My family and I stayed at the viva azteca from June 29-July 6, 2014. We stayed in room 1234. It was very close to the pool so we were happy about that. The room had an odor that I wasn't fond of on the first day because of the humidity. It didn't bother me after that. The room was clean and the cleaning staff did a great job each day. The mini fridge was only stocked once during the week, but we found that we didn't really need anything out of it because we could get drinks anywhere. By the time we came into our rooms at night, we were ready for bed. Bring wash cloths because there aren't any. I didn't waste the money on the room safe. We had our money on us at all times, but my kids had their iPads in the room and they were never touched.
As Americans, we were the minority. Most people are European and very little English is spoken. There were a lot of smokers at the hotel and ash trays at all of the beach cabanas. The pool water was about as hot as the hot tub.
The beach is amazing. You will not find one better. The ocean water was also warm and the green flag was up almost every day.
The food was ok, not great. I am very picky so I didn't eat any meat. I basically was on carb overload. I ate a lot of pizza and pasta. That was my choice though. The Italian restaurant was very good.
The bartenders were very friendly and gave my kids a million Shirley Temples without ever complaining. Victor at the pool bar is my favorite.
I loved the free wi fi in the lobby and outside area. It wasn't always easy to log on, but not many places offer free wi fi so I won't complain.
The entertainment at night is ok. Nothing spectacular. They were not pushy at all during the day to get you to join their activities.
We took advantage of the free boogie boards and catamaran rides while we were there. That was fun for the kids. We did do an excursion snorkeling with a guy set up on the beach not affiliated with the hotel. It was a fantastic experience.
If you're not unrealistic in your expectations, I think you will enjoy this hotel. It's like a wyndham in the US. It's not the best, but it's certainly not the worst. I would go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Be close to everything. White sand beaches. Mayan ruins. Lush jungles. A championship golf course. And exciting nightlife. The Wyndham Azteca All-Inclusive Resort, a stunning resort on the breathtaking Mayan Riviera on the east coast of the Yucatan, has it all. And it's just 45 minutes from Cancun International Airport in Mexico. Explore captivating Mayan ruins. Find your own private seaside cove, or experience the fun in the sun and nightlife of Playa Del Carmen, just two miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Viva Wyndham Azteca reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Viva Azteca
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Viva Azteca
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Viva Wyndham Azteca Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen