“Great hotel and superior service!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #19 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Great hotel and superior service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed at Royal Service and I would recommend it to anyone. We stayed at La Perla and everything was great. Special gratitude for great drinks and service at Royal Service pool bar provided by Mario and Diego, Arturo was great too at providing excellent service for any daily needs. All restaurants are great, special thanks to Victoria from Fuego for being very pleasant and attentive. Passion restaurant was exceptional in terms of very unique service and unique food presentation and preparation as well.
Beach was rocky and with seaweed but we love pools more than beach so heated Royal Service pool was great enough.
Would come back with kids, but we have three and this hotel doesn't allow five in one room.

Room Tip: We stayed on 3rd floor, which is highest, at Royal Service section with partial ocean view and every...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear guest,

First of all we want to thank you for selecting Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service for your recent vacations and for taking the time to describe and specify the areas that you enjoyed the most.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed the food quality and variety in most of our restaurants, the facilities and the attentive service provided by Victoria, Mario, Diego and Arturo. All of them will be informed about your kind words expressing they were your favorite employees from the whole trip.

It would be a pleasure for us if you come back to live again the Paradisus experience.

Quality Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,776)
  • Hebrew first
new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

From the moment we arrived at the Paradisus (La Perla) we were treated like kings.

Being a same sex couple you know as well as I do it sometimes is uncomfortable when checking in. We were treated like two kings with the help of our Royal Service Butler Karen Tamer.

Little did we know that would be the trend here. I cannot say a single negative word about this beautiful place. The room and its attendants were perfect. The service and food at every restaurant was far beyond 5 stars.
The pool attendants Diego, Mario, Armondo were without a doubt the best I have ever experienced.
If you find such Paradise you will be lucky.....

Room Tip: just get the Royal Service 1099 swim up was all we could have wanted and remember ask for karen
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mcconneyr
Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us you found a relaxing and pleasant ambiance to have a marvelous vacations along with you significant one at Paradisus La Perla.

Your recognition to the outstanding service provided by Karen as your butler will be sent to her supervisor in order to congratulate her for her effort to satisfy your needs. We will do the same about Diego, Mario and Armando.

If you consider coming back to Playa del Carmen, please think about Paradisus. We will be waiting for your return.

East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed at the resort as part of a large corporate event. The staff was great and resort was clean. Unfortunately my wife and I were affected by an illness that affected over 60 people in the group. The illness was so bad that my wife did not leave her room for a day and a half. I am assumung this was a food issue During this same time we noticed that a large Koi pond surrounding the property experienced a problem. I looked in and saw hundreds of dead floating fish. Not the way I would have liked to remember the place, but the room and pool were nice and clean.
The ocean is small and wear sandals when going in as the coral will affect your footing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Howard W
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to express our appreciation for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Paradisus La Perla.

It is great to read that you could enjoy all the attributes regarding our facilities, service and the resort concept in general.

We are sorry to read suffered an stomach disease. Paradisus is committed to serve high quality food at all restaurants and snack bars; this involves safety, hygiene and proper food handling, due these practices we obtained a certification in food and beverage hygiene control. Be sure that your notes have been sent to the manager in order to improve and reinforce some important topics during our training courses. We value all our guests´ observations.

It would be fantastic for us to receive you again for your future Playa del Carmen vacations.

Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

A group of 8 of us just returned from Paradisus from the week of March 2-8 and LOVED it. After reading some negative reviews, I was a little concerned, but have no hesitations in booking this resort.
The rooms were awesome. Very clean, with excellent showers and large tub. There was ample room and the balcony was great--we stayed in a 2nd floor (#1153) overlooking the pool. As far as the swim-up suites, I did not see anyone using them (the water was a little cold) so I don't really think I would recommend it.
We did not do Royal Service Side-- as it was, we had GREAT service. Want to mention Ivan, Reyes, and Bianca at the Hadar breakfast every morning; and Marisol (Marty!) at the beach. She went above and beyond for us on the beach.
I will also say we had no problems getting reservations for a group of 8 most nights at the restuarants. I would highly recommend Bana, the Japanese/teppanaki style restaurant, that was our favorite. All the food was great, the Grill was another favorite and for lunch too. Salad bar was fantastic.
There are a lot of bad reviews for the beach... which we did not find to be the case at all! Granted, it is a bit smaller from back to front, but we were still able to have plenty of room for our group. The walk out is a bit rocky , but no bother to us.
Overall, it was an awesome stay . It is a nice, newer resort with good location to Playa Del Carmen. Would highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Martha B
Dear guest,

Let us state that we are completely proud of the attentive and caring staff that we have at the resort. As you experienced and is mentioned in all the reviews from other travelers, the service provided by the personnel is what they really treasure from the whole experience. Of course that the entire ambiance, meals, beverages, facilities, pools and other aspects are also important, but the service is always highlighted.

We are pleased to read you had a great vacation with us and we will be happy to host you again at Paradisus la Perla.

Dallas, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I'll start by saying I don't write negative reviews. Additionally, I really don't like doing this.

We booked 4 nights at Paradisus La Perla in a Royal Service Jr. Suite - Ocean View. I looked for the best room the hotel had regardless of price, with the exception of swim up due to privacy and the view. When we arrived we were told that they "upgraded" us to a one bedroom suite, but it was not in the Royal Service building of the hotel. We were told that we could still use the Royal Service facilites.

I was upset, but open-minded. They took us to the room several hundred yards away from the Royal Service section and we inspected it. Although the view was nice, the room did not have the same appearance and furnishings as the room we paid for. The furniture was not as nice, hot tub on the balcony was not working, and the pool below was not heated like in the Royal Service section.

They showed us a couple of other rooms, but they were not ocean view. Frankly, by this point I was so upset by the way that management had lied to us I had enough. I asked to have the hotel General Manager call me in the room, which he did. He was rude and continued to lie to me. He then told me he would see if we could move to the room we had paid for the next day.

He said he would check and call me back within two minutes. Twenty minutes later - no call back and I was finished wasting my valuable vacation time. I called the Fairmont Mayakoba and booked a room where I knew I would be taken care of.

I told the manager of Royal Service (not the one that didn't call me back) that we were leaving. We had been at the hotel for no more than 2 hours. I was more than fair in saying that I would pay for that night, but I just wanted to go - I was not going to let it ruin my vacation. They agreed to refund all but one night and I was on my way.

I arrived back from vacation and no refund had been given. I called the booking company and they saw the hotel noted in the file that we had stayed one complete night and then left. They were charging us for 2 nights, both breaking their agreement AND lying to me once again.

The hotel did look fairly nice, but the ineptitude of the management and rudeness would prevent me from reccomending this hotel to my worst enemy.

I know there is a chance that they will respond saying they tried to take care of me, but they did not. Offering alternitive rooms that were lesser accomodations than what I paid for is not taking care of a guest. A rude General Manager that lies and does not follow up as promised is not taking care of guests. Saying you will refund a certain amount and then lying to the booking company is not taking care of guests.

What a miserable experience. Never again will I stay at a Melia property.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Norm G
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear guest,

Please accept our most sincere apology for the inconveniences you experience with us during your arrival process. We understand completely your disagreement about the assigned one bedroom Suite, as it wasn’t what you were expecting for. We want to take this opportunity to clarify that our one bedroom suites and one bedroom master suites are the highest room categories offered at the property. As you stated, the Royal Service building does not have that kind of suites and even though your one bedroom suite was apart from the main Royal service building, you were going to enjoy all the benefits in a superior room category.

The impression you currently have about our service absolutely is not representative of our service philosophy and we are really sorry that you left the property with that image about us.

Your notes were sent to our reservations department and will check about the pending refund.
We are pleased to know that at the end you have a pleasant stay in Playa del Carmen.

Receive warm regards from Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

Le boyfriend and I were here from the week of feb. 10 - feb 17. My travel agent initially emailed the manager and requested for a higher floor room with partial ocean views, but when we got there they instead had put us in a luxury junior suite on the ground floor with a garden view- basically a view of the bushes... We then requested for a different room and apparently all the rooms are booked but they said they would notify us if anything became available. After getting settled in our room the front desk called us and they upgraded us to a one bedroom master suite on the third floor with a view of the pool! This was really awesome. The one bedroom master suite also has a private jacuzzi on the balcony which we really enjoyed using. The only downside was that there were two double/queen size beds in the bedroom, but they were more than happy to push the two beds together creating a california king size bed.

The food is pretty decent for a all inclusive (mind you i'm a very picky eater). The drinks are so-so depending on who's making it and which restaurant/bar you are ordering from. The number one thing that stood out from this resort aside from the modern decor is the service and cleanliness! The beds are surprisingly extremely comfortable! We have a therapedic at home and I did not think I would be able to sleep a wink on a different bed, boy was I wrong. Another good tip is that if you don't want your sheets to be cleaned using starch (this is some old school way that the hotels like to clean their bed sheets, they add starch to allow for a 'crisp' finish) which causes very hard feeling sheets you can request for them to do without. The resort itself is pretty big and honestly I have no idea how they manage to keep it so clean. The people they employ are always doing something, no lazy employees standing around. Service is immaculate, and you never feel like you are expected to tip.

One example of the outstanding service was our experience was when we had lunch at Naos. My bf was craving tacos and the buffet had everything but tacos, like many other reviewers have stated the resort does not offer traditional mexican fare. My bf asked our waitor Carlos if there were tacos available and he said no, but he quickly offered to ask the kitchen to make them for us. Ten minutes later he returned with our tacos fresh from the kitchen. If this were any other resort, that question would be answered with a 'no' and a shrug. But at the Paradisus, not a single one of our requests were refused or denied this is world class service.

The only downside of the resort is the beach and the pool service. The beach is very rocky and narrow and full of seaweed especially if the last few days have been windy. You will also see your fair share of moms in thongs on the beach, i'm assuming that crowd is from the la esmeralda side. If you are a beach person and are planning to spend the whole time on the beach, you will be disappointed.

Aside from the less than desired beach the pool was also another problem for us. We were looking for a more relaxing environment, no loud music or loud people drinking the day away, mind you we are a young couple and probably the youngest people staying at the resort during this time. If we wanted to be the life of the party surely we would have booked at one of the hotels in Cancun. The crowd at the hotel during this time was anything but calm and relaxing. I can't blame this on the hotel since they have such a vast demographic of people staying so the environment surely changes day to day. When we were there, the crowd at the pool consisted of 30-50 year olds getting drunk and rowdy at the pool. Another huge issue was finding a spot or a vacant spot on the sun-loungers. Every single beach bed would be staked out and marked with a towel. We are very early risers, getting out of the room at 6AM and heading to breakfast, and even during that time I would stroll through the pool and 80% of the sun loungers would already be marked with towels, people claiming their territory at 6AM and actually getting there at 1PM expecting those spots to still be "their's". Completely ridiculous. The hotel really needs to develop some kind of system to keep track of who's actually there and who isn't.

So besides the two downfalls, we had an amazing time overall and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Do not get a garden view room you will be staring at bushes!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lola l
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us part of your Paradisus experience and for highlighting the warm service you received from our attentive staff, special mention to Carlos at Naos restaurant, who showed serious commitment to satisfy your needs.

We are pleased to read you think the resort has a lot of activities, delicious food and beverages variety for all tastes, always showing authentic interest on details in all areas.

Regarding sunbeds reservations, we have a program with our security department and waiters to keep the belongings left on sunbeds for more than 45 minutes to leave it free for other guests. We will reinforce this procedure to our personal.

It was a pleasure for us to be your host hotel at the Mexican Caribbean and we will be pleased if you decide to come back to stay with is in the future.

Pottstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

We were part of a very large corporate group! The weather was rainy but we still had a great time. Just be prepared to not get the drink you ordered at the bar- it was always a surprise if you ordered a mixed drink what it would be. Even if you say just another of whatever you just made me it would come out completely different. Frozen drinks came out over ice and on the rocks drinks came out frozen! But we just laughed it off after all your not paying for each drink so just order another one if you don't like it! Gorgeous clean resort!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us a little part of your Paradisus experience.

Your notes were sent to our Bars manager in order to review the recipes and train our bartenders to follow our standards.

We are pleased to read that our immaculate facilities captivated you and that you had an amazing overall holiday by the Caribbean.