“Awesome Resort, very polite and friendly staffs”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #30 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This hotel is very clean. The restaurants are very clean, they offer a variety of good food options. The hotel reception staffs are very professional, we had a minor problem with the Junior Suite room we were first given, we were promptly moved to another even bigger room with a better view, thanks to Jose (supervisor).
This hotel was recommended to me by another family and I would definitely recommend it to other families with kids.
One disappointing factor about this hotel is the beach. It is not that pretty compared to another hotel we stayed in at Playa Del Carmen. When we were there the hotel maintenance staffs were cleaning tons algae that had washed off on the sand, it maybe because of the time of the year we went, but it was a disappointment for us.

Room Tip: All the rooms on the ground level along the long hallway behind you when facing the reception desk...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 September 2011

I would definitely come back to Gran Porto. Excellent location. The staff is wonderful. One superior team of waiters were Pako and Rodivor. Most attentive and went out of their way to accomodate our table. The room maids were awesome. They kept everything tidy. The event and entertianment team really engage the guest. They were wonderful. I went to a spanish lesson, stretching, pilates, and water aerobics. Cesear,Victor-aka: Chicken just to name a few members, all were excellent and wish I could remember all their names to give full credit. As mentioned previously I would stay again!!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank SusanMiddleton
Reviewed 9 September 2011

After seeing the dark halls, limited dining,street view from the room and that the beach and pool seemed abandoned, we decided to move next door. That wasn't worth the upgrade cost. I would suggest this place only if you intend to spend a lot of time in town, and if so, why pay for A/I?

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Stayed here for a week with our 13 year old daughter. We chose the Junior Family suite which worked out well for us. Hotel was great! Service was great! Food was great! The two ala carte dining choices were fantastic. We argued about which one was better. I thought Marias was the best and the girls liked the Italion place best by a slim margin. Service was better at Marias but still great at each. The buffett was very good. Nice variety and did not dissapoint. The snack bar area on the beach was a nice treat each day. We did not try the seperate sushi bar. We did have room service several times. That was our daughters favortie. She even stayed in one night and Mom and I got to have a romantic dinner alone. Room service was a really nice addition.

Poolside service was the best! Jesus took excellent care of me and made sure that I was happy the entire time. We did two excursions, 1. Xcaret which I highly reccomend and the 2. Was snorkeling through the resort. OK 3. was scuba diving through the resort just for me and that was excellent. We went just a few minutes away and I saw 12 sea turtles on my 1 dive.

Location was excellent with a nice large private beach but still very close 5th Ave shopping. Shopping was alot of fun and I hate to shop :)

Only couple small gripes. I wish they had a real suite to offer. The family junior suite was great but I did wish I had a seperate bedroom. The liquor dispensor in the room was cheapo liquor that was so bad I could not drink it. I would have preffered some call liquors. Not expecting top shelf but drinkable. That said, I did not go without. Lastly, there were no top shelf liquors at all. I am not sure what to expect but I would have preffered a little better selection and some higher end stuff. Cuervo was the good tequila, and Canadian Club the better blend. Somehow I still made it work :) They had alot of great frozen drinks that were yummy though. Also, one of the things that brought us here was the "T Zone" teens club. That was really important to our daughter. Turns out it was little more than a large closet with some video game machines. She did not go there at all, there were no activities that we knew of just for the teens and we did not see any other kids there, She did however have a great time and loved the place.

Did I mention that Jesus was an awesome waiter by the pool? A little extra tipping goes a long way. He was always there with a smile and frosty cool beverage.

OK, last part. The activities were fun. We didn't have time to do everything but it was great to engage in other activities which were many or just sit and relax.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Granroth
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We entered this restaurant with great expectations to celebrate my birthday. We were seated in an area that seemed to be a corner which was put into use just to get more bodies into restaurant and it was so hot is was unbearable it totally detracted from the
service and quality of the food which I would rate well below what we expected. I finally
got up and propped open a side service door to get enough air to get through the meal. The owners apparent greed to get more bodies into the restaurant really spoiled a special
occasion which I travel thousands of miles to celebtae in a special place.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Great facility, great food, excellent staff and service. We are beach people who love to swim and snorlel in ocean and this resort was not what we were looking for. The small beach was rendered unusable by the high winds, which brought in mountains of seaweed
from the ocean, and being extremely shallow. Sister property had beautiful beach which we could use like the public by carrying towels and laying on the beach. I felt like when the beach at our facility was unusable we should have been able to use beach chairs ect., at the sister property but we could not even walk thru the sister property. We ended up at
the pool at our resort which we could have done at home in our own pool.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jhollingsworth11
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed at this resort for a friend's wedding. There were good and bad things at the resort. Let's start with the good things: The location is amazing- 3 minute walk to 5th avenue in Playa Del Carmen. The staff is wonderful- they would bend over backwards to help you- if you were waiting for them and walked away, they would come find you to follow up! Aaron the bell boy and Isidro Jesus of room service were awesome! It is an older resort, and the wear is evident, but it is VERY clean- they do a great job. Sheets & towels were always clean- even towel animals made on the bed every day! The rooms are beautiful and spacious- the bathroom was large- the shower was so big it didn't need a door!!! We had an ocean front room- the view is WELL worth the upgrade from ocean view. The mini bar in the room is included with the all inclusive package, and we called room service to refill our beer- they would bring it right to the room as we hung out and enjoyed the view. The $20 local snorkel trip is worth it.
Now for the "needs improvement" areas: The beach is beautiful & in a great location, but the exposed sandbags really did take a lot away from the view, espcially when you walked down the beach to see other properties. The food in the sit down restaurants was good, the buffet was ok (although the same everyday) and the girll was bad. The best food we found was roomservice- just make sure you call early because it can take about 30 minutes. Good in the morning for a pot of coffee while you get ready. The only places in the resort with A/C are the rooms and the 24 hour coffee bar. It is very hot in August in Mexico! It would have been nice to have A/C in the restaurants. The pools close at 9 and the swim up bar closes at 5:00!!! So, not much of a night life at the resort.
All in all, we had a great time, although we will probably visit a different Porto Real property on our next trip.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean front is worth it over ocean view. Friend's did ocean walk-out and liked our ro...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends