“Not bad for the price ”

Ranked #73 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Not bad for the price ”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the viva azteca from June 29-July 6, 2014. We stayed in room 1234. It was very close to the pool so we were happy about that. The room had an odor that I wasn't fond of on the first day because of the humidity. It didn't bother me after that. The room was clean and the cleaning staff did a great job each day. The mini fridge was only stocked once during the week, but we found that we didn't really need anything out of it because we could get drinks anywhere. By the time we came into our rooms at night, we were ready for bed. Bring wash cloths because there aren't any. I didn't waste the money on the room safe. We had our money on us at all times, but my kids had their iPads in the room and they were never touched.

As Americans, we were the minority. Most people are European and very little English is spoken. There were a lot of smokers at the hotel and ash trays at all of the beach cabanas. The pool water was about as hot as the hot tub.

The beach is amazing. You will not find one better. The ocean water was also warm and the green flag was up almost every day.

The food was ok, not great. I am very picky so I didn't eat any meat. I basically was on carb overload. I ate a lot of pizza and pasta. That was my choice though. The Italian restaurant was very good.

The bartenders were very friendly and gave my kids a million Shirley Temples without ever complaining. Victor at the pool bar is my favorite.

I loved the free wi fi in the lobby and outside area. It wasn't always easy to log on, but not many places offer free wi fi so I won't complain.

The entertainment at night is ok. Nothing spectacular. They were not pushy at all during the day to get you to join their activities.

We took advantage of the free boogie boards and catamaran rides while we were there. That was fun for the kids. We did do an excursion snorkeling with a guy set up on the beach not affiliated with the hotel. It was a fantastic experience.

If you're not unrealistic in your expectations, I think you will enjoy this hotel. It's like a wyndham in the US. It's not the best, but it's certainly not the worst. I would go back again.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Jeannene W
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to write this positive review.

We are glad that we were able to meet all of your expectations and provide you with an enjoyable vacation in the Riviera Maya.

Thank you for your preference and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My experience at Viva Azteca was satisfactory, but most of the reviews here do an accurate job painting a picture of the resort. However, the one thing that made the entire trip worth while was the Dive Center. While I was at Viva Azteca I decided to get my Scuba Diver certificatation and it was the best decision I've made in a long time. The Dive team at Viva Azteca and Maya is wonderful, charismatic, and passionate. My first dive (and also pool exercises beforehand) was with Odin, and not only did he project a sense of calm and patience while teaching us how to use the Scuba equipment safely but it did not feel as though this was the routine portion of the job that would bore most people, there was joy in helping others learn his passion of diving. His patience extended to diving in the ocean, where one person in our dive group had a moment where he wasn't sure of himself in the ocean. This didn't seem to faze Odin as he calmed down the diver quickly and with ease. The rest of our dive went smoothly and all of us had a memorable experience for a lifetime, even the gentlemen that 'freaked out' in the beginning. He assured us this will not be his last diving experience, and I believe that to be mostly in part of the Dive Ceter staff.

I enjoyed my experience so much that I upgraded from Scuba Diver certification to the Open Water Certification. This was the next best decision I've made. My following dive was with Roberto, and that experience was just as, if not more, memorable than the previous experience. With a smaller group this time we were able to explore the ocean bottom a little more and was able to see a moray eel and a crab which seemed happy to have a dance with Roberto. Because of the size of the group there was no 'freak outs' and the dive went very smoothly.

My last two dives were wonderful, and at no point did I ever feel unsafe or nervous being in the ocean with the dive team. I would recommend this to everyone! You can tell most people at the resort at working for a living but the Dive Team at Viva Azteca and Maya really lives to dive. If it were not for the dive team there I would not go back to Viva Azteca, but I will surely be considering booking a vacation to Viva Maya to continue my diving education and experience with Odin, Victor, Roberto and Pancho. Thank you guys very much!

-Patrick

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Patrick N
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the services of the onsite Dive Centre and that you were able to explore the natural beauty of the Caribbean Sea. We regret to hear that we were unable to meet with all your expectations and we hope you afford us the opportunity to serve you again in the future and convince you of our Resort and the services included in our all-inclusive package.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My girlfriend and I just returned after 6 nights at this resort. Overall, we had a good time, but I probably wouldn't return again. I'll cover some of the main points:

1) If you're not a cigarette smoker, this resort is probably not for you. People smoke all over the place and there are a few "no smoking" areas, but they're right next to the smoking areas so you'll breathe smoke no matter what. All of the umbrellas at the beach have ashtrays, so if you want to go to the beach and lie in the shade without breathing in second-hand smoke, you'll need to drape a towel over yourself or bring your own umbrella. This was the worst part of my experience, I think.

2) There's a $2 USD/day charge to use the in-room safe. They have a message on them saying they're connected to some system so they'll be able to "detect" usage. This is not true... we didn't use the safe at all and when I was checking out they tried to charge me for using the safe. I argued that not only had we not used the safe, but we hadn't even touched it other than when the porter dropped our bags in the room and showed us where the safe was located. The front desk man called housekeeping and then told me smugly (as if I had tried to pull one over on him and failed), that "housekeeping says the safe door is in a different position than when you checked in, and that proves you used the safe". We didn't pay the fee, of course, but the whole experience was a bit silly.

3) The rooms were standard - nothing special but nice enough. They're not as nice as at some other resorts in the same star category, but we spent very little time in the room anyway. Housekeeping kept the room clean around our "vacation mess".

4) If you stay here, I recommend walking down the beach to the Viva Wyndham Maya and using their "relax pool", which we used a couple of times and there were never more than a dozen people or so around.

5) The food was our favorite part of the trip. The buffet was average. We found something to eat every day. The a la carte restaurants, however, were very good. We ate at the Italian and Oriental restaurants at Azteca, and at the Mediterranean restaurant at the Maya. Unexpectedly, the Oriental was my favorite, though we had a great experience at all 3. The service was fantastic and the food quality was better than we'd expected.

6) The nightly entertainment shows were resort quality, which is to say it's the same group of people every night that have learned some choreographed dances. Mildly entertaining if you have nothing better to do - for this price, you can't really expect the resort to hire outside talent each night. It would have been nice to have some musicians for a night or two, though.

7) Bartenders were great. They were always friendly and fast, and considering how many margaritas those guys make in a day it's got to be tough to look happy while doing it!

Overall, we enjoyed our time at the beach but there were some issues. I probably won't return to this resort again just because there was nothing about it that "wowed" us, but I think most people coming here to get away for a week will have a fine time.

Room Tip: Our room was close to the boundary of the resort and we could hear partying next door when we went t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cole E
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are glad that your overall appreciation of our Resort, its services and facilities was positive, but regret that we were unable to exceed your expectations. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated as your experience and the information you are providing will help us to continually improve our services.

Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and convince you of our services.

Best Regards,

Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our family of four, (our 2 sons now in their twenties and had the best holiday to date!)plus 2 friends visited the Aztecs for 2 weeks in June. This was our families 4th time at the hotel and our friends first visit to Mexico. The last time we stayed was 6 years ago. I did consider other, larger more expensive hotels but decided to go back to the Azteca. It was the right decision! The Azteca isn't 5* luxury, but it is relaxing, clean, friendly with the ideal location.The beach is fantastic, plenty of sunbeds. You don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one. We loved the mayan coffee's in the afternoon and thevpre dinner drinks in the court yard. The a la carte restaurants still as excellent as we remebered. The staff were friendly and helpful. In particular Angel from reception who helped us change rooms from the ground floor to 2nd floor which had fab views. A special mention to Manuel senior the porter. He always has a smile, is very friendly and really helped my husband when he was ill from insect and spider bites. We were disappointed with a couple of things and it solely forvthese reasons l haven't given 5 stars.It was a shame that we no longer have tissues and lotions in the bathroom and not having the water replenished every other day also made a difference. Yes you can replenish the bottles, but it would be nice not to have to do it. It is a shame that this some guests do get the extra's and not everyone is treated the same. Although l loved my coffee at the pool bar each morning, it would be good to have these facilities in your room. I must also mention that with a couple of exceptions including the lovely Hazel and Dennis, most of the animation team were only interested in the Italian visitors. None of this spoiled what was a fantastic holiday. We are hoping to return hopefully next year.

Room Tip: Avoid 1133 it faces the back of the hotel and is very dark.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank cosgscrap
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor regarding your second visit to the Viva Wyndham Azteca.

We are delighted that you choose our Resort on a second occasion and that you even invited your friends to join you. We are glad that we were able to convince you of our excellent service and demonstrate our continuous commitment to provide an unforgettable vacation experience to our guests. Please be sure that your comments will be taken into consideration as they will assist us to continue improving.

Thank you for recommending our Resort and please remember that we will be pleased to welcome you back next year.

Best regards,

Swanton, Maryland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have been to Playa del Carmen several times and this resort is a hidden treasure. It is much smaller than the larger resorts and very intimate. The food was great, the drinks yummy, the beach is the best in the entire area and their customer service is excellent. I cannot say enough about this resort. The bartenders, animation staff and every other worker at the resort go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

Beyond the typical tropical beach vacations, here is a short list of the best moments at this resort:

* cappuccinos on the beach early in the morning
* relaxing afternoons under the numerous palapas on the beach
* sharing a vacation with families from various countries around the world (but predominately European)
* sitting in the court yard before dinner enjoying different speciality drinks each night
* walking to the shopping plaza outside the resort and bartering with the locals

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank rt_1112
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for the fantastic review!

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at the Viva Wyndham Azteca

We truly appreciate it when our guests take the time to inform us about their vacation experience at the Viva Wyndham Azteca and we are thrilled to read that our customer service exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your review.

Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I can honestly say that the Viva Wyndham Azteca exceeded our expectations in almost every way. From the moment we arrived, we had absolutely no problems. Check in was pleasant and the clerks both friendly, so I’m not sure where the negative comments are coming from there. We were never bothered by any time share people at the resort. At check in they asked us to stop by, but we didn’t. The next morning we had a reminder card, and that was the end of that.

We stayed in Room 1121 from June 14-19, 2014. The room is very close to the pool bar and the beach, so the location was great. The room was your typical Mexican resort room, comparable to other resorts we’ve used in Cancun in the past. The AC worked well, plenty of hot water for the shower. All-in-all a good room. The beds were a bit hard, but we seemed to sleep just fine.

Our house cleaners did an awesome job, and we all loved the towel animals. An easy $5 tip each morning on the bed, and a nice note got us well taken care of, not that I think it would have been different otherwise. I always left goofy drawing on the note, and we always returned to extra water bottles and on our last day, a bottle of champagne.

The entire staff was friendly and polite at all times. The bar staff were always quick with a drink, much of the time greeting us by name. Victor and Roberto will take care of you, no matter what you order or how many of them you need!

The property is smaller, so nothing is more than a minute or two away, including the awesome beach. Truly a high point of the property, the beach is outstanding. Perfectly sandy, plenty of loungers, and the ever present animation team ready to get you involved in a game of beach volleyball, or other activities. Also, while there are plenty of loungers on the beach, the shaded ones go fast. Get down there early to reserve your spot!

Regarding the animation team, what a great group of people! They will come by from time-to-time, asking if you want to join in on an upcoming activity, but if you don’t want to, they say thanks and move on. They got me and my daughter involved in everything from beach volleyball, to capture the flag, to beach darts.

If I were to find any fault with the Viva Azteca, and no resort is perfect, I would say the food is just average, with some exceptions. The burgers at the pool bar are good, the pizza really good, but the dinner buffet just average. That is not to say it’s a bad buffet, because it isn’t. It just has less variety than other places we’ve stayed. This isn’t a big issue for us. We found plenty to eat, (I gained 5 pounds) but if food is important to you, I figure you should know. We only ate at one specialty restaurant, the Italian on Father’s Day, and it was very good. I don’t know how many reservations you can make, but we prefer to eat whenever, rather than having a reservation time, so we didn’t eat at any of the others.

Overall, we found the Viva Azteca to be a great choice for our vacation, and I suspect we have found our place in Playa del Carmen. It’s the perfect size, has the perfect beach, and a great staff.

Room Tip: Our room 1121, was on the bottom floor right near the pool bar. Very convenient to to pool and the b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank dasjman
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor and sharing your experiences with other travelers.

Our main goal is to provide our guests with a pleasant stay, so we are really grateful for your positive feedback. We truly hope you felt like being at home engaging in fun activities with your friends of the animation team!

We would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future and provide you with a second unforgettable vacation experience.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

My wife and I have been going to Viva in Playa Del Carmen for over 10 years. Without a doubt, this is my favorite place to vacation. It is very affordable. The food is good. The drinks flow. And the beach is beautiful. We walk into town to the shops or to take the ferry to Cozumel. Two doors down is the larger, more crowded Viva Wyndham Maya which you can use all of their bars and restaurants too. We have gone with large family groups and with just couples. It is a fun place for all ages.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MikeZCA
VivaWyndhamAzteca, Director General at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your generous comments and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your numerous visits to our beautiful Resort and we are delighted to hear that you are part of our group of loyal guests, whom year after year honor us with their preference.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at anytime.

Best regards,

The Reef Coco Beach
The Reef Coco Beach
#104 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,655 reviews

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!