Hostel Vive la Vida
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
El Acuario Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
Maranatha(Playa del Carmen)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Hul-Ku(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Mom's Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Hotel Atlantida(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Hotel E-Motions(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Barrio Latino Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Hotel Casa Tucan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
All reviewsstayed a couple of nightsmuchas graciassmall poolenjoyed my staybackpackerslockavenida
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I rarely write negative reviews, but I also feel compelled not to only write about my positive travel experiences. To begin, my partner and I booked a private room. While we were not looking for luxury at a hostel, we were surprised that our private room was actually a dorm room full of empty beds, and we had simply been assigned the double bed bottom bunk. We snuggled down for the evening. I was woken in the middle of the night by itching bites. I went back to sleep, then later I woke up and upon inspection discovered our room was infested with bed bugs.
I had gotten a bite on my eyelid that had swollen so large that I could barely open it. In the morning I went to the hospital, knowing I was having a slight allergic reaction to the bed bug bites. I had showed my bite to the staff and they suggested it was something else, and didn't even comment when I said it was from the bugs in the room. In the end, the staff didn't even acknowledge that they had rented us a room infested with bedbugs. No discounts offered but we got out of there as fast as we could!

I cannot really comment on many aspects of the hostel, as we were there for such a short time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gxqpp
valenthynacarrete, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hostel Vive la Vida, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

Hi! First of all, thanks for your comments. Bed bugs are something that backpackers carry with them sometimes, but it's also a very common problem in hotels and hostels all around the world. The important thing here is to detect them soon, and fumigate as soon as possible. It's not easy to get rid of them, but we are working on it, and we are also changing our wooden beds for metal beds, where it's less common and harder to find this bugs. This far, we have changed the 95% of our wooden beds for metal ones. We're very sorry for the difficulties you found, but we are working hard to fix this issues.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Not a bad hostel, but not an amazing hostel either. Lots of rules to follow... Good location, especially for some of the food places nearby (delicious barbecued chicken, anyone?!), but with a tiny pool and not that good an atmosphere, I'd probable stay somewhere else should I visit the area again. Dorms are fine, but lockers aren't great.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
valenthynacarrete, Public Relations Manager at Hostel Vive la Vida, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thanks for your sharing your opinion. We'll attend your comments in order to satisfy your expectations, so you can enjoy your stay and receive a better service in case you decide to visit us again.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I had a 3-night reservation for a private room, and checked out after the first night. There was a party that went on until at least 2am (I was assured it was not a common occurrence, but still, very uncool for paying guests who weren't partying), and the walls must be made of a single sheet of paper-- when the guy in the room next door turned on his laptop, the beeps woke me up. And then when he started streaming a newscast at 7am that was it, I was fully awake and apprised of current events.

On the plus side, the staff was truly great, the place clean (though after reading the review before mine regarding bedbugs I was on high alert and still a little wary), and the hostel very centrally located. This is a fine hostel for travellers who truly don't mind noise. Everyone else, read my next review.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Brooklyn_Cowgirly

Thanks for posting your opinion! We'll be looking forward to attend your comments and take care of this details.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

After my check in I was just settling in my dorm was alerted by my room mates that I should choose another bed as the bed I picked was bed bug infested. I checked another bed, no surprise there were plenty of signs of bed bugs there as well (blood spots, beg bug faeces spots etc). Even the girls looked horrid as well, full of bed bug bites all over their arms. After this I was not keen to stay there any longer. The owners were decent enough and they allowed me to go, and they fully refunded the night I just paid for half an hour before. Check your mattress before you settle and keep your bags off the bed - even though you are not bothered by the bites, you can take bed bugs with you and they are extremely difficult to get rid of!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
valenthynacarrete, Public Relations Manager at Hostel Vive la Vida, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Hi! First of all, thanks for your comments. Bed bugs are something that backpackers carry with them sometimes, but it's also a very common problem in hotels and hostels. The important thing here is to detect them soon, and fumigate as soon as possible. It's not easy to get rid of them, but we are working on it, and we are also changing our wooden beds for metal beds, where it's less common and harder to find this bugs. We're very sorry for the difficulties you found, but we are working hard to fix this issues.

Reviewed 24 January 2013

I was there in November 2012 for few days, the place is excellent, nice and clean, the area is very safe, there are a bunch of convenience stores around as well as a lot of places where to get a good meal, the service is excelent, all installations are great, 100% recommended

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
valenthynacarrete, Public Relations Manager at Hostel Vive la Vida, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

We're glad to know you enjoyed your stay. We hope you come to Playa again soon!