“Fun and unique resort with excellent service.”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #51 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Iberostar Tucan is a unique all-inclusive resort with palapa rooftops and native animals on site. The resort is about 45 minutes drive from the airport in Playa Del Carmen. The distance is worth it. The beach is stunning. You can book a day trip to Tulum, which is about 45-1hr away. You can also walk about 30min to go shopping at the market on 5th Ave.

The service at Iberostar Tucan was the best I've ever received at an AI. The staff is lovely and helpful. The activities staff keep the vibe fun and exciting. I'd recommend beach Zumba, the magic carpet and tennis. Food is typical AI fare. They have different restaurants you can make reservations at, but we actually liked the dinner buffet better than the restaurants. They also have an ice-cream stand on the beach. As far as water sports, they have parasailing and jetskis for hire. There are free snorkels, kayaks and Hobie Cats (but you have to know how to use them or else $ for instruction).

The least impressive thing about Iberostar Tucan was our room. It was very no-frills and buggy (as we were on the 1st floor). But they restock the mini-fridge regularly and have decent offerings on the TV.

All in all the trip was great. We'd be happy to return and miss it already.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Katalyst500
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear guest,

First and foremost, we would like to express our gratitude and sincerely thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal to spend your vacations.

We are so delighted to receive your wonderful comments, which convey that your stay was remarkable.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our privileged location and that our high standard of service was beyond your expectations.

Thank you very much for your compliments to our staff, especially to the entertainment team “ Star Friends” and we are happy to know that you enjoyed their activities such as zumba classes, the magic carpet at the pool and tennis. Furthermore, we are pleased to know that you liked our fresh and delicious variety of food at the buffet, as well as our refreshing ice-cream at the beach.

We are sorry to read that our room was not in accordance with your expectations, but we appreciate that you liked the room amenities.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to our IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in the near future.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (6,866)

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Room issues. ....on my second room now....checked in at 3:00 was in the rooms til 9pm dealing with maintanance. ....food is horrible.....had mexican restaurant last night ....sucked.....walked out of japanese tonight as they were not able to understand english enough to understand my wife has allergy to carrots....buffets....suck......if I was able to leave today I would.....thanks Tucan for a great Honeymoon

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Steven M
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any issue occurred during your stay, this is not the memory that we would like our guests to take back home. We also would like to add that our staff offered all the possibilities to make your stay more pleasant and once more, we apologize if we did not meet you expectations.

We hope to have another opportunity to host you back at IBEROSTAR.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from a two week holiday with my partner at Iberostar Tucan. I cannot begin to express how amazing this hotel was. From the moment we arrived the staff were really accommodating and unbelievably friendly.
When we arrived at our room we thought it was a little basic but nothing to complain about. It was very clean and had everything we needed, the mini bar was always stocked up and if we ran out of a drink they would bring us some more. We also ordered room service which we thought was very good and took no time at all. My partner thought the size of the bed was a little smaller than he expected but we can't say we didn't have a good nights sleep the whole trip.
We were a bit worried about the food before we arrived because of previous experiences with all inclusive, however we could not believe how fresh, delicious, and tasty it was! We ate in all the restaurant apart from the tropical, our favourite was the Italian restaurant because we thought the service and the food was just superb and we really like the choice they had on the menu - we ate at the italian twice and thoroughly enjoyed both meals. The only disappointment of the holiday for us was the Mexican restaurant, there was nothing wrong with the food but we just did not think it was as nice and as all the other restaurants. The Japanese restaurant was very delicious and we like the fact that they cooked all of it in front of you, we thought Alex our chef was very good. At lunchtime we ate at the pool buffets which we thought were very nice and fresh, we were pleasantly surprised at how good the pool/beach grill was where they made fresh burgers and hot dogs. We cannot still believe at how nice the main buffet was, they had a good variety of cuisines and they kept on replacing the dishes so they were always fresh. Breakfast was good and again had a lot of variety and really fresh.
What we loved about the hotel was the wildlife around the resort! We really liked the photographers going round taking pictures of you and on days they would have an animal with them for you to hold, which you can then purchase at a later date. We had a numerous of photos taken and were really pleased with Carlos's photos and he also gave us a good deal on purchasing them.
We found the pool was beautiful and really big, it never felt busy and it was impeccably clean the whole time we were there. The only negative was the spa ladies always coming round and asking if you wanted information about the spa as they came everyday.
We found the Star Friends and their entertainment to be really fun and enthusiastic, we loved Muricio's aqua aerobics and zumba on the beach, on the whole the Star Friends were really friendly and were always there if you need anything to do!
Overall we cannot say how much we loved this resort and the staff, they were all so friendly and polite and helped out whenever we needed them to.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone because of its feel, cleanliness and its value for money. Don't miss out!!

5  Thank Bethany B

Dear guest,

We want to express our most sincere gratitude for taking your time to write and sharing your travel impressions about our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We feel much honored with your review as it displays the great time that you spent with us and the quality service that we were able to provide.

Thank you for your compliments about the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness and amenities of your room. We would also like to add that thanks to our guests’ suggestions we were able to replace all the mattresses and include pillow tops in all of them.

We highly value your appreciation to our gastronomy at the a la carte restaurants, buffets and pool grill. Our Executive Chef and his team only work with high quality products and they focus on offering a great variety of food to please all the different tastes of our guests. However, we are sorry to read that the Mexican restaurant did not meet your expectations and your suggestion is being addressed to the Executive Chef for improvements. We will also make sure that Chef Alex receives your kind words.

Please accept our apologies regarding the Spa promotion, it is not intended to cause any discomfort to our guests and you valuable suggestion has been forwarded to the Spa Manager.

Your highlighted comments are going to be shared with our entertainment staff “Star Friends” and Mauricio who leads the zumba and aqua aerobics classes. They are very popular among our guests!

Once again, we thank you for your review and please consider giving us another opportunity to host you back at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, as it would be a pleasure to serve you again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I found out about this resort from several friends that had been there about a decade ago. Their memories made me really excited to book this hotel. There were a lot of pros and cons for me, so I'll just list them here:

PROS:
The grounds and animals are amazing. Period.

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

The beach is VERY beautiful and they have fine, white sand.

Check-in and check-out was a breeze.

I felt the resort had a lot of things going on to try and entertain the guests.

The rooms were very comfortable and housekeeping was decent.

CONS:

The food. It is your basic mass-produced buffet....with the exception of the Japanese restaurant (that was amazing!).

The bathrooms have archaic hairdryers and no conditioner- anywhere. Small thing, but make sure you have some!

The local snorkeling is NOT included and charged at around $50 per person (same for kiddos), which is ridiculous. Local snorkeling should always be included with the resort price and trips to Cozumel and Xel-ha extra. We did not get to take advantage of either because the beach tide was too high our last 3 days to get out on the boat.

They do not have enough top-shelf liquor. I wasn't intending to get plastered every night or anything, but I expect more top-shelf choices for a resort of this price.

They could use some updating on their outside decor in general.

Don't get me wrong, overall, the resort was good and I had a nice time. I think they did a great job at anticipating our needs and I felt welcome. However, for the price that I paid, I would probably try another resort next time I visit Playa unless they do some updating. Better for families than for couples.

Room Tip: We stayed in the middle (1400's) set of rooms on the 3rd floor. This was nice, because they offe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank RebeccaKuehn

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your travel experience in our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We highly appreciate your comments about our grounds, fauna, rooms and our staff, as well as your remarks about our check in and out process. Our outstanding entertainment team is always looking to offer a great variety of activities throughout the day and night to our guests. We are also very happy to know that you enjoyed our Japanese restaurant.

At the same time, we would like to apologize if the food in general did not meet your expectations. Our Executive Chef and his team are always looking for new recipes and spices in order to fulfill our guests’ expectations and requirements, however, your kind suggestion will be forwarded to him for improvements. We would also like to add that your suggestion about our bathroom amenities will be sent to the Housekeeping Manager.

Regarding the snorkeling we kindly inform you that we have an external company in coordination with the resort that offers some non-motorized activities based on availability as part of the all inclusive, we will share the review with the Responsible Manager, in charge of these activities.

We are sorry to read that our liquors did not meet your expectations, our bars offer a wide variety of national and international branded liquors.

We hope to have the opportunity of hosting you back again at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for 14 nights from 18th May to 1st June 2014 and from the first moment we stepped off the coach we knew we had picked a gem of a hotel. The foyer is open and grand with immaculate floors and gardens and a great bar serving top brand drinks. The staff couldn't be more helpful if they tried. I was so impressed with the cleanliness of the whole resort as they were constantly cleaning the grounds, pools and rooms. There is amazing wildlife on the resort...howler monkeys, peacocks, swans, iguanas and Agitas all roaming the grounds it was amazing. The food is truly first rate even the general buffet with options such as veal available along with pasta and tacos cooked to order and fresh fruit cut up while you wait. al-a-carte restaurants were great, Japanese quite a show and the Italian and steakhouse the best of a great bunch. Amazing stay, great value for money and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank PaulGavrielides1971

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion and great remarks on our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We are very glad to have contributed to your great memories of your vacation in Playa del Carmen.

Your nice comments regarding our services and the friendliness of our staff are very much appreciated, we will make sure to share it with all the employees since it represents to us an inspiration and shows as we are on the right track to achieve our goals. Thank you for your nice review about our exotic fauna and our culinary offerings at the a la carte restaurants and buffets.

Once more, we thank you for such a great review about our beautiful resort. We will be honored to have the opportunity to host you back at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked this trip based off of reviews I read on Expedia and TripAdvisor and also heard from friends that traveled here in July 2012 that it was a beautiful resort. I have had many experiences with all inclusives, cruises, and overall travel to Mexico and other Caribbean islands and yet this was the first time I was prompted to leave a review because I feel like this place could have so much potential if they just CARED a little more about the way guests feel.

To start with the positives - the hotel location within Playacar (separate gated community in Playa del Carmen) is beautiful. The Tucan is on one side of the pool/jungle and the Quetzal is on the other and they have two separate lobbies. Personally I would have stayed on the Quetzal side knowing what I know now just because the scenery there is more lush and everything seems to happen in that lobby. Also only that buffet is open for lunch.
Only two buildings from what I could see actually give ocean views but the others are spaced out along the jungle path giving almost everyone easy access to some restaurants/ the lobby or the pool/beach.
The main pool is HUGE. It's a little tricky to get chairs in the sun due to some trees and the cabanas but you can re-position them. Beach is also amazing with plenty of chairs. Workers were always around cleaning up the pool, empty cups, trimming the trees, etc. We saw them at night doing maintenance and painting as well and they were cleaning out the ponds one day too. It is definitely well-kept resort. The jungle with all the wildlife was definitely a nice feature and nothing like I've ever seen before. It really was a great atmosphere and although I don't have any kids and didn't travel with any, it seems like the entertainment staff really kept the kids occupied and happy. Beach zumba looked like fun too and you can tell the Star Friends enjoy interacting with guests.
Rooms were pretty standard and all of them from what I saw had a little balcony with chairs (no shower curtain or doors though...). Housekeeping did a good job cleaning up and always seemed pleasant. I heard complaints about the beds being hard, but I slept just fine after a day of sun/drinks. The only thing that was a little annoying was the noise from the lobby bar one night but that's to be expected and I understand that people want to have a good time on vacation.

Onto the not so good:
Food in buffet was meh...even for an all inclusive. For breakfast and lunch it was fine I guess but it was very repetitive and unless it was deep fried (or fruit) it just tasted odd to me most days. The food at the pool bar was left out all day and never refreshed or updated when it got old/soggy. Unless you want burgers every day I would suggest going to the buffet indoors for lunch.
Service was VERY hit or miss with few exceptions. Gema was our pool waitress most days and she was great - clearly very busy but that isn't her fault, it's management's. She was always smiling and joking with us and normally very attentive. Clearly she had off on our last day though because we literally had to chase down waitresses who then took our order and never came back - numerous times. Good luck getting anyone to come up to you on the beach and even when they do there is literally ONE bartender for the entire main pool (pool bar is separate) and the beach so drinks take a long time. When I realized this, I headed down to the pool bar which honestly would have been amazing had the bartender not been totally overwhelmed by the amount of people waiting there for the same reason I was. Daniel was the bartender at the pool bar and he was fantastic when you caught him without the mob of people, but he needed someone there to assist him with drinks by the afternoon/evening. Pedro was also great and most bartenders at the lobby bars were too. If you want top shelf booze the lobby bars are the only place where you'll get it, otherwise you will get a blank stare. Keep in mind, while I realize that I am in Mexico, I do not think it's out of line for me to expect a server to understand the words "gin" "whiskey" or "ginger ale". The amount of incorrect drinks and blank stares my group received was frustrating. I'd also like to say Carlos in the steakhouse did exceed our expectations and we had a very pleasant experience there.
Check-in took forever as did any other call/question to reception since there was consistently not enough people at the desk. We were told to leave our bags in the lobby at check-in and the bell-hop would look after them. When we got back to the lobby when our room was finally ready our four bags were left there - unattended. Really??? We just grabbed them a little confused and took them up to the room ourselves.
The specialty or ala carte restaurant reservation process is in one word - obnoxious. We stayed 5 nights so we could only make 2 reservations "in advance" which was not expressed to us at check in. I did e-mail Iberostar prior to even booking the trip to ask about the specialty restaurants and got no response so maybe that should have been my first clue. Our first night nothing at the buffet looked appetizing as it was all left out since around 5:00 (I eat dinner later than 5 on vacation...) so we tried almost every restaurant asking since it's our first night if we could get a table - I got rude responses EVERY time and was told that they were "booked". Let me tell you - not one of those restaurants was full any night of the week yet somehow they were always "booked". It was clear that they did not want to seat any more people because they were once again, understaffed.
At any other all inclusive I've been to if I didnt like something in a restaurant I could switch it out for something else, or ask for changes. I got a flat out "no" when I asked for more sushi at the Japanese restaurant (note I wasn't eating "more" I simply said I preferred sushi to hibachi so asked them to switch it.) Finally after persisting the manager finally came over and understood what I was asking but it's frustrating that it took so much coercing. I will say that the food at the specialty restaurants is noticeably better than at the buffet. Our last night after our 2 reservation max was done I asked about reservations that night, again, they were "booked." Other guests also mentioned to me that they were a little confused how a half empty restaurant could somehow be out of reservations so clearly this is an issue.

If I could base it on looks alone I'd stay at the Iberostar again in a heartbeat, but I was left unimpressed by a lot of what I described. Obviously this place got good reviews for the most part so maybe my other AI experiences were just really good or we hit an off week here. Either way there is definitely room for improvement.

Room Tip: Buildings 10 and 20 for ocean views, 19 and 29 farthest from pool/ocean.
2  Thank Alilasagna

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking your time to share your vacational experience. We appreciate our guests’ valuable opinions and suggestions.

Thank you for your compliments to our great location, our beautiful grounds and exotic Mexican fauna. We also thank you for you kind words about our entertainment team, maintenance team and housekeeping.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations regarding food and beverage. We already shared it with the departments involved in order to keep working on improving. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte Restaurants and our guests' feedback are of great help when planning menus.

Additionally, we appreciate your compliments to Gema, Daniel, Pedro and Carlos. We will make sure they receive your kind words.

We would like to inform you that we offer the option to make your dinner reservations prior to your arrival but they can also be booked on site. Our booking system is based on restaurant seatings for our 5 specialty restaurants at 18:30, 19:00, 20:30 and 21:00. We want our guests to enjoy a nice dinner, which is why we do not reserve all tables in each seating. If we book all tables in one seating, our guests might be forced to eat faster and the experience would not be relaxing. Booking every table in the 4 seatings also leads guests to wait for previous guests to finish their meals and are enjoying their evening, and that eventually causes a whole delayed reservation system, which affects many guests and the service overall. We thank you for your understanding regarding this situation.

Once again, we would like to thank you for your valuable review and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from a week at Iberostar Tucan in Playa del Carmen. Resort is beautiful with a jungle feel. Saw monkeys, peacocks and other wildlife daily. Scuba diving center right on resort is great. The pool is very large and the beach is immaculate. Lots of activities. Had no problems reserving any restaraunt we wanted for the evening. Ate at all but the Italian. Steak house was the best. Overall food just ok, but we are picky. Love it here and would go again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the jungle or beach
3  Thank ginr22

Dear guest,

We are delighted with your kind words to our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We are very excited to know that we were able to offer you a fantastic holiday.

Thank you for your compliments about our tropical grounds and exotic fauna, which are the main attractions of our resort. Also, we appreciate that you enjoyed our Italian and Steak House restaurants.

We will also make sure that the scuba dive center receives your kind remarks.
It would be a honor to welcome you again for another fantastic holiday.