“Total relaxation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
California
“Total relaxation”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We eent here for our honeymoon and i think for a hotel thats been open for only a month, their service was great. Some of the reviewers here must be really spoiled brats who expect to be treated like queens and kings and treat their butlers like real slaves. I think the service was excellent and all staff realy go out of their way to satisfy everyone. The food was great, most all inclusive restaurants have very limited choices, but paradisus la perla has 13 restaus and all with great food! I would definitely go back. The beach looked nice but not nice for swimming, i guess thats the only glitch i found. But overall, i think paradisus is a good honeymoon place to stay at.

8 Thank Iamsomeone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,842)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My friends and I recently went to Paradisus La Perla to celebrate the New Year. Having gone to Mexico about 6 times in the last 7 years, always staying in 5 star resorts, I know to expect only the best in service. Mexico is my favorite place to vacation mostly because I can count on the service being excellent. Unfortunately my experience at Paradisus La Perla was no where near 5 or even 4 start quality.

Let me start by saying that last year the same group of friends stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana in the DR. We stayed in the Royal Service section, although we were extremely disapointed since, despite supposedly being given priority for restaurants, etc. we couldn't get a reservation to save our lives. We also we supposed to have a butler who was never around except to recruit me for the time share speech. We chalked our lack of service up to the culture since we are used to the high quality given in Mexico.

While I was reluctant to book another trip at a Paradisus I figured that it was in Mexico, it was new, so it must be better. No. The exact same problems we had in the DR we had in Mexico. All service related issues. While it would be tedious to list everything experienced, you should be aware of some things that are not clear at all when booking:

1. Royal Service rooms ONLY have a king bed. If you are friends travelling together and do not want to share a bed you are SOL. Unless of course you want to sleep on the couch, which is not a pull out. We had two guys with us who refused to sleep in a king bed. After calling several times (I was told RS had a pull out couch), they were upgraded to a one bedroom with two doubles and a pull out couch, however it wasn't in the RS area and the room was not nearly as nice. I was told that RS was a "concept" area. If it is meant for couples then it should say so. I met two other families who had the exact same problem.
Also, the "whirlpool" on the balcony is a bathtub. It fits one person.

2. The beach is DANGEROUS!!!! There are massive sharp rocks in the water and during our stay we saw several people get cut, bleed, etc. My friend got a huge bruise on his leg from a tree trunk and our other friend got a scuffed knee from the rock/cement/construction debris or whatever is in the water. If you want a calm beautiful beach do NOT go here.

3. They do not enforce the Royal Service only areas nor the adult only side. There were people from other areas of the resort at the Royal Service pool and restaurant and kids on the La Perla side. Whats the point of upgrading.

4.. The butler is a joke. She made her presence when we first arrived and made us two dinner reservations and some tennis reservations and she dissappeared after that and I never saw her again. Also, there were no reservations on the day we arrived, the second night she told me she put us in the teppanyaki room, but we weren't on the reservation list, and we had no reservation for the third night. I spoke to THREE other couples at the pool who also were complaining about their butler and the lack of service. We weren't the only ones pissed.

5.. There was a definite lack of staff at the breakfast buffet and lunch buffet. First, the buffet didn't change during either meal the entire time we were there. Also, we had to beg for coffee, when I ordered diet coke during breakfast it either never came or I was told they didn't have it. I brought my own from the mini bar. During lunch, the waiter came maybe once. We had to order our pizza directly from the pizza maker since our waiter was MIA.

6. The waiter at the RS pool was a very good waiter, however he was overworked due to the lack of staff but tried his hardest. However, when you did order you had to wait much too long for your drinks. My friend ordered lunch one day and it never came. It was easier to go to the bar.

While the list of little things that happened could take up pages, above were my main complaints.

I will say that the room was very nice and a couple of the restaurants did have good food (not breakfast or lunch). Those were the areas that I can say were worth while.

Overall, there are way too many true 5 star resorts in Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya (this resort is not near town....it is a $10 cab ride so if you are looking to stay near the action this is not the place) to waste your money here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank trixeenyc
London
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had never done an adults only (youngest son is now 19) or an all inclusive holiday before this trip and we loved both aspects.
We went knowing that the resort was just opening but this year it was a great deal so we thought we would give it a try, particularly as some friends from NY were going.
We all went Royal Service which we thought was fantastic. Thanks to Eva and Elenit who organised any reservations we needed for the 6 in our party and looked after us beautifully. From restaurants, to spa, to golf etc they organised anything we requested.
As part of the Royal Service you get a private designated swimming pool and a private area on the beach.
You also get a private restaurant just outside the building next to the pool and near the beach. Roberto made sure everything was perfect during our stay and almost knew what we wanted to eat before we did.
The beds are super huge and super comfy.
If you want extra peace and quiet this is for you. We also had a top floor ocean view room - our kids had rooms on lower floors.
The Royal Service building has its own bar and lounge inside too.
The food throughout the resort was excellent both in quality and presentation and we have never had such wonderful serving staff anywhere (and we were at the Four Seasons Costa Rica last year) - nothing was too much trouble and although sometimes things went a bit wrong, it was due to the new opening and either not enough chefs or just getting the timings right but they definitely tried to do whatever they could.
There is hot and cold running food and drink all day, all of a fantastic standard and including premium drinks.
The beach is lovely but you do have to go to a clear place to enter the sea, but it appears they are trying to sort that out.
The resort is beautiful and I am sure all the niggles will be sorted out in the next few months.
On the negative side (and this is for the hotel really)............
The baths in the bathroom are so big that it takes about half an hour to run a bath - they need to sort the water pressure out. Also it did seem a bit ironic that they ask if it is ok to change the bed linen every other day to save water......but there is the huge bath and a jacuzzi on the terrace.
The entrance to the resort is not impressive and is right next to the end of Playa del Carmen town and frankly looks really grim when you arrive, and you can see it over the wall. Once inside it is forgotten. The comments other travellers have made about noise is valid - it just depends where your room is.
The resort has the possibility of being sensational once fully operational so we hope it fulfils its potential
Definitely do the tourist bit and if nothing else swim the Cenotes the underground caverns - incredible.

Room Tip: Go Royal Service for the best rooms. Alternatively try the swim-ups in warm weather as the pools is...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank gablegirl
New York
Reviewed 6 January 2012

my husband and I stayed here in December..

for those who gave less stars - in all honesty that wasn't fair! the hotel made it clear they haven't had a grand opening - so basically- you should expect some construction (which IMO wasn't a bother @ All!)

Rooms- very clean, loved the showers - decor
Restaurants- GREAT- FOOD- DELISH!!
Beach- BEAUTIFUL
Service- Above & Beyond- example: i forgot my bug repellent ..i let them know i was allergic :(and immediately they had someone come to my room with a spray. They next morning they called me to make sure i was okay and if i needed anything else. This made me Very happy.
Entertainment- I can't say much about this yet.. as i passed out in bed early each night LOL.. but they had a nice set up which i am sure on a weekend will be great.
Bars/Drinks- Top shelf :) very happy

I def would recommend this hotel to other couples! it was ideal for my husband & I...in fact we're planning another trip there with another couple!

near 5th ave too!

Room Tip: you pay for what you get- but any room category You will not be disappointed.
8 Thank SweetVix
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from this AMAZING resort. Our stay was over Xmas. We had the perfect vaca. Most of the reviews we read had pos/neg's. But truly I can't think of any neg's...maybe just staffing.But that's expected for a brand new resort, it will be fixed! Absolutely a 5 star resort. Modern meets Mexico/ Mayan style. Rooms are identical to website photo gallery. We had a welcome greeting with champagne and hourderves. The only prob we had at checkin was the room was not ocean view, the front desk gave us a new room after we requested it. Ocean view rooms are from the 3rd or 4th floor and all of royal service rooms. The resort has a jungle side with views to the ocean, but we preferred the pool/ ocean view side. The pool is so nice and comfortable with unlimited premium booze that we didn't spend much time on the beach. The beach is beautiful, resort has 2 sides La Perla side and Royal service side(private). Share a private bay, they are working on cleaning the beach up, some stumps were exposed but will likely be removed soon. Greenish/blue water...stunning for photos! We actually did a private photo shoot...pics turned out amazing! The restaurants are excellent, all were open but one. Recommend making reservations prior to your arrival, as I said before staffing was a little marginal...but assume this will not be for long. We ate at Passion Christmas Day, it's the only surcharge eatery at the resort $40/person. But this dinner would cost $300-400 in the states. We ate at the tempanaki/sushi(Bana)place twice...perfect experience and delicious. The grill is outstanding as well! There is a night club/ bar we hangout at almost every night, with hooka lounge if you like smoking. Great DJ, and prem cocktails all night. All service was great, our room was cleaned daily. Don't forget room service is included which we maximized, breakfast in bed...ordered numerous bottles of champagne and wine. Late night menu is limited, from grill burgers...sandwiches etc. Service at the pool was nice too... Always had a cocktail in our hand. We met some great friendly peeps there and partied at the pool a bit. Only went to town Xmas eve for dinner...cool clean 5th ave. Overall our experience was excellent, we would like to return some day soon. Some must do's while here: rent a jeep and go to Tulum, visit the Mayan ruins. And def take advantage of the Ocean Photography at the resort(office is next to the concierge desk). Ocean photo will do a private photo shoot for you complimentary, you only pay for prints or DVD if you want. Well worth the DVD. The resort and beach provide the perfect backdrop for these photos. Lastly, make sure you get the room you book, if you book an ocean view...that's what you should get. The Royal Service is nice but we did not see the value for upgrade price. But we heard if the resort is slow, they may upgrade you for a low fee. It's worth asking about. Cheers

• Stayed December 2011
16 Thank Jzayer
olathe, ks
Reviewed 4 January 2012

After reading some of the reviews i was really worried about our trip to this resort. However, I have to say it is an amazing place. We enjoyed all the restaraunts and bars. The pool was great (we were in the royal wervice..highly recommended). Only complaint was restaraunts booked and spa booked up fast. But, we just went to the places we wanted to eat and they accomodated us. We were there for New Years and the party was really fun. When this hotel starts to have more guests to fill up the bars it will be a blast. Beach was great. Walked down to Playa Del Carmen twice to hang out. All in all great time!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank william r
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Spent 5 days over Christmas at La Perla. This brand new resort is trendy and contemporary with all the modern amenities you expect. Both the suites and the public areas are beautiful in a Vegas sort of way. There are glitches as expected but the staff tries very hard to please.
PROS - The staff is wonderful. Nice pool area with plenty of chaise lounges and beds. Nice clean beach and excellent service at the beach. Spacious rooms with modern amenities. We loved the outdoor jacuzzi tub on our patio. The swim-up rooms are worth the upgrade. Ample outdoor spaces for hanging out. Excellent gym and fitness classes including yoga and spin. The spa was nice but beware that you have to book your appointments way in advance.
CONS - the restaurant reservation system is a mess!!!!! You cannot get a reservation at the specialty restaurants including their signature restaurant, Passion unless you book 3-4 days in advance. This is disturbing since the resort is barely half full! They constantly told us the restaurants are 'booked' but each time we passed them, they were nearly empty???? This was particularly the case at Passion which charges a $40 surchage per person. We were able to secure a reservation at Passion finally on our last night because I complained. There were no more than 6 or 7 tables full the entire evening we were there. I don't understand this. On the other hand, the food was superb and worth the extra money. Food quality overall was OK. It is pretty much what we expect from an all-inclusive resort.
This resort is supposed to be adult-only but all the public spaces including most of the restaurants are accessible to guests from their family-oriented resort next door. Nothing against children but we expected adults-only and paid extra for that privilege. The resort however is an excellent value but if you're a foodie or expecting super luxury, you may be disappointed. I don't think it is on par with Royal Hideaway, Mayakoba Banyan Tree or Maykoba Fairmont. Bottom line, price matters. It was a great deal but felt way short of our expectations.

15 Thank ShirleyBar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,726 reviews
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#32 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,963 reviews
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,197 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!