“New location lacks charm”
Review of La Santanera

La Santanera
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Underground Disco Cantina. An eclectic tropical intimate atmosphere La Santanera is nightlife in Playa Del Carmen and all around the world with both an outdoor terrace lounge and an indoor sexy disco. Handpicked International Dj's. Non Stop Music until midnight! In addition in the first floor featured inside the club there is Botanero Santanera a restaurant with Free Food, yeah, for free, you just pay the drinks and we give away the food. Where you can start the night fully belly to complete the experience of an unforgettable night or just relief the "munchies" in the middle of the night.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The new location of this nightclub is in what seems to be an old parking lot. It definitely lacks charm and the music was not as good as I was expecting. I am not sure that Thievery Corporation owns it anymore, which might be why the quality has lapsed.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

First of all...

Make sure you want to get totally wasted, because unless you drink a lot and expensive drinks they will treat you as scum. Bouncer is a really rude person, waiters and waitress doesnt care about anything more than money and white people that look rich.

stay away from this place.

1  Thank 5thAveManager
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Never made it past the door. My boyfriend and showed up after cocobongos on a Saturday night and were harassed at the door. When I started to talk to the bouncer I was placed in a headlock and wrestled to the floor before being punched in the face on the way out the front door. I've never had a problem with doorman in in my life. Went ot the police to file charges but was sent downtown to wait for 2 hrs beforehand. Avoid at all costs!!!

4  Thank daviq g
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Well.
Beautiful place, but honestly... The music sux big time.
... Sincerly, DJs playing at the same BPM, with Tracktor, playing the same thing over and over again.
They are SO boring. Wake up.
The music upstairs AND upstairs was basicly the same.
Same BPM, same repetitive music, same Beatport stuff.
Boring afterall ;)
And usual drug house music.
Zzzz

Also, the music stopped 3 or 4 time downstairs. Seriously ????!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

My husband & I partied here 1 night during our holiday in Playa. We came here on recommendation of our hotel & by checking Tripadvisor reviews. We were looking for a finer establishment, more age appropriate- no longer in our twenties didn't want to be kicking it with the teeny boppers.
Venue is nice. Nice clientele. Downstairs basement bar with AC & smoke free appeared to attract the younger crowd, & upstairs is a large open air lounge bar. Both levels had DJ's playing house music. We were surprised how reasonable our drinks bill was.