“Mold-infested room”

Caracol Suite Hotel
Ranked #189 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We stayed for one night (rather than two) in October 2012.

We reserved this hotel due to the good reviews on TripAdvisor, but we had a different experience.

The room was infested with mold, on the top of the walls and under the bed. Please see the photos that I have posted. You will also see the poor state of the room, the absence of sheets and toilet seat. The beds were also very uncomfortable (i.e. metal springs all over).

As it was too late to change hotel, we stayed for the night in the room (the receptionist offered us a different room, but we refuse as the whole hotel also smelled; no point on changing for changing). We had to have the window open and the fan set to high to get rid of the smell. We were able to get a refund from Expedia for the room for the second night.

I highly recommend NOT to stay in this hotel, as there are much better options in the vincinity that we not get you sick from breathing mold.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank veronyk

Reviewed 30 September 2012

This place is very underrated. For the money, you can't pick a more conveniently located budget hotel. Close to big supermarkets, beach, bars, restaurants, etc. You can even get collective van transportation for very affordable prices to and from the Cancun international airport. Also very close to 5 Ave. and ferry crossing to Cozumel. Have to say that I didn't even visit Cozumel due to so many distractions in Playa. Tip: bring your own beach towels and find a piece of beach a few feet from Mamitas beach club and you can save you some cash and enjoy the same beach.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Gilbert S
Reviewed 6 September 2012

There's basically a mini "strip" or main area in Playa and this hotel was about a 25 minute walk from there which is not worth it in the heat. We walked it twice and it was way too draining plus we got caught in the rain. Twice we took a pedi-bicycle but those guys charged even more than the cabs! (50 pesos versus only 35 pesos for a cab). That would be fine except once you're at the hotel you can't find a cab or bike that will take you back to the center.

Also I wouldn't even really call this a "hotel" at all...it was definitely more of a hostel with bathrooms in the rooms. The main room itself was clean but the bathrooms were totally dingy and moldy. The closet was so dingy it was unusable. It was a pretty young crowd so people would be coming in at 2am yelling all over the place not letting us get a good night's sleep.

And forget asking for extra towels...you are allowed 2 per room no exceptions! I guess that's fine for guys but what can I say, girls need one for their hair as well. When we would go to the front desk to ask for more sometimes we'd have to wait a while for the one staff member to show up and then he would deny us towels yet again.

Anyway, all and all I wouldn't stay here again because it's too far from all the action (and the ferry is really far if you're looking to go to Cozumel from here). I regret paying $40 a night for this room. We ended up spending another $40 in transportation to and from the hotel/city center. It's honestly worth no more than $25 a night.

Room Tip: I guess I would say it's good to be on the first floor but it was so small I'm not sure any...
2  Thank oneinfivebill
Reviewed 6 September 2012

While very cheap, $27 a night, it is very sparse, the walls need new paint (nothing peeling but there are splotches on wall), the bed is too soft, the furniture very basic. Good for one night but I would not recommend multiple and would find a $35 or $40 room that is nicer. Front desk people were nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The only good thing about this hotel is it's location. The room wasn't very clean, there was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom. There are no hair dryers or phones in rooms. My balcony door lock was broken. I told the front desk person several times (different people) if they can fix it and nobody did.

2  Thank alexct81
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My friend and I spent five nights at the Hotel Playa Suites and found the hotel to be adequate. When we first arrived to our room I noticed that none of the pillows had cases and there was only one towel. I spoke with the receptionist and the problem was immediately resolved. Although there were three beds, only one had a bedspread. The mattresses, however, appeared to be new and were very comfortable. The air conditioning worked well and the bathroom/shower were very clean and there were no issues with plumbing. The location was conveniently located near Mamitas Beach Club and El Club de Cerveza. Overall, I found the Playa Suites to be adequate for travelers who just want a cool, clean place to fall asleep.

2  Thank jesusitadelnorte
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I really recommend this hotel for business or family trip..the hotel is very clean is in a very good location,they have really nice people working at the hotel. My family and I had an amazing time.
Great hotel,good rates.

Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank Silvana S
victorbona, Gerente at Caracol Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear friend Silvana,

thanks to write about us, and we feel very well knowing about your amazing time during your stay; we hope to see you very soon.

Regards!