“A "Dive Mike" Adventure is Absolute Quality Personified”
Review of Dive Mike

Dive Mike
Reviewed 21 March 2012

There are plenty of dive shops to choose from if you want a diving adventure while visiting Playa del Carmen. On our recent visit (February 2012) we had an opportunity to exercise our choice. Great fortune landed us at Dive Mike, a modest operation with its store front a half block from the beach on Calle 8. If you visit, do not be fooled by the lack of pizzazz in advertising. Go for it – and you are in for a most satisfying experience.

My husband and I possess PADI certifications, but we had not dived in many years. Dive Mike took us through a thorough refresher course in the morning before a two-dive reef dive that afternoon. What made the whole experience the most special – and this is what I might conclude sets Dive Mike apart from the other Playa operations – is the personal attention we received. Dive Mike sends small groups out to its various dive sites, groups of four or five, each with a certified diving instructor. And what a wonderful group of instructors they are!

Two days later, unable to resist Mike’s (of Dive Mike) enthusiastic description of what it is like to dive in a cenote, we signed up for the adventure. Eschewing the most popular sites for cenote diving, Mike took us to one rarely visited by diving groups, and led us on a spectacular three-quarter mile loop in unbelievably clear, undisturbed underground river water, lasting roughly two hours round trip. We were the only diving group there, one group of three and one group of four, spacing our dive entrance far enough apart so that we did not see each other during the entire dive experience. It was as mystical and euphoric as Mike described. The light filtering through the rocky surface of the caves is awe inspiring, almost celestial, and definitely other-worldly.

The cost of the diving adventures was completely reasonable, considering that all our equipment (top-notch) was included. Dive Mike’s diving instructors are multi-lingual, too, (and not just Spanish/English/French) making your diving experience a fun, “international” adventure as well.

If you are a SCUBA diving enthusiast, Dive Mike has an amazing array of packages for you to choose from. A Dive Mike adventure is absolute quality personified.

3  Thank Bill M
in 7 reviews
"briefing"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 28 February 2012

They are great! The instructors care about the quality of your experience and your safety. They are patient and explain everything. Very professional and trustworthy. You might find others willing to offer you snorkeling/scuba outings cheaper, but it's not a good idea. However, I don't recommend diving in playa - try to get a trip to cozumel or cenotes (if you are experienced enough to dive in the caverns). But since we were staying in playa, this dive shop was a great place to set up our trips close by our hotel. They work with other dive shops & instructors all over the area.

1  Thank Cristina L
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was visiting in mexico for two weeks in feb. I came from Finland and I was really waiting to get scuba diving in Playa Del Carmen. I did check out few other places too and I did end up with Dive Mike.

I bought dive package of 6 dives which I recommend if you want to try cenotes, open sea and Cozumel and get all of them done. Cenote was best because it felt unique and it's different from everything else I have done before. Our instructors were really good and all the gears were pretty much brand new. BCD's, regulators, wetsuits and all other equipment was in really good shape.

I recommend Dive Mike to anybody who is interested to dive in Playa Del Carmen. Thanks and greetings from Finland to Dive Mike!

2  Thank Simo I
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I did Cenote 2 dives and a bull shark dive with Dive Mike. The Cenote Dives were awesome beyond imagining. Do not cheat yourself of this unique experience! We were friendly and knowingly guided through the safety procedures by Tech Diver Candy and the experience is just impossible to describe. I felt like Indiana Jones or some National Geographic photographer out on exploration.
At the shark dive we unfortunatly didn't get to see any since it was the end of the season, but that's part of nature. Can't blame the Dive center on that and despite the missing sharks we have an eventful dive anyways... 5 stars from me to Dive Mike and I hope to come back some day...

2  Thank Elleve