“Restored my faith in Mexico”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #40 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Wood Ridge, New Jersey
“Restored my faith in Mexico”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I've vacationed in Mexico a few times and have never been too impressed. This was my first visit to PDC and it wont be my last. My boyfriend and I stayed Sunday to Sunday which was just enough time. I could have easily stayed a few more days before I got sick of this resort. The staff is a pleasure. Very nice, attentive, professional and do not stop working. The resort is very clean and the grounds are well maintained.
When we checked in at the Tucan after a very long delayed flight to Cancun and a 45min van ride to the hotel we were nervous to see what kind of room we'd get. Initially we were told there were no more rooms other than the one they'd given us a ground level pretty far from the pool, ocean or Jungle. After a few minutes of searching they were able to come up with a room in building 21 on the top floor with partial ocean, pool and jungle views. I was very happy seeing as I was celebrating my birthday and wanted everything to be special. What I didn't realize is that the resort is actually broken into two Tucan and Quetzal. We stayed on the Quetzal side which had all the same all inclusive amenities and 100% access to the Tucan side as well. When we got situated in the room I found it to be average. It accommodated us fine. Nice king bed, good size bathroom (minor thing the door opens/closes awkwardly), a day bed & nice balcony. The one thing I found odd was that there was no storage, no dressers. Just the closet with a few hangers and a couple shelves. I basically took up all that and my boyfriend lived out of a suitcase. I cant imagine having a full family in tow with no storage. One could argue how much time do you really stay in the room- not much- but it's still inconvenient.
As for the good stuff.... the ocean was incredible! Water was perfect, white sand, always had chairs, tons of activities. There were a few different pools. The main pool was warm which I loved but my boyfriend didn't find it to be refreshing. It was also kind of deep so if you arent a great swimmer, which Im not, flotation devices are a must. There's also a kiddie pool and an adult's only pool where we spent most of our time. Note for future guests- don't be that family who smuggles your kid into the adult pool. Its annoying an inconsiderate to the rest of us and they'll be asked to leave.
As for activities there is always something going on. Alongside the pools are calendars of all the water activities. Throughout the hotel there are calendars for the nightly entertainment. Everything is very interactive and I was pretty impressed on how theatrical these performers were. If that's not your thing then just take a walk around the jungle its pretty awesome. So many different birds, rodents, monkeys, turtles, iguanas. There was something new we found every day. Truly beautiful & peaceful. Which reminds me... I got a massage in the jungle which was quite an experience. MariCruz was awesome. Between jungle sounds and her massage I was in heaven.
As for the food with any all inclusive if your drinks not strong enough just ask. It also helps to tip they remember you and its typically the same bartenders. The 2 buffets within the hotel and the poolside buffet were great. I favored the poolside buffets breakfast. There are 5 restaurants in the hotel you must make your reservations in advance and can only do 3 at a time. So we opted for the Japanese (Bonsai), Mexican (La Hacienda) and Fish ( La Tropical) restaurants. We lucked out on our last night we were able to be squeezed in to the steak house (La Marimba). Bonsai had a great hibachi display the food was good not great. I was very happy with my meal at La Hacienda and didnt care much for La Tropical. La Marimba was my favorite. The quality was excellent. They also have an Italian restaurant but we're from NJ so we didnt want to even bother. The in room dining was a very limited menu but mostly because you can literally eat around the clock at this place. Room service is pretty obsolete.
We went into town twice once to eat at a local place- El Fogon- it was off the beaten path but worth the trip. The Second time we ventured out to walk on 5th window shop and stop at a few bars. Pez Vela was cool the bar stools are swings. Worth the visit. We always felt safe which was my primary concern. Im looking forward to heading back in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jami0804
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for sharing this detailed comment about your recent vacation at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in the Riviera Maya, Mexico. We are proud to have contributed to restoring your faith in Mexico as the title of your comment indicated.

We are honored by your positive ratings due to our extraordinary staff; they always try to accommodate every single wish of our beloved guests.
In addition, we are glad to read that our Front Desk team was able to provide you with a room that had met your expectations and created beautiful birthday memories.

Our rooms are nice and accommodating, nevertheless your recommendation about the dressers is welcomed and we will forward it to our Management.

Furthermore, we are glad that you enjoyed our different pools and our entertainment program. We would like to inform you that the swim-up bar is only for adults, so that they can have their own space and the right atmosphere.

Regarding the jungle, we are glad that you were able to experience the unique flora and fauna we have the privilege to live with.

To sum up, we cannot wait to welcome you back in the future.

Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Buford, GA
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our fourth Iberostar stay, but first time at the Tucan. It's a little smaller than some of the others, but we really like that. Some of the facilities are a little smaller too, but they still aren't crowded. The walk through the "jungle" paths up to the common areas is really interesting. You will see several types of animals on the ground and in the trees. The staff is great, ( an Iberostar trademark), and always eager to please.

For stays of only three or four days, it's probably best to just enjoy all the resort has to offer, but if you are staying longer, plan to spend at least one day in Playa del Carmen. A 20 minute walk or $7 cab ride gets you to a neat little tourist town with some really good restaurants and lots of interesting shops. The town stays open late, so you can also wait and go in after dinner.

Check out some of the tours of local attractions as well, but be sure to deal with a reputable vendor. The Mayan ruins are marvelous pieces of history, and the cenotes are intriguing. All in all, the vacation is wonderful and restful, but you can make it even more memorable with a few carefully selected trips off the resort.

Room Tip: Beachfront suites cost extra but the view is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Bufordsightseer
Dear guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to write this wonderful review about your last trip to IBEROSTAR Tucan& Quetzal.

We are very grateful for being part of your fourth IBEROSTAR experience and we are glad to know that you spent some fantastic days exploring our breathtaking jungle and animals like monkeys and iguanas.

Also, we feel honored to know that you enjoyed the friendliness and hospitality of all our staff members. At IBEROSTAR, we always try to make our guests feel welcomed and invite them to be part of the IBEROSTAR family.

We would be more than happy if you chose IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal to spend another great holiday in our resort that exemplifies the lovely Mexican Culture and landscape.

Best regards,
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 10 August 2014

First time at an all inclusive (besides a cruise ship). We especially loved the Monkeys, beach and the very large pool. The concierge at the front desk name Bernardo on a scale of 1 to 10. He is a number 12. He help make our stay special.
The only things i would recommend is to…extend pool hours longer and add an express lane at the front desk (sometime it was a much too long wait to get simple information if a multiple check in or out were before you). More fans in non air-conditioned inside locations. And of course if you have to pay for WIFI up to say 4 devises in your room should be able to receive signal.
Overall the food was very very good. Most staff was extremely accommodating. Particularly if you have children you will all love this place. We just returned home and I already miss the Tucan.

Room Tip: Building 11, 12, 13, 14 all great but any location has it's advantages.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank DavidMitchell97
Dear guest,

First and foremost, thank you for taking your valuable time in order to post this excellent comment about your last trip to IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal. We feel honored to know that you chose us to stay for your first time in an all-inclusive resort.

Your nice words about our howler monkeys, the beautiful Caribbean beach and our pool, makes us feel very proud to have the privilege to provide our guests with such a wonderful setting.

In addition, we would like to let you know that the Management has been made aware of your extraordinary reference about Bernardo from the Guests Relation Department.

We are grateful about the suggestions made. Some of them are already on the agenda of our Management.

Regarding our Wi-Fi service, this should be working in all areas of the resort, so we are sorry to read that you did not receive signal in your room. Our guests are able to contact our Guest Relation Department or Front Desk staff if problems like yours arise, so that the problem can be solved as quickly as possible.

Last but not least, we would like to thank you again and we do hope to welcome you and your family back in the near future and provide you next time with perfect holidays.

Quality Manager,
IBEROSTAR México
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We loved our stay at Iberostar Tucan, this was our third stay and this time we even brought family members with us. Everyone who works at the resort is wonderful and we want to thank each and everyone for welcoming us and being so friendly and helpful! Everyone from the front desk, waiters at the restaurants, entertainment team, beach/pool, maintance team, cleaning ladies, EVERYONE was wonderful! Special thanks to Roberto the restaurant manager who found my husband's designer glasses, immediately reported them to security and worked with the front desk to deliver them to us asap, thanks again, Roberto, we truly appreciate your help! We had an unforgettable trip with our driver Miguel, special thanks to him and also Leticia who serves the beach/pool area was so delightful and nice to talk to. We cannot wait to come back, the lovely animals at the property, the clean rooms, the delicious food that is everywhere , it is simply an unforgettable experience and we thank Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal! We are already planning our next trip next year when we can hopefully bring with us even more family members to enjoy this paradise!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank anonymousnyc2014
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our beautiful Hotels IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Your wonderful words about our staff confirm the hard work that everybody does every day in order to provide our beloved guests with memorable days. The employees that you have highlighted in your review will be congratulated by our Management. We cannot express how glad we are that you had another fantastic time at our resort due to our lovely wildlife, rooms and delicious food.

We cannot wait to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Best regards,
IBEROSTAR México
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

1st time in mexico but have previously stayed at Iberostar in Dominican Republic both the Hacidendus and Punta Cana so knew what quality holiday to expect, arrived at resort and checked in and was told what room we was staying in, was disappointed as I had requested a pool view room by e-mail direct but they had given us a jungle room, I asked straight away to be moved but they were unable to until the following day which was okay, we made out way to the temporary room and was so pleased that we had asked to move, it was very dark and it had an interconnecting door which was unlocked at the time so we could just walk into next door which was occupied! it smelt musky but luckly it was just for 1night only, the next morning we was woken by the monkeys which was to see them in the trees but we was glad that we was moving. At 12 pm we got our keys to the new pool view room,The room was lovely that we moved to and then we felt our holiday had began.
Loved the pool, beach the sea although it was quite rough for the last week of our stay but had great fun jumping the waves! Food was great the we didnt eat at the mexican but we did at the others and the only restaurant we did not like was the Italian this we felt needed improving.
Entertaiment staff was great as was the evening shows. The position of the hotel you cannot fault as you are able to walk into punta cana if you wanted to or just catch a cab from the hotel or just across the road there are a few local shops to look around, my husband loves going for a run and he was able to go out of the hotel and run around the area perfectly safe. Would highly recommend the hotel to everybody

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank debbie l
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest,

First and foremost, on behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we want to express our gratitude for your detailed comments and positive observations about our resort.

We value your kind comments regarding our premises, food and the comfort offered to provide you with a very pleasant stay.

We are very glad to read that our services and the friendliness of our Star Friends' team fulfilled your expectations. We do as much as we can to integrate our guests in our friendly atmosphere and be part of our family.

We are sorry to read that you did not get assigned the room that you asked for, but it is important to mention that our rooms are subject to availability and that we are not able to guarantee any assignation prior to our guests arrival, even though we do everything we can to grand requests.

We are grateful for your nice comments regarding our beautiful beaches in the Mexican Caribbean. Our beach area is in one of the best locations in the Riviera Maya and a perfect space to swim, rest and relax surrounded by a beautiful scenery.

Once more, thank you for writing your review. We would be very happy to be given another opportunity of hosting you and your beloved family again in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed there last November. It was I believe our 7th or 8th return visit. The resort is still magical though a few things warrant improvement. IMO, the availability of shrimp and seafood has been reduced big time. Because of this the selections in all of the eateries have been reduced. This is a huge disappointment . Also, respectfully suggest that the beach loungers be power washed very soon as some are very soiled and stained. Kind of a turn off. A few days with the washer will work wonders.....Still, despite the above, enjoyed our stay at the Tucan.. We will likely return sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are awesome.. Buildings 12 and 13 great locations.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank njplayafan
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal Management, we would like to thank you for your loyalty.

We are happy to read that you still find our hotel magical, a place to spend a relaxing moment.

Regarding your comment on the shrimp and seafood selection, please be sure we will share your opinion with our Chef and his team for his consideration.

Regarding the sun beds, we are sorry about the state you found them in. Please do not hesitate that your feedback will be shared with the Department in charge to take appropriate measures to remedy this situation.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and we do hope to welcome you very soon one more time where your Mexican family awaits you.

Quality Manger
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is one of the oldest hotels in Playa del Carmen and they have the best spot on the beach. The beach was pristine and beautiful. I liked the fact that it was not over crowded and you were able to enjoy peace and quite and not be constantly bothered by vendors trying to sell you jet ski, parasailing and diving services. If you wanted the services they were accessible - but not in your face. I also liked the fact that I was able to enjoy the beach without the smell of gas from the jet ski's - which to me can ruin the entire vacation. I am not a pool person, but they did have a huge pool - it seemed as though you needed to get out there early to get a good spot though. This hotel had a lot of restaurants to choose from - I am really picky but the food was good. I would have liked to have seen more simple grilled food - like fish and chicken at the buffet, they had that at the restaurants that you needed a reservation for, but I didn't book them until later in the week. This hotel is perfectly located for shopping and site seeing - a short ride to the main strip - 5th Ave. for $7. I really liked the fact that I felt safe. I was traveling alone and never felt uncomfortable. There is only one cab company so they charged a flat rate (so you didn't feel like you were getting cheated) and there were Police protecting the tourist all around the shopping area which was nice. The service at the hotel was awesome - everyone was nice and accommodating. Whenever you wanted a cab, you just asked the bell captain out front and a cab would show up in just a few minutes. The room was nice and cleaned every day- the air conditioning wasn't super cool, but once I realized that there was also a ceiling fan and turned it on - it was fine. If you go to Playa del Carmen I would recommend this hotel. I would also recommend booking excursions. I went on two that were fabulous. The Coba Maya Encounter - all day, zip lining, swimming in the cenote (underground cave), grappling down a cliff in the jungle and kayaking. The encounter starts out with a trip to the Mayan temples where you learn about the Mayan culture and you get to climb the highest temple - totally awesome! I also went on the Jungle Maya Encounter which was only a half day. Higher zip lines, snorkeling in the cenote (best part of the trip) hiking in the jungle and grappling down a cave into the water. This is actually a National Geographic adventure and it was even better than the Coba trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

10 Thank mchachere
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Management, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and for writing this extensive and informative review about your recent holidays.

We are so glad to read that you had such wonderful holidays and that you enjoyed our breathtaking beach.

In addition, we are happy that our culinary choices were of your liking. Please be sure that we will pass your suggestion about more grilled chicken or fish at the buffets onto our Executive Chef, he is always open to improve the food selection and satisfy even more our lovely guests.

All the staff of the Front and Back Office work hard in order to provide our guests with unique and personal service, in order to reach our goal which is your entire satisfaction.

To sum up, we would like to thank you again and we hope to welcome you back for another relaxing holiday to IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal in Playa del Carmen.

Kind regards
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!