“What a beautiful resort, no ocean views”

Ranked #19 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coral Springs, Florida
“What a beautiful resort, no ocean views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

La Perla is a wonderful resort for adults, children are very strictly not allowed. There is a connecting resort called Esmeralda. It is all inclusive with meals and the bars included. If you want to have upgraded meals and wines that is available. There is one restaurant that has an upcharge of $50 per person. Stayed there for 8 nights. Ate at most of the restaurants. I was very impressed with the food at the resort. There are 2 buffet restaurants. One is for adults only and the other is for families. The food is similar if not identical. Usually if one is open the other is closed. So there are times that the guests will co-mingle. Usually La Perla guests dining in the family restaurants. The pools are very pretty and they have lots of cabana type beds to occupy. The Beach is narrow but very pretty and you can go for very long walks. The water is clean and absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are very nice. Double showers with a bench in them. The toiletries are terrific. They are Thierry Mugler brand. Smell amazing and even the public area hand soap is from the same designer. There is a big tub in the room and the upgraded rooms have a tub on the balcony. They also offer "swim up" suites. They are rooms that have a set of stairs down to a semi private swimming pool and direct access to the pool area. I stayed in a room without a view but looked at a number of rooms with views. Overall the resort is beautiful. The rooms are clean and nice. They smell a bit musty because it is so humid in mexico. The floors are slippery in some areas so be careful of the stairs. Had a wonderful massage in the spa.

Room Tip: If you request a room with 2 double beds, the hotel will sometimes upgrade you to a suite. The stan...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank alohatravelgirl
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your Paradisus La Perla experience.

It is good to know your overall experience was terrific while you enjoyed the facilities, the pool area, the quality food at our variety of restaurants and had a wonderful massage at the Yhi Spa.

We appreciate your recommendation to future visitors to stay at Paradisus, whether at La Esmeralda for families or La Perla just for adults. Everyone finds what they are looking for in Paradisus.

We will be pleased to host you again in the near future.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,812)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed from October 16th to 23rd to celebrate my bf's birthday. First off, I want to say that the resort itself was amazing. The entire property was really beautiful and well designed. The only downfall is the beach kind of being on the small side. We went during low season but I could see how people wouldn't have a place to relax on the beach if it was a different time of the year.
We asked for a room on the top floor and they exceeded our expectations. They gave us a master suite which over looked the pools and allowed for a view of the ocean and it had a private outdoor jacuzzi on the balcony! The majority of the staff were amazing but people that really stood out was Manuel at Feugo, he was one of the reasons why we wanted to eat there again. The food at Feugo was amazing; I loved the ceviche there. The food at every single a la carte restaurant we went to was great. We just wanted to not stick with a schedule the first night we got there and had the buffet for dinner and it was not good at all so I would advise to stay away from the dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet at hadar was good but not as good as the Barcelo Palace. For lunch, we ate at the Market a few times and it was alright but not great. Our concierge, Juan Carlos went above and beyond for us.
So why the four star review? Even though there were a lot of positives, there were a few do betters... I wanted to surprise my bf when we got back to the room with dessert and a bottle of wine. I told Juan Carlos I didn’t mind paying extra for that. He said no problem, that it would be done but when we got back to the room, there was no wine. Passions restaurant didn’t know how to work a chip card even though they had a chip enabled machine. It was really embarssing and uncomfortable to have to sit there and wait for my bf to go all the way back up to the room to get cash to pay the bill. They said that my card was declined when in fact, they didn’t know how to work the chip technology card. The hostess told us at the beginning of dinner that a 18% tip was given if we liked the food and service. When the bill came, it looks like we were not given a choice. Of course we were going to give more than 18% but I don’t like being told how much to tip. My bf’s hair wasn’t cut properly for a spa that charged as much as they do back home (we live in Vancouver, one of the top 3 most expensive places in the world) and they can’t get a basic cut right? Well it was fixed by another stylist but it left a sour taste in my bf’s mouth. While I waited on the lounge chair, I was bitten at least 4 times by bugs and I still had bruises on my lower back to show for it weeks after we got back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions with us and we want you to know that we take our guests´ comments very seriously, this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might have not paid the attention they deserve.

Regarding your comments about Concierge service, Passion restaurant and hair cut service at the Spa, please rest assured that will be addressed with our management in order to improve and take corrective actions to give an exceptional service.

On the other part, it is pleasant to read that you could enjoy your master suite and the amazing food at our Fuego restaurant and of course the attentive service provided by Manuel, he will be delighted to hear that he contributed to your stay.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope on keep counting with your preference.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We have just returned from 10 days at Paradisus la Perla as part of our honeymoon. The hotel is excellent all round with huge rooms, relaxing pool and beach and great food. The biggest thing that stands out though is the service from all the staff as they couldn't do enough for you. We ate in all the restaurants and arranged reservations on our first night with the very helpful Tomas. We were impressed with everyone but a special mention to Alejandro at the Hadar restaurant who served us breakfast nearly every morning and remembered our names and was generally really friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Towards the end of our holiday we had a few problems with our transfers (through no fault of the hotel) but Denys went out of his way to help us and sort everything out. Overall this is an excellent hotel and would recommend to everyone.

1 Thank Brett G
Dear guest,

We would like to extend you our gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your honeymoon, and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the comfort of your suite, had a relaxing time at the pool and beach and felt pampered by the attentive service provided by Tomas, Alejandro Denys. They will be informed about your kind words expressing they were your favorite employees from the whole trip.

Please consider to stay again in Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla next year in your anniversary!

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I have stayed at 7 all-inclusives in 3 different countries, with hotel chains such as Iberostar, Riu, Palace Resorts, etc... Not all resorts are created equally and, although I didn't have a bad experience at this resort at all, they just do things differently, I am used to the more personal one on one experience that I have experienced at other resorts with a more guest involved sports and entertainment staff. This is my first experience with a Melia brand resort. I stayed at this property for 4 nights with my Mom, who has NEVER been anywhere from April 3 - 7. We stayed in the basic catagory room, which was very nice, comfortable bed, huge bathtub, awesome dual shower and very spacious. The property is beautiful, everything is very clean and, well maintained, the food is delicious in the restaurants we ate at which were, Bana, Mole, The Market and, Hadar. The Sunset Pool side grill's food was just average at best. The service of the servers at all the restaurants, bars, beach and, throughout the property were mostly exceptional and, I would like to give a shout out to a couple servers who stood out, Franklin at Hadar for breakfast buffet on more than one occassion, Carlos for the beach service on more than one occassion and, we also had a wonderful server at Mole who unfortunately, I am unable to remember his name at the moment. The rooms are beautiful and modern, the "Fish tank" above the bed is just a lighted a picture, despite how real it appears. The balconies are a good size. You do only get beer, soft drinks and water in the mini fridge and they only provide the snacks of 1 bag of potato chips and a package or oreos per day. Turn down service with a Hershey's kiss for eachperson each night. Coffee is also provided in the room. A lot of upscale All inclusives have liquor dispensors or small bottles of liquor in the room but, not here. You need a higher floor to see any glimpse of the ocean off in the distance because, between the resort and the beach is a large patch of forest. The internet is unstable by some restaurants and bars but, mostly worked well in the room. You can not see the beach from any restaurant or pool on the La Perla side of the property, (not sure about the other side) which is very disappointing. The large patch of forest has a bridge that goes through it to access the beach and, there are signs that there may be crocodiles living in this patch of forest and, they are protected animals which I imagine is why the hotel doesn't plow it down so, that you have a great beach/ocean view. We didn't upgrade to the better Royal service and, we really didn't miss it but, I would have thouroughly enjoyed a swim up suite and, would highly recommend it if you like to have the privacy and easy access to the pool. We met a couple who paid to eat at "Passions" restaurant and they said it wasn't worth it at all. The beach is very narrow and finidng a shaded area is a challenge at both the beach and the pool but, very it's a very long stretch of beach if you like to stroll the beach. Unfortunately, the waves are extrememly strong, not calm water at all (at least not in April) there is a lot of seaweed in the water that gets tangled around your feet and legs, didn't really see it wash up on the beach that much and, there are very small sections where you can actually walk into the ocean without the danger of hurting yourself on sharp rocks and coral. There is a lifegaurd that warns you where the safe areas to walk into the ocean are. This hotel is surrounded by a residential area so, in the neighborhood you are surrounded by local Mexican housing which is a little unattractive when you pull up to the hotel but, once inside the hotel you never notice any of it again until it's time to leave. The beach is public so, there are locals up and down the beach all day with their families, most of them leave the tourists alone but, some are up and down the beach all day long trying to sell things like food, jewelry, cigars...etc...I wasn't really bothered by this at all. Most of the restaurants are and, nightly entertainment are on the family side of the property, which makes for long walks back and fourth, it is handicap accessible if that is a concern because there were ramps and no stairs throughout the property unless you want to use stairs to get to your room on a higher floor instead of the elevator. Regarding the entertainment at the property - I was disappointed that the sports and entertainment staff was basically non existant, I am used to other resorts where they get to know you, use your name, make you feel like a VIP, inform you and, involve you with every activity going on, make you aware of the evening's entertainment is going to be and where it is going to be located. This is lacking here. I couldn't tell you the name of one single sports and entertainment staff memeber. It was very confusing what shows were going to be where, they give you a list and I am sure they post somewhere in the hotel but, they didn't stick to it 100% so, it's a little challange every night.

A few things that really upset me about the experience I had which I feel need to be mentioned and, I really, really hope are isolated incidents. Before I arrived I informed the hotel that we were celebrating my Mother's birthday. Almost every other all inclusive I have stayed at in the past had left a special design or decoration with the towels and flowers which made you feel that you were being acknowledged, this hotel never went above the standard housekeeping and turn down services. I even left housekeeping tips each day in the hopes that something "special" would be done. One evening while we were getting ready to go to dinner a staff memeber came to door advised that she wanted to do something special in the room for us but, would come back later. She never did.

One night there was a domestic dispute between a couple at midnight nearby our room in where the male guest was in a rage of anger screaming, yelling and, using profanity towards either their travelling companion or someone they were on the phone with, stomping and pacing back and fourth and making everything echo throughout the building. This went on for over an hour before security showed up. We never heard them addressing the situation with the guest directly, we just heard them with the walkie-talkies outside our room. After 1 AM this diruption started up by the guest once again for about 15 more minutes with the stomping, screaming, door slaming etc. This was a very uncomfortable situation and, gave us a very restless night. Don't know what ever happened but, it doesn't appear that the guest was moved or asked to leave.

One day I tried to make reservations for the following night's dinner at the Japanese Habatchi restaurant Bana. I called and, advised them that I was trying to make reservations for the following night, they advised me I have to dial "0" which was what I originally dialed before I was transferred. Dialed "0" again and, once I explained what I wanted to do, they transferred me again, once transferred I explained once again that was trying to make reservation for the following evening, I was told again to dial "0" after back and fourth with this a few times, I was finally fed up and said, "I am tired of being transferred back and fourth, I want to make reservation right now!" So, they took my reservation. The next day it dawned on me that they never asked me if I wanted the Habatchi or the regular seating so, I stopped at the reservations desk and, they checked my reservations and told me it was for the regular seating, I was upset being that they never even asked me which I was interested in and the staff member at the reservations desk didn't offer to get it fixed for me either she told me that I should just try and get it once I check in for dinner. I was lucky that when we went to dinner they had two more seats available for the habatchi that was just getting started. It was a great experience, the chef put on a great show and, I thouroughly enjoyed the food.

Final upsetting situation - the night before check out a staff member called to reconfirm our check out and, if we wanted assistance with the baggage, we accepted and made arrangements for the baggage to be picked up at 11:45 AM. We made sure we had breakfast, took some last minute pictures and, were in the room before 11:45 AM. At about noon we were still waiting, called down to the desk to request that someone come get the baggage and, that we needed to check out. Another 20 minutes later we were still waiting and called down again, another 30 minutes we had to call again and, finally after 1 hr and 30 minutes of waiting we called down very upset that we had been waiting to check out all this time. Finally someone came for the bags, didn't bother showing us back to the main lobby, you really only see the main lobby once when you arrive so, finding your way back on your own was a little challenging. While I was waiting to check out someone asked me how I was and, I was honest and told them I was upset and, that if I had been flying home after check out, I would have missed my flight due to the 1 hr and 30 mins that it took for someone to come for our bags. I got no apology, no "we hope you enjoyed your stay" Nothing at all, which I feel was very unprofessional.

As I stated before, I hope these are isolated incidents.

All in all, the resort is amazing, no expense is spared in the decor, the service staff will do anything to make something right if it isn't, the food is amazing. If these are the things that are most important to you than, this is the perfect resort for you. If beach access and, lots of activities and entertainment are important to you, you may want to either stay somewhere else that has better options or keep a list handy of the daily activities and nightly entertainment.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mbrucato
Dear Guest,

First, thank you for detailed review of your stay at Paradisus and for letting us know your opinion about some aspects we have to work on.

We are sorry to read we were not able to surpass your expectations regarding entertainment activities and Guest Service. We really appreciate the details you described because that way the managers from the involved areas , will know exactly where to focus and take the corrective necessary measures, especially in the attentiveness and warmth of the personnel.

On the other hand, it is pleasant for us to know that you enjoyed the facilities in general and the delicious food at some of our restaurants ; and that you appreciated the attentive service of our staff. Especially the one provided by Franklin and Carlos, we will gladly pass on your compliments to them and we are sure that your notes will motivate them to continue with their great work.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I hope you would be willing to give us a second chance to give you the experience you deserve.

El Dorado, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is beautiful, clean, entertainment is awesome, pools are very nice, all the guest were friendly and the staff and workers went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. Food and service were delicious in all the restaurants. Beds were comfortable and rooms were gorgeous. I fell down the stairs and hotel staff member Berenice found me, stayed with me, very compassionate, caring young lady during and after. She had a lifeguard(Emmanuel) & Dr. Jose Diaz-Ordaz Castillo there in ten minutes and they had ice, it splinted and in and out of Mexico hospital casted in two hours. My friend Tina also stayed with me the whole time. I can never repay what they did for me that day I was hurt, scared and in a different country and they kept me calm.
Special thanks to spa makeup & hairstylist Jalisa who did amazing so much I cried. Buffett staff who went above and beyond Alejandro,Antonio,Santos,Nancy,Ignacio,Guadalupe. Jose at the beach. Thanks for all great memories!!!!

Room Tip: Pool view rooms with the great big tub inside is awesome and the rooms with your own swim up pool is...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for staying at our hotel and provided us the privilege to serve you.

We are sorry that you had this mishap during your holidays and we are proud that our attentive staff took care of you and made lessening this difficult time.

As well we appreciate your recognition for the great service provided by our staff members at the Yhi Spa, the buffet restaurant and the beach area. Be sure that all of them will be advised about your kind works in order to motivate them to continue pampering all of our guests the same way they did it with you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience in Trip Advisor and we will be waiting for your prompt return.

Playa Del Carmen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Amazing hotel with amazing facilities, beach, pool, restaurants and staff.
We stayed for 5 days at the hotel and it was just an amazing place!
We would recommend to everyone especially La Perla as it's adults only

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review from your last stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla (adults only).

It makes us really proud that you were able to have such wonderful stay, and you received outstanding service that is to be expected of the Meliá brand.

Thanks again for your recommendation and we look forward to your return.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Paradisus is a beautiful property that is managed with excellence. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the food was amazing. Most notable was the friendly and helpful nature of the staff. Every staff member was exceptional. Rafael at the Noas restaurant went above and beyond to make our stay special - even going so far as to personally brew my favorite aguas frescas, horchata, as response to an off hand request. This gesture made my trip. Other staff members who provided exceptional service were Reyes (providing exceptional service on the beach) and Antonio (providing excellent service at Haydar. Thanks to all for a wonderful trip.

Few tips- if you walk three minutes north of the Royal service beach access there is a very nice lagoon-shallow and good for a wade. About ten minutes north there is ocean access that is completely free of rock to about forty yards out. Great for a swim.

1 Thank Rodneyroy
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

We feel proud to learn you have had a great stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla and that our service went beyond your expectations, we are glad to know the service provided by Rafael, Reyes and Antonio was excellent and personalized, always focused on your total satisfaction.

We appreciate your words, and please honor us with your presence in a future stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,603 reviews
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#29 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,883 reviews
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#46 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,181 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!