“Paid for one of the best rooms, was "upgraded" to a lesser area”

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #20 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I'll start by saying I don't write negative reviews. Additionally, I really don't like doing this.

We booked 4 nights at Paradisus La Perla in a Royal Service Jr. Suite - Ocean View. I looked for the best room the hotel had regardless of price, with the exception of swim up due to privacy and the view. When we arrived we were told that they "upgraded" us to a one bedroom suite, but it was not in the Royal Service building of the hotel. We were told that we could still use the Royal Service facilites.

I was upset, but open-minded. They took us to the room several hundred yards away from the Royal Service section and we inspected it. Although the view was nice, the room did not have the same appearance and furnishings as the room we paid for. The furniture was not as nice, hot tub on the balcony was not working, and the pool below was not heated like in the Royal Service section.

They showed us a couple of other rooms, but they were not ocean view. Frankly, by this point I was so upset by the way that management had lied to us I had enough. I asked to have the hotel General Manager call me in the room, which he did. He was rude and continued to lie to me. He then told me he would see if we could move to the room we had paid for the next day.

He said he would check and call me back within two minutes. Twenty minutes later - no call back and I was finished wasting my valuable vacation time. I called the Fairmont Mayakoba and booked a room where I knew I would be taken care of.

I told the manager of Royal Service (not the one that didn't call me back) that we were leaving. We had been at the hotel for no more than 2 hours. I was more than fair in saying that I would pay for that night, but I just wanted to go - I was not going to let it ruin my vacation. They agreed to refund all but one night and I was on my way.

I arrived back from vacation and no refund had been given. I called the booking company and they saw the hotel noted in the file that we had stayed one complete night and then left. They were charging us for 2 nights, both breaking their agreement AND lying to me once again.

The hotel did look fairly nice, but the ineptitude of the management and rudeness would prevent me from reccomending this hotel to my worst enemy.

I know there is a chance that they will respond saying they tried to take care of me, but they did not. Offering alternitive rooms that were lesser accomodations than what I paid for is not taking care of a guest. A rude General Manager that lies and does not follow up as promised is not taking care of guests. Saying you will refund a certain amount and then lying to the booking company is not taking care of guests.

What a miserable experience. Never again will I stay at a Melia property.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
11  Thank Norm G
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Dear guest,

Please accept our most sincere apology for the inconveniences you experience with us during your arrival process. We understand completely your disagreement about the assigned one bedroom Suite, as it wasn’t what you were expecting for. We want to take this opportunity to clarify that our one bedroom suites and one bedroom master suites are the highest room categories offered at the property. As you stated, the Royal Service building does not have that kind of suites and even though your one bedroom suite was apart from the main Royal service building, you were going to enjoy all the benefits in a superior room category.

The impression you currently have about our service absolutely is not representative of our service philosophy and we are really sorry that you left the property with that image about us.

Your notes were sent to our reservations department and will check about the pending refund.
We are pleased to know that at the end you have a pleasant stay in Playa del Carmen.

Receive warm regards from Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Le boyfriend and I were here from the week of feb. 10 - feb 17. My travel agent initially emailed the manager and requested for a higher floor room with partial ocean views, but when we got there they instead had put us in a luxury junior suite on the ground floor with a garden view- basically a view of the bushes... We then requested for a different room and apparently all the rooms are booked but they said they would notify us if anything became available. After getting settled in our room the front desk called us and they upgraded us to a one bedroom master suite on the third floor with a view of the pool! This was really awesome. The one bedroom master suite also has a private jacuzzi on the balcony which we really enjoyed using. The only downside was that there were two double/queen size beds in the bedroom, but they were more than happy to push the two beds together creating a california king size bed.

The food is pretty decent for a all inclusive (mind you i'm a very picky eater). The drinks are so-so depending on who's making it and which restaurant/bar you are ordering from. The number one thing that stood out from this resort aside from the modern decor is the service and cleanliness! The beds are surprisingly extremely comfortable! We have a therapedic at home and I did not think I would be able to sleep a wink on a different bed, boy was I wrong. Another good tip is that if you don't want your sheets to be cleaned using starch (this is some old school way that the hotels like to clean their bed sheets, they add starch to allow for a 'crisp' finish) which causes very hard feeling sheets you can request for them to do without. The resort itself is pretty big and honestly I have no idea how they manage to keep it so clean. The people they employ are always doing something, no lazy employees standing around. Service is immaculate, and you never feel like you are expected to tip.

One example of the outstanding service was our experience was when we had lunch at Naos. My bf was craving tacos and the buffet had everything but tacos, like many other reviewers have stated the resort does not offer traditional mexican fare. My bf asked our waitor Carlos if there were tacos available and he said no, but he quickly offered to ask the kitchen to make them for us. Ten minutes later he returned with our tacos fresh from the kitchen. If this were any other resort, that question would be answered with a 'no' and a shrug. But at the Paradisus, not a single one of our requests were refused or denied this is world class service.

The only downside of the resort is the beach and the pool service. The beach is very rocky and narrow and full of seaweed especially if the last few days have been windy. You will also see your fair share of moms in thongs on the beach, i'm assuming that crowd is from the la esmeralda side. If you are a beach person and are planning to spend the whole time on the beach, you will be disappointed.

Aside from the less than desired beach the pool was also another problem for us. We were looking for a more relaxing environment, no loud music or loud people drinking the day away, mind you we are a young couple and probably the youngest people staying at the resort during this time. If we wanted to be the life of the party surely we would have booked at one of the hotels in Cancun. The crowd at the hotel during this time was anything but calm and relaxing. I can't blame this on the hotel since they have such a vast demographic of people staying so the environment surely changes day to day. When we were there, the crowd at the pool consisted of 30-50 year olds getting drunk and rowdy at the pool. Another huge issue was finding a spot or a vacant spot on the sun-loungers. Every single beach bed would be staked out and marked with a towel. We are very early risers, getting out of the room at 6AM and heading to breakfast, and even during that time I would stroll through the pool and 80% of the sun loungers would already be marked with towels, people claiming their territory at 6AM and actually getting there at 1PM expecting those spots to still be "their's". Completely ridiculous. The hotel really needs to develop some kind of system to keep track of who's actually there and who isn't.

So besides the two downfalls, we had an amazing time overall and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Do not get a garden view room you will be staring at bushes!
3  Thank lola l

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us part of your Paradisus experience and for highlighting the warm service you received from our attentive staff, special mention to Carlos at Naos restaurant, who showed serious commitment to satisfy your needs.

We are pleased to read you think the resort has a lot of activities, delicious food and beverages variety for all tastes, always showing authentic interest on details in all areas.

Regarding sunbeds reservations, we have a program with our security department and waiters to keep the belongings left on sunbeds for more than 45 minutes to leave it free for other guests. We will reinforce this procedure to our personal.

It was a pleasure for us to be your host hotel at the Mexican Caribbean and we will be pleased if you decide to come back to stay with is in the future.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We were part of a very large corporate group! The weather was rainy but we still had a great time. Just be prepared to not get the drink you ordered at the bar- it was always a surprise if you ordered a mixed drink what it would be. Even if you say just another of whatever you just made me it would come out completely different. Frozen drinks came out over ice and on the rocks drinks came out frozen! But we just laughed it off after all your not paying for each drink so just order another one if you don't like it! Gorgeous clean resort!

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us a little part of your Paradisus experience.

Your notes were sent to our Bars manager in order to review the recipes and train our bartenders to follow our standards.

We are pleased to read that our immaculate facilities captivated you and that you had an amazing overall holiday by the Caribbean.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

From the minute you arrive you are treated like royalty. We stayed in the Royal Service area and would agree with other reviewers, that is a must! We didn't take advantage of the Butler but the private pool/beach area is worth it all on its own. Arturo was the best! He was very attentive and made sure our needs were fulfilled, even on an extremely busy day. I would say he was the #1 employee we interacted with! The food was awesome. Whether it was a burrito by the pool or sushi. The beach is not as bad as some reviewers have said. Yes, its not huge but it serves its purpose. The water is the beautiful blue color you expect. The one complaint I would have is the music and lack of nightlife. Sitting by the pool I felt like I was listening to elevator music. I would've liked some regional music playing. It was like I was sitting by a pool in the states. The nightlife was lacking in my opinion. We danced in a club one night but it was all American music. I'm in Mexico I don't really want to dance to Pitbull and Britney! The day we left they were having a Latin band but it was a little late for us. We were there for 4 days. Overall, I would highly recommend this resort and would go back in a second! As long as Arturo was there to 'help' us. :)

Room Tip: Royal Service. Get a room on the 3rd floor so you don't have a glass balcony, its concrete. A...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your experience at Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service, highlighting the elements you enjoyed the most, like the comfort in your room, delicious meals at our restaurants and warm service.

We are proud to have employees like Arturo, always smiling, caring and focused on every guest need. We will let him know about your recognition to his job and we are sure it will encourage him to continue providing an outstanding service.

Please be sure that your suggestions about music and night entertainment will be taken under consideration.

We appreciate your notes and please honor us again with your presence in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2013

Paradisus is a grand resort, with lots of activities, good food, and lovely rooms. But what made it special was the service I received when a the Spa. The pre-massage service b Juan was outstanding, and then the massage by Miguel Angel was truly incredible. He did the hot stone massage with moderate pressure and his style combining the delicate mess of his hands with the firmness of his fingers along with his massage style was. Very well done. If you go this resort and choose to use the spa, be sure to ask for these two!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Dear guest,

We are so pleased to read that you experience at out Yhi Spa was the one that marked your vacations. We have sent your notes to the Spa Manager, who will transfer your words to Juan and Miguel Angel for the extraordinary service provided.

Receive attentive regards from Playa del Carmen, where all of us will be waiting for your prompt return.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

My friends and I had a wonderful time at this resort. We had a wonderful butler, Alan. He and the other staff members were endlessly courteous, helpful, and friendly. The hotel property was beautiful and well maintained. The restaurants and bars were excellent. We enjoyed the varying cuisines. Being from NYC we are spoiled with top notch cuisines from around the world...all of us agreed that the Mediterranean cuisine surpassed some of our favorite NYC Mediterranean restaurants. The best part...we did not encounter a single child the entire time. My only disappointment, and it is minor, was that the coral off the beach made it difficult to get out and swim in the ocean. If I had known, I would have packed my water socks. I would definitely return to this paradisus resort and will continue to visit other paradisus resorts.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

We feel content to know that after your first Paradisus experience you are willing to come back to Paradisus Playa del Carmen or to other brother resorts as our concept surpassed your expectations in different subjects, such as the food quality offered as part of our LUXEclusive plan and the warm service provided by our staff members.

Please let us know in advance about your future stay with us.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

We have just returned from our second visit to this wonderful resort, having spent two weeks there in January last year. Besides the beautiful room and lovely surroundings, there were so many people who made our stay so memorable. The Royal Service team and our butlers were outstanding and could never do enough for us. A special thanks to Eva, Alma, Karen, Luis, Alan and Louisa for everything they did to make our holiday so special. Arturo, Fernando and Juan at the Royal Service pool were rushed off their feet, but always took the time to help and provide brilliant poolside service. The friendly staff at La Palapa got to know us very well after two weeks as we had breakfast and lunch there every day. For us, upgrading to Royal Service was definitely worth it. Breakfast and lunch in La Palapa, the quieter pool area and the additional service we received made it extra special! A very important part of our holiday is the quality of the food and drink and one of the reasons we decided to return to La Perla this year was the fact that we were so impressed last year. Max and his team of chefs, Pierre the manager and all the staff at Passion, where we had two extraordinary meals, were truly brilliant. We will remember our evenings there for a long time. The quality and presentation of the food was outstanding and the service superb. We also loved the food and service at Vento, and a special thanks to Raul the manager who together with his chefs went out of their way to make our evenings there unforgettable. The hostesses and staff at Fuego, Mole and Bana and also bar staff at the M Bar, Blue Agave and South Avenue bar were excellent and always gave us a very warm welcome. They even remembered our favourite drinks after a few days. Overall, the quality of the food and drinks in this resort is excellent - far better than other similar resorts we have visited. We are always wary of buffets, but with the choice of a-la-carte restaurants in this resort – there really was no need to have a single buffet meal in the two weeks we were there. We did not take part in many of the activities on offer but what we saw of the evening entertainment was very good and I really did enjoy the afternoon yoga classes in the gazebo as the sun was setting. Elizabeth, the yoga teacher was excellent. The hotel was very full while we were there and there were several large groups coming and going – but this hotel is so spacious that even though they were just about at full capacity – it really did not feel like it. No matter how busy they were, the staff always provided excellent service and made everyone feel special. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

1  Thank 123Willow456

Dear guest,

We are pleased to read you are a frequent Paradisus traveler with your second visit in this year! Thank you very much for your preference and for taking the time to recommend our resort to future visitors.

Your recognition to the service received by Eva, Alma, Luisa, Karen, Luis, Alan, Arturo, Fernando, Juan, Max, and Raul will be sent to their supervisors in order to motivate them to continue pampering all our guests, the way they did it with you this occasion.

We appreciate your loyalty to our Paradise at Playa del Carmen and remember: this is your home away from home.