“After swapping from the reef club”

Viva Wyndham Azteca
Ranked #71 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
York England
“After swapping from the reef club”
Reviewed 16 October 2008

After reading several reviews of the Reef Club Playacar regarding a diarrhoea bug and staff indifference we decided to change the hotel while still in the U.K. I still had a few qualms about Mexico having not gone there before but the Wyndham Azteca is O.K. The food, the staff and the location were all brilliant. Oddly the Reef club (in Thomas Cook brochure) says it is 1km from the resort centre and the Azteca says it is 3km but they are next door but one from each other. You can easily walk to the centre of Playa in 20 minutes but we got lazy and took taxis. (50 pesos)

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LocoYorkEngland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
london
Reviewed 9 October 2008

Don't stay at this hotel.

We booked for 3 nights, but found this hotel to be uninhabitable due to damp and mould in the rooms. We viewed six rooms but all of them had such a strong smell of damp that both my partner and I found it difficult to breathe.

As we had arrived at the hotel late in the evening, we had no choice but to stay in one of the damp rooms overnight. We both felt so ill the following morning that we checked out immediately and moved to the Reef hotel two minutes walk away. There was no damp in the first room we were shown and so we ended up booking for more than a week.

The Viva Wyndham Azteca hotel has refused to refund the 2 nights we did not stay at this hotel, but had paid for in advance.

We are now considering taking legal action against this hotel and we will certainly never stay at any Wyndham hotels in the future.

• Disliked — Rooms smelling of mould due to damp
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sharoninthesun
Chicago
Reviewed 3 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Viva Azteca from Sep. 26th thru Sep. 30th. We wanted to go somewhere nice to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We've been to Cancun before and had so much fun, but wanted to try Playa Del Carmen this time as we had heard that it was beautiful. Playa Del Carment was beautiful but our stay at this hotel was terrible. As others who traveled during this same time, our AC did not work for 3 of the days that we were there and this was so frustrating as how can anyone sleep in a hot room. I informed the front desk several times until they finally sent someone to look at it and the guy said he had fixed it and that we should give it an hour so that the room can get cool. Nothing happened! The room was still hot. The next day I complained again and they then agreed to show me another room but told me that the problem with the AC was with the whole hotel and that all the rooms would be hot. How can this be possible? I went and saw another room and it was even worse than the first one so we decided to just stay where we were at and suffer. I mean we weren't in the room that much because we kept ourselves busy doing tours or hanging out at the beach, but you at least want to be able to sleep comfortably and that was not the case. Go figure, they finally got the AC to work the last day we were there! Aside from the AC not working, our room was filled with little ants which at first I was like okay, this is not that bad but it did get annoying after a while. And the room smelled terrible, sort of like a moldy smell, and I don't know if that was just because it was just so humid and the AC wasn't working. The food is okay, nothing spectacular, what you would expect from a buffet. We didn't have trouble booking reservations for the sit down restaurants but those were also just okay, nothing to brag about. The service was very slow though, so be prepared to be there for a while. I do have to say that the animation staff was great! Those people work so hard and are always doing their best to make sure to enjoy yourself. They were the only positive thing about the hotel. Overall, just an okay place to stay at if you are on a tight budget. Next time I would pay the extra money and stay at a nicer place. Definetely would not stay here again.

• Liked — animation staff
  • Disliked — rooms/cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank lcruz
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Ok so i love Mexico. Been there over 100 times between the cruises and over many years. Thinking about sneaking across the border to live there one day until they kick me out. Reverse immigration..But i tell you what i do not love and that is the Wyndham azteca or the sister hotel the maya.
This was sold to me as a 4 star hotel package. Honestly i was expecting maybe 3 1/2 stars. What i got was maybe 2 stars. Really i dont know where to start. Only had 4 nights to fly from NYC to Mx and was with my husband and 12 year old son. They had no expectations at all since they had only been on cruises to mexico and not over night in Mexico ever so i thought this would be a nice change for them. I booked this hotel because i reasoned after reading everything here on Trip Advisor that we were "Only going to sleep in the room,not live there". Boy was i wrong because it rained 4 days straight. Oct-Dec is heavy rainy season in that region. We were here the last week in Sept 2008.

CHECK IN: I used Wyndhams USA tours for the ride in. They made us wait for an hour for other passengers and a mini van that never did arrive. So much for paying extra for the early flight!
An hour later they agreed to get some guy they knew to take us to the hotel. Allright, no harm there. We get to the hotel, lobby seemed nice. Did notice people smoking everywhere right away..Not much of a welcome, just kinda asked for my paper with the RSVP numbers. Print that out and bring it with you or else. Room wasnt quite ready so we went to the buffet for some lunch. Wasnt very good, but i thought it must get better.

THE ROOM: Hmm.. Im not quite sure how to say this but i guess the word is "uncomfortable". No AC, no dresser, dark, dingy, moldy but all cheerfully colored in late 1980's colors. AC was out for 2 of the 4 days (central to the buildings) . Noise can be heard from the chanting by the poolside by cheerful early morning europeans engagaing in what appeared to be water areobics.
Beds were so hard that even my son complained. Gotta get to my chiro asap now...Yeow! Bathroom ammenities none. Nothing. Zilch, zippo. Towels seemed to be a problem since each day they left only 3. For 3 people. Tried to hide one but they took it away. Pool towels you get down by the pool with a card system. At this point after 2 hours i wanted to check out. But we were beat tired so after a short nap we strolled over to the sister resort down the road to see if that was a little better perhaps. Housekeeping comes in around 4ish and they seemed to be efficient and kind. Leave them a few bucks everyday, they work so hard. I feel badly for them.

THE SHOWS: Yikes! Its off season and everyone of the staff is on vacation. Imagine the lion king performed with 2 people in it? Or a lip synching show were the performers did not know at least the basic lyrics and had to keep turning their heads away from the audience?
Do you really want to come all the way here to see corny shows or do you want to go expereince the real Mexico anyway? So we got in a cab most nights and strolled around beautiful downtown Playa Del Carmen. Wow. Better to stay there but the food and drinks are too pricey...however they are GOOD!! If not great. We even ate near the bus terminal late at night for 1$ the best tacos of your life by the local street vendors. Its European prices everywhere else here, expect to pay big for everything.

THE DRINKS: Terrible. They had 95% of the liquer brands that sell for 2$ a bottle and i think they were watering those down too. One bottle of Sky Vodka, and one of bacardi rum that i asked for a shot of and smelled it...i swear to you it was rubbing alcohol or something. The lobby bar did have a bottle of Jose Cuervo on hand at times but the drink mixes were funny tasting. Stay with coke or juice mixed drinks, or martinis. Some of the juices were ok but they were all out of a box. The service was fine though. My kid went up to the pool bar several times to get a pina colada from the bartender and they served it to him with liquer in it. He didnt tell me this till later on. No wonder he slept good after that.
We had most of our drinks in town at 9-10$ a pop but what a difference in taste and quality!

THE POOL & HOT TUB: My kid loved the pool . I choose this resort as not to have a huge place where i would not find my child. The hot tub was cold all the time at around 80 degress or so. Closes at 8 pm and its only about maybe 5 feet deep at its deepest point. As far as pools go it was nice. Walk up to the bar and snackbar nearby. The maya did have a swim up bar with stools in the water.

THE BEACH: The way they have the sandwhales laid out you cannot really walk or swim around them without a certain degree of dificulty. They are slippery and you can get hurt. Signs tell you not to go on them. Listen to the signs. It makes a sort of safe pool there that goes about 7 feet deep but fish cannot get in there as they have a net further out to prevent larger fish from getting in and you from getting out. All the beaches there but for downtown have these hideous whales there. Looked like huge turds in the sand, but its either that or the erosion. Its still very pretty but dont plan on walking too far.
Ample beach chairs, palapas, sports, jet skis nearby leaving a nice odor of diesel fuel for you to breath in. A few topless europeans here and there. Probably the nicest part of this resort, mind you the beaches downtown are nice too.

THE FOOD: I wanted to like this resort. Im not picky! Really! Let me tell you about the food here. We mostly ate at the buffet because of our son, he wanted to eat and run so we did. We had reservations at the chinese and the Italian but we live in New york city. How much Italian and chinese food can one person eat in a lifetime? Yes we wanted real Mexican food!! You will not find it here at all. Whole sections of the buffet and trays dedicated to sliced cucumbers or tomatoes . Meat so tough that you cannot chew it. Unknown fish that no one knew the name of everynight. Edible only was the pork chops & chips salsa & guacamole. There was much space dedicated to peeled fruits & raw veggies which anyone who goes to MX knows you must not eat pre-peeled fruit dare you risk food poisoning! Desserts were good, one night they actually had real flan!
The snack bar was worse yet,. No chips & salsa there. Burgers made from some kind of meat cooked rare only, burnt cheeseless pizza, hotdogs & some kind of a bolgna sandwich they were calling a "club sandwich" all putrid. Room service is quick but again, nothing is edible. I actually lost 5 lbs in 4 days. No coffee around either but for some very strong and bitter expressos & cappucinos.
One night they had sushi. Oh yeah ..thats what ive traveled 6 hours for!!! The sushi!! They do have a pasta station and i suggest highly you stick to that. If you get really desperate you can stroll over to the Maya and they at least have a real wood burning oven there and make real pizza almost 24 hours a day, hey now thats a compliment by NY standards! As for the rest of the food at the maya, the one place we did want to eat..the Don Deigo was closed for whatever reason for the week.
The food at the Mexican place at the Azteca, people were walking out after the 1st course to eat at the buffet..so that confirmed what everyone here said already.
Here is the really sad part about this trip. We boarded the flight home with the same people we met on the way into Mexico. VERY PICKY people from NJ. They started to complain before we even took off! However on the way home they had GLOWING reviews for a place called the paridisus resort cancun maya. Each of them had an amazing story to tell about the food, service, room and beach. Mind you im sure its 2X or 3X the price as this place. But you get what you pay for. Not that it was cheap here by any means.
My kid lived on the gelato with sprinkles all week.
Never made it to breakfast though my husband said they had a good egg/ omlette bar and after the 1st lunch there i did not have the stomach for anymore of it. Only the buffet is open for lunch by the way. No other choice.

THE GROUNDS: Very pretty! Nothing out of the ordinary though to report to you. One thing i must warn to all though.*********the tiles EVERYWHERE including all around the pool are very very very slippery when they get wet. People were falling all over the place including all of us. Ive got the black and blues to prove it. Lucky i did not break anything. Even the pavement is slippery when it is wet. Its just insane that anyone could even walk like this**********. I did note the lack of animals and wildlife on the property. Its like the set traps for them or something to keep them out on purpose. Just some crows and we did see several large rats. No they were not the local rabbit/mole creatures you see around. These were rats. At both resorts we took note of them.
Across the street one night while walking we did see a monkey and one day on the road some iguanas. As i said it did rain alot so we didnt get to do that much. We counted on the hotel and we were let down. The Maya is more of the same only bigger. If i had to choose between the 2 hotels i would choose the Maya because there is more to do there such as archery and a trampoline. Beach looked the same to me. Its only a few resorts down the road. Can walk the beach there as well .

STAFF: All wonderful, cant say enough nice things about all of you guys there! If i came back it would be because of you and you only.

THIS & THAT: I think this hotel chain was recently bought out by another but im not sure of this. Dont be fooled into the morning phone call to come get your welcome gift at VIP services! Im always wise to this one. Just say ok thanks, and never go unless you want to waste your time on the time share losers.
I wouldnt go back to this resort if it were free. No thank you.
My guess is that the Europeans like this a whole lot more then us americans for some reason. They fly 10 hours to get there if you can imagine that. And they have 2 or more months a year off from work and the money to do so.( Can you detect a hint of jealousy there?? ?) However, you and I do not. Not with the way our economy is going. You know this, and that my friend is why I am writing this. Not to badmouth a resort..the people were very nice, no problems with anyone there. Its the food and the room. You can do better somewhere else. Smaller is not better in this case. I wanted to like it, but it was just terrible.
Like i said at the start, ive been to Mexico many many times. Playa Del Carmen since there wasnt anything but a beach a bar and 1000 hammocks. This isnt 4 star. Its 2 1/2 star. Take a peak next door at the hideaway or the Iberostar. Those are 4 and 5 star resorts done right. If it had been sold to me as a 2 or even 3 star there would be no problem in my understanding , but 4 stars? Please take that down or you will have many many unhappy people. .

Overall i rate this hotel a good place to stay if you can sleep on a rock and like to eat slop. Dont say i didnt try warn you! There really are so many wonderful place to stay around this area, you need to do your homework and think carefully about your choice because you will have to live with that for your vacation. Most people there were between 25-55. Didnt see another american there, but thats not the problem. The problem was the food and the room. Both not anywhere near what they should be for 4 stars. I really wish i had something positive to say about the Viva Azteca and Maya. Even developed a bad cough and congestion due to mold in the room and all the moisture from the rain with the ac not working most of the time.
Let me try to leave on a postive note anyway...let me think. The TV worked very good, was able to watch the fox news chanel and CNN world news. Thats about it. If you want a solid 3.5 star hotel try Sandos playacar down the road for a much better value.

• Liked — The friendly personel.
  • Disliked — Horrible food & Rock hard beds, not kidding you!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank campo84748
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Went to the Azteca for a quick, extended, birthday, weekend vacation. The quick and dirty is that it is not worth the $240 per night advertised price. We paid $100 per night per couple and we got what we paid for.
We had several issues from the get go, key not working, safe not working, strong odor (chemical) in room, credit card machine not functioning properly and room had 2 queen beds and we requested 1 king. The staff was very nice and tried to fix the problems but was unable to fix all of the issues.
The beach was great and the ocean infront was protected by large black bags filled with sand. No drink/food service on the beach???
I found the food to be fair. The Bamboo restaurant was marginal, stay away from the seafood. The pool bar had some "food".
The staff was very nice but their failed attempt to fix the initial problems was a constant remonder to me that I made a bad decision for my wife's 40th birthday.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Food, Service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank DallasFireFighter
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2008

been back a while from the azteca but had a great time.
HOTEL
The hotel is small and friendly which i really loved ,it has 3 bars,theatre,internet room,gym,beauty spa,courtyard. The rooms could maybe do with a lick of paint and an extra set of drawers but the beds were comfortable and you could choose the type of pillows you wanted, there is a digital safe and fridge with beer,soft drinks and water restocked daily,i must say it had the best shower i've come across in the caribbean.
FOOD
It has 4 resturants, buffet, italian,mexican,chinese.I loved the mexican(peanut ice-cream is the best), had a good meal in italian, didn't personally do chinese and rest of my party wasn't that keen, the buffet had plenty of choice most nights and really dont think you'd starve, breakfast was good and omelett lady was brilliant, if you really couldn't find anything to eat the pool bar cooked pizza, pasta, burgers, chips, salad and plenty more all day and night.
STAFF
The staff work hard all day and night , they are friendly and alway willing to help.Any problems were sorted out very quickly.The animation team were great , they work long days but are always happy and trying to make sure you have a good time.The shows were hit n miss but the Micheal jackson,Grease,Moulin rouge were great
POOL/BEACH
The pool is one depth all over with a seperate childrens pool and a small area of ankle deep water,although not heated by late afternoon the water was always really warm . The beach is one of the best in the area with plenty of loungers and shade,although there are sand bags in the water they only added to the kids fun.
EXTRAS
We did 2 trips "captain hook" and we all loved it, "Xel-Ha" which was a great day out. We went down to 5th ave a couple of times its a 20 min walk or $5 taxi ride there are plenty of shops and bars, there is a small plaza 5 mins away with a few shops,you can also use the sister hotel the "maya" although we were not impressed and glad we were at the azteca.
All in all we had a great time

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank jcrobbielover
Italy/Netherlands
Reviewed 23 September 2008

We just returned from a 2 week stay at the Azteca. The hotel was above our expectations: the staff were kind, professional and always had a smile on their face, the rooms were impeccably clean. When the tap in the bathroom broke, they sent maintenance within 10 minutes of us reporting the fault and it was fixed immediately.
The beach was beautiful and clean. The food was not great but it was what we expected from an All Inclusive. The hotel is within walking distance from Playa del Carmen, so in the evening it was easy to go out after dinner. The ruins around the corner are worth a visit but use insect repelent when you go.
The negative aspects:
The tours organized by the hotel are expensive, we did some research on the net before going and found some other organizers that had nicer and cheaper tours and had a great time. Same with car rental, if you rent a car from the company in the hotel you pay minumum $90USD a day, if you go to the shopping centre down the road, you'll pay around $60USD and if you go to Playa del Carmen you'll get the same car for around $30USD.
The Dive Shop in the hotel. The shop is run by Scuba Caribe and NOT by Wyndham. We are both certified divers but I have been diving for just under 20 years and have several certofications, my partner got cerfied last year and can only dive to 18metres. The guy from the dive shop wanted to sell us a package and when I asked what a full day 2 dive package consisted of he replied that the first dive was to 30 meters and the second was to around 15m. When I said that my partner can only dive to 18m max and therefore we needed a package with 2 shallow dives, he said that nothing stopped my partner from going deeper and that he could very well dive to 30m. This is absolutely not true. A certification to 18m trains you to dive to that depth and with those risks, deeper diving entails certain risks that an inexperienced untrained person can not manage (if this wasn't the case there wouldn't be depth limits tied to the certifications). Furthermore, if something goes wrong, the insurance will not cover the costs for accidents that happen during a dive deeper that your cerified depth limit. The guy from the dive shop said that I was talking nonsense, so I went and complained to the management of the hotel. The manager spoke to the dive shop manager who told him that "PADI (the certifying agency) is doing a promotion that allows people to dive deeper than their certified limit this summer". At this point I thanked the hotel manager for the information, told him that it's not his fault and that I would report the incident here and to PADI (of which I am a member and therefore I know that the above is total nonsense).
If you want to dive, go into Playa del Carmen and look for a dive shop that looks professional and convinces you when you talk to them. They will most probably also be cheaper. If you are only looking to do a couple of dives, hop on the ferry to Cozumel, walk around a find a shop there, the best diving is in Cozumel anyway.

• Liked — Efficient, professional and smiling staff
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,662 reviews

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!