I'll start by saying I don't write negative reviews. Additionally, I really don't like doing this.
We booked 4 nights at Paradisus La Perla in a Royal Service Jr. Suite - Ocean View. I looked for the best room the hotel had regardless of price, with the exception of swim up due to privacy and the view. When we arrived we were told that they "upgraded" us to a one bedroom suite, but it was not in the Royal Service building of the hotel. We were told that we could still use the Royal Service facilites.
I was upset, but open-minded. They took us to the room several hundred yards away from the Royal Service section and we inspected it. Although the view was nice, the room did not have the same appearance and furnishings as the room we paid for. The furniture was not as nice, hot tub on the balcony was not working, and the pool below was not heated like in the Royal Service section.
They showed us a couple of other rooms, but they were not ocean view. Frankly, by this point I was so upset by the way that management had lied to us I had enough. I asked to have the hotel General Manager call me in the room, which he did. He was rude and continued to lie to me. He then told me he would see if we could move to the room we had paid for the next day.
He said he would check and call me back within two minutes. Twenty minutes later - no call back and I was finished wasting my valuable vacation time. I called the Fairmont Mayakoba and booked a room where I knew I would be taken care of.
I told the manager of Royal Service (not the one that didn't call me back) that we were leaving. We had been at the hotel for no more than 2 hours. I was more than fair in saying that I would pay for that night, but I just wanted to go - I was not going to let it ruin my vacation. They agreed to refund all but one night and I was on my way.
I arrived back from vacation and no refund had been given. I called the booking company and they saw the hotel noted in the file that we had stayed one complete night and then left. They were charging us for 2 nights, both breaking their agreement AND lying to me once again.
The hotel did look fairly nice, but the ineptitude of the management and rudeness would prevent me from reccomending this hotel to my worst enemy.
I know there is a chance that they will respond saying they tried to take care of me, but they did not. Offering alternitive rooms that were lesser accomodations than what I paid for is not taking care of a guest. A rude General Manager that lies and does not follow up as promised is not taking care of guests. Saying you will refund a certain amount and then lying to the booking company is not taking care of guests.
What a miserable experience. Never again will I stay at a Melia property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a hotel catering to the discerning all-inclusive traveler. With 58 swim-up suites, opulent furnishings, and international cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs, this adults-only hotel is a crowd pleaser. Rooms feature special touches like deep soaker tubs and rainfall showers. Marble floors, flat-screen TVs, Minibar, in-room safe, free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, bathrobes and slippers, cable TV service and a DVD/CD player compliment the trendy interior design. Stay active with water sports like aqua aerobics, yoga, zumba and volleyball, or visit the spacious fitness facility. The Spa offers a wet and dry sauna($). Try a different menu every night with 14 restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Melia, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Mexico/Riviera Maya