“Iberostar Tucan Mexico, First Choice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #39 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
“Iberostar Tucan Mexico, First Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

Absolutely fabulous... First time in Mexico and what a choice of hotel to make, from stepping off the transfer bus you are made welcome and for the first time in years I felt I was on holiday every day.

The staff... It has been said before, but they work tirelessly to make your stay special, nothing is too much trouble. The iberostar friends team worked hard to make everyone's stay a memorable one, what we liked was they were not pushy, included everyone but if you were happy to do your own thing they took no for an answer.

The room... We were in block 19 on the middle floor, no complaints, a few repairs needed attention on arrival but they were dealt with immediately, mini bar restocked, clean and comfy.

The Food... Several restaurants, our favourite was the Japenese, great fun and good food... Some reviews do not rate the buffet, but we had no issues, always something for everyone. Always fresh food and good choice, no queuing or crowds.

The facilities...
The gym was well equipped for holiday purposes, tennis courts, archery and Spa
The grounds were very well maintained, fantastic jungle theme, back to nature feel walking to and from the pool and beach.
The pool is huge and with careful selection you can get the right volume, the Euro mob tend to reserve beds but no need to plenty around, both poolside and on the beach.
Wifi is available at a cost, however top tip if you are block 19 overlooking the next door resort of Sandos you can, with the wind in the right direction pick up their free wifi... At night you can see the kids walking up and down the fence line updating status etc... Failing that Starbucks down the road, personally we bit the bullet and paid, fast service, which works poolside.
All non motorised water sports are included, various vendors selling parasailing, jet skis but not in your face... Only heard one Brit couple say they had some sunglasses lifted from their sun bed, more than likely a fellow guest rather than the staff, really not worth their job.

Excursions we did...

Chichen Itza - a long day but a must to do. Sergio was our guide, a mind of Mayan info.
Coba - personally if you do one Mayan temple make it this one, you can still climb the steps and well worth the sweat, the view is amazing. Roberto guided us on this tour, ladies all I can say is my wife is still in full swoon.
Xplor - you will struggle to accomplish all activities in one day, if you don't fancy zip lines don't go, go to xcaret instead... We did all the zip lines and loved them, any height phobias think twice!

As with all tours they include folk stops, cenote swims and tequila, in my mind not needed but everyone is after the whole sustainable tourism tick, the Coba Mayan village trip included on the Coba run was a kin to visiting York and popping in to visit a travellers site and seeing how the O'riellys live today, I felt I was intruding and actually on a travellers site. I am sure someone here will contradict, just a personal reflection.

Overall we will be back...

Room Tip: The blocks further away from poolside are quieter and less prone to howler monkeys awaking you at ea...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Phil H
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your first visit to Mexico.

We are thrilled with your great remarks about our well kept grounds and the beautiful tropical flora and fauna that we are privileged to have in and around our resort.

Your praise to our exceptional staff is very much appreciated and it also brings us great satisfaction to know that we exceeded your expectations in regard to customer service. Your remark reinforces our team's commitment to achieving the utmost in service.

Likewise, our team of cooks and the Executive Chef will be very excited by your recognition for our gastronomy and to know that you enjoyed our buffets and a la carte Japanese restaurant.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again to one of our resorts IBEROSTAR worldwide.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my mum and teenage sons visited for the summer. The 2 rooms were completly adequate you only sleep in them. No ants fans and air conditioning worked perfect key you only have to ask at reception and they can adjust the temperature. Food was lovely and we had no problems getting into each speciality restaurant it was quiet so maybe that's why. Beach and sea amazing star friends amazing hotel amazing. People can be so picky about such small things. Shows and detains are in a BIG board quetzal Tucan and at the pool if you don't know what is on you must walk round with your eyes closed. We had a perfect holiday and would definatley recommend.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Leeds1134
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is our 6th visit to the Riviera Maya. We have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo at Playa Paraiso, Barcelo Colonial, Grand Palladium Colonial, and twice at Iberostar Tucan. We are a family of four and have two teen sons.

We love the Playacar area most of all. The beach is the best in the Riviera Maya and it's very close to the town of Playa del Carmen.

Our family had a great time at the Ibersotar Tucan. Food was good and the service was incredible. The bed was really comfortable being the best we ever had in Mexico. Slept like a baby. Employees were all helpful and made our stay wonderful.

The only things that need room for improvement are the wifi situation and the evening alcohol. Wifi should be free considering that most all-inclusives in the area include it with your stay. Even the Sandos resort next door has their entire complex wified for free for their guests and I strongly believe the Iberostars should do the same.

As for the alcohol, I understand that no resort wants their guests drunk all day long. It could be a dangerous situation for all. However, during the evening, especially after dinner, my husband and I wanted to have a couple of drinks and get a little "buzzed". Not drunk mind you, but buzzed. We are on vacation after all and don't need to worry about drinking and driving.

We couldn't seem to even get that buzzed feeling even after requesting to make them "fuerte". A $2 tip each time didn't make a difference either. My husband even ordered four tequilla shots, and that didn't even work. Very disappointed with the evening alcohol.

Other than than those two issues, we enjoyed our stay and will definately be back to the Iberostar Tucan/ Quetzal. It is our favorite resort in Mexico. Well done Iberostar Tucan!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank Marie M
Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family holiday.

It was a honor to have welcomed you and your family for the second time at our resort. We highly value your comments about our stunning blue Caribbean ocean, tasty variety of food at our buffets and a la carte restaurants and the excellent service provided by our staff that characterizes our chain all over the world.

We are very pleased to know that you had a very pleasant stay in our cozy rooms; and we would like to take this opportunity to mention that we recently replaced all the mattresses to pillow top mattress thanks to our guests’ recommendations so it is great to know that you slept very well.

Concerning the Wi-Fi service, we would like to mention that following our guests’ suggestions we recently invested in this service, to provide it in all areas of the resort at accessible prices. Please rest assured that we value your suggestion and we will share it with our Management for further improvements.

Last but not least, we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed about our beverages. Our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager will be informed about your feedback.

It was a pleasure to have served you and your family and we are looking forward to hosting you back again soon for another memorable family vacation at our resort.

Best regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We are staying at the Iberostar Tucan since August 19th. We are here until Sept 2nd. The resort if very nice. The beach is beautiful and the hotel grounds are beautiful. My daughter loves all the wildlife walking around. The Star Friends are "excellente" and they keep you busy and active if you want to be. Everyone is extremely friendly. The entertainment at night is very good, better than other resorts that we have stayed at in Mexico and Dominican Republic. This is our first stay at an Iberostar resort. Now here are the negatives. Like other reviews stated there are lots of ants in the room. My wife is killing them every morning and night. But I can live with that. You are kinda in a jungle. But the worst thing for me is the buffets. I sit at breakfast and watch as the black birds just jump in the fruit and food dishes at will and take off with food. I actually watched a bird land in a bowl of fruit this morning and splash it around as if he was in a bird bath, fruit flying everywhere. The staff witnessed this and just shoed the bird off. Never changing the bowl the bird was in with all the sliced fruit. Then to make things worse I saw a bird go to the bathroom right above the French toast and pancakes. I couldn't see if it actually landed in the food but it was extremely close. I've witness birds land on people plates and eat right from them as they got up to get juice. I've seen birds at both the main buffet in the Tucan and at the buffet on the beach. I cant say anything about the other buffet since we haven't been there. Because of this I have been eating boxed cereal and a banana every morning for breakfast and have been trying to skip lunch everyday. For dinner the al a carte restaurants have been good but we have been unable to get reservations for everyday so I have already eaten outside of the resort 3 times for dinner because I will not eat at the buffet. For me when I travel food is the #1 priority for me when booking an all inclusive. It doesn't have to be gourmet but I expect it to be clean. In NY with the board of health rating system the buffets probably would have been shut down if they did not correct these issues. Because of this I would not stay at the Toucan again nor recommend it to friends or family. This experience would really make me think twice about staying at an Iberostar resorts again as well. I definitely did not get my money's worth since I hardly ate there. I would have been better off at a non all inclusive resort. It really is a shame because it really is a pretty resort with friendly staff but that cannot make up for the cleanliness of their food. Hopefully they make the necessary changes to correct this problem. They can start buy keeping the front door closed or by adding a second door to get into the buffet because that is how the birds are flying in and out right through the main entrance. Or start enclosing all of the food so birds can't walk on it. I usually don't write reviews but I had to write this one because I really wish I would have read this before booking this resort.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Vincent R
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your holiday experience at our resort.

Thank you for praising our beautiful blue ocean, fantastic tropical wildlife and the friendliness of our staff, especially our Entertainment Team “Star Friends” and their wide array of daily activities and fun night shows.

On the other hand, we would like to offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused at the buffets, this is definitely not the memory that we want our guests to take back home. We would like to take this opportunity to mention that we have been fixing the net located around the buffet and we are also looking into new methods of preventing birds from coming to the buffet restaurant. Please rest assured though, that our Health & Safety Department and our Chefs do change platters or bowls if animals pose on them or get near them. Health & Safety is a priority to us.

We sincerely hope that the last few days of your vacation here with us will change the perspective you seem to have of us.

Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan for 5 days in August 2014. This resort is very well laid out and clean. Check in took quite a bit longer than I would have expected, but wasn't bad. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. We received good service at the lobby bar on both sides (you can also go to the adjoining Iberostar). The night club was not impressive, but we didn't go here to hang out a a night club, so that didn't really matter. The beach is incredible here. The water is so electric blue, I couldn't believe it. This resort by far has the best beach set up of anywhere in Playa Del Carmen. We had a huge amount of natural palm umbrellas with chairs in front of the resort to choose from. We were able to find a place everyday, beach front. You do want to get out to the beach early though, by 8:30 all the prime spots are taken. We had a couples massage while here on the beach which was very relaxing, but on the expensive side. Food at this resort is pretty good. We had two reservations while here at the Japanese restaurant and the Italian restaurant. The Japanese Hibachi was very good. Skip the Italian. We made sure to tip our maid well and our fridge was restocked almost everyday, which is more frequent than advertised. The monkeys, tucans, parrots, peacocks, etc on the resort add another neat, unique aspect. The rooms are adequate and comfortable. I will go back to this resort in the future for sure. One important thing I will mention - IF you go into town to 5th Avenue, take PESOS! We were totally screwed on a dinner one evening, as the restaurant made up their own exchange rate, which ended up costing each couple another 20-30 dollars. It was very frustrating! Also, know exactly where you want to be dropped off on 5th Ave if you are going, our cab driver dropped us off at the very south end, when he knew our restaurant was at the north end of the avenue. We had to walk a very long way through a bunch of store owners/vendors in your face before getting to our restaurant. Check out was quick and easy and took 5 minutes tops. We used apple vacations and all our transportation went exactly as expected with no trouble.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HRN95
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and for sharing your observation.

We value your comments about our well-maintained grounds, unique tropical wildlife, excellent service and friendly staff. Our stunning beach is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the beautiful Caribbean ocean; we are very pleased to know that you liked it. Furthermore, it is great to read that you had the opportunity to be given a relaxing couple massage at the beach.

Regarding our gastronomy, we are very excited to learn that we exceeded your expectations at our a la carte Japanese restaurant; however, we regret that the Italian restaurant did not live up to the same experience.

It was a pleasure to have served you and we are looking forward to hosting you again soon at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Exeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We loved staying in the Iberostar! The hotel as a whole had a wonderful atmosphere! We were lucky enough to wake up the first night to see a monkey on our balcony. You could often see Agouti, Peacocks and a variety of other birds around the hotel which added charm and was a delight to see. The pool is a decent size and great that the beach is only a short walk! If you walk further up the beach is less hectic! Great location for all our adventuress activities! We enjoyed staying in small buildings with thatched roofs rather than a lunch box high rise building! The hotel provided friendly service and food/drink available at any time required. We also did a bit of Diving while through the Dressel Divers at the Hotel. The Diving team were very supportive and encouraging! Overall we had a lovely stay and would go back again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank Jetsetjade
Dear guest,

On behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your holiday in the Riviera Maya.

We are delighted with your great remarks about our resort and especially our beautiful tropical wildlife; it is truly a privilege to have howler monkeys at your balcony and we are very pleased to know that you liked this experience, which makes our hotel so special and unique.

Additionally, we appreciate your praises about our gorgeous beach, our large pool area and the wonderful service provided by our friendly staff.

We will make sure that the Dressel Divers receives your gentle words.

Once again, thank you for your feedback; we hope to be able to welcome you soon.

Sioux City, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We were at your resort August 21 thru August 25th. When we arrived we got checked in right away and taken to our room. We were given a map of the resort. After that we were on our own to find everything !! No one ever mentioned anything that was going on at the resort so while my husband was off doing scuba I sat in the room. Had I known there were activities I could have done some of them. We were never told we could sign up in advance for Ala Carte restaraunts and when we went to sign up we didnt have any choices but one ,,,, because a wedding party held more priority. There were ants all over our room and the sugar packs were full of them, couldnt have coffee till maid service brought fresh, only to return later to have more ants. We ask for extra soda in the room and got it 1 day only. Our shower was never cleaned, just towels replaced late in the afternoon. The bathroom / shower were collecting spots for mosquitoes. Was not impressed with all the bird droppings all over and never cleaned off. The ocean in which you have no control over was disgusting. We paid more to come to the Iberostar than we would have paid to go to several other resorts in Riviera Maya. Not one person ask how our stay was, instead it was see how quickly you can get people out of there. The food was ok as far as the buffet, there was a large selection to choose from. Very disappointed as I feel for what we spent to stay there was a let down, expected more from Iberostar. If and when we return to Riviera Maya I will be looking for a different resort.

Room Tip: You dont get a choice they are assigned
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank luvnjamiaca2013
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Tucan Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your valuable feedback, this will allow us to improve constantly our service and enhance our guests’ holiday experience.

We are thankful for your praise about our wide selection of food at the buffets but we are deeply sorry to learn about your disappointment regarding your stay with us.

We regret that our staff did not inform you about the activities organized at our hotel during the check-in, our guests always receive a booklet with information about our entertainment activities as well as information about our dinner reservations. In addition, our Front Desk Team and Public Relation Service remain at the disposal of our lovely guests during their stay and are always happy to help them for any questions.

Furthermore, given that we are in a native jungle, so animals like ants are not avoidable but this is no excuse for the fact that our staff did not notice them. We offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we would like to inform that you we do spray regularly in order to avoid this kind of situation.

To put it in a nutshell, please accept our sincerest apology for your disappointing experience; this is certainly not the holiday experience that we would like to offer our guests, especially for such a special occasion as your 33rd anniversary. Please, rest assured that all the matters mentioned will be shared with our Management for further improvements.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and recover your trust, showing you the great service we are capable of offering.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,736 reviews

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!