“The Real Truth About Viva Maya”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #89 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Schomberg ontario
“The Real Truth About Viva Maya”
Reviewed 13 August 2009

I read countless reviews about this resort before my family left on our trip and must say I was a little nervous because of all of the not so great reviews mostly because of the food and the theft that apparently goes on at the resort. So, I promised myself that I would post a review when we returned to ease the mind of all of the other families getting ready to travel to this resort...you are going to have a great time! The truth is that the rooms are clean, well kept. We did have a tiny little ant problem but really not a big deal. I would go back anyway. Our air conditioner WAS very loud as many have mentioned but it was actually a blessing because we had a room close the main stage where all the shows were and this meant a lot of noise until at least 10:30 every night. So, if you have young children, mine are 7 (twins) and one of them liked to go to bed early so the air conditioner muffled the noise and sleep was not a problem. I must say that the biggest issue I had with noise was the paper thin walls and the noise that came from other rooms. It made me nervous thinking others could hear us talk and our TV.
Food...breakfast was great-many healthy and not so healthy choices for all. Lunch...fast food type food. Not much variety. My son ate fries with cheese every day. Not good but he had fun. Needless to say we are all on a diet right now. We stayed at the pool all day so we never ate in the buffet room at lunch. I assume the variety is better. The only problem is that it is a pain to walk over when you are all wet. The pizza was okay. Guacamole and salsa very fresh. That is what i ate everyday. Dinner in the main room was HOT so we were a little annoyed and lost our appetite. Literally we dripped with sweat. The two restaurants were outstanding and I reccommend you take advantage of the a la carte choices you have. Don't believe the others who said they did not get reservations...they are included in your stay so PUSH for them. You must go for the change of pace. Buffet eating can get boring. Also..you must take a 10 minute walk over to the Aztyeca the sister hotel to eat at lunch of dinner-seems fresher and cooler. We hate in the courtyard type area just outside of the buffet room and we loved it. We did that twice. Nice to walk too. We stopped at the vendors just outside of the resort as well. Good prices. Starbucks was a nice reminder of home.
Take a 5 minute 5 dollar taxi ride to 5th avenue one night. Very nice stores-pricey though. The port is a nice site to see. We went to Carlos and Charlies for our last night dinner. It was awful and not worth the money. Had icecream and walked around.
The shows were great. Funny and entertaining. I can't believe how hard and long the entertainment staff worked. They really try so hard to get people involved all day..bingo, water aerobics, polo, yoga, dancing lessons etc. I did nothing...just wanted to hang out at the pool all day. The kids did too!
Last word of advice....when you get to the cancun airport and if you have already prebooked your taxi with any company ( don't prebook just pick up a taxi and pay the same amount of money to go straight to the hotel instead of stopping at others. The ride is long and bumpy) go straight passed the many people working to get your money. Someone will no doubt ask you for your taxi info and you just say its okay and keep heading for the taxis outside. There is no need to stop even if they look like they are official. We we sucked into buying a package we never used....just keep walking. At the resort you will be approached by many nice people who pretend to want to make your stay great-they want you to attend a time share type session. They will tell you that you will get free this and that and you will not get it. It will be a waste of time and time on our holiday was precious. It is 2 hours we will never get back. Unless of course you have 10 to 12 thousand dollars to spare. Just say no thank you and enjoy the time you have at the resort.
The beach is great, the pool is great for kids because it is 4 feet everywhere you stand. So no deep end to worry about for younger kids. My boys got a kick out of the swim up bar. They ordered fruit smoothies all day and night too!
If you are comfortable letting your kids be away from you all day then they can be part of the kids club all day. \The staff there is great and they will keep your kids busy for you. My boys chose to hang out at the pool.
The whole waking up at 6 for a spot is kind of true....I woke up at 8 and still got a spot under the umbrellas at the pool. Some spots on the beach too. We tried to get at least two on the beach under an umbrella and two at the pool. We cheated but very necessary considering the heat can really get to you.
A great place for the family, for the price and all round good choice. I will go back.
Oh and nothing was stolen from our room as far as we know! We left our cleaning staff at least 10 US twice during our stay. The room was kept very clean and tidy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank paradise35
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, 20 August 2009
Dear Customer,

I want to thank you for the kind words you published on Trip Advisor about your vacations at Viva Wyndham Maya. Your comments are important to us, but we are especially pleased when the feedback is positive.

We try hard to provide the best possible service to our customers and their satisfaction is our reward.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we are providing a good service. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Austin
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Playa and found the Wyndham Maya to be wonderful and as inclusive as advertised. The accommodations, the staff, the food, the location and the activities were great. I would highly recommend this hotel. We felt very safe. Always had available bottle water in the daily refilled mini bar. Food was plentiful and good variety. As an American we were in the minority and as a world traveler I think they do a great job of catering to all nationalities. All the staff were so accommodating. Top Shelf!
We rented a car for the week but could have done without if we could have found cheaper airport transfers in advance. Since we had the car we took a drive to Tulum -easy and less expensive than a tour, stopped a snorkeled in the Gran Cenote. Good for first timers.

1 Thank pegc4
(The first answer is wrong, this is the correct)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for publishing your comments in this important forum. Nothing can be more gratifying than the satisfaction of our clients and your great review is a proof that we achieved our most important goal during your vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Again thank you for recommending our Resort and for the recognition of our daily job. We hope you afford us the opportunity to serve you again very soon.

wichita
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We stayed at the Maya 8 days in early Aug. Our family of 4 (15 and 12 year old kids ) + Grandma and Grandpa loved the place from the start. The staff was outstanding and made every effort to make our stay super enjoyable.
There was plenty of bar staff to pour top shelf drinks all day ( hardly any lines, thanks to Rangel, Francisco, Benito and others). XX was the beer on tap, cold and plentiful.
The wine was very drinkable, unlike some other all-inclusive experiences.
The ala carte meals were outstanding. The food presentation was way beyond our expectations. We made arrangements for 6 the first day ,for the whole week, and were accommodated easily at all the establishments ( four nights ).
The buffet and the snack bar had a very good variety food and excellent quality considering they are buffets. Again the staff was awesome even at the buffet.
The rooms were nothing special. We asked for a first floor room near the grandparents and received a room near the adult pool. It was clean and had plenty of water in the mini fridge.
The room is not real important to us, since we spend hardly any time in it.
The beach was perfect along with the pool. You could always find a place to lay out in the sun, the shade was a little precious during the afternoon.
The trapeze was a great experience for all of us. Dan and Jazz were in charge and were awesome teachers. They made us feel like long time friends at a party, Thanks.Too bad they were short a staff person so we could do catches.
I cannot believe some of the reviews I read about this resort.
This is a great place with a great staff. Mark

2 Thank mark6655
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, 17 August 2009
Dear Customer,

It is a real pleasure to read your review on Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you for investing your time writing the fabulous comments about our staff and services.

Positive feedbacks as yours are the biggest motivation for the Viva Wyndham Maya team to continue hard working to exceed all of our clients’ expectations.

Again thank your for recommending our Resort and we look forward to your next visit to provide you and your family the excellent service that your deserve.

Huntingtown, Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I checked out the Viva Maya and saw mostly good reviews. I booked prior to Flu outbreak and began monitoring reviews for many months. If you have not booked this hotel, then pay attention to the the next several reviews. I travelled with husband and kids (17, 15, 13) for 6 days/5 nights and knew going in I might have a few issues but thought I could overlook. We arrived at 11:00 am and didn't get checked in til 2:00 so throw a bathing suit in your carry on! I wasn't greeted with cocktails (as stated) but given a wrist band to get something to eat. I requested adjoining rooms but was given two rooms across from one another. Good thing! The toilet in the girls' room was broken but "fixed" the first day. It did, however, break again on day 4. I made the report two days in a row. It got fixed when my husband and I stayed at the front desk demanding they follow up with maintanence. We were met at the room and watched them actually make the repair. Something we could have lived with but not convenient, that's one of the pros to having 2 roms for family of 5. Plus, it was not fun going across the hall any time we needed to "go"...

My major complaint is also with the food. They are running some type of scam with their restaurants. I tried making reservations on arrival (per reviews) and told it was booked until our 5th day there, but "to check back for cancellations". One night for kicks, we asked the "captain" of the mexican restaurant, Don Diego, if there were cancellations since we could see the restaurant was half empty! We were told no. I asked at Customer Service what the deal was and heard some story about 1/2 hour seatings. While we ate on our 5th night at El Portofino (which was good) we witnessed 9 filled tables out of 30 available! Every 30 minutes they seated two more tables. What kind of nonsense is this? I paid for two ocean view rooms, ate the same old buffet crap 24/7 and were only allowed 1 sit down meal? I should have forced the issue more, but didn't know at the time just how sick I'd get of the buffet!

I stayed in room 1306 (the toilet is fixed now, thanks to us!) and had a great working AC, comfy beds, but watch for cups with water, etc, that might draw ants. We had a million marching everywhere! Husband and son stayed in 1309, which was fine, and had almost checked in to 1305 (king bed, MUSTY!).

Location is great to the beach. Couldn't hear a sound outside of our room and didn't really need to have Ocean front since i didn't spend time on the balcony due to heat.

Agree that activities are great if you take advantage of them. Beautiful waters, snorkeling (1 hr free) is okay around the whales (sandbags). Shows provide amusement, some nights better than others.

We were told too late to complain to the Viva VIP staff and they would tell the owners/managers. If you go and see these issues continue (esp. the restaurant) then do so and see what you can get.

Go expecting a great beach, hot sun, and friendly, but tired, staff and you won't be disappointed. Expect even good food and surely you' won't see it. Good news is...maybe you'll lose a few pounds!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments regarding your vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya. Our clients’ opinion is very important to us.

We are really sorry for not having fulfilled your expectations; I can assure you that your observations about the food and A la Carte restaurants will be seriously considered with the purpose to improve these services.

Again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Montreal, Québec, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2009

HOTEL OVERVIEW: our ROOM We were sceduled in the new buiilding no. 3 but did not wish to stay on a 3rd floor and seemed far from the beach so the staff was very curtious and changed our reservation to another location, mid way between block no. 3 and the beach, the room number 2272 near lobby and a short distance to beach, quiet and very well kept we had to explain some days why we did not want our room cleaned since we stayed there for 14 days and did not wish to have the room done everyday seams too much and did not wish to change towels everyday since we are concious of our planet. The air conditionner and tv worked fine, we had a small technical problem with the latch on the backroom door wich was fixed right away, speedy and fast!
BEACH: WONDERFUL WHITE SAND and super warm ocean a bit of sea weed it's not a pool, it's natural was great, with the sand barriers the ocean is very calm and relaxing even if they had the red fly almost all the time up.
FOOD; Found the buffet very Ok, we always eat good meals varied and tasty and the specialty restaurants at the Maya and Azteka are also very good and what a 5 star service.
STAFF; Very friendly and helpful.
TOURS; Too expensive at the hotel or with Sunwing, go to the plaza right in front of the hotel ask for Angel but they all seem quite good. We did the Extreme Coba adventure and loved it, Tulum & Xel-ha fantastic nice ruine site as well as good scnorkling, Chichenitza the 7th world wounder deserves a detour! Do not forget to walk 10 minutes from the hotel to see the local Playacar ruines nice walk and by then you can reach the beach and are in Playa del Carmen! Also the bird sanctuary is worth a small visit if you have the time.
We were in the vacinity 20 years ago but Tulum is much nicer now and we were very pleased with our trip.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SUEBIDOUX
Dear customer,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor. It gives us great pleasure to read your comments due to our staff put a lot of effort into their job every day and our clients’ satisfaction is our reward.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Maya will be pleased to receive you again to provide you an excellent vacation.

austin tx
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I just returned from a vacation with my two daughters in their twenties. I read lots of reviews and looked at many photos before going. First off, the food was awful. We lived on fries and chicken from the pool snack bar. We are not picky eaters but the food at the buffet was totally tasteless. We figured that they have to cater to so many nationalities that they don't season the food. Presentation is good but no taste. We met quite a few people and that was the major complaint amongst all of them. Also, the buffet restaurant is so hot you lose your appetite. We ate at Miramar one night and it was so-so. Service was good.
The rooms. We stayed in a room close to the beach and pool and were very satisfied with the location. Our friends stayed in the new building(3) and although their room was much nicer it was very far to walk especially in the heat. Our tv didn't work very well(which we watched at night and when we needed to get out of the sun for a while)and the bed was extremely hard and the pillows were very flat. I asked for softer pillows the third morning and they were delivered in a timely fashion. Much better but still not as nice as the newer building. Also, be aware that if you're travelling during the summer months, the humidity is awful. I come from Texas, and I'm used to some but not like Mexico. I couldn't sleep very well because the airconditioner in the room keeps coming on after a few minutes. It is loud like others have mentioned in previous reviews. At first it wasn't so bad, but after a couple of days it wears on you. Room was kept clean and the housekeeping staff was terrific. I was happy though that we were very close to everything.
The beach. I have to say that the beach was awesome and the water was wonderful. I did get up very early to save a palapa and have coffee in the morning. The cappucinos at the beach bar were the best along with the pastries they put out first thing. If you don't save a place in the shade, you will have a hard time in the sun. Many people got sunburned their first day and were miserable. My advice is to use waterbabies sunblock as we do(we are hispanic and still tan through it) so as not to ruin your vacation. Our friends used ours since it worked better than the sport sunblock. I was kind of disappointed with the staff, that they didn't come to the beach to announce activities at the pool but they work very hard and are all very nice. The pool was very, very warm so only used it a couple of times. Also, if you like the pool better than the beach the chairs get taken up quickly so get down early. Be aware that some of the people who stay here don't think that they should wait in line. Very rude and treat staff badly. Bartenders good but sometimes understaffed. The shows were fun for me and my daughter, kind of cheesy as others have said, but I appreciate the kids who put them on. They work so hard during the day and then at night they have to perform in the shows. I think they do a great job. Met a few of them and they are so kind and upbeat and always have a smile on their faces.
Playa. A word to the wise. Buy your souvenirs and liquor the first day into playa. I kept putting it off and spent way too much on taxis. Just get it out of the way and leave it in the room. Also, if you smoke, buy your cigs at the duty free in your airport(don't have many brands in Mexico) and you will not have to buy there. Very cheap at duty free. Lots of vendors in the market yelling at you. Just ignore. Playamart by McDonalds had good prices on trinkets and prescription meds.
Excursions. Selvetica ziplining was fun. The snorkeling was pretty good but not great. Our best meal was at a restaurant in Puerto Morelos where we caught a boat to snorkel. Awesome food and service. I bought the excursion in Playa thinking I'd save some money, but I paid 90.00 dollars instead of 95.00. Didn't save since I paid the taxi ten bucks. Don't waste your time. Buy online. Also, I used USA transfers from airport(private) and it was only 105.00 dollars round trip for three. Excellent service. Ask for Javier. He's the best. Get a private car for a few hours and he will take you to the best places. I wish I would have done this as I hired a taxi for akumal and yal ku for snorkelling and it was bad. Heard so much and was very disappointed. Apparently Javier knows places where the water is so clear. I saw his pictures. Give him a try. All in all, ok vacation but I've had better. Would not stay here again. By the way, I'm a wyndham resorts owner. Another warning. My friend fell on a whale, (sandbag) in front of another hotel, and she was on the beach for an hour. Neither hotel wanted to take responsibility for the mishap.It was an accident, but she broke her leg and was in a lot of pain and neither would call an ambulance. Luckily, there were doctors on beach as guests who helped, but please be aware. This is Mexico. They really don't want to help you. I was very dismayed with the Maya, being a Wyndham hotel that they didn't offer much help. I am going to write a letter to Corporate on their behavior.

• Stayed July 2009
Dear Customer,

Thank you for the time you have invested in writing your feedback about your last visit to the Mayan Riviera.

We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

Please accept a sincere apology for not have being able to fulfill your expectations. I can assure you that your comments and observations will be seriously considered and we will share them with the involved departments.

We remain at your disposal.

Rodgau
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Just returned from the Maya....

First of all I was there with my wife and my two girls age 16 and 13 and
if sombody is thinking about going to the Viva Maya or not I can say go there!

You will be satisfied for sure!

But here some details:

We stayed there 2 weeks, already second (2007) time at the Maya and 2 times before at the Azteca (2000+2001).

When I think that the Maya was closed 6 weeks before and it wasn`t fully booked due to the swine flue we had a great time there. But I had some minor complains as well.

They don´t offer the breakfast at poolside anymore. This was for me a great advantage 2 years ago, due to my girls and I are divers.

When you get up early it was great to have a coffee and a small breakfast at the pool close to the diving center. This time we ha to go a long way to the restaurant to have breakfast. Not that fine than before.

And I think many guests prefered that "small" breakfast at the pool instead of going to the restaurant.

The Animation Crew tried to do their best also when showing the shows in the evening. But compared to the crew 2 years ago they were not that good even when Marcos and Marco are still there or again.

This might be also because they were not at full strength at beginnig of vacation, but anyhow what we saw there 2 years ago cannot be topped. Sorry Emin!!

Beside that the rooms were clean, staff was very friendly and helpful nothing to worrry about.

Great drinks all day, very good food which changes every day. Perfect!!!

Disco closes for "kids" up to 18 usually at midnight. Then the green bands got "throwed out". This was the only complaint by my girls. For me it was ok, so they come home latest at 1.00 AM.

And again, we had a geat vacation!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank rodgauman
Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer to Viva Wyndham Maya. Nothing can be more gratifying than read that you and your family enjoyed a pleasant stay at our property and we want to thank you for recommending us in this important forum.

Also we appreciate your observations about our services, they will be seriously considered.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!