“My experience I had at the Gran Porto Real”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #31 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I travel frequently throughout Mexico and South America and I am very understanding of what you get for your money, especially in an all-inclusive resort. I was here last week for a wedding and I can honestly say without a doubt, that this was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever stayed at.

But I'll start with the good first, because not everything was terrible.

The location is amazing. One of the best locations in Playa in my opinion. The hotel was walking distance to just about everything and was ideally located.

My room was ok, even though they promised me an ocean view, which I didn't get, and I ended up actually overlooking the street and into the hotel across the street. But the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. All in all, the room was not bad and I had no complaints.

The next good thing was the drinks. The bar service throughout the hotel was very good and they were always helpful and checking in on you, especially at the pool. They had most everything you could want and were good pours.

Now for the not so good. And I am holding back a lot here.

I am telling you with 100% honesty that the food at this resort was awful and not even edible. Mexico has some of the best food in the world, so it was even more disappointing not to be able eat some of the wonderful cuisines that are made locally. I spoke to many other hotel guests just to ask their opinion on the food and I heard the same thing over and over. I understand it is an all-exclusive vacation, and I can't always expect 5-star meals, but I would have expected much, much more. Instead, I spent every meal on 5th street eating at some of the amazing restaurants in town, which were delicious. I just should not have had to pay for every meal with an all-inclusive vacation.

The other thing that was really upsetting to me was the fact that I was literally blocked from hanging out with my friends and family staying across the street in the other hotel, Royal Playa, which by the way is owned by the same resort. Even though its the same hotel owners, they would not let me visit the Royal Playa and see the people I went on actually went there to go on vacation with.

There were security guards at the front that refused to let us in and didn't tell us why, just being rude and not helpful. I actually would have happily paid for my own drinks but they didn't want to hear any of it and asked us to leave. We finally figured out that if we pay $120 to the front desk, we were then granted access. But they hold your charge your credit card and hold your ID, so beware if you plan on going out later, because you won't have them in your wallet. I learned the hard way.

So I will never go back to this hotel, but plan on going back to Playa Del Carmen very soon and hope to stay at one of the small boutique hotels in the neighborhood, which look very nice.

Room Tip: Make sure you see your room before you check in. They promised me an oceanfront room and I ended up...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Josh S
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Mr. Josh S

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are truly sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please rest assured that we will share your valuable feedback with our team for our improvement and in order to achieve our guest’s entire satisfaction.

Hotel Gran Porto Real.

There are newer reviews for Gran Porto Resort

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We went to Mexico in playa del Carmen and we stayed at Gran Porto real and it was to much fun. The services is amazing with beautiful beach and very close to 5th Av. But the Sports and Entertainment staff was the best: we LOVE King Arthur because he is a really nice guy doing handcrafts and playing beach volleyball. But Verlan Angel Angie Omar Jesus Eliseo David Jesus Josue are really nice guys too. Definitely we come back to gran Porto real.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Ms. Brittney20

We would first of all like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us such an enthusiastic review! We are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort. As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom I`m sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and for granting us with the opportunity to host you at Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This post is long, but it is because I just can’t say enough about the people who work at Gran Porto Real! They are AWESOME!!!

I went to Mexico for the first time expecting to be astounded by the blue ocean and skies, but was more blown away by the hospitality, kindness and grace of the Gran Porto Real staff!
I’m the kind of person who likes to be active and meet new people. On my first day at Gran Porto, I noticed a huge activities board with everything from kayaking to salsa lessons. I was very excited to see all of the activities the resort had to offer, but felt a little shy to get engaged by myself. But that turned out not to be a problem!

OMAR!

We arrived at the pool on our first morning and were immediately approached by Omar, who greeted us and engaged us in conversation. He then invited us to join a cooking class later in the day and no more than 10 minutes later we invited to join in with the entire activities group for aqua aerobics! His friendliness and openness got our entire stay off to a great start! I also had the opportunity to visit with Omar later and enjoyed getting to learn more about him. Thank you, Omar, for always keeping us engaged in the activities! We appreciated and were complemented by each of your invitations!

ARTURO!

When it was time for the cooking class, I joined in with a group of guests I had not met before. This is where I met Arturo, another member of the activities staff. He, like the others, was extremely welcoming. What I found very notable during this class, was how skilled he was at getting the entire group of guests to engage in conversation with each other. He would mingle with a few, get them talking, then move on to get the others engaged. I was extremely impressed! Everyone felt so relaxed! Maybe I’ll invite him to host my parties! Thank you, Arturo, for all of your hospitality! Arturo also is excellent leader - especially with aqua aerobics! Watch out - he'll make you work, but you'll love it!

ERICA!

The cooking class took place next door at Maria’s. This is where I met Erica, a kind and pleasant woman who was very patient with teaching me how to make homemade corn tortillas. Thank you, Erica! I’m going to try to make them at home, but I’m sure they won’t be as good as yours! A few days later, I saw Erica in the kitchen at Gran Porto and was so excited to see her again! I love her smile and wish I could have gotten to know her better.

JOSUE CRISTOBAL!

That afternoon, we decided to go on a bike tour that was offered by the activities staff. This is where we met sweet Josue Cristobal!! He is one of the kindest, sweetest, most gentle young men I’ve ever met. He took us on a bike tour to Playacar. When we arrived there, we took a walk into the ruins and was so patient and kind with answering all of our questions. Josue works in the T-Zone and every day after we met him, we stopped to chat. We got to see him interact with the guests and he is very kind with the children and does an excellent job! We will certainly miss seeing, you, Josue!

ANGIE!

Sweet Angie! On our second day, we took a Yoga class offered by Angie. She did an excellent job of leading the class, which was a great combination of challenge and relaxation. Her soothing voice, mixed with the sounds of the ocean, were a great compliment to our morning. We had many interactions with Angie during our stay and she was always kind, sweet, helpful and gracious. She’s also a rocking volleyball player, so watch out! Thank you, Angie, for all of your hospitality! It was my pleasure to meet you!

ANGEL!

And last, but most certainly not least, is the newest member of the recreation team – Angel! Angel is a wonderful conversationalist and has a great way of making guests feel relaxed. We were able to enjoy the pleasure of his company during our last night at Playa. During nightly entertainment, he was able to answer all of our questions about the show, as well as give us great cultural and regional information of Playa and Mexico. Thank you, Angel, for making our last night a great one!

EVERYONE ELSE!
Each and every employee we met at Gran Porto Real extended the same level of warmth and hospitality, including the reception desk, dining and cleaning staff. I am sorry that I do not remember all of your names – but that just means I’ll have to come back again!

Thank you all for making my first visit to Mexico great! I can’t wait to make more memories! Gracias!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mariah K
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Ms. Mariah K

We want to thank to you for such a wonderful review and for taking the time to share it with us and with the other readers of TripAdvisor. As you will know at Gran Porto Real PLaya del Carmen our mission is to exceed the your expectation providing the best in service and high quality standards and safety, going beyond to anticipate any customer’s need. As for the staff members you have mentioned in your review, we will make sure to pass on your kind comments to all of them, whom I`m sure, like you mention in your kind review did everything with love in order to make your stay unforgettable.
We sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was there for my brother's wedding and according to them the wedding planner worked everything stress free. See "Our wedding at GPR".

The not so great that I couldn't have cared less about but for you hard to please people:

There were a lot of family and friends arriving at different times, my parents requested that we were all close together and we were...maybe too close. I could hear everything coming from the room next to me from a cough to the exact conversation going on. There was no door on the showers in the junior suites - weird but no big deal. Turn down service comes anywhere from 5 p.m to 9 p.m.

The beach directly in front of the hotel is not swimmable or even fit for wading. Sand bags, boats, boat lines and tons of seaweed. It's fit for watching the fishermen, and enjoying the sea air. If you can swim in the ocean, you shouldn't have a problem walking the 5 minute walk to the left for pristine beach and swimming or wading. Now, there are approximately 2 boulders the size of tires under 4 feet of water over the span of a mile, I managed to break a toe on one so be careful if you're accident prone.

The entertainment at night works very well, they have talent. What needs to be done is to have the volume dropped by about half. They play in the Lobby Bar and even when we sat out on the terrace and closed the doors we could barely hear each other. Again, not bad just WAY TOO LOUD! The stage show beside the pool is interesting.

The great:

The staff. All of them were very helpful and extremely polite. They knew their drinks, for sure. The maids and fridge guy went above and beyond. I asked for 9 bottles of water one day and he didn't even blink, he just said no problem and filled my fridge. My maid, Amelia, always had my room in perfect order and let me tell ya - I am ridiculously messy person.

Emma at Parrilla Grill is very friendly even when you spill 2 drinks in a matter of minutes .

Alejandro F at Albatros served me a lot and seemed genuinely disappointed that we were leaving. Mariano does the omelettes, he laughed at me, every time I ordered from him. I asked him why and he said "Because you're so happy all the time", he makes a helluva good omelette.

Hector C at the Lobby Bar remembered all the different drinks I liked and made a point of making sure I liked whatever he made me.

At Gaviotas, the pool bar, Miguel, Adal B, and Pablo H are good considering I always had a drink no matter where I was around the pool.

Maricruz Soto at the front desk saved us from losing a diamond wedding ring and band hours after my parents had checked out and forgotten them. She had a maid literally run to meet me at the room, I had the rings in a matter of minutes. The check in and checkout was seamless and the welcome drink was delicious.

For you people who say they offer you extra nights or to win a trip to post here - you're full of it. They ask that you give them a review on tripadvisor and that's all. I mention names because I think sometimes it's nice for individuals to be recognized, how good do you feel when your employer recognizes a job well done? Exactly.

The food: Beach Grill - hamburgers were good!
Albatros (Buffet) - Breakfast was good, lunch was not good, borderline bad and the
dinners were unacceptable. I am NOT a picky eater.
Health sushi bar - I hated it but I was the only one of about 20 people so I think that
was just an off day.
Il Pescatore (Reservations) - It was okay, truly mediocre
Maria's Mexican - Decent food, ask for the special tequilla. Made my lips numb and
my legs warm.
24 Hour Bar - Food is gross. Booze is limited but they will get you whatever you want.
The guys that work in there are under appreciated and I'm
embarrassed that I didn't get any of their names.

A few of us ventured to 5th Ave for dinner one night when I just couldn't take the dinners at GPR anymore. We went to Madre Tierra's and had steak and lobster and lobster spaghetti. The steak and lobster was the cheapest we could find at 375 peso. Most restaurants were charging 450 - 880 pesos. It was delicious and very comfortable, just a beautiful restaurant.

The pool table is 20 peso's per game, good luck finding coins to use it took us 4 days.

I was never approached by any timeshare people but it did happen to some in my group. A polite "No thank-you" works wonders!

The pool is not small, I don't understand why people say that. It's a good temperature.

My advice for this resort or any other - RELAX! Don't go expecting to be treated like you're royalty - you aren't. You are a guest and the more polite, relaxed and understanding you are the better time you'll have.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side, facing the sister hotel seemed MUCH quieter than the others. If you aren...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank coldcalgarian
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear coldcalgarian

On behalf of Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen staff and myself we want to take this opportunity to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a positive review. We will make sure to tell all our staff members that you have mentioned what a great job they are doing and to keep up the good work, whom I`m sure did everything out of love in order to make your stay unforgettable. . It is our biggest joy knowing that we exceeded your expectations and we truly hope to have the pleasure of doing it once again!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for 7 days, 6 nights. The resort is approx. a half hour from the airport. We used Lomus Travel for the round trip transportation- they were on time and very attentive.

Check in- We came in as a group of 20 people and check in was very easy. They had welcome drinks waiting. Rooms are not ready until 3pm( maybe a little before). This resort requires bracelets. Make sure you get a bag check ticket, we did not get one and had to help find our bags later in the day.

Rooms: Very nice. We stayed in a Junior Suite on the second floor. The room was very nice and clean. The bathroom does not have a bathtub. Three rooms in our group had a problem with the warm water- we only have very cold water in the showers. Our room was fixed the second night. Also, if you are going with a group make sure they have all the rooms assigned correctly. We had 2 couples that got 2 queen beds instead of 1 king bed. My late 60's aunt and uncle received a room with bunk beds and a children's put put outside their walk out balcony. All three couples were able to switch to the correct rooms the next day.

Beach/Pool: The pool is great! There is a ledge area to hang out on with a foot deep of water. The main pool is the activity pool and there is a quiet pool on the other side of the hotel. The main pool doesnt have a swim up bar but there are FANTASTIC poolside servers that will have drinks to you before you order- Jesus was our favorite!! There are plenty of chairs around the pool if you are down there before 10:00am.
The beach is HORRIBLE. This resort is not for beach lovers. There are sand bags, rocks and sharp objects in the water. The sand bags make the beach look very trashy. We are beach lovers and only attempted to get in the water once. I would not recommend this hotel for beach people.

Food/Drinks: Food at the buffet( Albatros) was good. We went with a group and nobody had a problem finding something to eat. We also went to the Mexican restaurant and Italian restaurant- both were good! We had vegans and vegetarians in our group and no one had problems finding great food. The room service is also very good.
The cocktails were good. Dos Equis on draft and nothing is watered down. Plenty of fruity drinks.If you upgrade your room, there are alcohol dispensers in your room.

Resort: Not very big and a great size for a group. We never had trouble finding people in our group.
The staff is constantly working and maintaining the resort. This resort has by far the best customer service we have ever received at an all-inclusive. The resort is very close to the main shopping area in Playa del Carmen. Everyone in our group loved the location of our resort. If you are used to the secluded all-inclusive resorts, this resort is in the middle of the town and has a lot of traffic. ( The resort has a lot of "unseen" security protecting the premises)

Entertainment: The day time entertainment was great! We took advantage of the bike rides around town ( Thanks to Angel- he does a great job!), the beach and water volleyball, guacamole and margarita making and bracelet making. They have plenty to do. There is even a lazy game. We didn't take advantage of the nightly entertainment- it starts at 9:45. The main lobby has nightly bands that are really good.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the rooms close to the lobby. The music is loud. We stayed in Rm 250 and had a great view.

If you want a day excursion, head over to Cozumel and try the glass bottom boat snorkeling. Remember to bring enough cash or your photo ID- the island doesnt take credit cards without photo ID.

Wedding Tip: We had our wedding here and as much as we loved the resort from the sand up and the staff, I would not recommend this resort for a wedding. We wanted a picturesque beach wedding. We had a beautiful wedding with dirty sand bags in the back ground. If you choose to have a wedding here, go with the Mexican wedding. The mariachi band was awesome.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jeanna j

Dear jeanna j

We appreciate for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and we want you to know that we do take our guests´ comments very seriously as they tell us what we are doing right, wrong, and how can we improve it. Please rest assured that issues you raised have been address and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.
Once again thank you for staying with us, we really hope to have a second chance of do it once again.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were attending a wedding at that Royal. At the very last minute we got bumped to the Gran Porto Real. Needless to say we were pretty upset at first. But after arriving we could not have been happier. It was more laid back than the Royal. The staff and the hotel were amazing. We could go back and forth between both resorts. Our stay was incredible.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank dovecanyon

Dear dovecanyon

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your positive review! It makes us so happy to know that you had a wonderful holiday with us and want to also thank you for granting us with the opportunity to host you.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just got back yesterday from our wedding trip at Gran Porto Real. It was SO MUCH FUN and really well done.

Lorena was our wedding consultant and she made our day so special. She listened to every one of our requests, and made our dreams come true. Not even once did I get stressed out the whole wedding day. From beginning to the end she really had control of things and made it so we didn't have to worry about a thing.

The resort was great too - the food was good and the rooms were a little small but who wants to spend all their time in their rooms anyways? The best part of this resort BY FAR is their staff. Mostly everyone is so friendly and just want to make you happy. Our maid / bar refill service did a great job and came everyday, I barely had to wait for a drink the whole time there, and everyone greets you with their hand above their heart saying "hola". Our concierge lady was amazing - spoke perfect english and was so very helpful.

The only problem we had, was not with the resort, but with the "Best Day" representatives. (they are related to Air Canada Vacations) They were argumentative, rude, and were caught in several lies about excursion pricing. They were not only rude to me, but also to my family. If I were the manager of GPR I would not even let those snakes in my resort.

If you don't deal with the best day representatives, you will have an AMAZING time. We have been to several all inclusives throughout the years and we haven't said we will return back to another resort until we came here. It's close proximity to town really made the experience even better. Just a 5 minute walk and you are on 5th avenue for great food, pubs and shops.
Every time we travel to the Mayan Riviera we will be staying here!

Room Tip: Room 282 is pretty quiet - upgraded junior suite
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank folkde
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear folkde

Thank you very much for sharing with us and all others your experience. It is always so rewarding to know that our staff went above and beyond to make your wedding day memorable. Please rest assured that the staff members you have mentioned in your review will all know what an outstanding job they are doing for our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future!

Sincerely