“3rd Time and still a charm”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #37 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was my third time at this resort. I stayed April 25th thru May 4th.I cannot state any more clearly the fantastic staff this resort has working for them. Thanks to Merriam,Adriana,Adal,David,Miguel,Rodrigo,Alex and Senor Victor the 24 hr lounge man.(he knows where the cookies are). The proximity to 5th Ave and the bars and restaurants on the resort property give you enough options to make it a great vacation. I have read some of the negative reviews, but staying here three times I have experienced what this resort has to offer
and I dont understand most of these complaints. I think some people dont know how to enjoy a vacation. I would like to mention one of the entertainment staff who was outstanding in his kindness and hospitality. VERLAIN he once again got me off my poolside lounge chair and involved me in some of the activities which I did enjoy. Wether I had questions about Mexican culture or things to do in Playa he was always there to help. Thank you Verlain job well done.
I do plan on returning here in the future
Thanks Brian H

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank brian h

Pros-
This resort was in a great location in which you could walk to the main shopping street in Playa del Carmen. It was nice being close to everything in case you did want to leave the resort. The employees at the resort were fabulous. The service was outstanding and very memorable. We loved Alejandro, the waiter at Maria’s Mexican Restaurant. The entertainment team was fabulous too…..Arturo Blanco was our favorite and he made all of our activities a fun experience. We also had fabulous beach service by Pablo, who would bring us our drinks every day.

Cons -
The beach wasn’t that great. There were sandbags in front of the resort which took away from a picturesque view, however if you walked a little ways down, the beaches were gorgeous. There also seemed to be more seaweed in front of this resort than others down the way. We still swam in the ocean though.

Neutral-
The food was fine. It was typical all inclusive level food…..not a fabulous culinary experience, however there are plenty of choices and you can find something you like in the buffets and a la carte restaurants. The one thing I did like is the selection of vegetables. I am not a vegetarian, however this resort seemed to have such a large selection of vegetable options that I felt like I was able to eat healthy……at least until I got to the desert bar.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ColumbusJess
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We LOVE the Riviera Maya area and vacation here every year. We added a second, shorter trip last year because we can't stand the long wait in between! Gran Porto Real has turned out to be a great value and location for adding that second stay. We don't love the food, but there is certainly no reason to go hungry, and it is all edible. We are trying to expand our "off campus" experiences and ventured out to eat at a local pizzeria. I also enjoyed a $20 massage on the beach just south of GPR.

We originally booked a standard room - these are in the older part of the building near the "quiet pool," but since it was our anniversary we asked about an upgrade. We got an ocean front room 335, and it was well worth the extra $$. I would NOT say that about ocean "view" rooms, as they actually face the street and for the most part look out onto The Royal. You can step onto your balcony and look to the right to find the ocean. Not bad rooms, I just wouldn't want to pay extra for those. Tips: 1) Ask to see the room if you are considering an upgrade and 2) bring an insulated cup with a straw for your drinks at the beach. They don't offer straws, and their cups are rather small, so a Tervis tumbler works great. It holds 2 drinks and keeps them cold.

Negatives:
Some confusion at the front desk about which wristbands we should have since we were return guests.

One person at guest services thought we could have the scotch in the in-room liquor dispenser exchanged for bourbon, but we were later told it could not be personalized.

Hot water didn't work in the shower for a couple of days. We thought it was just everyone showering at once, but when we finally remembered to ask about it, they fixed it right away.

Positives:
Location/view - you can't beat it. Even though the water in front of the hotel is not ideal due to sandbags and rocks, the beach itself is just fine. Chairs are close together, but if it's not at full capacity, people don't crowd in on you. I DO wish they would remove the extra chair between the cabanas. That would definitely give the illusion of more space.

Proximity to everything outside of the resort - again, you can't beat it. You can walk everywhere in town and enjoy restaurants, bars, etc. And for the value of this hotel, you can afford to do that without breaking the bank.

Waitstaff - everyone was very eager to please. Filiberto at the Italian Restaurant picked up on the fact that it was our anniversary and had our dessert personalized. A very nice touch! and Pablo at the beach remembered us from last year. He is AWESOME! I wasn't feeling great one afternoon and asked for a peanut butter sandwich. After much English to Spanish translation, he figured out what I wanted and showed up with it in about 10 minutes. Very much appreciated. Thanks for another 4 days in paradise!

All in all, a very good value for the money, and perfect for a short stay.

Room Tip: Choose ocean FRONT if you actually want a view of the ocean straight out your window. First floor oc...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wizkid60
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

This hotel has always been great, from waiter service to the maid service. My stays have always been really relaxing and fun, and of course it's in a great location minutes away from the ever extending fifth avenue. I have always experienced my first night in a different room however as the hotel seems to overbook frequently which is slightly annoying. Another down point these days is that the beach scene has lost it's laid back cool due the every expanding nature of playa and more spring breakers spilling over from cancun ( sorry really not my scene). That said I do always miss it when I leave :).

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Excellent service, food and hospitality... but OUTSTANDING animation staff: Arturo, Erick, Verlain, Edgar, Omar and Gilberto!!! Thank you for the memorable experience! Not only did you do a great job entertaining, but also made us feel part of the hotel family.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alexis L
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We were planning our vacation long time in advance so i had enough time to find the best property we would like to stay. And it was 100% right choice. I need to say that hotel is really great. Fist of all in terms of location, it s 10 min walking distance from downtown with lost of restaurants, bars, clubs, shopping areas and at the same time it s first line ocean view, nice territory, good room with amazing view and outstanding service. The food was also great, big range of restaurants in a hotel, menu is full of ranges. Also, i would like to stress animation team, who was great by doing different kind of activities every single day, especially, big thank you for ERIC, who was making sport activities, creating great atmosphere of real vacation time there, inspiring every day all hotel's guests. And of course the team , who was organizing tours from the hotel- SANTOS, CARIOS, VICTOR and CUISI -they all did a great job as well. We had a tour for snorkeling underwater, visiting senots, caves and jungle-that was an amazing journey! Thank you!! We loved the hotel so much and next time will come back only into this property!

Anastasia
Can Kara

Room Tip: Suites 339. 345-all this part, 3-rd floor are the best option with greatest view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anastasia K
Reviewed 10 May 2013

From the time we arrived, this resort treated us like family. If we had questions about something, they got us the answers as quick as possible. The selection of food was vast, no reason to hungry here. Yes, we have been to many resorts is very near to the top of my list for want to return. If you go say hi to Willy for me.
Peter
Nova Scotia
Canada

Room Tip: The third floor near the roof top pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple