“One storm with two names!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scuba Tribe

The Scuba Tribe
More attraction details
Owner description: The Scuba Tribe is Playa del Carmen’s youngest and most dynamic full-service dive center. Our enthusiasm for diving is contagious! Join our tribe and let us show you why we love exploring the underwater world. We are passionate about what we do and pride ourselves on offering an unsurpassed level of service and attention. Your safety and enjoyment are our main concerns.
Atlanta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“One storm with two names!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

This trip had the makings of a disaster. The weather was unusually wet, windy and stormy because of a Pacific storm crossing land. The storm (Barbara in the Pacific) later became Andrea in the Gulf. The harbor was closed at the last minute a couple of times.

Planning and communication: We planned to complete our Advanced course and Nitrox course. Sofia started a great communication line with email that continued with both email and phone all through our vacation. Even when their phone went out she sent an email telling folks to call their cell number. Her communication became key when the weather forced us to change plans several times. She presented options that we would not have thought of. We completed the certification course as planned. We got in 14 dives in a 9 day window and had planned not to dive two of those days.

Pricing and Packages: When I looked at the website and saw the package names I was amused. Look and you will see what I mean. We did our diving day to day because of the weather. The fact that we had done training there got us a nice discount on the Cenote and boat dives. I was really impressed when I heard Sofia assure another customer that they would still get package pricing and a refund of the difference if they could not use the entire package.

Boutique operation with great service: This is a small shop. There is one large room and a small restroom. They share a boat service with some other small dive operations. You have to carry your gear a couple of blocks to the ocean. You are walking there with your dive master. They still had a fresh water rinse for our gear. We took showers with HOT WATER. They rinsed our gear a couple of times and offered to daily. We stored our gear there over night. Hector even packed up our gear and brought it to the Cozumel Ferry so we didn’t have to get up an hour earlier. Later the same day he took our gear back to the dive shop after a day of diving. The last day we packed up our gear and headed out. Later in the day I got a message from Sofia saying my dive partner left her wet suit. They brought it to us. The little things like that were endless. Both Hector and Sofia understand what it means to provide full service.

Dive Masters: Emilie was with us for all but one salt water dive. She was also our instructor. Ricardo (Smiling Rick) was our guide in the Cenote dives. Both of these dive masters are “contract” workers. We were extremely comfortable with both of them. The great service continued with them. Rick taught us two very important things. 1. How to eat a mango. 2. Never tell a Mexican to take his time. Emilie is a small French woman. Her English is very good and her skills really instill confidence. Pound for pound she is my favorite dive master ever.

Summary: Best dive shop service ever. These guys turned what could have been a really crappy situation and gave us options that made this another great vacation.

London
“Cenotes, Cozumel & Whale Sharks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Had a fantastic few dives with Scuba Tribe following a recommendation from my hotel (Aventura Mexicana). As an experienced PADI rescue diver I was very impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the team. I had two great dives including one off Cozumel island and a cave dive in a Cenotes. I also booked into a whale shark snorkelling trip which was incredible.

Visited July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing, Friendly, Flexible, Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

These guys are great. I called Scuba Tribe to book a cenote dive for the morning of Sat, June 1. They were highly recommended by Deep Blue, an awesome dive shop I'd been diving with all week on Cozumel. I had a bit of a tight schedule as I was flying out early afternoon on the Sunday following, and their usual dive schedule started later in the morning and wouldn't have worked for me. Hector (the owner or manager?) was incredibly friendly, flexible and helpful, available by phone and email throughout as we were setting up a plan. He arranged a special dive starting early Saturday morning (meet at the shop at 7.30am) for Chac Mool and Kukulkan cenotes (relatively close to Playa), with their divemaster Ricardo and one other diver. I rented all my equipment for no extra charge, and everything was in excellent condition - better than that at many dive shops I've seen. Ricardo was funny, knowledgeable and overall a great DM, and due to the early hour we were able to dive the first site completely alone, with the halocline utterly undisturbed. As we took our surface interval, other divers began to arrive, though we were once again extraordinarily lucky and dived the second site before any other groups were in the water. Again, we had the whole site to ourselves. Incredible! It was truly a highlight of my whole trip to Mexico. Giant thanks to Hector (!) and Ricardo for the brilliant experience. I'd dive with them again in a heartbeat.

In summary, Scuba Tribe is an awesome, helpful, friendly, knowledgeable place with great equipment, DMs, and a huge wealth of knowledge about all the regional dive sites. These are the guys you want to dive with!

Barcelona, Spain
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience with Scuba tribe!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We have just finished a week of diving with the Scuba tribe and were incredibly impressed with their quality of service.
Unfortunately the weather was a bit of an obstacle as there were hurricanes going for the majority of the week, however Sofia was very flexible in changing our original program in order to allow us to dive as much as possible.
Every day Hector would gather everyone´s equipment and make sure that all was in great condition. Even the day that we went to Conzumel he came to the ferry terminal at 6:30 in the morning just to bring us our equipment and show us the way to the dive centre in Conzumel, when I´m sure most places would make you come into the dive shop the day before to get all of your stuff so they wouldn´t have to wake up so early!
The diving we did was great, a special mention to Deep Blue which is the dive school they use in Conzumel and Andrea, who lead us on the Cenote dives. They were all very knowledgable guides and we were incredibly impressed with every dive they lead us on.
Good luck to Scuba Tribe and we really look forward to coming back in the near future!

1 Thank Sevans888
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Professional, experienced and great people to take you diving.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

On May 7th My boyfriend and I decided to do the Discover Scuba.
I had never experienced diving and let's just say I had a bit,ok a lot of anxiety. My Dive Master Elliot was very good. He was able to calm me down, and take me through all the steps and help me get through my dive. I did two dives the same day . With Elliot being very patient, calm and understanding I was able to do my second dive with more ease.
I am thankful he was there and helped me. He helped me through my fears by being a great Dive Master and by working with me through it all :) I plan on continuing my diving training and its thanks to The Scuba Tribe (Elliot) for this.
If you want great and experienced Dive Masters this is the place.
When I return to Playa I will be going to dive with the gang at The Scuba Tribe.

Visited May 2013