“Thoroughly enjoyable vacation for family.”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #30 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Toronto, Canada
“Thoroughly enjoyable vacation for family.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My fiance, daughter (6) and I enjoyed our holidays last week (Jul 4-11) at Gran Porto Real.
We found the staff of this resort to be caring, kind, and hardworking. There is a kids club which our daughter always enjoyed spending a couple hours at (you can not leave resort if you leave your child there). We found the property quite busy and never did manage to get a poolside bed with an umbrella :( as there were so few and they always got taken by people putting their towels down (and sometimes never coming back). We enjoyed the food at buffet and a la carte's and found the 24-hour snack bar very convenient.

The one negative, was the time share-like sales pitch they put us through on my birthday (of all days). Yuck - it was not fun and the pitch was super pushy and we ended up standing and leaving. Just avoid this; unless, of course, you are in the market to pay $20K+ for they "points" memberships.

Anyway, one of the GM's (Eduardo) treating my fiance and I to a lovely private romantic dinner on the beach which was a gem of a time and made up for the sales pitch morning.

There is not much of a beach front at this property. It is lined with sandbags, thick seaweed, and high drops not making it at all possible o use the beachfront. We walked along the shore to other beaches (Mamitas, I think it is called) to enjoy the beach.

Hopefully this helps.
Our waiter, Carlos in the buffet was wonderful, as were a lot of the other staff.

Lastly, it is worth the upgrade to a Jr. Suite as the regular rooms are very small and for the most part do not have balconies. Our suite was gorgeous and everyday new animals were made with the towels which made my little girl light up with delight.

All-in-all, a wonderfully memorable holiday and we may go back.

Room Tip: Junior Suite and upwards.
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Ms. SaraDow

On behalf of Gran Porto Real Playa del Carmen staff and myself we want to first of all congratulate you for your wedding! We also want to thank you for taking the time to share your review with us.
We want to let you know that the comments and observations we receive from our guests are always taken very seriously, as they tell us what we are doing right, wrong, and how we can improve it, which is why we truly appreciate your willingness to share your impressions.
We will be delighted to host you once more and exceed you expectations.

Hotel Gran Porto Real & SPA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,742)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our stay was from April 4-11, 2014. I recorded all of our review during and post stay however hadn't had a chance to post until now.

A girlfriend and myself booked this trip last minute based mainly on location and of course the property itself looked nice as well. After reading many reviews, everything from awful to great we decided to give it a try and form our own opinion.

We are well travelled ladies in our early 30's, don't ask for much, clean room, bedbug free resort, nice beach and pool area, a few restaurants with good food and most importantly a property that prides themselves on customer service.

After travelling from Toronto to Cancun we boarded our bus that was included in the price of the trip. Don't buy beer or beverages once you collect your luggage as they hose you on the price. Wait until you walk to your bus, the rep will have cold water and beer for a couple US Dollars. After waiting about 35mins on the bus for everyone to arrive before we could depart I decided I would ask the rep how much a taxi would cost to get to our property instead of waiting any longer and having to make all of the stops at other properties to drop others off. I was informed that it would take us about 60-70mins depending on traffic and a taxi would cost us about $120 US and would only save us about 15mins. We decided to suck it up and go with the free ride. What a mistake! After waiting 45mins on the bus before we departed the airport it took us 2 HOURS in total to get to this property.

My immediate reaction when seeing this hotel was it reminded me of a hostel like property I stayed at in my teenage years. We approached the front desk around 215pm and was told by the most unfriendly front desk agent I've ever come across in all my years, 'the room wasn't ready and that was that.' I asked if we could grab some lunch and she said yes in the restaurant. I'm sorry, did she forget I was standing before her to check in and had no clue where the restaurant was?!?!?! Didn't say anything else other than, 'you can leave your bags and they'll be brought to the room and check in time is 3pm.' The check in time is at 3pm, I was told this a few times by her.

We went to the restaurant serving lunch, which is buffet style. Ordered drinks from the server. I had club soda with lemon, would you believe that not one of the food outlets or bars have straws to drink out of because its bad for the environment we were told on numerous occasions. Went up to the buffet only to walk right back to the table empty handed. We thought maybe it was because it was at the end of lunch everything was mostly empty. Anyhow, at 315 we went back to the desk to be checked in only to told our room still wasn't ready but someone was going to come speak to us about the package we booked on and the resort and offerings. This is simply a stalling tactic. After another 20mins our room was ready.

The nice gentleman escorted us to our room with our luggage. I forgot to mention that we had upgraded to a Junior Suite Ocean View at the time of booking. After scoping out the room we went to the balcony only to have NO Ocean View, rather street view and face the hotel across the way directly. We didn't even unpack. Went down to the front desk and asked about the room we were in. The young lady that checked us in said this was an ocean view room. I said to her unless you hang off the balcony and have a neck like a giraffe you don't stand a chance. She was very condescending and speaking over us to her co-workers in Spanish. I asked to be room changed and she carried on speaking Spanish, walked her way to the back room for only a colleague to step in. There were no rooms available at best until tomorrow.

We ended up dropping off our stuff back in the room and headed to the Sushi Bar Restaurant on the roof top, in hopes of finding something to eat there. Nice location. The chef makes fresh ready to order sushi which I didn't have but my friend did and she said it was okay. I asked for Sashimi (raw fish, no rice) and they don't do that even though they use the fish for the rolls. Strike 2.

Okay, to dinner at 530 instead of 730 because we were hungry. Went to Maria's. Service was bang on! Food, not so much. Average at best. Steak very fatty.

We walked across the street to the Royal Playa which is there sister property. Very friendly bellmen at the front entrance and very helpful. We walked around to have a peek of this resort and as soon as we walked into the lobby, we knew this is where we should have been. Beautiful lobby, open concept, immaculate, large, gorgeous flowers, etc. We were asked if we could be helped out and we said that we were wondering if there was availability at this property. We were guided to a bookings desk and someone came to assist us. We were told that nothing could be done at that time in the evening as to relocating us, we would have to book an appt the following morning to discuss our options. So, we booked in and were told that come the morning, before our appt we could try breakfast out in the restaurant complimentary, come for our appt and use the pool facilities for the day before we made any decisions on relocating, we thought BONUS!

Next morning rolls around and make our way to our appt at The Royal, figured we'd do breakfast after. Long story short, the appt booked for was some time share garbage. We explained we were not interested we were just looking at transferring from Gran Porto Real to The Royal. Again, they kept pushing time share. Offering a beach bag, 200.00USD if we went to a presentation that would only take 90mins, as well as a spa credit. We could not put it in simpler English terms that we were not interested. At one point the gentleman from Guest Services, said ok he understands and then takes us to another desk and drops us off to speak to 2 ladies about changing rooms, only to find out he had registered us for a time share presentation. We went right back to see him and asked what it was going to cost for us to be moved from our current hotel to The Royal. After 1.5hrs and phone calls and lengthy explaining we were told it would cost us each an additional 200.00USD to use the facilities i.e. restaurants, bars and pools at The Royal, but could not room change as the hotel was not available for all nts during our stay. We had agreed to the price as this also gave us a room upgrade to a Beachfront Walkout at Gran Porto.

All in all, after the room change to a Beachfront Walkout we had a great time. We did not use the pool facilities any longer than the first day as we spent all our time at The Royal. The pool area at Gran Porto was very noisy with children and was a fairly small pool. The beach is non-existent at this property and we strongly suggest that if you are going to this property for the beach specifically and/or are beach lovers, you will be extremely disappointed as its made up of sand bags and rocks. The staff, besides the front desk gal at check in were very friendly and always went out of their way to ensure your requests and needs were met. The rooms are spotless as well as the resort. Without the customer service, this resort wouldn't survive. The gym is the size of a shoe box, and has no ventilation. One morning, every piece of cardio was in use and about 4 others using weights, it was hotter inside than out.

The Royal, is a child free environment, which was brilliant! The pool as well as resort again, was spotless. The cleaners in the poolside toilets had always made sure that facility was well maintained. The resort staff…..ALL OF THEM, were fantastic, from servers to pool entertainment, etc. Lunch restaurants served and/or offered an array of items, from vegetarian, to meat lovers, to gluten-free options. The gym is MUCH nicer than Gran Porto. Lots of cardio equipment, free weights and machines. They also offer SPIN classes, about 5 bikes available and need to sign up for classes. STOTT Pilates is another class being offered here, again sign up to ensure a spot. Lots of space in this gym and air well circulated, as well as tis above cardio equipment to help pass time:) The night entertainment at the shows were well organized and worth seeing. The spa was nice and enjoyable. I had a facial with was relaxing and my friend, a massage. No complaints in that department. Interesting point, this hotel goes against the 'No Straw Policy' as you can get them poolside and/or in restaurants, found that to be odd. If staying as a Gold Member at The Royal reservations are not necessary, all restaurants will find you a seat.

We wouldn't rush back to either property, however if we had to choose and/or recommend a hotel to you, it would definitely be The Royal all day long!

Room Tip: Ocean Front Walk Out Rooms - we got hit with a storm that lasted about an hour, but flooded our room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank gymgirl82
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Mrs. gymgirl82

Thanks for your comments.

Alvord, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Pablo was of great service around the pool and the entertainment staff was awesome. Rooster, Eric, Omar and the rest of the crew made sure the kids had a blast. The only down side was the rocky beach on this side of the resort.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Mr. firefightermt

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.
We sincerely hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Watchung, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Grand Porto Real is a beach front, up to date property nicely located at the center of all in Playa del Carmen.
The entire staff is fully committed to cater to your every need and to provide you with the outmost service, they gave their best efforts with all their heart to make sure that our family achieved full satisfaction.
As an All Inclusive the Grand Porto provided us with great food, great service and great entertainment, the property is well kept clean and quaint and we would definetly come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for ocen front view, some Jr suites do not have ocean view
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Ms. sunseeker515

Thank you for your wonderful review and for mentioning the personalized service by our staff. It is wonderful to know that you truly enjoyed your visit.
Hoping to be welcoming you back to Gran Porto Real & SPA soon, I send you my warmest regards.

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Got to the resort after check in time and room was not ready. We waited at the ONE resturant on site, food was ok. We paid for double bed with an ocean view. We got a king bed with 2 cots and view was looking at parking lot/adjacent resort. Had to walk out to the balcony and lean over to see the ocean. The hotel staff argued with all my requests. We were stuck with that room for the night. This is the worst beach I have ever been to!!!! Not only was it eroded, it had a horrible smell!!!! The service was subpar. I had to go to 3 different bars to get serivce. One had staff member there but was told it was closed. I went to the 2nd bar near the lobby and stood there for 5-10 minutes and they had no one behind the bar. Finally, i went to the bar by the pool to get service. The beer was warm and stale tasting. The next morning I went to front desk to request a better room. They did offer an ocean front at no additional charge, again one bed and 2 cots and the smell from the beach was horrible. I finally just called my travel agent and booked another Resort. Went to the Iberostar Parisio, WONDERFUL PLACE!!!!! i will never stay at a Real resort again.

4 Thank Mark V
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Mr. Mark V

Thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a week vacation at GPR. My wife and I have stayed across the street at The Royal, the sister resort, several times but stayed at the GPR since we were bringing our 3 and 4 year olds with us. We also brought our respective mothers and every one had a great time!

If you have stayed at The Royal you will realize the level of service and overall experience at GPR is not on the same level. However, compared to other resorts or if this is your first time the resort is great!

Here are some more specifics on the resort:

Rooms- we stayed in the 1 bedroom Suite and were very happy with our room. It was very large, clean and had two separate rooms. One draw back was they use roll away beds for the kids since the suite only has a king size bed. The roll away beds take up most of the living room part of the suite. GPR, you should plan a better set-up. I can't imagine we are the only couple who wanted to bring our young children but also wanted to enjoy some alone time with out sacrificing the suites real estate. The view from the suite was AMAZING! The balcony was large and since most of the evening shows were performed outside we could enjoy them from our balcony, a huge plus! Our mothers stayed in a Junior Suite w/ Ocean View. Both rooms were nice and clean but they were much smaller.

Room Service/Mini-Bar- there were limited options provided and if you requested something specific it was hit or miss if you would receive it. For example I requested Tecate Light and was told they only supplied Superior beer. After some escalation they were able to swap Tecate Light but it was not as easy as it should be.

Concierge- We belong to the Real club and Carlos was our Concierge. In my opinion this is the part of the resort where the GPR needs to improve. Overall the only thing they did was take a reservation IF it was available. I view a concierge as someone that is able to make your vacation easier. For example, they should assist with the beer example above or get you a great table at the restaurant even if none are available (especially if you are staying in the most expensive suite). In this circumstance they provided no assistance and really aren't necessary.

Food/restaurants- the choices are very limited. There is only a buffet open for breakfast. Buffet and a outdoor Grill for lunch. The Buffett opens at 12:30pm for lunch which is far to late especially since there are not many options. For dinner you can choose Buffet, Mexican or Italian. Even though the choices are limited all of the food was very good (you can't expect gourmet at an all-inclusive). We had access to the restaurants next door and are there some of the lunches and dinners but were not able to bring the kids.

Pool- the pool was great! No issues getting the lounge chairs we wanted. We spent most of the time by the pool and enjoyed excellent service from Pablo and Cales. Big shout out to Cales.

Beach- the beach is in rough shape. Personally I prefer the pool so it was not an issue for me. My mother in-law really enjoys the beach and was forced to go across the street to The Royal. It's not terribly far but it is some what of an inconvenience.

Entertainment- the GPR have a GREAT activity crew! King Arthur (Arturo), Verlain, Eric, Chris and Jesus are the best!!! They have activities for everyone and they work incredibly hard to make sure everyone has a great time. There is a show each night and we enjoyed most of them. The White Party and Fire Show were are favorites. We were there for a family vacation and the show was enough for us. If you need more of a party scene see Jesus for Coco Bongo tickets or head out to 5th Avenue just a short walk for many options.

Location- incredible location! Just a short walk from 5th Ave. You can't beat the location.

I know this is a long review but I hope it helps the GPR improve as well as help other families make their vacation decisions.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Michael S
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Mr. Michael S

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Had an excellent time here. Met lots of new faces and drank a lot of drinks I cant even pronounce. I also fell in love with the receptionst at the front desk. All in all, amazing time and will definitely return sometime in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gord A
Edwin B, Gerente at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear guest,

It is our true pleasure to read that you truly enjoyed our beautiful resort. Thank you in particular for mentioning the attentiveness of our staff as they are our key factor in creating a most memorable experience.
We certainly hope to able to welcoming you back soon and wend you our warmest regards.