“Fun resort for the family”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #43 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
“Fun resort for the family”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

12 of us stayed here at the end of May for a family wedding (the wedding was not at this resort, but at a condo) and we picked this location since it was close to the condo and that it seemed to be very family friendly.

The resort is HUGE, my husband and I have stayed at two other Iberostars and they were much smaller than this one. Our room was different from my parents, we had a king and a smaller sitting area where they had two queen beds (And a HUGE Thank You for the complimentary bottle of Tequila, we greatly appreciate it!!). Both rooms were very nice and clean and we loved the multiple Monkey sightings. We thought we wouldn't like the separate buildings instead of a huge hotel complex, but it didn't make a difference at all and in fact it was nice walking through the resort and seeing all the different buildings.

The pool is really, really, REALLY big and it never gets crowded. The star friends are definitely active during the Water Aerobics and the Magic Carpet ride game. I did both and it was a blast. I will say, at the lower end of the pool, the one closest to the resort and adult pool bar, it is pretty deep. I am not used to treading water at a hotel pool, but it didn't matter since we were usually at the beachy end. Speaking of the beach, its gorgeous and its choppy, but it was like our own wave pool, so we loved it.

The food was good, I have had better at other Iberostar's but we also didn't pay much to stay here, so I was completely fine with that. The food at the Japanese and Tropical restaurants were great and we left insanely full. Breakfast is amazing here, lots to choose from and I loved the juices.

And lastly, all of the wildlife -- it was purely spectacular. I loved running into peacocks, lizards, etc. They are used to people so they would never harm anybody, and in fact, the baby peacocks will lounge around the lobby area at night for a late night snack of popcorn. The best was when we would have monkey's on our balcony. I never went outside to touch them, but to see them was great.

We just LOVE Iberostar and recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Deej R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It is a pleasure for us to welcome loyal guests from our chain, like you. We are very pleased to know that you were very satisfied with your comfortable room and its amenities. Moreover, we are glad that you were able to relax at our large pool or under the sun at our astonishing beach.

Our entertainment team “Star Friends” do an outstanding job offering fun activities to our beloved guests; we are glad that you participated in the water aerobics and magic carpet ride.

With regard to our cuisine, we value your comments about our Japanese and Tropical a la carte restaurants and also our delicious breakfast with fresh juices at our buffets. We also appreciate your kind words to our amazing fauna; it is a privilege to receive the visit of the howler monkeys at your balcony.

It was a pleasure to have served you and your group and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Playa Del Carmen
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Simple Awesome!!!!!! Probably the best vacation me and my son's have ever taken. The Resort, the staff, the food were all top notch. Would suggest this destination to anyone and everyone considering a trip to Cancun.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

2 Thank Joseph U
Dear guest,

We are thrilled with your great remarks on our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Thank you for your praise about our facilities and exceptional staff. Our Executive Chef will be very excited with your kind words to our delicious cuisine.

Our staff is committed to providing the utmost in customer service and we are very happy to know that we were able to provide you and your son with the best vacation you have ever had.

We wish to host you and your son back again soon for another memorable stay at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My birthday and our anniversary of 28 years meant that we had to find some where to go. We wanted to snorkel and Cozumel bay came up in searches. With a bit of research we decided to go with good reviews on food and service and this hotel with the staff that work there make it a easy choice. it was very high on the rankings.

On reflection I should have taken more pesos with me and gave more tips. The staff were great and did not ask or seem to want any tips. There seemed to be no pressure. Only after hearing how much they are paid and seeing their faces appreciate when you do tip. Did I then think it would have been better to tip more. I have listed below some of the staff that i met. They made our stay a lovely experience. The service was great and their attention to requests made it a great experience.
I would have liked free wifi which the Hotel next door had. Maybe this will be a choice of mine to consider in the future.

Olivia our cleaner
Daniel waiter at the Italian restaurant
William at the beach buffet bar
Carlos and the waiter at the Tropical night
Edsiquel and Andres chatty at the show in the evening
I forgot his name but one of the entertainment team with Manuel showed us how to salsa and dance merengue. It was a good laugh with lots of others young and old together near the beach.
Arturo at buffet building
Otila by the pool.
Oscar waiter.
Jorge Marty.
Fredy in the restaurants.
Lissy served us some drinks. On our first few nights as we sat near the front. One of the girls bought us drinks. She smiled and as soon as our glass was empty returned to us.
Ivan upon arrival made us feel welcome as he poured us a couple of cold juice drinks at reception. Very nice touch after travelling for more than 14 hours.

The atm machine local to the hotel pays out in dollars and makes a charge so try to get money before you go. I would take pesos out with me with the knowledge of the locals and payment. Most prices are dearer if you pay in dollars.
I also was able to use the card in the local pharmacy for headache tablets so if caught short. Some places can take payment electronically.

When you arrive make sure you fill out the visa form on the plane that they supply. This is very important and you have to keep and return on your way out of Mexico. There is a charge if you loose it. We had to que a while in customs so if you have the card it will help to improve the time spent on the way in.

We stayed in the block of 1400. On the second floor, using reviews to be near the monkeys. All flats had visits from them although they was fussy and it seemed knew the ones where they were going to get food from. The monkeys we noticed eat from peoples hands. Bananas and apples. They were very friendly and easy to approach. There is lots of other wildlife walking around and although signs say they could bite. They all seem friendly.

We used Dressel Divers for excursions and Pablo the Thomsons rep. Both were very good. Theodora was excellent on the whale shark tour. See my other reviews for more detail. We had trips to see doplhins, swim with whale sharks, snorkel in the bays. Akumal bay with the turtles, the underwater caves and Ihan bay.

Food choice is excellent from the standard buffet houses and a little more improved from the other restaurants. Italian, Steak house, Mexican, Japanese and Tropical.
In the buffet areas you can have fresh pasta cooked, omelettes etc. So much choice. I am afraid that my waist line increased as I often tried more than one dish. Puddings were great and so much choice. Fresh fruit, Yoghurt etc. All types of food seemed to be there from chips to fromage cheese.

The hotel is quiet large so depending on where you would like to be sited depends on a walk to either the beach or food places at either end. Overall it is easy to far to walk to either the pool or the beach. The disco is placed right at the front which had all the football matches on.

We walked outside the complex and did walk to the local starbucks and shops. Only a few minutes walk away.
There are more shops on 5th Avenue and if you want to get a cab is only 70 pesos away.

Safety always seems a concern when travelling to far away countries but everyone we spoke to seemed to indicate it was safe to go out. That entering out of the complex or past the gates was no problem. We walked out in the evenings and was out by the port in town and did not feel threatened. The only issue is if when you look like a tourist then they will try to sell you tours or tickets. On the beach they also approach but a simple no and they leave you alone.

My view of Mexico and the area is that it is far easier to go on tours your self, To visit areas your self and sample views that equal the Maldives. Only the area has more people but the beaches we visited were white sand with Blue sea so clear in the waters.

I hope you enjoy the area and say hello to some of the people mentioned above.

Vincenzo

Room Tip: Most rooms when closed have great double glazing and heavy curtains so when closed minimal sound is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Vincenzo I
Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for sharing with the online community your comments regarding your stay at our resort.

First of all, we are much honored to have been chosen to celebrate such a special occasion; thank you for letting us to be part of this celebration.

We would like to mention that tips are already included in you all inclusive package and our guests have no obligation to tip, however, your gesture is appreciated.

Thank you very much for your praise about our excellent service and exceptional staff. Our staff is truly committed to helping our guests have the best holiday experience possible and your recognition gives us a motivation to keep working hard towards this goal. We will make sure that your gentle words are forwarded to Olivia, Daniel, William, Carlos, Esequiel, Andres, Manuel, Arturo, Otila, Oscar, Jorge, Marty, Fredy, Lissy and Ivan.

As per the WIFI, we would like to inform you that thanks to our guests’ suggestions, the company recently introduced this service in all our resorts in Mexico, at accessible prices. The Management will be notified about your comment.

In regard to our food, we are delighted to know that our gastronomy exceeded your expectations. Our Executive Chef will be very excited to know that you had a such a good experience at our buffets and a la carte restaurants. We would like to mention that our team of cooks only work with fresh ingredients and high quality products and our Chef is always looking to please all our guests’ different tastes.

Once again, thank you for your great feedback and we hope to have the honor of welcoming you for many other special celebrations at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Greensburg, Pennsylvania

July 4th-11th Stay

Check-In- Smooth and simple with standard welcome drink. We arrived early (Noon) so our room was not ready, the staff however showed us to a changing room and took care of our bags while we enjoyed the beach. At 2pm i returned room was ready and the bell boy quickly assisted with my bags.

Room- Block 15 (middle floor)- Pretty standard hotel room with balcony overlooking the theater area and main buffet. Bathroom was small but adequate and had standard amenities (soaps, shampoo, lotion etc.) They were restocked when needed. There was also a hair dryer. I felt there was adequate closet and storage space as well as a in room safe. The bed was a very hard mattress tough to sleep on but i made due.

Beach/Pool- HUGE POOL largest ive seen and it was very well kept. The water did tend to get rather hot during the late afternoon. Plenty of sun chairs to be had and always something going on (zumba etc). BEACH- LOVED IT, beautiful soft white sand and light blue water. My favorite of any beach i have been to. Not many people asking you to buy things or do excusions, so nice to relax and just enjoy the wave. Again there was always plenty of loungers. The palapas filled up quick but i never saw anyone with out a place to lounge. The Pool has a beach side bar which served standard frozen drinks and beer and there is a detached pool bar that is like a cenote with a waterfall it was nice to take breaks and escape to the pool bar as it felt private. It was lively but nothing obnoxious.

Staff- I cant say enough about the staff so ill keep it short. The star friends work day and night to keep you entertained and do so very well. Always smiling and meeting people and getting people involved. they are a great piece of the iberstar. the wait and bar staff are also top notch. they worked hard to keep drinks full and tables clean. The bar would get crowded at times but there never was a real wiat.

Food- its true it is repetative but how many options can you have. the buffett food was good good always hot and seemed fresh. We went in to plays twice for dinner which was nice. Al a cartes- Make reservations in advance by emailing the hotel. we ate at the japanese, mexican and the steak house. the steak house was amazing and surpassed my expectations. the japanese was pretty standard table cooking show and the food was good. The mexican was just ok. the one bonus was it had air conditioning.

HEAT- if you are there in the summer be prepared for the heat 24 hours a day. the only real escape is the computer room, the disco and your own room. There are fans but they dont move the air around so it sticky hot even at night time. it felt like there was no escape at times as even the buffett and a few theme restraunts are open air.

overall- id go back to this resort and its really the beach and the staff that would have me coming back. It is a truly beautiful resort and playacar is a great area and very safe. We did no excursions but did take a cab in to playa del carmen to nights which was a blast. We ate and shopped and watched soccer with the locals. Also got massages 20$ (USD) for 70min you cant beat that.

If you are considering playa del carmen consider this resort you cant beat the location, the people or the price.

Room Tip: Block 14 Jungle View for chance to see monkeys and its centerally located
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GoCanes737
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for your detailed comments and observations on our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal that always help us to maintain the quality of services that guests like you deserve.

We value your kind comments regarding your quick check in, cozy room and its amenities.

We are sorry to read, however, that you did not feel comfortable at your bed. We would like to mention that we have replaced all the mattresses of the resort to softer, pillow top mattress thanks to our guests' recommendations. Additionally, our guests are able to request an extra pillow top to our housekeeping, we apologize if this information was not provided.

We are thrilled to know that you loved to relax at our large pool area and our paradisiacal beach. Our beach bar is a great option to cool down while you are enjoying the sun. It is really good to know that you enjoyed the privacy of our adult swim up bar; it is definitely the perfect place to enjoy a refreshing drink.

Regarding our gastronomy, we are pleased to know that we were able to offer a great culinary experience at our buffets and a la carte Steak House and Japanese restaurants, however we regret if you felt that the food was repetitive and if our Mexican restaurant did not surpass your expectations. Our Executive Chef tries to offer the best variety to our guests; your feedback will be redirected to him, in order to make further improvements.

Thank you for your praise about our entertainment, bar and waiting staff, they do an outstanding job to make sure that our guests have a great time. Your recognition is appreciated.

It would be great to welcome you back in the near future and have the pleasure to host you again at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Four of us stayed for 10 days in June. I was worried about it being the rainy season but we had perfect weather...only 45 minutes of rain the entire time. The staff is wonderful. The hotel is not new but they have done a good job keeping it updated and it was very clean. The grounds are beautiful and all the jungle animals add a little something special. The beach is gorgeous but was rather rough. I have been to Playa in June before and the water was calm that time. My only complaint was that they had no air on in the theater...the duct work is there but nothing was running. I know it is expensive to just let cold air run in the open. But we left shows early or did not go at all as it is not my idea of fun to get dressed up and then sit a sweat. But we all thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Tucan and I would come back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Winddancer19
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

We sincerely thank you for sharing your travel experience at our beautiful resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We are delighted to know that you were at our property for 10 days and had a fantastic stay.

Thank you for your lovely words about our well kept resort. Our exceptional staff works really hard to ensure that all areas are immaculate and our guests well served.

On the other hand, we are sorry to read that you were unable to go to our night shows because of the heat, our theatre was projected to make the breeze go through the area, your suggestion has been forwarded to the Management to look for improvements.

We look forward to seeing you again and welcome you back to IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Napa, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just got back from a 9 day stay in Iberostar Tucan. I want to start by saying that the grounds are very well kept and the jungle like pathway is awesome. The beach is definitely the high light of the place. Words cannot describe how beautiful this is. Waves are small, you can be way in and its not deep. perfect for people with family. Star friends are great too! I enjoyed water aerobics with Mauricio everyday. He has so much great energy that its hard to not to be infected with his great attitude. Loved my water aerobics! Overall a great place to stay in terms of what I just described.

Now on to the negatives...THE FOOD! The food was just food! nothing worth raving about. Got very tired of it after the first meal. Everyday it was THE SAME THING! If this place had better food i would definitely come back but i wont because my family and i did not enjoy the food at all. I've been to other all inclusive so i know what to expect but this place was lacking a lot more. Iberostar needs to improve the quality of their food and provide more variety.

To wrap it up I'd say if you dont mind eating the same thing every day or care about the quality of the food then stay here! Beach is amazing so it makes up for it.

Room Tip: Building 11 is close to the beach
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank marissa s
Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal we would like to thank you for sharing your observations and suggestions regarding our resort.

It was an honor for us to have welcomed you for 9 days at our property. We appreciate your remarks about our grounds and beautiful tropical jungle. Our beach is really astonishing, we are glad that you liked it.

We are very excited to know that you participated in some of the activities offered by our entertainment team “Star Friends”, we will make sure they receive your compliments, especially Mauricio.

On the other hand, we are deeply sorry to hear that your culinary experience with us did not meet your expectations. However we are always working on improving the different gastronomic options offered at our buffets and a la carte restaurants, so we will share your comments with our Chef so he can look for improvements and enhance the quality that appreciated guests like you deserve.

We wish you might consider giving us another opportunity to host you in the near future to experience all the positive changes made based on our guests recommendations with the intention of enhancing our facilities.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My new wife and i choose Iberostar Tucan after much deliberation, for our honeymoon and it was indeed a once in a lifetime experience. This resort was Beautiful however we personal felt the Quetzal side was the prettier. It was very difficult to get reservations for the A La Carte restraints which was a little frustrating so do plan and book early (we we advised 48 hours in advance however it is more like 4 days.) Our biggest gripe was that although it was our honeymoon (and the venue was informed of this by our travel agent) there was no effort to make this holiday extra special. We were given a bowl of fruit and some t shirts and any real romantic gesture were an extra cost. I know we shouldn't expect upgrade but it would be nice to think that they are making an effort. The room we were given was in block 17 and although it was nice, we would have preferred either a jungle view or beach view (however we were told beach view was an extra cost.)
In conclusion i think if you are going with that someone special and you can afford to upgrade the level of service you get with this is well worth it.
A special holiday but not perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for beach or jungle
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Stuart L
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for such special occasion. We are much honored to know that you enjoyed our beautiful resort.

We apologize about the difficulties encountered to make your dinner reservations; our guests are able to make their reservation before arrival by sending an email to our Public Relations Department.

We are sorry to read that our amenities did not please you, and we would like to take this opportunity to inform you that additional amenities other than the standard are usually organized by our guests' travel agency. We appreciate your suggestion and we will forward it to the Management for further improvements.

Last but not least, our Front Desk team do their best to fulfill our guests’ requests but they are subject to availability, and at times, depending on occupancy, it is harder to grant special requests. We are very sorry about your disappointment.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide and show you that we really care about our customers' satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!