“Recommended”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We booked this holiday for a good relaxing holiday and marked a 50th whilst there. The location and proximity of the wildlife appealed to us. We weren't disappointed and took many good pictures, often close to the room. The room was fine, if a little dark and occasionally smelly in the mornings (ground floor / drains). The bed was comfortable for us. The beach was lovely although hard to get a sunbed if you didn't arrive early (not that anyone was lying on them!). The pool was massive and quiet enough at the far end. The grounds were very well maintained as were the public areas. The staff were all very friendly and there was was a good variety of drinks. We tended to ask for the drinks on the rocks as otherwise they were served with crushed ice and not as good. The bar in the Quetzal served better prepared drinks.
My only criticism was as a vegetarian. Obviously most won't be affected and my partner really enjoyed the variety of meats and fish served. My diet for the two weeks was severely limited. There was a veggie corner (not labelled so didn't realise for ages) but this seemed to be boiled veg and mash and occasionally one other dish. There were many salads but they nearly always added meat or fish! Even the avocados (which I love) had some meat topping on most occasions. We went to the italian for my birthday but although assured they could cater and they'd prepare a ravioli with spinach and tomato; the waiter reappeared and asked if they could use chicken stock! The labelling could be far clearer in the main restaurant. I realise that being a vegetarian is more difficult abroad, and believe me, I'm not a fussy eater, but Cuba was far better. Got a bit fed up of pizza, chips and the same 3 or 4 salad items on top!
We visited Chichen Itza and were glad we took advantage of the early Thomson tour before the crowds. We also visited a sink hole with a Tequila 'museum' which was totally ruined by the pushy sales guide. We didn't buy bad use of this. Similarly, Playa Del Carman could be a little of a hassle though no worse than Turkey or Egypt. I had a fantastic massage at Zen massage attached to the Blue Parrot hotel.
The entertainment team seemed to work hard and although not something I usually watch, the evening entertainment was fairly amusing. My partner played water polo and volleyball and did aqua aerobics in the sea which I enjoyed watching!
Overall had a lovely relaxing time and preferred this to some of the more contemporary, sterile
hotels down the road.
PS free wi fi on the right of the beach. The cost can build up otherwise. Returned 5/12.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Steph C,

We are glad to read your review regarding your recent stay at our beautiful resort Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal.

Our hotel has a privileged location in a beautiful quiet and relaxing beach, which along with our jungle area and impeccable facilities offer our visitors unique experiences to make the most of their vacations.

Your comments are taken seriously as they assist us to identify areas where the team involved can pay more attention and deliver the service according to our guest expectations. We are sorry to hear that you found hard to find vegetarian meals. Our chef is normally informed after our guests refer this information in order to make the staff aware and therefore be ready at all food points to offer you the options available. Our Chef will look into having a better way to identify and label this food points.

It is great to know that you were able to visit the area and become familiar with part of our culture and past!

We wish you happy anniversary and we hope to host you next year to celebrate you next anniversary!

Iberostar Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We visited in October and stayed for a week. I believe it was our 7th or 8th visit. Although we still truly enjoy the property and have nothing but positives for the employees, I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with the marked reduction of some of the quality foods that were previously available. Most noticeable was the lack of shrimp dishes that in the past were always available in the Mexican and buffet eateries. I do not expect lobster or filet every night ( though it was offered when we first visited in 2002) but do expect that some of the better seafood and other dishes still be made available, especially when one considers that the price we pay for a stay at the resort is not "cheap". That said, the food that was available was well made and plentiful so kudos to the chef and his staff. I encourage Iberostar to review and upgrade the menu just a tad so that loyal vacationers such as our family return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank njplayafan
Dear njplayafan,

We would like to mention that your review has been read by the Management and the Chef at Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal.

The time you have invested in posting your comments is highly appreciated as it represents an opportunity to look for new ways of improving.

Please note that plenty of changes have been made thanks to the opinions that our guests refer to us. This is an important factor that is helping us to continue working on offering new experiences to all our visitors. We regret to hear that you were not as impressed as previous stays with us.

You status as a repetitive guests is highly valued; we hope to have the pleasure to continue welcoming you at our hotel so that you can experience positive changes.

Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Review is a bit late - we were there in February 2013. The jungle atmosphere is fun - we saw lots of wildlife including monkeys. The grounds were well kept and enjoyable to walk. We upgraded to the presidential suite which was spacious with fantastic views. Service was good - sometimes we had to call a couple of times but generally our requests were taken care of in a timely fashion. The beach is huge - it was at least 100' to get to the ocean! The ocean had huge waves which made it difficult to swim in my opinion. The pool was just ok...not much going on, no music and very little entertainment. No swim up bar (you actually had to leave the pool and enter a much smaller pool for that). The food was less than average...I've been to several all-inclusives and know what to expect from a buffet but this was definitely substandard.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank wescow
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in order to write about your experiences during your last stay in Mexico.

We glad to read that your enjoyed our location around jungle and the wildlife living within, as well as your view from your Presidential suite.

We are sorry that you were disappointed about the entertainment program. We offer daily sports and animation activities for children and adults and every night we try to entertain our guests with different shows and professional dancers.

We regret that you did not like our culinary offerings. We will address your comment to our Food and Beverage Manager to take into account. Various changes have been implemented since your stay in February and we continue working on improvements.

Last but not least, we would like to thank you again for your honest words, which will help us in order to continue improving ourselves.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back one day in order to convince you about our improved service.

Kind regards

Tucson, Arizona, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is my third stay at an Iberostar and I am never disappointed. The staff is friendly and helpful and the dive company is awesome. They went out of their way to make sure I got my open water certification when the harbor was closed. Cannot wait to visit again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank kpaolisso
Dear Kpaolisso,

On behalf of the Management and all staff members of the IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for choosing us again. We are happy to see that you noticed our keeping our high quality standards year after year.

In addition we would like to congratulate you for your Open Water certificate!

It was our pleasure to have served you and we cannot wait to welcome you back!

Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Fantastic hotel, great food. Service was amazing, lots of activities included in package. Not able to sleep in with the amount of activity in the halls, slamming doors, etc. but similar to any hotel. We got up at 7 only twice to get good seats by the pool, but that seems to be the norm for most travellers...I don't get it. :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank hutchij2013
Dear Hutchij2013,

First of all we would like to thank you for having taken the time to write your comments about your recent stay in our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We really appreciate your positive words about the hotel. However, we are sorry to read that you could not find rest in the mornings. In this case you can always contact the front desk or the guest relation team in order for our team to take action. Your comments have been directed to our Hotel Management.

Hopefully, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and it planned a spur of the minute trip to Playa and I chose this location quickly based on the amount of good reviews. Normally, I only read the bad reviews so I know what's wrong with a place. I didn't really have time to research like I usually would. I would recommend this hotel for families with children. There were lots of activities for kids. The room we stayed in was very uncomfortable. The bed was ok but there wasn't one piece of furniture with a drawer so all our items were out laying on shelves. The bathroom was awkwardly designed. But MOST IMPORTANT was the view, or actually lack of. We requested an ocean view but none was available. We were told we would get a jungle or poop view. Instead we had a view (4 ft away) of the fence separating the property from next resort. It was terrible. I wanted to sit on the patio during rainy days but felt too cooped up. Also the room was a minimum 10 min walk from the beach. The food was good in the buffet. You must make reservations for other dining options and there were none available for us. The only restaurant we were able to dine in was the Japanese and I'll say it was the best show I've seen at a hibachi table. Just very disappointed we couldn't enjoy the others.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cecelia W
Dear Kedsgal,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

Thank you for highlighting the food of our buffet and the Japanese restaurant.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not meet your expectations concerning your room. We would like to inform you that our ocean view rooms are Junior Suites or the Presidential Suite. We always recommend our guests to book these rooms directly with their travel agency in order to have it guaranteed. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee room assignations prior to our guests’ arrival. When our guests inform us that they are not happy with their room, we always do our best to offer them a different assignment. Once again, we are sorry that you were disappointed.

We regret the situation with the dinner reservations; we would like to inform you that our guests are able to book their dinner reservations prior to their arrival through e-mail or as soon as they arrive to ensure restaurants are not booked up for their preferred times.

We are truly sorry you were disappointed. We would feel privileged to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future under more favorable circumstances.

Please feel free to contact us for further assistances.

With kindest regards,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We had a lovely time at Iberostar Tucan in November 2013. The hotel staff were fantastic, the food was fresh and tasty and the place is well suited for children. The jungle animals, the shallow pools, the playground and the childrens' entertainment all made it a highlight for our son and daughter.
And as any parent knows, adults only have fun when the children do too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank boywonda
Dear Boywonda,

We really appreciate your comments about your last holidays in November this year at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

The resort facilities and the location are perfect for families with kids. Your comment about the child friendliness in our resort is very important to us. They motivate us to keep up with the good work for our guests!

Please let us know if you and your family will visit us again, it would a pleasure.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,806 reviews

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!