“The best value all inclusive resort in Playacar”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #41 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“The best value all inclusive resort in Playacar”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for 14 nights from 18th May to 1st June 2014 and from the first moment we stepped off the coach we knew we had picked a gem of a hotel. The foyer is open and grand with immaculate floors and gardens and a great bar serving top brand drinks. The staff couldn't be more helpful if they tried. I was so impressed with the cleanliness of the whole resort as they were constantly cleaning the grounds, pools and rooms. There is amazing wildlife on the resort...howler monkeys, peacocks, swans, iguanas and Agitas all roaming the grounds it was amazing. The food is truly first rate even the general buffet with options such as veal available along with pasta and tacos cooked to order and fresh fruit cut up while you wait. al-a-carte restaurants were great, Japanese quite a show and the Italian and steakhouse the best of a great bunch. Amazing stay, great value for money and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank PaulGavrielides1971
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion and great remarks on our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We are very glad to have contributed to your great memories of your vacation in Playa del Carmen.

Your nice comments regarding our services and the friendliness of our staff are very much appreciated, we will make sure to share it with all the employees since it represents to us an inspiration and shows as we are on the right track to achieve our goals. Thank you for your nice review about our exotic fauna and our culinary offerings at the a la carte restaurants and buffets.

Once more, we thank you for such a great review about our beautiful resort. We will be honored to have the opportunity to host you back at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked this trip based off of reviews I read on Expedia and TripAdvisor and also heard from friends that traveled here in July 2012 that it was a beautiful resort. I have had many experiences with all inclusives, cruises, and overall travel to Mexico and other Caribbean islands and yet this was the first time I was prompted to leave a review because I feel like this place could have so much potential if they just CARED a little more about the way guests feel.

To start with the positives - the hotel location within Playacar (separate gated community in Playa del Carmen) is beautiful. The Tucan is on one side of the pool/jungle and the Quetzal is on the other and they have two separate lobbies. Personally I would have stayed on the Quetzal side knowing what I know now just because the scenery there is more lush and everything seems to happen in that lobby. Also only that buffet is open for lunch.
Only two buildings from what I could see actually give ocean views but the others are spaced out along the jungle path giving almost everyone easy access to some restaurants/ the lobby or the pool/beach.
The main pool is HUGE. It's a little tricky to get chairs in the sun due to some trees and the cabanas but you can re-position them. Beach is also amazing with plenty of chairs. Workers were always around cleaning up the pool, empty cups, trimming the trees, etc. We saw them at night doing maintenance and painting as well and they were cleaning out the ponds one day too. It is definitely well-kept resort. The jungle with all the wildlife was definitely a nice feature and nothing like I've ever seen before. It really was a great atmosphere and although I don't have any kids and didn't travel with any, it seems like the entertainment staff really kept the kids occupied and happy. Beach zumba looked like fun too and you can tell the Star Friends enjoy interacting with guests.
Rooms were pretty standard and all of them from what I saw had a little balcony with chairs (no shower curtain or doors though...). Housekeeping did a good job cleaning up and always seemed pleasant. I heard complaints about the beds being hard, but I slept just fine after a day of sun/drinks. The only thing that was a little annoying was the noise from the lobby bar one night but that's to be expected and I understand that people want to have a good time on vacation.

Onto the not so good:
Food in buffet was meh...even for an all inclusive. For breakfast and lunch it was fine I guess but it was very repetitive and unless it was deep fried (or fruit) it just tasted odd to me most days. The food at the pool bar was left out all day and never refreshed or updated when it got old/soggy. Unless you want burgers every day I would suggest going to the buffet indoors for lunch.
Service was VERY hit or miss with few exceptions. Gema was our pool waitress most days and she was great - clearly very busy but that isn't her fault, it's management's. She was always smiling and joking with us and normally very attentive. Clearly she had off on our last day though because we literally had to chase down waitresses who then took our order and never came back - numerous times. Good luck getting anyone to come up to you on the beach and even when they do there is literally ONE bartender for the entire main pool (pool bar is separate) and the beach so drinks take a long time. When I realized this, I headed down to the pool bar which honestly would have been amazing had the bartender not been totally overwhelmed by the amount of people waiting there for the same reason I was. Daniel was the bartender at the pool bar and he was fantastic when you caught him without the mob of people, but he needed someone there to assist him with drinks by the afternoon/evening. Pedro was also great and most bartenders at the lobby bars were too. If you want top shelf booze the lobby bars are the only place where you'll get it, otherwise you will get a blank stare. Keep in mind, while I realize that I am in Mexico, I do not think it's out of line for me to expect a server to understand the words "gin" "whiskey" or "ginger ale". The amount of incorrect drinks and blank stares my group received was frustrating. I'd also like to say Carlos in the steakhouse did exceed our expectations and we had a very pleasant experience there.
Check-in took forever as did any other call/question to reception since there was consistently not enough people at the desk. We were told to leave our bags in the lobby at check-in and the bell-hop would look after them. When we got back to the lobby when our room was finally ready our four bags were left there - unattended. Really??? We just grabbed them a little confused and took them up to the room ourselves.
The specialty or ala carte restaurant reservation process is in one word - obnoxious. We stayed 5 nights so we could only make 2 reservations "in advance" which was not expressed to us at check in. I did e-mail Iberostar prior to even booking the trip to ask about the specialty restaurants and got no response so maybe that should have been my first clue. Our first night nothing at the buffet looked appetizing as it was all left out since around 5:00 (I eat dinner later than 5 on vacation...) so we tried almost every restaurant asking since it's our first night if we could get a table - I got rude responses EVERY time and was told that they were "booked". Let me tell you - not one of those restaurants was full any night of the week yet somehow they were always "booked". It was clear that they did not want to seat any more people because they were once again, understaffed.
At any other all inclusive I've been to if I didnt like something in a restaurant I could switch it out for something else, or ask for changes. I got a flat out "no" when I asked for more sushi at the Japanese restaurant (note I wasn't eating "more" I simply said I preferred sushi to hibachi so asked them to switch it.) Finally after persisting the manager finally came over and understood what I was asking but it's frustrating that it took so much coercing. I will say that the food at the specialty restaurants is noticeably better than at the buffet. Our last night after our 2 reservation max was done I asked about reservations that night, again, they were "booked." Other guests also mentioned to me that they were a little confused how a half empty restaurant could somehow be out of reservations so clearly this is an issue.

If I could base it on looks alone I'd stay at the Iberostar again in a heartbeat, but I was left unimpressed by a lot of what I described. Obviously this place got good reviews for the most part so maybe my other AI experiences were just really good or we hit an off week here. Either way there is definitely room for improvement.

Room Tip: Buildings 10 and 20 for ocean views, 19 and 29 farthest from pool/ocean.
2 Thank Alilasagna
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking your time to share your vacational experience. We appreciate our guests’ valuable opinions and suggestions.

Thank you for your compliments to our great location, our beautiful grounds and exotic Mexican fauna. We also thank you for you kind words about our entertainment team, maintenance team and housekeeping.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations regarding food and beverage. We already shared it with the departments involved in order to keep working on improving. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte Restaurants and our guests' feedback are of great help when planning menus.

Additionally, we appreciate your compliments to Gema, Daniel, Pedro and Carlos. We will make sure they receive your kind words.

We would like to inform you that we offer the option to make your dinner reservations prior to your arrival but they can also be booked on site. Our booking system is based on restaurant seatings for our 5 specialty restaurants at 18:30, 19:00, 20:30 and 21:00. We want our guests to enjoy a nice dinner, which is why we do not reserve all tables in each seating. If we book all tables in one seating, our guests might be forced to eat faster and the experience would not be relaxing. Booking every table in the 4 seatings also leads guests to wait for previous guests to finish their meals and are enjoying their evening, and that eventually causes a whole delayed reservation system, which affects many guests and the service overall. We thank you for your understanding regarding this situation.

Once again, we would like to thank you for your valuable review and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.

Lewis Center, Ohio
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from a week at Iberostar Tucan in Playa del Carmen. Resort is beautiful with a jungle feel. Saw monkeys, peacocks and other wildlife daily. Scuba diving center right on resort is great. The pool is very large and the beach is immaculate. Lots of activities. Had no problems reserving any restaraunt we wanted for the evening. Ate at all but the Italian. Steak house was the best. Overall food just ok, but we are picky. Love it here and would go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the jungle or beach
3 Thank ginr22
Dear guest,

We are delighted with your kind words to our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We are very excited to know that we were able to offer you a fantastic holiday.

Thank you for your compliments about our tropical grounds and exotic fauna, which are the main attractions of our resort. Also, we appreciate that you enjoyed our Italian and Steak House restaurants.

We will also make sure that the scuba dive center receives your kind remarks.
It would be a honor to welcome you again for another fantastic holiday.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Traveling to Mexico is always a pleasure until I came across this terrible hotel.. Upon arrival we got a room covered with moulding in the bathroom area that I was not able to tolerate. Needless to say it was an ordeal trying to get another room! The staff service was awful, there was a fly inside of the "nata" on the continental buffet and one of the servers scooped out and left the cream there for everybody to eat. While eating my friend asked for a napkin and when I asked the server for mine his rude response was you did not ask for one..Service, food, and room quality have seen the worse that I have ever seen.. Do not book this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Pontenegro
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback, this will help us to improve our services and enhance our guests’ holiday experience.

Please accept our sincere apologies if this was not the vacational experience that you were expecting. All the issues described by you will be investigated by our Housekeeping Manager, Executive Chef and Front Desk Manager. This is not the memory that we want our guests’ to take back home and we will ensure our high standards are met at all times. We will be checking these areas closely with their Department Managers.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This was our first trip to Playa, and our first AI. We are a family of 7 (5 kids aged 15 to 21) and the AI, while a little bland sometimes, was a great situation for a group with different tastes.

First, the resort itself has beautiful grounds and delivers on the nature aspect of its theme. The monkeys, peacocks, etc. we're all exciting to see and interact with, while the pool, beach, and common areas were very nice and kept very clean by the hard working staff. The rooms were very basic hotel rooms with small double beds, not queens. The only real negative I would say about the rooms were that they will soon be in need of a remodel as the doors, closets, etc, are in need of some refurbishment and updating.

We ate at the Japanese and steak a la cartes, and liked both. Food was above average and service was impeccable. The buffets were solid for breakfast, and had a nice diversity at lunch. We ate dinner in the buffets a few nights and found that it got repetitive after a night or two. They do try to appeal to all nationalities with the offerings but felt they should have focused a little more on their Mexican roots as the Mexican items that were served were very good.

Finally, staying with the cruise ship comparison, just know when you come, there is a diverse clientele. Some people tend to get over served and actually become part of the entertainment, but since they do cater to children as well here, just be aware that the children may hear or see things that are not typically family related.

Overall, we would definitely return again as my kids loved this place. The staff, grounds, and pool/beach area make this place the resort that gets the great reviews.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Phil J
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to extend our gratitude to you and your family for choosing our Hotel IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal during your recent stay in Mexico.

We appreciate that you liked our tropical grounds and beautiful fauna. Also, we are very excited with your comments about our pool, the facilities and to our exceptional staff. Additionally, we are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our a la carte restaurants Japanese and Steak House and our buffets.

Regarding the rooms we apologize if was not of your liking. Our rooms have a Caribbean décor that adapt to the surroundings. We recently changed the textiles in the room, and our Housekeeeping and Maintenance Department do their best to keep the rooms well looked after. Your feedback however, as all our guests' feedback, will be addressed to the Management.

Your great suggestion about our gastronomy will be forwarded to the Executive Chef.

Last but not least, we are a family oriented resort and your remark has been noted and will be acted upon. Thank you for that insight.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you and your family back at our IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is essentially a cruise ship on land, meaning you can eat and drink virtually 24 hours a day, have a wealth of activities to choose from, and they have a large number of excellent employees, especially the Star Friends who work hard and do a great job. The tropical mixed drinks were a little bland and could use more flavor (and alcohol). They do very well with the food as there is a large selection to choose from, but it is also a little bland but I believe that is intentional and there are plenty of spices and extras to spice it up yourself. However, my wife did catch some sort of "bug" the second night we were there which hampered the remainder of our trip.The grounds were very well kept and the whole place is neat and clean. We had an Ocean View Jr. Suite which I highly recommend and believe is worth the extra price.

They have a beautiful beach with lots of lounge chairs and palapas for shade. If the palapas are all taken you can check out an umbrella. There are employees walking around that will bring you a drink and its just a short walk to a grill, bar, and ice cream. They also have a very nice, large pool.

There were a few "issues" such as the "free snorkeling", the price of the scuba diving, and having to pay for Internet access.

The hotel lists free snorkeling, but it hardly exists. I could not find anyone to point out where there was any free snorkeling other than being told we could snorkel off the beach in front of the hotel, but they also said there is nothing to see as there is only white sand and no reef or structure, however, they were more than happy to sell us a snorkel excursion.

As far as scuba diving, they use Dressel Divers, which can be very expensive. Every dive is priced as a single dive, even if you do a two tank dive. Every where else I have been offers at least some discount for two tank dives, but not here. The only way to get any discount is pay for a package of at least 5 dives. In addition, one two tank dive to a cenote (cavern) cost me over $250 US. I recommend you walk down the beach and check with the other operators.

The final issue is that you have to pay for Internet access per device you want to use. They do have a computer room with a couple of computers, but you have to pay to use them as well. They could certainly do better in this day and age than that.

Overall, it's a excellent place and you can stay busy with activities or just lay out on the beach.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get an ocean view suite
5 Thank DHO123
Dear guest,

On behalf of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your holiday experience at our resort.

We appreciate your praising to our grounds and we are very excited to know that you enjoyed the Junior Suite with ocean view.

We are glad to know that the variety of the food at our restaurants was up to your expectations. The food options offered try to adapt to our national and international guests' palate and that is why there are options to spice up the food according to each personal taste. However, we will be passing onto our Chef your suggestion about having a great selection of different spices in order to try to accommodate more guests' requests in this respect . We are sorry to hear your wife got sick during your stay, we hope she has recovered and it was nothing serious. We would like to reassure our guests and future guests that health & safety is of high priority to us, and both our H&S Department and external consultancy and other organizations make constant audits to ensure all the standards are followed and our food is safe for our guests.

Moreover, we are sorry to read that the drinks served did not meet your expectations, our resort works with top branded liquors and the bartenders are constantly trained. However if a guests asks for anything to be prepared in a particular way, they are always willing to gather efforts to create the drink of your request.

We would like to mention that Dressel Divers are an external company that in coordination with the hotel offers some non motorized activities based on availability as part of the all inclusive package. We will be referring the information shared in the review to the persons in charge for them to act accordingly.

Regarding the WiFi, we would like to mention that thanks to our guests’ suggestions our Management introduced this service and created packages to offer the most accessible prices to our guests.

Once again, we thank you for your valuable review and we wish to have another opportunity to welcome you at our resort.

Playa Del Carmen
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Iberostar was wonderful from the time we arrived till the time we left. We went for a wedding and the wedding coordinator was perfect, accommodated anything and everything. The whole staff was pumped up about our marriage, very involved. We had a group of 17 come for the weekend and they knew all of us, and we stayed another week for the honey moon. They made sure we were taken very well care of and I couldn't of been happier. They made the room very romantic for us the night of our wedding, left us gifts through out our stay. The food was excellent!! The drinks were never ending! The entertainment was great! We had a blast, definitely recommend to other and will be back for sure! :) THANKS IBEROSTAR!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Nicholas T
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing our resort to celebrate such a special moment; we are much honored to have served you, your family and friends.

We are so excited to know that you had a wonderful time at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We appreciate your compliments to our wedding coordinator. She will be very happy to receive your kind words. Also, we thank you for your remarks to our amazing staff.

Additionally, we are glad that you enjoyed our variety of food and drinks. Our Entertainment Manager will be very happy to know that you had a great vacational experience.

We hope to welcome you back soon at our IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for another wonderful time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,865 reviews

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!