“GPR Location and the Best Staff”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #36 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 23 May 2012

May 12, to May 19, 2012.Best Bartender...David Ancona. Best In Spa..Karina Garcia. Best Animation...Ivan. All of the staff were wonderful again. We only come here for the Location and the Employees keep us happy. As far as the rooms....you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dave Rancourt

Reviewed 23 May 2012

My boyfriend and I were at the Gran Porto Real at Playa del Carmen last May, we were there for a week and it was a loving expirience!! The hotel is really beatifull and the food is amaizing.
As we wanted to visit places from the Riviera we rent a car and the girl from the front desk Samantha recomend us a lot of places to go. She send us to a place called akumal that it was a really paradise. We swim with turtles and we saw a lot of color fishes.
At night went to the bars on the 10th ave. We got lots of fun!! We love it the hotel is in a perfect place really close to the fifth ave wich is perfect to walk and buy stuff. The service from the hotel was excellent the maid the guys from the bar everybody!!! Samantha is a sweet heart she really make a difference in our trip!! And we hope to be back soon to Playa del Carmen!!! Love Mexico!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dana M
Reviewed 22 May 2012

the hotel is amazing, great food and service, good location, great food.

Thank u for an amazing vacation, Samantha & Enrique ( Front Desk) great service and very nice people.

Want to come back soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rmena12
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I have travelled to Cuba, Dominican and Mexico and I can say that we have had great times...however none match the vacation we just had at Gran Porto Real.

Let me start off with the location, it's only a couple minutes from 5th avenue, great shopping and local restaurants. We ate at the Mediterra and had steak and lobster and it was very good...not like the lobster in Nova Scotia but pretty good.

The beach has sand bags you walk on before you get in water...no big deal, the water is as wet as other beaches :) there was a little bit of rock but lots of sand as well. The towel game...was played of course but we never had problem getting chairs. We would go for breakfast at 8:00 and hit the beach by 9:00. The pool is different story.

The resort itself was very clean and well maintained. They have 2 a la cart restaurants that don't require reservations, however go a little early or you may have to wait a little to be seated. The Italian and Mexican a la carts were excellent, food and service top notch.

The main buffet 'ALBATROS' was excellent as well. We sat in a section the first night we arrived and from the moment we sat down we felt at home. Our waiter that night was ANTONIO MAY...what an amazing person...he made our first night at the resort a memorable one, as well as our last night. On our last night he set up a private table outside the buffet area and had chef Enrique prepare a delicious seafood meal for us...it was one of the best meals I have eaten and I am not a big seafood eater. Antonio is the BEST waiter that we have ever had the pleasure of meeting in all of our travels and is a huge asset to this resort.

GAVIOTAS bar by main pool. Great service from all the staff at the bar no matter what evening we were there. Most of the time we were waited on by MIGUEL, AVILA and FILY(smiles) great guys. They didn't take long to know what we liked for drinks...we would be walking up the walkway to bar and we would have a cerveza for myself and mojito for my wife waiting for us.

The entertainment from what I heard was enjoyed by all. We spent all of our time at the beach in the day so never really took part in the daytime entertainment. The evening shows were typical for all inclusive resorts. All good.

We left the resort after 10 days and not 1 complaint. When we have finished vacations in the past, we always say that we would come back sometime...I can honestly say that we will be watching this resort and will be coming back for sure. Excellent food, service, location and staff...what more could you ask for.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank CAPER C
Reviewed 22 May 2012

First, I am embarrased about posting a review a year after staying at the GPR, but better late than never, I guess. I rely on TA reviews so much that it's not right I haven't posted one until now! Details and names of restaurants will be sketchy, but here are my thoughts on the property...

We are a family of four, I have 2 boys aged 8 and 11. We have traveled to the Riviera Maya many times, stayed at the Xcaret (AI) and also rented condos. We have experienced both types of vacations. I like the AI option for the convenience with the kids, but with so many fantastic restaurants in Playa Del Carmen, I also wanted to be able to eat out as well (and be super close to town). For us, the GPR was a perfect choice, and was chosen on location ONLY, I really hoped the rest would fall into place.

Rooms: Check in was frustrating, we booked an Ocean Front Walk Out and had asked for 2 double beds, but they only had a King available. Front desk was ok about it, and offerred to put 2 cots in the room, and also move us to a room the next day with 2 double beds (after much insistance on my part, though). It was a bit of a hassle, but it all worked out by day 2.5 and then I could finally relax. The room was nice, but too small for a family of 4. This was partially my fault in not having the smarts to book one of their family suites...I was stuck on the idea of having the "Ocean Front Walk Out". We did get good use of the private Cabana, and enjoyed being able to walk right out to the beach, but the lack of space in the room wasn't worth it for me personally. Now sure why they allow 4 people to be booked in these small rooms. Also, the Walk Out category boasted many things such as a pillow menu, Ipod dock, aromatherapy turn down service, etc...the front desk met me with blank stares when I asked about these things (I even brought a copy of their website listing these amenities to the front desk). After that, still no pillow menu, etc....if you want this kind of pampering and luxury, don't expect it at the GPR without having to fight for it.

Food: The food is ok at best, and the choices are limited because this is a smaller resort. The breakfast buffet was by far the best meal of the day (don't you hear that with most AI reviews?), and the kids loved the food by the pool (nachos, hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, etc...). The Italian restaurant good (the bread is amazing!). We didn't try the Mexican place. With our room category, we were able to eat at the Royal (no kids though) and had dinner at Asiana one night which was amazing! Men, don't forget to wear long pants and closed-toes shoes, though. Room service was ok, and fairly prompt. We ate in town quite a bit.

Pool/Beach: The beach is still a mess and full of sandbags. I knew that coming in, but to those who were picturing a beautiful beach vacation, I am sure this was quite a shock. We already had beach days planned in Tulum and Akumal, so I got my "beautiful beach" fix there. We loved the pool, and spent a lot of time there, however the towel game is terrible and in full force. Nobody at the resort does anything about it. The boys loved the pottery painting by the pool. Just fyi - they never used the kid's club so I can't comment on that.

Entertainment: Night time entertainment at the resort is almost non-existent, but when you are so close to PDC, who needs it?! We spent every night in town. The daytime entertainment staff works hard around the pool (Karina, Victor/Chicken), and were always nice with my kids.

Staff: This is what saves my review from being two stars....the SERVICE staff at the GPR are amazing (the front desk, not so much). The pool serving staff (Jose, Teresa, Pablo) work so very hard, I will never forget how well they took care of us. All of the food service staff went above and beyond too. We loved the guys at the swing bar also. I think the service staff and location are the resort's saving graces, because if those two things weren't in the equation, I am not sure who would want to willingly book here.

All in all, we had a great time - - and being close to town was a big plus for us. But thinking of the resort alone, my 3 star review comes from the poor(er) quality of food, the ambivalent front desk staff, the beach (just being honest here) and the size of the rooms. However, we did get a great deal, and you get what you pay for, right?

Room Tip: Go for a family suite if you have kids...the Ocean Front Walk Outs are nice, but too small
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank kaki321
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I want to say that I had the best person attending everything that I needed and I want to mension her name because you have to know that everything that you need she will help you, her name is Samantha Murga and she is part of the guest services in this hotel she always will be with a big smile for you,

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maricela R
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This review is a little late but I hope it helps
We stayed here from April 7th to 14th. This was our second time here we where here the same time last year. the reason why we came back was because of the exceptional service and our girls 9 and 5 requested it. Our visit got off to a rocky start as we where placed in room 262 right next to the elevator and stair well it was very loud with all the foot traffic and staff, plus the night time bar singers, but the next night we were put in room 270 a Family Junior Suite Oceanfront for the remainder of the stay. I would recommend at least to upgrade or book a Junior Suite well worth the money as compared to a cramped standard room.

The rooms where always well kept - cleaned and stocked up daily.
We thought the food was very good at all restaurants. I really like the fact that you do not need to reserve to get into the alacarte restaurants, all you need to do is show up. We went to the Mexican and Italian Restaurants once each after that we preferred the buffet style Albatros. We had excepetional service from Fiorencio and Carlos I would definetly seek them out again.

Our kids wanted to go to Oki kids club they enjoyed it so much they kept requesting it. They had dinner parties and beach disco parties and the ladies where outstanding in their care for all the kids. I would like to say thank you to Lau, Gina,Cynthia and Anne Sophie job well done.

I must say if you like lying around the pool good luck getting lounge chairs. We actually saw two couples fighting over their chairs. We told our girls if they want to go in the pools no problem, if they wanted to hang around the pools all day in the lounge chairs we may as well stay home and hang out at our community center. Word of mouth was you had to get up around 5 AM to put a towel on your chair. On the other hand we woke up in the morning went down for a nice breakfast in Albatros and strolled out to the beach approx. 8-9 AM and always got our four ocean view chairs under the cabanas no problem. The ocean was the reason why we came to Mexico.

We basically stayed close to the Resort and being close to 5th ave is a bonus and very safe. We did get away to Cozumel, it was a twenty minute walk (for the little legs) to the ferry terminal. Once we got off the ferry we took a cab to Chankanaab Park for some snorkeling (there is a fee to get in I believe it was 60 dollars for the four of us, this also gave you a tshirt and a can of pop or water) they also have a swim with the dolphins and manatees. The cabs a very safe and cheap it was about a 15 minute drive and cost 10 dollars there and 10 dollars back. The cab fares are a flat fee not timed like in Canada. We spent about six hours in Chankanaab and came home the visibility in the water was unbelievable and to see all the marine life was amazing the quantity of fish and the color was well worth the snorkeling. One tip is to bring your own mask and snorkels.

One final note we did alot of snorkeling in front of Gran Porto Real there is alot to see. People seem to complain about the sand bags on the beach, it really is not that big a deal. It was not an issue for us, a short walk across the pier in front of the Royal is some nice beach front and on a semi windy day you can actually body surf.
Also if you can take the guided bike tour it was very educational and you get to see some mini ruins in Playacar Victor did a very good job in touring us around.

I just want to say the Gran Porto Real is a fantastic resort the kids loved it to. If we can we hope to make back again soon.

The service is the one thing that sticks in y head the most. Everyone always has a smile on there face and a friendly Hola for you.
Thank You for another wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Juniour Suites are a must, compared to standard rooms they are well worth the extra money, we upgrad...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family