“The most expensive and rubish snorkelling trip I've ever been in.”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #51 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 April 2011

For 40 US dollar per person they take you to a mile away bay crammed with scuba divers.
There, they let you dive in 3 feet of water with a life jacket on for an hour and you're done.
Here's my advice : Rent a car (outside the hotel) and venture further south where plenty of amazing diving spots can be yours for free !
Don't go there If you like water sports : the windsurf boards are either broken or not suitable for you (from what I was told) and you can only rent a hobie cat for an hour a day (if the wind is not too strong). Though unwind on the beach is great (if you can find one deck chair available !)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank giorgio37
Write a ReviewReviews (6,752)

Reviewed 27 April 2011

resort - excellent beach and pool. It was often windy, and this restricted the boating activities on many days. Basic Snorkling trip was disappointing, as reef bay was not sheltered so were tossed around and reef seemed pretty much dead. No real opportunity to snorkel directly from the hotel beach. beds are plentiful, with great thatched sunshades, although we did have a sunrise towel rota to book the best spots each morning on the beach !
food - buffet quality ok with enough choice for repeat visits. other restaurants could be better. Italian had best food, Japanese for the cooking experience, loved the onion volcano ! Mexican had worst food, but we had one very good night there due to the friendly staff and mucho tequila. Steak house was disappointing. burger bar by beach was great at lunchtime, and the ice-cream wagon.

drink - red wine was good, can ask for sparking cava too which was vey drinkable. cocktails at beach bar were fine, using local spirits and variable quantities ! cocktail bar at reception and in entertainment area were very good with international brands available. beer was not so good, only 'unbranded' draft available at the bars, but quality bottles in your room fridge. For the tea-loving Brits, take your own tea-bags as the Negra brand there was unpleasant and weak.

dress code enforced in the themed restaurants but not in buffet, where shorts and t-shirt ok. beach restaurant, for lunch, let people in with just swim-suits, would have preferred it if they had been told to cover up. Generally relaxed and informal everywhere.
bars - hotel lacks an outdoor area for the evening, with just indoor cocktail bars and the entertainment area, which is covered and partially air conditioned. Also would have liked a sports bar, or at least a screen somewhere where we could have watched a bit of football. Had fun in the swim up bar a couple of times. beach bar convenient for quick service during the day,
staff - all staff excellent, from reception, bar and restaurant and entertainment star team.
rooms - beds are firm, but this did not bother any of us. just ask for the pads if you prefer softer. balconies - disappointing views, unless you upgrade to sea-front at 75 USD per night which are great but basically the same room spec. Inward facing rooms overlook the 'jungle' which comes right up to the balconies on all three floors. Many are very dark, some you can barely see the sky, let alone the beach. Hotel may need to look at cutting back some of the overgrowing branches to let in more light. Great views of the monkeys though. Outward facing rooms more light, but only view of garden pathways and next door hotel. If you want to move rooms, reception were happy to oblige.
entertainment - variable - Boogie show was the best, almost west-end production quality. mexican culture shows twice a week were good too. in-house band and good dancing and 'live' singing, not mimed.

We went on half day trip to Tulum, less than an hour down the highway. Had personal guide who was very knowledgeable and talked for ever ! Prefered this to the long trek to Chichen Itcha. walked into Playa del Carmen a couple of times, once along beach and once on the road behind the hotels.. 5th avenue the main strip, shops all the same, with constant hastle for attention. Did not see any timeshare touts though. A small modern shopping area straight up from the dock was nice.

Room Tip: Many people on repeat vistis and I can see why.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank timbo98701
Reviewed 26 April 2011

I booked a junior suite for myself. No regrets. The suites are very near to the beach so you can change and shower whenever you want. The other rooms can be abouta 5 till 10 minutes walk. So if you forgot something, you have to walk a long way.
I had a fantastic stay at this hotel. I recommend it to anyone, also solo travelers.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Anna196537
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Excellent service, extremely clean and plenty of wild life too from peacocks to ducks, turtles, huge koi and lizards. Nice Italian restaurant, japanese hibachi and buffet style restaurant and several bars all included and on site.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I have been to mexico 3 times, and this was the best holiday i have had. I went with my husband and 1 other couple. The minute we arrived, it was a very warm welcome. The resort is big enough to feel like it's not over crowded but small enough to say it only takes minutes to walk from the lobby to the beach.

The food: The food was good im unsure for buffets but the really tried to mix it up for every meal. Of course they had the usuall for like kids, hot dogs and fries but it5 was nice. The al la cartes were good, our favorite was the japanese, and the the mexican and then the Italian. ONLY COMPALINT - in the italian there was 20 tables and only 6 were being used, after dinner my friend and i went out for a smoke and then we were coming back to have desert, but before we were done the boy's came to join us out side to explain to us that if we wanted deseret we only had 10 min to do so. Our reservation was at 7 and this all happened at 7:50 so that means we had to eat and be out of there by 8 for the next seating. We walked by at 8:30 and there was still only 5 tables out of the 20 being used.

The drinks were not weak, they kept asking us if we were driving, of course we said no and the kept pouring the liqure, there were times i had to ask for it to be weaker due to all you could taste was booze and my slushy was melting to fast from all the alcohol.

There is wild life every where, we stayed in 1522 and at 8 in the morning every day there was a fmaily of monkeys pass our room it was anywhere from 3-10 monkeys every day. We saw peacocks and swans and flamingos, parrots and tucans. The walk from the lobby to the beach is covered with jungle. It was nice to stay out of the sun and look at the ruins they have built in there.

The show at night was great, it wasn't like any of the opther places i have been to. It was actually corigraphed and they we all insinct with each other. My favorite one was the mexican show. It had myan people dancing with fire and it really got the crowed involved. My husband even went on stage 3 times.

The beach was clean and the sand was amazing. We got some profesional photos done there and they did an amazing job, the session was free and each photo i wanted was only 18 dollars.

I love this resort and can't wait to go back. It was great for all ages from young kids to seniors. You didn't feel out of place from any age.

Room Tip: Block 13-18, 15 was where we stayed LOVED IT
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bennetts19822
Reviewed 19 April 2011

I want to start lamenting the behavior of the operator Iberojet/Solplan not have the slighttest respect for costumers. Change the conditions of the flight and does not fulfill the promise. Already last year we habe been abandoned at the airport.
While talking about the hotel:
Iberostar substandard food, with lack of vegetables and meats, such as rabbit or duck. Sadly closed one of the themed restaurants (fish) with the excuse that he was booked for events. Lies! We never saw any event...
Rooms nice, but small bathroom and no bidet.
Staff friendly and attentive, always with a smile.
A beautiful beach with spectacular sea and a wonderful time, without rain.
I will return to México, but in another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Afonsino
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We arrived at Iberostar Quetzal @ noon. We were promplty greeted upon check in and offered a cold juice. Our room would not be available until 3pm, so we went to the hospitality suite and changed for the beach.

This was our second time at this property. Our first time was without children 9 years ago. The property hasnt' changed much, other than the location of the lobby bars and of course, the beach due to the hurricane.

Our room was on the Tucan side. It was conveniently located near the pool. The decor hasn't changed since 2002 and could really use an update. Also, there was very little storage. They offered no dressers. Other than the one dead cockroach and a few permanent stains on the blankets our room was clean. The housekeeping did a great job every day and always made great towel creatures.

The beach is MUCH nicer than a few years back with the huge sand bags, etc. Although, I miss the old beach. I don't like the steep drop off from beach to ocean, but hey, they did a great job rebuilding it so I can't complain to anyone other than mother nature for destroying it in the first place.

The pool is very large and was quite warm. They do a good job of cleaning it daily.

The reservations for dinner was very easy. We were allowed 2 nights at the a la carte for our 5 nights. The restaurants were ok. They were better than the buffets, but not great. The buffets were just awful. They offered the same exact foods for lunch and dinner every single day. Burgers, hot dogs, chicken, fish. I am not a picky eater. I did find things to fill me up, but I never walked away satisfied. I would have loved to see more variety and also some Mexican dishes offered.

The staff is wonderful there. So friendly and nice. They are always asking how they can help.

The shows were typical mega resort shows. They really aren't my thing, but they did a good job. Also, in the lobby they have more low key entertainment. They have a spanish guitar player and also an organ player.

Overall this vacation gave me a lot of r&r which I was looking for, but I wouldn't go back again.

Room Tip: I was in room 1245 and it was very close to pool