister property. We ended up at
the pool at our resort which we could have done at home in our own pool.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jhollingsworth11
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed at this resort for a friend's wedding. There were good and bad things at the resort. Let's start with the good things: The location is amazing- 3 minute walk to 5th avenue in Playa Del Carmen. The staff is wonderful- they would bend over backwards to help you- if you were waiting for them and walked away, they would come find you to follow up! Aaron the bell boy and Isidro Jesus of room service were awesome! It is an older resort, and the wear is evident, but it is VERY clean- they do a great job. Sheets & towels were always clean- even towel animals made on the bed every day! The rooms are beautiful and spacious- the bathroom was large- the shower was so big it didn't need a door!!! We had an ocean front room- the view is WELL worth the upgrade from ocean view. The mini bar in the room is included with the all inclusive package, and we called room service to refill our beer- they would bring it right to the room as we hung out and enjoyed the view. The $20 local snorkel trip is worth it.
Now for the "needs improvement" areas: The beach is beautiful & in a great location, but the exposed sandbags really did take a lot away from the view, espcially when you walked down the beach to see other properties. The food in the sit down restaurants was good, the buffet was ok (although the same everyday) and the girll was bad. The best food we found was roomservice- just make sure you call early because it can take about 30 minutes. Good in the morning for a pot of coffee while you get ready. The only places in the resort with A/C are the rooms and the 24 hour coffee bar. It is very hot in August in Mexico! It would have been nice to have A/C in the restaurants. The pools close at 9 and the swim up bar closes at 5:00!!! So, not much of a night life at the resort.
All in all, we had a great time, although we will probably visit a different Porto Real property on our next trip.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean front is worth it over ocean view. Friend's did ocean walk-out and liked our ro...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank MGohio
Reviewed 2 September 2011

The service at the hotel was excellent. Jesus, Mari, Forencio, Marcello, Chicken, Domingo, and Elizabeth went above and beyond taking care of our family. They were extremely kind and helpful. The rooms and hotel was always clean. This is our second time staying at the Gran Porto and we will be back.

3  Thank shoo490
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This was my first time out of the United States, I went with my family and had an Awesome time there. The hotel was very clean, and the food was excellent. As soon as we arrived the hotel staff gave us a welcome drink. We had to wait about 10 minutes so that the hotel staff could check the room but I didn't mind. Just be aware that the hotel is very open, the rooms have air conditioning but the restaraunts, lobby, and hallways have no a.c. Albatros which is a buffet was very good, there is so much food, as well as different types of juice in cluding Cactus, and Hibiscus Water. Each night the buffet changed, one night was mexican, another was italian and one night was oriental.

The Sports and Entertainment Crew at the pool were always doing some activity. I actually tried some of the activities they did. Water aerobics, pool volleyball, and learning how to dance merengue was a few of the daily activities the pool staff ran.

If you choose to try going jet skiing, parasailing, try and find John on the beach or around the pool, he can help you go and try those kinds of activities.

The only minor issue was the beach, there are sand bags everywhere to prevent erosion, there are rocks in the water you should watch out for, but it was still very nice.

Overall, I had such an amazing time at the gran porto real, I hope to go back to this hotel again.
Thanks to: Alejandro(works at the pool), Domingo& May(waiters at ALbatros), John, and Ana (works at the spa) these 5 people are a few of the staff members who are very helpful and incredibly kind

Room Tip: if you ask for 2 beds, one of them might be 2 twin beds pushed together
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Having spent 2 weeks there in early august with my family we found the hotel and staff to be very good and helpful,food was fine though being all inclusive it does get repetative come the second week, however you are just off 5th avenue with all its bars and restaurants and eating out was as cheap or expensive as you wanted it to be.The beach as noted before is being held together by buried sandbags due to erosion but its not a problem, and seaweed did accumulate on a couple of days but the hotel staff would work there socks off to clear it.there was always a beach gazebo to sit underwhilst we were there but they did go quickly so towel down by 9am was the norm.On the whole a great place to stay.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family