Came back yesterday.We would return tomorrow . Booked with Thompson for 11 days and stayed with our 2 nearly adult children in 2 rooms. Real Mexican flavour to the surroundings unlike many other luxury hotels in the area which look like they could be anywhere. The wildlife (monkeys in the trees every day, and sometimes on top of buildings , peacocks roaming , Agoutis, Iguanas etc ) and style of property were part of the reason we chose it as well as proximity to the beach and location generally, The staff were exceptional and customer service was something I couldn't fault. Not sure what previous reviewer means about drinks but everything we wanted was available and and served with very friendly attitude. The food in the buffet restaurant was extremely varied and of high quality, lots of international, seafood, grill, and Mexican options every day with many things freshly prepared as you waited ( tortillas,omlettes, etc) There was such variety that we didn't bother with other restaurant bookings throughout our stay as the flexibility and quality in the buffet was very high. Spa was very nice had a massage in jungle area of grounds(could choose beach ,poolside or spa building too) which was beautiful and relaxing - if a little bit more than Id pay in the UK
Other things I think are important when choosing my holiday are:
Cleanliness- exceptional everywhere from beautifully tiled pool toilets to rooms /bathrooms.
Proximity to beach - right on a beautiful stretch of beach with jet-skis ,paragliding , sea canoes , and catamarans for hire.
Close to a few shops etc so we can wander somewhere in evenings - Playacar is small (25 stalls/shops) but great (we chose to buy all our Mexican silver there) and everyone much more pleasant than 5th Ave where its all a bit high pressure sales and really like Turkey,
Good base for a couple of interesting excursions - brilliant for Chichen Itza - organised trip Thompsons - good value (even compared to local providers) early start but must see . Short taxi ride from Akumal -snorkel with sea Turtles in the wild - not captive ( highlight for family )and really close to Eco parks etc - didn't try them looked a bit too zoo like but very popular .
All staff, gardeners, cleaners, bar and waiting were very polite and friendly . 'Star Friends' entertainment were brilliant always working very hard and seemed genuinely to enjoy their jobs. Cant say much about evening entertainment as we only went a couple of times but the standard of musicians / singers /performers was excellent and the Mayan part of one show was brilliant . regularly saw traditional Mexican 7 piece band playing around restaurants inc buffet .
Some areas aren't air conditioned as they are covered but open air (reception ,entertainment theatre ,restaurants) there are overhead fans but it can get a little warm with lots of people . I would highly recommend this hotel for its atmosphere , food ,location, cleanliness, and staff !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. Specially recommended for honeymooners. Varied, colourful entertainment programme. Large pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Easy Market Spa, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Stayforlong S.L., Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Tucan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Tucan Mexico
- Iberostar Tucan Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Iberostar
- Iberostar Tucan Quetzal
- Iberostar Tucan Playacar
- Iberostar Tucan Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen