“great experience”

Ranked #21 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I appreciated all of the attention I was given for the wonderful experience of my 4 night stay traveling alone at La Perla! ..Special thank you to Julie at the front desk, Ambar from guest services and Roger in Bana. The restaurants have interesting and delicious choices and the spa was wonderful!

Room Tip: Ocean view may only be a partial view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear guest,

We feel proud to learn you have had a great experience at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla and that our LUXExclusive plan and service went beyond your expectations, especially the service provided by Julie, Ambar and Roger, that was excellent and personalized, always focused on your total satisfaction.

Thank you for your valuable review, and remember we will be pleased if you honor us again with your presence at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla

Write a ReviewReviews (9,303)

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We just left the hotel and We are sad to leave the hotel is beautiful the service is the best and the food five starts we travel a lot and by far this is the best hotel all inclusive and we try many hotels in Cancun and playa del Carmen.
Go you won't regretted is perfect!

Room Tip: We didn't get the royal services and I don't think we miss a lot because you can go to all t...
2  Thank Blanca P

Dear guest,

It is pleasant to read we surpassed your expectations and were delighted by LUXEclusive plan, in which you just have to focus on living the experience and enjoying our “Pure Freedom” philosophy.

It would be an honor for us to receive you again at Paradisus: your home at the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Just got back from our honeymoon at the adult only Paradisus Resort. This might be my first ever review but the workers said it means a lot. Normally I don't care, but I felt compelled to give this resort the best possible rating because it was that awesome! The service was top notch and the food on the resort was incredible - I was worried, but very delicious and prepared elegantly.

5 stars!

Room Tip: We had a basic room on an all inclusive - and it was awesome.
3  Thank John B

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for selecting our Resort to celebrate your honeymoon. It is an honor for us to receive your first review on Trip Advisor .This means you really thought it would be worthily to share your experience from your stay at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla with other tourists.

We appreciate your recommendation and we hope you come back to this little piece of paradise by the Mexican Caribbean.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here in December and thoroughly enjoyed every minute, the Royal Service was amazing and worth every penny. The staff can't do enough for you, although our nominated butler did leave a lot to be desired and wasn't very good. We did discuss this with Julia one of the managers who dealt with our concerns fantastically, another member of staff helped us and she was fantastic really good at her job - unfortunately I can't remember her name but Julia sang her praises so I'm sure they know who I'm referring to. The rooms are fantastic and the beds are one of the comfiest and largest I have ever slept in. Passion restaurant is an experience to say the least and well deserved of it's Michelin star rating, definitely worth the surcharge. If I had to be negative about anything it would be the beach and evening entertainment/atmosphere - the beach is a bit of a let down and not what I expected. The private royal service area of the beach is rocky and very narrow so you can't get in the sea here. The atmosphere is very low key almost non existent which was a bit of a shame, the only night where there was any life was a convention that Santander were having and a DJ was on which was great - however a shame that this was put on for the convention and not the paying guests. The food is fantastic particularly in the restaurant exclusive for royal service guests, we ate here most of the time and liked the attentive service. This hotel definitely sets the standards that I will now unfortunately compare against other holidays, and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Go for the royal service if you can, its well worth every penny.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

It is a pleasure for us to receive reviews from our tourists even when they visited us a while. We are proud that you have had a amazing stay at Paradisus. Thank you for your time and for highlight some of the aspects you enjoyed the most like: the fantastic rooms, great restaurants ,especially Passion and La Palapa restaurants and the special amenities and services of being a Royal Service guest. It is really heartwarming that you could appreciate those aspects of our Paradisus brand.

We will be waiting for your return.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Superb in every way ! Excellent staff and facilities .superb choice and quality of meals in the restaurants . Pool area was well maintained and clean with excellent waiter service never needed to leave the sun beds !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank mac-gill-83

Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for staying at our hotel and provide us the privilege to serve you.

We are glad to know you found everything you were looking for at the resort .Of course this means our LUXEclusive plan, beautiful facilities, excellent food and attentive service fitted your expectations.

Thank you again for your kind words and for your preference. It would be fantastic for us to provide you another luxurious getaway!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Even though I planned my wedding in two weeks, I still feel very confident that I made an excellent decision for the venue. The Paradisus grounds are gorgeous. I have stayed at many all inclusive resorts and this place is tied at the top with attention to detail and service with the Valentin Imperial. Every pool area, restaurant, hallway, restroom, etc is beautiful and well maintained. It has a very contemporary vibe and feels very new and clean.

My guests and I each had different types of rooms and they were all very well appointed. We upgraded rooms for a couple of our guests, which ended up doubling the size of their rooms. You don't have to stay in the Preferred section to have a luxurious vacation. We actually stayed in the smallest room of all the rooms we booked and it was still beautiful and well appointed.

I did have a bit of trouble dealing with the home office in the US when planning my wedding, but the onsite staff were all very helpful and eager to make our day special and beautiful. I had very specific requests to be met in a very short time and every detail that I wanted came into fruition.

I was initially disappointed when I learned that I had to use the photographers that are housed onsite or pay an additional fee to use a different photographer. BUT, I am very pleased with our pictures and video. Just use them...even if you aren't getting married.

The food here was hit or miss. I felt that some restaurant options weren't going for substance and were trying too hard to be trendy (in a bad way). We decided to have our rehearsal dinner at the churrasco type restaurants and it was fantastic (and I am not a big fan of that style usually).

If you want to get married ON the beach, then this isn't the resort for you. It really makes more sense to get married on the bridge that goes to the beach (with a view of the beach) so you can have privacy. I was disappointed to learn this after I had already planned on getting married ON the beach...well, planned as much as I could in two weeks. However, I think that the bridge turned out to be a stunning location for our nuptials.

We chose to have our reception on the gazebo because we had a small group of 10. Again, every detail I requested was given and I was 100% pleased with the outcome.

The spa service was not good, but not superior. I think I possibly got every service on the menu and I was never extraordinarily pleased. The spa area was gorgeous.

The beach area is narrow, but long. The water is beautiful and great for swimming. You can also see Cozymel from the beach. Service on the beach was great.

I am giving this resort a 4 out of 5 only because of the issues we had with billing. We paid for our guests rooms in advance. We checked out before them due to a family emergency. When our guests checked out a few hours later, they were also charged. It took quite a bit of communication to get the problem resolved, which was quite frustrating.

Room Tip: Preferred suites are an unnecessary upgrade.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bellalovestotravel

Dear guest,

Thank you for considering Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla to celebrate a special celebration like is your wedding. We gladly receive our guests’ comments describing every detail that made possible an unforgettable experience during their stay and the areas we need to improve to completely fulfill our tourists expectations .That is why we have sent your notes to the managers of the involved areas. Please be sure they will work on those aspects, because all our guests deserve to receive the best service.

On the other hand, it is pleasant to read that you and your guests could enjoy the facilities in general, the comfortable and beautiful suites and the attentive service from our staff members.

We will feel honored if you decide to come back next year in your anniversary and enjoy again of our Paradise!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We traveled to this resort from July 3rd to the 7th and stayed in room 1283 (Royal Service Lounge Building). We paid for Royal Service, and had a partial ocean view junior suite.

First of all I would like to thank our Butler Alma Moreno for making this trip unforgettable. She made this vacation the best we have had.

Now for the review. If you are looking for a party hotel, this is not it. This hotel specializes in TOTAL RELAXATION, and boy do they deliver! If relaxation is what you are looking for (or a romantic escape), then continue reading this review. I will divide up the review between CONS & PROS to make it easier. Also, some reviewers have commented about over-booking. Though this was a concern of ours, we contacted the hotel through email and phone and got a prompt response with a confirmation email & number about our room and selections. Even a confirmation booking for spa services (which turned out to be expensive, but was able to book the spa in advance).

First the CONS. These are the reasons why this property did not receive full 5/5 ratings. However, do not be discouraged and read the entire review as we do recommend this resort for the purpose of relaxation or romantic events.

CONS:
- BEACH: Weird huh? This is a beach front property, and many guests are going to the Riviera Maya area for the beach, then why would the beach be a negative? The beach is filled with rocks and you need water shoes to be able to walk through these rocks. This might be good for snorkeling, but it is not good for just lounging. The beach also has very little property (not much land between the bali beds and the water) and to each side of the resort many of the locals are going from side to side making a lot of noise, thus not allowing you to rest. Might sound harsh, but the whole point of this hotel is relaxation, and the beach is not the spot I would consider the best place to relax. Also, I am a beach person, to me trips to AI hotels are mainly because of the beaches and the beach in this property is not up to par.
I recommend Paradisus La Perla to invest in moving all these rocks and create an outer layer under the sea water. This will serve two purposes; 1) will create a sandy bottom near the shore where guests can lounge and actually use the beach. 2) The rocks located in the outer portion of the beach will break waves and create a calmer beach for guest, reduce erosion, and create the perfect habitat for snorkeling or scuba diving. A win-win for all in my opinion.
The problem of the locals making too much noise, that is a tough one to solve and I do not know how, but the hotel should address this. Unfortunately, people pay to relax, the hotel offers relaxation, therefore there must be a solution for the hotel to address this issue in a legal, politically correct manner.

-Ocean View: They are very literal. When they say ocean view, they mean a view of just the ocean. We had a partial ocean view suite, and it was really partial. We could barely sea the ocean and no sands from the beach. From my perspective there are no rooms in this property with what I am used to when told we will be staying in an ocean view (you can see the ocean and the beach). Ocean view in this property in my opinion is just that, a view of the ocean, do not expect more than that.

-Room Service: Room service is not 24 hours like in other resorts we have been too. We usually are still up around 12 am (not parting but talking and looking at the stars), and sometimes we need some snacks or a late-night dinner. Don't count on calling room service, they close by 11PM. At least for Royal Service guest, the room-service should be made available 24-hours a day.

-SPA: The prices are the negative. I believe the services seem to be good, but the prices are insane. $400+ US dollars for a couples massage? That is too much in our opinion, when we have traveled to Mexico and received the same for about $250 US dollars (and still this would be considered a bit expensive). The spa grounds are very nice, but we opted to do excursions instead.
I would recommend Paradisus to run specials on-site to guests. In my opinion if they ran specials (say 50% off if you book two or more spa services), I believe more guests would use the Spa services.

If you got to this point, keep on reading!

PROS
-Royal Service: For us it was all worth it. YOU ACTUALLY SEE AND TALK TO YOUR BUTLER! We have been to other resorts that say they offer butler service but you barely see them (maybe when you check-in). However, in this property you actually see your assigned butler almost everyday and they look for you during your stay to ensure that your stay is going well. Also they follow-up on any special requests, orders, and any services you have requested. Again, we would like to thank Alma Moreno our butler for making this trip the best. She helped us not only with special requests but also booking some excursions.
They do enforce people that have not paid for the royal services and ask them to leave the royal service area. Also, the bali-beds which are reserved using towels will be cleaned by security and made available to other guests. So be warned, do not reserve bali-beds unless you like to come back to an empty one (or occupied by somebody else). This we consider to be a PRO because some uneducated people reserve the bali-beds early in the morning and leave to an excursion thus not allowing other guests in the property use the bali-beds. Paradisus offers a reserve program for an upcharge. We did use this service (and it was the best), but in our stay it was not necessary as there was always a bali-bed available. The resort felt it was not booked to capacity which is also a plus as services are not stretched thin.

-Pool: Drink services around the royal service pool is the best. You stay on the Bali-beds and the server comes around every 10 minutes to ask if you need anything else. However, if the hotel is completely booked they might be short handed, yet this was not our case and we have nothing but love and enjoyment for the pool-side services. His name is Alfredo, THANK YOU ALFREDO, we miss your happiness and smile.

-Swim-up Suites: Even-though we did not choose this type of room. From what we saw, if you can, try to choose the swim-up from the royal service building you will not regret it. When we return to this property this is the room we will choose. Perfect location with the pool and beach.

-Adults Only: Though other people have said they saw children in the adults only side, we did not see any children. We did see children in the main area/lobby because this area is shared with the Esmeralda side which is a family resort. The restaurants in this main area usually admit children, so be warned. If you do not want to see a single children, do not go to the main area.
In our opinion, having to share the main section was not too bad, but most bars and night time life is located in this area thus if you are a night-time person and do not want to even hear children, this could be a problem. For us it wasn't a problem, as the nights we wanted to be with adults or by ourselves we stayed in the adults only side. We were mentally prepared when going to the main lobby area we would see kids and this did not bother us. The days we did not want to see one child, we went very late to dinner (children usually have dinner by 9PM), and stayed near bars or the lounge on the adult side.

-Relaxation: This is truly a hotel to relax. The ambient music, the modern rooms and outside grounds, the spa, the service, everything is geared towards relaxation. If this is your goal, then this is the place to relax. We left Paradisus feeling in peace with the universe.

-Service: The service personnel are the best. They work hard, always have a smile, they try to make it right if they make a mistake, they always ask “how is your day?” The service is top notch and so far the best we have experienced. Just remember, saying “Hi”, “good morning”, or even a smile goes a long way. Having a grumpy face will not get the results you might be expecting. Keep in mind they work long hours and for little pay.

In summary, we had a good experience, service was the best, the relaxation is awesome, and the property is modern and top notch. We recommend this property to anybody that wants to getaway for relaxation or romantic reasons. The rooms in the Royal Service are modern, kept clean, mini-bar always kept stock with our requests (beers and sodas).
Finally, people seem to forget your are on vacation. BE PATIENT! We some a few people complaining because their food took too long, or to be seated took too long. Listen, if you do not have time to spare, then you are not on vacation. Vacation is about enjoying the moment, forgetting the past, and not worry about the future. At least that is how we look at taking a vacation.

Remember to tip; it does go a long way. Though we did not feel tip was needed, we still tipped our servers because they did work their butts off for us to make our stay enjoyable. By the end of our trip we felt that our tips were working and we did get more attention in the pool service area.

Room Tip: -Try to choose the swim-up rooms they are very private. -If choosing Royal service, request the roo...
6  Thank Jackquito

Dear guest,

First of all thank you for posting a detailed review form your last stay at Paradisus La Playa del Carmen La Perla. We are sure your experience will inspire another tourist to visit us, wiling to have the same feeling form our property.

By your complete review, we can see you have taken advantage of all the benefits and special amenities of being a Royal Service guest, tasted some delightful meals at our restaurants, relaxed completely at our modern facilities; without excluding the warm service that the staff provides every day. We will transfer your comments to Alma and Alfredo, we are sure they will be happy to read your recognition to their service vocation. We are proud to count with employees like them, customer oriented.

On the other part, allow us to inform you that we have a daily cleaning program to remove seaweed and rocks from the beach area, even though it is possible to find coral fragments brought by the waves. Unfortunately we are not allowed to remove all those rocks due it is forbidden by law to remove the coral or sediments where coral grows up, as they are an important part of the ecosystem.Those coral fragments and rocks have gotten the beach as a result of the past hurricanes and storms, unfortunately we cannot have power under nature.
Moreover, sadly, all the conditions affecting our beach and some others in the area are a result of the global warming.

As well, it is a shame that you could not enjoy the Room Service during your vacations, this service is 24hrs and you can ask for it dialing “0” in your room, where our Serviexpress department will take your order. Nevertheless, we will enforce with our staff on order to always give this information to our guests.

Thank you for your wide recommendation to future visitors to live the Paradisus experience by themselves and we wish to have the opportunity to pamper you again in our little piece of Paradise in Playa del Carmen.