The hotel, the community, the beach, the food, and the staff are all amazing.
Food: We never got sick of the food, which is shocking for a 2 week stay. The main buffet has a a very nice bistro style outdoor dining area that overlooks a courtyard. Getting a seat is never a problem. The al a cartes are very nice and make for a nice change of scenery. The Italian a la carte is the best. There is fantastic coffee at the snack bar and lobby bar. The snack bar is great, containing, pizza, burgers, drinks, fruits and everything you need if you don't want a full meal.
Maya: You can use all of the facilities at the Viva Maya. It is about a 10 minute walk. You will probably not use the Maya much because the Azteca is so much better in that it is way less crowded. This means the Azteca stays cleaner, less busy, less hostile, and more relaxed. You don't have to line up for a drink at the Azteca, unlike the Maya.
Staff: Friendly, polite and never make you feel like you're putting them out. Great staff to patron ratio. Everything is very clean all the time.
Playa: You will be in a gated hotel in a gated community. It is probably safer than any hotel where you live. The location is great with water sports and a dive shop onsite. The hotel is in the middle of the hotel/resort strip.
Guests: The hotel is small. This is a great thing because the less people, the less annoyances and less problems. Nowhere is busy. You will have no trouble getting a beach chair. You may have some trouble getting a chair under a palapas (umbrella). Most of the guests will speak German or Italian. The average age is about 45. So it's a relaxed atmosphere, not the place if you are looking for a party/spring break style resort.
Beach: One of the nicest beaches in the world. White sand, turquoise water. It's large, clean, and the water is not super wavy because the island of Cozumel acts as a breaker.
Room: Standard. Beds are a bit hard. There is a little fridge, but it is not refreshed with drinks. There will only be some drinks on your arrival, but that is all. Nothing fancy or negative about the rooms. See my room tip.
Amenities: Gym with steam room. Hot spots for Wi-Fi, and an internet cafe on site. There is an overpriced store on site in case you need any thing in an emergency. There is daily stretching, beach volleyball, and other activities. The activities crew does a great job being inclusive but not harassing you. The quality of sports (ie, nice beach volleyball net and beach) is very good. There are very good nightly theatre performances. There is music and dancing in lobby bar. You can get very comfortable free bicycles to bike ride around Playacar, or Playa del Carmen. They come with a lock. I highly recommend you use them to explore. There is a laundry service as well. Simply bag it up and it will be returned to your room, clean and folded for a fee.
Overall: Many places advertise that they have all sorts of amenities like table tennis, tennis, snack foods, gym, etc, and you find out that they are just garbage, unusable, but there for the advertising to say they have it. That is not the case here. Everything as as good as you could imagine. Having stayed at many all-inclusives this was far and away the absolute best in all categories. You will not be disappointed. If you go for a great beach, great food, a great pool, relaxation, or whatever, this place will exceed your expectations.
Price: Do not let the fact that this place is very reasonable priced deter you. It feels like a boutique hotel (mainly because it is not crowded), not a giant resort. I suppose because of this I would not recommend you bring kids. You will not feel pressured to tip either. Its worth every dollar and more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be close to everything. White sand beaches. Mayan ruins. Lush jungles. A championship golf course. And exciting nightlife. The Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive Resort, a stunning resort on the breathtaking Mayan Riviera on the east coast of the Yucatan, has it all. And it's just 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport in Mexico. Explore captivating Mayan ruins. Find your own private seaside cove, or experience the fun in the sun and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen, just two miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Viva Wyndham Azteca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Viva Azteca
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen