“Surprisingly good”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #89 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was a remarkably good stay, particularly because I had not fully realised I'd booked an 'all-inclusive' resort as it is generally not my style, I like to be independent. However ... well organised, neat and tidy, food was very, very good, in particular the Don Diego 'A la carte' restaurant (not so keen on the the Portofino), breakfast in the 'Terrace' was extensive. It would be unfair to comment on the room quality, as when I arrived very late and the Ocean View room was not available, so I was upgraded to the owner's suite (which was something else - very smart!). Beach, pool, facilities very smart, similar to a lot of the resorts on that coast. Very suitable for families with teenagers needing something to do in a relatively controlled environment. I am not sure I would go back, but for what it is I was suitably impressed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank UKDiver2007
VivaWyndhamMaya, Director General at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your positive comments and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful all-inclusive Resort. It is very important to us to receive feedbacks and to know that you had a pleasant vacation.

Please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (6,919)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is our second time to the Riviera Maya, last time we stayed at Barcelo Maya. I was a little worried going after reading some negative reviews about this place and also knowing it was a lower class hotel than the Barcelo. My first immediate impression was not good when we got into our room. We were in building 1 room 1220. The hallway leading to the room was very dark and musty smelling. Once we reached our room and opened the door we were hit in the face with humidity and must. I checked our balcony view which was a view of the back of the pool buffet and part of the trapeze. Not impressed at all and very disappointed. We decided to keep an open mind and leave the room to check things out outdoors. The weather was overcast and some light rain which added to the gloomy atmosphere of the resort. We took a walk over to the sister property along the beach and immediately were impressed with this resort. The atmosphere is far more upscale than the Maya. We were so impressed we asked to be moved to this resort immediately. Unfortunately we were unable to do it, but instead were offered a room change the next day. We showed up at the lobby the next afternoon and were given the room keys to check out our new room. Much much nicer, building 2 room 2105 ground floor facing the beach and pool. Much cleaner, and there was a dehumidifier in the room which worked excellent. Even the hallways were much brighter and more inviting. The beds were very comfortable and the pillows nice and fluffy. There were cute towel animals every day on the bed. The shower was huge and offered great water pressure. Not a fan of the vessel sink, but it looked nice. Ask for a dehumidifier in the room, it not only kept the room less damp but also provided a nice white noise that drowns out any noises from the pool bar, theater, and hallways. We slept great! However the a/c was too cold, I was chilly every night. Bring warm sleeping clothes.

Buffet......what can I say. I went with an open mind expecting terrible food in a miserably hot atmosphere. I was wrong. The food was fantastic, it wasn't that hot in there if you sat to the right when you walk in the door. Always a nice breeze and the ceiling fans really keep you cool. The wait staff were all very friendly and happy. The food was really excellent, we enjoyed all 3 meals there. Lots of variety and very clean. I worried about improper food temps with it being so hot in there but they really do rotate the food so frequently that it doesn't sit long enough to get spoiled. Lots of ice baths for the cold items in ceramic containers kept things nice and cold. The fresh fruit was always so delicious. We liked the buffet so much that we gave up one of our ala carte nights so we could enjoy it one more day. Big shout out to our waiters Henry and Alejandro in the buffet, they were so sweet and always took great care of us!

Ala Carte's.....we only went to IL Paco and Don Diego. Did not enjoy the food at IL Paco at all. The atmosphere was very upscale but the food gross. The filet was a perfect circle of gamey tasting meat. Not sure it was even beef. We liked Don Diego better but still not great. We aren't foodie's so probably why we preferred the simple stuff at the buffet.

Bars....we had the best cappuccino's every morning from the lobby bar and enjoyed sitting in the courtyard before breakfast enjoying a cup. Also enjoyed great iced frappuccino's, frozen cocktails, mojito's, etc. All great.

Beach......the beach was AWESOME!!!! Beautiful turquoise color, crystal clear, and soft white sand. What more could you ask for? Some days there were HUGE waves which would knock you down but the kids were happy riding them. We did have trouble finding chairs under a palapa but probably because we were getting out there around 11am. Didn't use the pool much when you have that gorgeous warm ocean why would you? There were lots of activities around the pool which were fun to watch. Belly flops contest, kicking a flip flop the farthest, arm wrestling, salsa lessons, zumba, etc. The staff really work hard to make sure you have a good time at the pool and beach. The food at the pool was ok. Good enough to eat, the pizzas were great as were the french fries. Always loved the guac and pico, yum! Be careful when eating there. We witnessed a bird eating desserts right from the buffet. Yuck. Make sure what you grab is freshly put out.

Shows....the theater shows were great! Comedy, 70's, game night (hilarious), Hollywood night, etc all the shows were good.

Staff....we found most staff to be very friendly and accommodating with the exception of a few. The guy who runs the pottery painting was very sweet. Eder at the pool bar is a sweetheart! Henry and Alejandro in the evening buffet were the best!!!

All in all we really enjoyed this place despite our first impression. I would definitely recommend this resort to my friends. We even liked it better than the Barcelo property. It was a great value and we literally felt treated like royalty. Mexicans are the most hard working appreciative people we have ever encountered. Love vacationing in Mexico!!! So please people, take the negative comments with a grain of salt and make your own opinion. Give this place the benefit of the doubt and you will be sure to have a fantastic time like we did.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing beach and pool in building 2. Also request a dehumidifier, it helps keep the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Karen B

Dear guest,

We highly appreciate the fact that you took your precious time to write a detailed review.

We are thrilled to hear you had an excellent time with your family and that you were able to enjoy all of the services offered at our Resort. Also your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip is greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests.

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic and motivating comments and we assure you that we will try our utmost to make your next visit as enjoyable as the first one. Be sure to ‘Like’ us on Facebook to be the first one to learn about upcoming specials and promotions.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We travelled with our kids ages 5, 10 and 12. The rooms were not luxurious, the pool area is not that big, but the customer service,& all fun activities such as pool aerobics, merenge lessons, trapeze classes, kids club were awesome! My kids had a blast, everyday there was something new and fun to do, the entertainment team became our friends, getting to know our names and making the stay wonderful. The beach is beautiful, location is so close to xcaret and xplore. Both worth visiting. the food delicious, so many choices and a la carte restaurants were extremely good! Loved everyone being so friendly. I highly recommend for families w kids.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank tanita75

Dear customer,

We sincerely appreciate your positive review about your vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Our goal is to provide all of our guests with an enjoyable and happy vacation experience. We are glad to know that the friendliness of our Animation Team and the fun activity program made sure this goal was achieved.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at our Resort and provide you with a second unforgettable stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Myself and husband stayed at this resort for two weeks ,so here is our honest review.
Rooms no complaints, comfortable and all you need.
Staff, the animation team are brilliant and so talented, they work long hours and do a fab job. They do not pester you but simply invite you to join in.
Bar staff ,hard working and helpful, with one exception , Alejandro(spelling maybe out abit) pool bar, rude moody and very unhelpful, I was going to complain but thought I mention him on here instead,we didn't tip him because of this and believe me we always leave a tip.
The cleaners do a fab job everyday.
Food, now I have read lots of different reviews regarding food, some saying, well for the money what do you expect and they have to cater for so many, well so do all buffet restaurants I have known a lot better, I don't agree with these comments. The buffet restaurant was great for breakfast and lunch, but very poor for the evening meal ,in my opinion this was the only thing that let the hotel down, improvement here would see me giving this hotel a good 8 out of 10.
A-la-carte restaurants were brilliant, we enjoyed 6 very well presented meals with really good service at both the Maya and the sister hotel the Azteca ,well worth a visit.
The beach is lovely ,white sand and lovely clear blue water ,both pools are good ,if you want to get away from the crowd ,the relax pool is great, and the waiter there is great too.
We enjoyed sitting in the court yard in the evenings, and loved the walk ways with all the plant and wildlife.
Trips, we booked with OK Tours(next to the Navy base on the front) and done the Whale sharks and Xel-ha ,brilliant, the Whale sharks were just amazing I can not recommend highly enough and Xel-ha as always is just a great day out all inclusive, food really good.
We paid $119.00 USA for Xel-ha but if you go with the local bus service its only $89.00 USA in PDC.
We ate out several times ,I have to mention firstly OH-LAA just amazing food and service perfect, give it a go you will want to go again ,I had two courses,husband had three, plus a bottle of wine and two liquor coffees $1,400 pesto .
Also LA-Mission lovely little court yard great food and service, one thing here go hungry, boy do they feed you.
We really enjoyed this holiday and would go back and recommend to others.
Oh forgot to mention location is great ,a short walk to PDC or 70 pesto in a taxi, better still take a free bike from the hotel, its a easy ride and good fun.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reillyCheshire
VivaWyndhamMaya, Director General at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

We work every day with the commitment to provide a quality service to all of our guests. It is a joy to hear that we achieved our constant goal in your recent visit to our property. Rest assured that all your comments, both pros and cons will be shared with the involved departments in order to continue improving the quality of our services.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Viva Wyndham Maya resort, Mexico in July 14 and luckily the good outweighs the bad. Firstly I would say that this is definitely a 3 star resort, a few small issues if resolved could probably give it a better rating. One small complimentary bottle of water for the duration of our stay seemed like a joke when coping with 31 degree heat every day, we didn't go all inclusive to have to buy drinks every day, also we never got the room that we were apparently upgraded to (superior sea view), our room overlooked the back of the buffet restaurant which was noisy. Also the corridors adjoining the rooms have tiled floors and echo quite badly meaning constant noise from people wheeling suitcases, cleaning staff trolleys and other guests talking etc. Also didn't think the staff were helpful at all other than the guys on the shuttle / activity booking desk, the others didn't really want to know when we needed help and throughout the hotel the language barrier was a little trying at times. There is also a distinct lack of information at this hotel, whether it be for what restaurants are available and how to book them, what facilities the hotel has to offer or activities being held. Onto the plus points, the swimming pools and beach were great, in particular the quiet pool towards the front of the hotel (apart from the extremely rude and ignorant French guest we encountered during our stay). The beach is beautiful, very clean and is one of the highlights of staying here. Also the location of the hotel is great, about a 50 minute transfer from the airport and situated in a small gated community which was just a short walk from Playa del Carmen, the area felt very safe and featured a variety of small market stalls and shops, alternatively you can walk down the beach to get to Playa del Carmen. Walking in the opposite direction on the beach (to the right of the hotel) provided a long stretch of unspoilt beach which was very quiet most of the time. The hotel itself was very clean and the grounds well kept, lots of nice wildlife to see such as iguanas, coatis, wild cats and more. We only visited the buffet restaurant during our stay so cannot comment on the a la carte restaurants, however the buffet was always nice. It would have been nice if you could eat at the Viva Wyndham Azteca hotel located down the road although we were told this was not possible. We went on the Turtles and Cenotes trip whilst we were there run by Ocean Tours, cannot rate this highly enough and it was the highlight of our trip. Also hats off to the Animation Team who did their utmost to entertain guests every night, not normally my sort of thing but it was enjoyable. Another plus point is the free wi-fi in the lobby area of the hotel (again not made clear). Overall, apart from the poor quality of the room, layout and lack of any mini bar or room service I would stay here again albeit for the price and location.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upgraded room, especially if you have already been promised one by your tour op...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
VivaWyndhamMaya, Director General at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your wife at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our swimming pool, beach front location and the approximidaty to Playa del Carmen. For your information we would like to mention that one of Viva Wyndham Resorts main concerns is the practice of Sustainable Tourism. Our policy of providing one bottle of water per room on the day of arrival is part of many actions that lead to the reduction of waste, energy and water. We kindly invite all of our customers to refill their water bottles at the bars or restaurants, this with the aim to reduce plastic waste material which remains one of the most polluting and contaminating causes which irreversibly damages our seas and oceans.

At the Viva Wyndham Resorts our main concern and commitment is to satisfy our customers of today but also in the future and we are confident that you understand the importance of these actions.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed here for 12 days and leaving today - boo hoo! Enjoyed my stay in this beautiful paradise so much I cried last night thinking I had to leave today. Yes it's not 5 star but if I had wanted 5 star stuffiness I would have booked a 5 star resort. This resort caters fantastically for families with great kids club (never saw my 8 year old daughter she loved it so much). The rooms are plentiful in size and spotless and bathroom big with double shower. The shows and animation team were amazing and work so hard. Also there were easy on the eye lol. Food great and yes they may have had some things same everyday but that is because they had everything you could imagine everyday. Staff ok as long as you were nice polite and friendly to them. Beautiful beach and part of the coast. Much nicer than cancun itself in my opinion. Anyone who complains would complain about wherever they stayed. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to come to mexivo. Thank you Viva maya for a holiday we will always remember!

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank jackson1970uk
VivaWyndhamMaya, Director General at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear guest,

It is such a compliment when a guest has enjoyed their stay so much that they felt compelled to write a review.

We very much appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, and we will be certain to pass along your kind praise to our staff. Your comments about the excellent service provided by our Kids Club and Animation Team make us very proud. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at the Viva Wyndham Maya and we are happy to hear that your vacation was so memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a 2-3 star resort at best, we knew that going in, but it still failed to meet even those expectations. My husband and I typically do the 5 star, adult only, all inclusives. This trip we were meeting family that included two teenagers, therefore we felt this resort was appropriate due to it being budget and family friendly. We stayed from July 2-7. I want to state that I am not comparing this resort to ones we typically stay at, but something at the 3 star level.

Room: Check-in was a mess, a long line, we waiting at least 30 minutes at least, and it was very hot. Not a great first impression. We had booked an oceanview superior room with a king bed. I confirmed this with them the week of as I didn't want anything less than what we paid for. When we got he room at 3:00 we were very disapointed. There was no ocean view at all, maybe a tiny sliver if you really craned your neck. All we could say was the theatre and pool bar roof. We also had two double beds, not the king, and no fridge or coffeemaker as advertised. We even brought our family over and they said "you were screwed". We went back and complained and after an hour they said to come back at 1:00 tomorrow and they would find us a new room. We did come back the next day and they were able to find us a new room with a much better view and a king bed. The only issue was the A/C did not work.. we didnt notice this until later in the evening and called that next morning. It took them 2 days to fix this! The poor guys worked hard but everytime they tried to fix it something else went wrong. It was uncomfortable and so humid in the room. We just didn't feel comfortable at all.

Food: The first day we immediately tried to make dinner reservations. We were 2 families, 6 people total, so on Wednesday we asked to make reservations for 6. Their next available was Saturday! The other family was leaving Sunday so that was our only option to eat together. Really, you guys are that booked up?! So we went ahead and tried to book something for just us 2 that night. He said he only had 1 reservation available at both resorts at 6:00 pm. We decided to take it since we had little choice. When we got there, we were the only ones there. 2 more couples showed up a few minutes later. The restaurant was not even 1/3 full. It was like this every restaurant we went to. Barely half full. Don't understand their reservation system. Viva Cafe- not a fan, ok food. Portofino- several dished great, others ok. Mayan- good overall. Buffet- breakfast was good, lunch ok. Dinner ok. Pool bar- better than buffet but still just ok.

Pool- Fun but small and crowded.

Beach- The best part of the resort! Absolutely beautiful! Were always able to find chairs.

Location- Resort located about a mile from 5th avenue, we went there twice to get away, alot of fun.

Service- good overall. Most people were very hard working and friendly, especially staff in the buffets and bartenders. The front desk staff could use some customer service training.

We felt this resort was below average. If it wasn't for the beautiful beach we would have been very disatisfied. We will not return, not for us. The other family with us felt the same way.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KalpaReddy

Dear customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. We sincerely appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

We truly regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations and we would like to inform you that we took note of your comments.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of regaining your trust the next time you visit the Riviera Maya.