“A Fantastic Hotel with exceptional staff ,food ,location,and wildlife”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #51 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Came back yesterday.We would return tomorrow . Booked with Thompson for 11 days and stayed with our 2 nearly adult children in 2 rooms. Real Mexican flavour to the surroundings unlike many other luxury hotels in the area which look like they could be anywhere. The wildlife (monkeys in the trees every day, and sometimes on top of buildings , peacocks roaming , Agoutis, Iguanas etc ) and style of property were part of the reason we chose it as well as proximity to the beach and location generally, The staff were exceptional and customer service was something I couldn't fault. Not sure what previous reviewer means about drinks but everything we wanted was available and and served with very friendly attitude. The food in the buffet restaurant was extremely varied and of high quality, lots of international, seafood, grill, and Mexican options every day with many things freshly prepared as you waited ( tortillas,omlettes, etc) There was such variety that we didn't bother with other restaurant bookings throughout our stay as the flexibility and quality in the buffet was very high. Spa was very nice had a massage in jungle area of grounds(could choose beach ,poolside or spa building too) which was beautiful and relaxing - if a little bit more than Id pay in the UK
Other things I think are important when choosing my holiday are:
Cleanliness- exceptional everywhere from beautifully tiled pool toilets to rooms /bathrooms.
Proximity to beach - right on a beautiful stretch of beach with jet-skis ,paragliding , sea canoes , and catamarans for hire.
Close to a few shops etc so we can wander somewhere in evenings - Playacar is small (25 stalls/shops) but great (we chose to buy all our Mexican silver there) and everyone much more pleasant than 5th Ave where its all a bit high pressure sales and really like Turkey,
Good base for a couple of interesting excursions - brilliant for Chichen Itza - organised trip Thompsons - good value (even compared to local providers) early start but must see . Short taxi ride from Akumal -snorkel with sea Turtles in the wild - not captive ( highlight for family )and really close to Eco parks etc - didn't try them looked a bit too zoo like but very popular .
All staff, gardeners, cleaners, bar and waiting were very polite and friendly . 'Star Friends' entertainment were brilliant always working very hard and seemed genuinely to enjoy their jobs. Cant say much about evening entertainment as we only went a couple of times but the standard of musicians / singers /performers was excellent and the Mayan part of one show was brilliant . regularly saw traditional Mexican 7 piece band playing around restaurants inc buffet .
Some areas aren't air conditioned as they are covered but open air (reception ,entertainment theatre ,restaurants) there are overhead fans but it can get a little warm with lots of people . I would highly recommend this hotel for its atmosphere , food ,location, cleanliness, and staff !

11  Thank rhiannon15
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to sincerely thank you for choosing our resort for your family vacation and for your review.

We are more than glad to learn that you had a wonderful stay and that you were able to feel our Mexican atmosphere. We are delighted that the style of our property, wildlife and privileged location were the main reasons for you to choose our resort.

Thank you for your praise about our exceptional staff and efficient customer service. Our entertainment team “Star Friends” works really hard to offer fun activities and wonderful night shows to our guests. We appreciate your mention about it.

Regarding our gastronomy, it is nice to read that you and your family enjoyed our large selection of quality food at the buffets. Our Executive Chef and his team are committed to offering a great variety and quality of food in order to please the different tastes of our guests. We will make sure that he receives your kind words.

Once again, thank you for your valuable review and we hope to have another opportunity to host you and your family back at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,
IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (6,873)

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Recently returned from this resort. Let me start out by saying the resort was clean and the Caribbean Sea was amazing! The food was awful and the drinks were worst. The entertainers work very hard because they are there day and night. There needs to be more to do than one show each night. There is little to no air conditioning in any of the restaurants. We were only able to make 3 reservations at the restaurants and had to do the buffet for breakfast and lunch every day and dinner for 3 nights. The steak house was the worst! I couldn't even cut my steak and they didn't even ask if I was ok. It felt like they didn't care. They already got my money. The people work very hard but there is a language barrier for sure. Iberostar is rated very high. I don't think I would ever return to iberostar. Definitely won't go back here.

5  Thank d f
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we are pleased to receive your feedback regarding your stay at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Thank you for your gentle words about our cleanliness, paradisiacal beach and our hard working staff, especially our entertainment team.

However, we are sorry to read that our gastronomy was not in accordance with your expectations. Our food products are carefully selected by our Executive Chef and our ingredients and spices are always fresh. Your valuable suggestion will help us to keep improving. Regarding our drinks, we offer a wide selection of braded national and international liquors We are sorry you were not happy with this service.

We would like to take this opportunity to clarify that the number of dining reservations at the “a la carte” restaurants is based on the number of nights of your stay. This policy is implemented to make sure that all our guests can fairly and equally enjoy our specialty restaurants. You can also enjoy our buffets, which offer a wide selection of food.

Last but not least, we are sorry to read that you felt uncomfortable in our restaurants. Our resort was designed to be integrated into nature, and some of our restaurants and areas are outdoors. Your comments will be passed on to Management.

Thank you for your review and we hope to have another opportunity to host you again at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and show you the improvements that we make, thanks to the valuable feedback of our guests.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at Sandos Playacar (right next door to Iberostar Tucan) in April 2014. I stayed at Iberostar Tucan for 5 nights July 11th-16th. I visited Iberostar Cozumel for the day on July 13th (It is free to go to Iberostar Cozumel from 9-6 any day if you are staying at Tucan).

HIGHLY RECOMMEND - Take a day trip to Cozumel. The ferry leaves from Playa Del Carmen almost every hour. The cost is approximately $25 per person round trip. Rent a car and take a trip to the South point of Cozumel. Stop at Senor Iguanas for Lunch and travel and make many stops along the way. My girlfriend and stopped half way on the trip on the beach where we basically had a private beach. A man made area with shade was waiting for us to enjoy. We were able to skinny dip and have the most amazing private time there. The waves are huge. Some rocks in the water so not ideal for swimming. After our several stops to eat, enjoy the beach and have some drinks, we stopped at Iberostar Cozumel.

Iberostar Cozumel - The resort is a little prettier than IB Tucan.

Key Differences - Iberostar Tucan has a huge amazing beach with no rocks anywhere. There are small/medium waves that everyone enjoys and most people hang out on the beach and in the water. IB Cozumel has a smaller and quieter beach. There are rocks/coral everywhere in the water. You can not enjoy the water unless you go down the dock and snorkel. The kids looked somewhat bored as they could only walk up to the edge of the water and couldn't go in. A couple people were walking in the water and were having a lot of trouble. You would need water shoes but still lame.

The pool is nice at both places. The swim up bar is in the main pool in Cozumel and there is a separate pool at Tucan.

Tucan has a beautiful Jungle in the middle with more animals. Tucan is beautiful but I would say Cozumel is a little more scenic.

If I were to pick one of the resorts to stay at it would definitely be Tucan. I much rather go in the ocean then spend the entire day in the pool. Tucan is bigger and a bit louder (better for kids) but even on a trip with my girlfriend, I prefer Tucan.

MAJOR TIP: WiFi - You do NOT get free WiFi at the Tucan (or Cozumel). When staying at the Tucan, if you go down to the beach and go over closer to Sandos (which is the next resort if you walk right on the beach), you can get free WiFi there. We used that every day and it was free.

Either resort you stay at, go to the other for the day to change it up. You can eat at the buffet, get the free drinks and enjoy the different location.

One major difference between traveling in April vs July was there was some seaweed in the water in July and in April there was absolutely none.

The Tucan was fantastic. nice room with big king size bed. We had building 13 which was perfect. Right next to the pool and the beach and it was far enough away from where the Star Friends had their nightly shows.

At 10:30 and 3:30 every day there is scheduled beach volleyball which was always very fun.

at 4:00 there is Zumba which many people loved.

We took a walk to the Ferry on the beach and it took 40 minutes.

I would say that Sandos and Tucan were pretty similar in quality. Sandos was a little more romantic, larger, smaller rooms and buffets were similar. The Japanese place at Tucan was AMAZING. The steak house was pretty good too.

Suggestions: email Tucan before arriving to schedule your dinners (you get 2 for a 5 night stay). Also you can request what you want for a room. I requested a room with a king size bed, balcony and building 12 or 13 and I got everything I asked for!

Tucan was great. I would pick Sandos Playacar or Tucan over IB Cozumel. I would probably not go back just to see the variety of other resorts BUT I would highly recommend going there!!

Bring your own sun screen as it costs over $20 for a bottle.

Thanks Tucan!!

Room Tip: Building 12 and 13 are good. close to food, pool and beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Zak T

Dear guest,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for being guest at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for your vacation at the sunny Riviera Maya.

We are very pleased to know that you also had the opportunity to visit our other hotel IBEROSTAR at Cozumel.

Thank you for your kind words about our breathtaking beach; it is an honor to have such an astonishing beach for our beloved guests to enjoy. We are also very glad to know that you also loved our tropical atmosphere with wildlife roaming free in our grounds.

Furthermore, we are thrilled to know that our Front Desk team was able to fulfill your room request , so you had a comfortable stay. Our “Star Friends” entertainment team will be very pleased to know that you participated in some of their activities, such as volleyball.

Last but not least, our Executive Chef and his team will feel very honored to know that you enjoyed a great culinary experience at our Japanese and Steak House a la carte restaurants.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you again for another relaxing holiday at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Just back and glad I picked this hotel, as you get what it states in the brochure (travelled with First Choice), did panic when everyone on coach got off at the different Ruis leaving the 2 of us the only ones staying at Tucan!

I loved the Mexican feel you got as soon as you checked in, so many interesting features, walkways and plenty wildlife to see. It was easy to get around..stayed in block 13 and perfect position. The rooms are a good size, beds comfy, everything you would need, even a brolley. A good hair dryer (a rare thing in hotels!) They could do with a make over as a bit worn looking here and there which slightly lets it down. as every where else maintained to a high standard throughout hotel. Better quality balcony furniture!

The food is pretty good for AI, enough choice, pretty bland to look at presentation wise.
Great choice of drinks they will make to your liking and found all the staff friendly, helpful and nothing too much trouble. They work so hard and always smiling. The pool is amazing gets very warm by afternoon considering the size and depth in areas. Plenty sun loungers best positions gone by 8am and plenty on the beach. The beach is to die for soft white sand and the clean turquoise sea. Heaven!

Plenty activities all day if you wanted or relaxing enough to chill out. A mix of nationalities which I like, kids, couples of all ages. There is nothing I could complain about and well worth staying.

Main town short taxi and great fun if fancy a change of scenery. .

3  Thank kimB282

Dear guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your taking the time to write such detailed observations regarding your stay at our resort.

We value your remarks about our warm Mexican welcome and our tropical atmosphere, and very happy that you had a comfortable stay and liked your room amenities.

Regarding our cuisine, our Executive Chef will be very pleased to know that you were satisfied with our wide selection of food. Moreover, it is great to know that our drinks were a highlight to you and we appreciate your kind words about our exceptional staff, large pool area and relaxing beach.

On the other hand, we are sorry to read that you felt our premises were a bit worn. Our resort has a tropical concept, particular from this region. Additionally, we appreciate your suggestion regarding the balcony furniture and we will make sure to forward it to the Management.

We hope you give us the honor of welcoming you again at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Great stay! Hotel is not too large or small...just right! Beautiful beach. Loved the wildlife! Pool was too warm. Specialty restaurants tend to push the sale of wine. Be sure to bring extra sun screen as the hotel and shops in Playa overcharge...approx $22.00 US for one bottle!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
4  Thank Glenn M
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations regarding our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We appreciate your praise about our resort, astonishing beach and Mexican wildlife.

On the other hand, we apologize for any discomfort encountered at the a la carte restaurants; this matter has been forwarded to the Food & Beverage Manager to review this with the staff, as we would not want to make our guests uncomfortable.

It would be a pleasure to serve you and your family again at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Myself and my wife have just got back from a two week stay at the tucan .I would like to begin by saying I've stayed at this hotel three times before and never been disappointed it's a great location ,the beach is lovely .I have always found the staff to be great can't say enough good things about them . I didn't experience any problems booking the Ala carte restaurants but found the buffet to be good food as well no complaints with either . The rooms are a bit dated but who spends there holiday in the room . Overall I had a great time and would like to thank all the staff of the Iberostar Tucan for making my holiday special I hope to return in the not to distant future

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Carl H

Dear guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you very much for choosing our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Your insightful comments are gratefully received, especially for choosing us for the fourth time and remain in your preference to enjoy your holidays in the beautiful Riviera Maya.

We value your praise about our hard working staff, privileged location and paradisiacal beach.

Additionally, your great remark about our gastronomy at the a la carte restaurants and buffets will be highly appreciated by our Executive Chef and his team.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back soon for the fifth time at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Quality manager

Reviewed 16 July 2014

12 of us stayed here at the end of May for a family wedding (the wedding was not at this resort, but at a condo) and we picked this location since it was close to the condo and that it seemed to be very family friendly.

The resort is HUGE, my husband and I have stayed at two other Iberostars and they were much smaller than this one. Our room was different from my parents, we had a king and a smaller sitting area where they had two queen beds (And a HUGE Thank You for the complimentary bottle of Tequila, we greatly appreciate it!!). Both rooms were very nice and clean and we loved the multiple Monkey sightings. We thought we wouldn't like the separate buildings instead of a huge hotel complex, but it didn't make a difference at all and in fact it was nice walking through the resort and seeing all the different buildings.

The pool is really, really, REALLY big and it never gets crowded. The star friends are definitely active during the Water Aerobics and the Magic Carpet ride game. I did both and it was a blast. I will say, at the lower end of the pool, the one closest to the resort and adult pool bar, it is pretty deep. I am not used to treading water at a hotel pool, but it didn't matter since we were usually at the beachy end. Speaking of the beach, its gorgeous and its choppy, but it was like our own wave pool, so we loved it.

The food was good, I have had better at other Iberostar's but we also didn't pay much to stay here, so I was completely fine with that. The food at the Japanese and Tropical restaurants were great and we left insanely full. Breakfast is amazing here, lots to choose from and I loved the juices.

And lastly, all of the wildlife -- it was purely spectacular. I loved running into peacocks, lizards, etc. They are used to people so they would never harm anybody, and in fact, the baby peacocks will lounge around the lobby area at night for a late night snack of popcorn. The best was when we would have monkey's on our balcony. I never went outside to touch them, but to see them was great.

We just LOVE Iberostar and recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Deej R

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It is a pleasure for us to welcome loyal guests from our chain, like you. We are very pleased to know that you were very satisfied with your comfortable room and its amenities. Moreover, we are glad that you were able to relax at our large pool or under the sun at our astonishing beach.

Our entertainment team “Star Friends” do an outstanding job offering fun activities to our beloved guests; we are glad that you participated in the water aerobics and magic carpet ride.

With regard to our cuisine, we value your comments about our Japanese and Tropical a la carte restaurants and also our delicious breakfast with fresh juices at our buffets. We also appreciate your kind words to our amazing fauna; it is a privilege to receive the visit of the howler monkeys at your balcony.

It was a pleasure to have served you and your group and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.