“fun fun fun :)”

GreenLeadersGold level
Victoria, Canada
“fun fun fun :)”
Reviewed 23 February 2009

My friend and I recently stayed 7 nights at the Iberostar Tucan. In summary we had an awesome time!! 90% of that was due to the wonderful staff there. Front desk staff were nice. You can exchange money there for pesos (however, you cannot exchange for anything else ie. you can't exchange pesos back into american dollars or canadian dollars into american dollars etc).
Our rooms weren't ready yet when we arrived at around 11:30 a.m. Not a huge deal. We went kept ourselves occupied at the lunch buffet on the Quetzal side until the room was ready. Food there was decent. I'd say buffets in Las Vegas were better but the food here was still good. The wait staff was again very friendly. (On a side note, we didn't discover the poolside/beachside restaurant until late in our week there but i wish we had - i think i enjoyed the food there more - i don't remember the name but it was outdoors and very very close to the beach and the ice cream stand). If I had to do the week over again, one of the things I'd do is have breakfast there every morning. Good food and near the beach - how much better could that get? It also had yummy food for lunch too!) We had about an hour to wait and our bags were delivered about 15 minutes after we found our room. Not a luxury resort I don't think but our room was very (and always) clean and with cute bright colors. Lots of space - enough for the both of us (2 girls with big pieces of luggage and lots of stuff). The bathroom was very spacious in my opinion (I especially liked the huge shower and the big counter where the sink was - again lots of space for 2 girls with lots of stuff)! Sometimes I found that the water just didn't want to get hot...just to lukewarm and stayed there. It only happened a few times though. There was a fridge in our room with coke and beer and bottled water which came in super handy for those excursion days. The guest services brochure in the room said that the fridge would be restocked every 2 days but we noticed that it was restocked daily which we really appreciated. It was hot out and we did alot of walking on excursions and the water really came in handy. Midway through the week, cleaning staff left a small complimentary bottle of Tequila for us with a nice note. First time for us to try tequila. We weren't big fans of it but it was still appreciated. Once we ventured out of the room, the first thing we noticed was the friendliness of the staff that were doing things around the resort grounds. Nobody passed you by without a smile and a "hola". We weren't really used to that but before long we were saying "Hola" to everyone too :) First place we went to was the beach (my friend and I LOVE the beach). It was really nice except for these large "rocks" that looked randomly placed in shallow parts of the water. Turns out they were huge sandbags placed in the water to prevent erosion of the beach. I know that they serve an important purpose but still, I thought they were a total eyesore and the beach would have been much prettier without them. Otherwise the water was beautiful (light blue-ish green on a sunny day) and the sand was very soft. Most days the beach was pretty crowded so if you are looking for a quiet vacation on the beach, this place may not be for you. However, we loved it. We met people from all over the world and it was fun trying to communicate. Everyone was super friendly. Water was a little bit cold all week. We spent the first 2 days mainly hanging around the resort, looking around, figuring out where things were (can be confusing at first with getting the Quetzal and the Tucan sides straight), and figuring out activities that we wanted to attend. There were things like ping pong, pool games, games on the beach, yoga classes, stretching classes, dance classes. The only activities that we participated in were the dart throw on the beach (you can win prizes!), stretching, and the dance classes. We wished we had been more organized and attended more activities. The dance classes were really fun...meringue and salsa were the types of dances that were taught... and we realized later that the guys teaching the dance classes were the same people in the show in the evenings. We thought that was cool. Even though we felt kind of silly because we had very little to no dance experience of this kind, we still had alot of fun in the end. They were very encouraging, totally made it fun, and the steps were pretty simple. Its amazing that they could run these programs all through the day and still have the energy to perform in a show in the evening that lasts well past 10:30 or 11 pm. Again, super friendly, and things you tell them about yourself (where you're from, your name), the somehow amazingly remember well into the week of your stay. And they were always very happy and sociable which i found amazing considering the long hours they work. I was amazed. My friend and I felt really at home and that we had made really good friends.The shows at night were a bit cheesy but still fun. I think it wouldn't have been as fun if we didn't already "know" some of the people performing in the show. I thought that was great. The resort is about a 15 min walk I think to Playacar Plaza (where you will find some souvenir shops and a pharmacy) and about a 30-40min walk to Playa del Carmen. So location was alright. The thing i didn't like too much was the internet/computer room. There were only 2 terminals and it cost money (20 pesos for 10 minutes i think) to use. There were ALWAYS people lined up to use the computers and so the only time we found the terminals free were late into the night. They should really consider getting wireless access in the rooms or more terminals or something. Free internet would be nice too. The a la carte restaurants were alright. Food again, was decent, but not superb in my opinion but again, staff was friendly and very efficient. We went to the Italian, Japanese, and Steakhouse. The Japanese restaurant was the most entertaining with the teppanyaki but I wasn't too impressed with the sushi. The steak was OK but I've had better at the Keg. It was just a plain steak but there were no special sauces or toppings or anything. I was kind of expecting more. My friend and I love to dance. We went to the Mascara disco (on the Quetzal side) and we had a good time. they played mostly mainstream type music there which was fine with us. However, after going a few times the music got a bit repetitive. Some of the people in the show go there to dance with you afterwards. That was fun. It was effective in getting people out on the dance floor. One night we danced to the point of dripping sweat we were having so much fun. So all in all, not a luxury palace but if you're looking for good service, tons of fun, and interesting activities, this resort is a great choice. I would love to go back.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank StarGazer777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Brooks
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My husband and I spent two weeks at the Iberostar Tucan (Feb 1-15, 2009). We researched for months before choosing this resort and it was everything we wanted. The grounds were beautiful and the wildlife made every walk an adventure. We saw monkeys, peacocks, flamingos, turtles, various species of birds, etc.

The beach was beautiful and the waves were great fun to play in. Even on the days the red flags were up, we could play in the waves although on the windiest days poor swimmers or children would have found the waves too much. You could walk for a long way in both directions along the beautiful, powdery, white sand beaches. The first week we were there, there were numerous beach chairs available until at least mid-morning. The second week we were there, the hotel was busier and most of the chairs were taken or held by 8:00 or 9:00 a.m.

The service was exceptional. Check-in, food and drink servers, maid service and check-out were all efficient and friendly. Our requests were answered immediately and with a smile. The rooms were kept clean and the fridge re-stocked every other day. We had e-mailed ahead requesting a non-smoking room, not on the first floor. We were given exactly what we requested.

The food in all the restaurants was good. Lots of choices. There were numerous places to enjoy breakfast (two buffet restaurants, continental breakfast in the beach bar and buffet in steak house restaurant). Lunch was also served in two different places and supper was available in two buffet restaurants and your choice of five a la carte restaurants. There was also an ice cream bar near the beach and pool.

This is the third all inclusive we have stayed at and the shows at this hotel were by far the best we've seen. The star friends are talented, enthusiastic and hard working. We did miss a few shows as they don't start until 9:45 p.m. and if we had tours booked the next day we found the shows were too late.

This was our 25th wedding anniversary, this trip was everything we were looking for in a great vacation. We also spent considerable time away from the hotel and we enjoyed these tours as well. We went to the Tulum and Coba ruins; the Xel-ha and Xcaret eco-parks; and a sunset dinner cruise near Cancun. All were great but be sure to ask distances from the hotel because sometimes you spent more time travelling to the site than expected.

The hotel itself is in the gated resort community of Playacar and it is 1/3 of a mile walk from the hotel to the Playacar plaza and a 1.6 mile walk to Playa Del Carmen. The walk was enjoyable and safe - both during the day and at night.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Judy E
massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I may only be 15 but I just got back from staying at the iberostar tucan hotel and I'm so glad to say that it was the best week ever spent in my life. The people who work there are just so nice and the star friends were the best, they were always making sure everyone had a good time. The place was beautiful, the buffett was great. I honestly don't have one bad thing to say about this hotel. Once you get there you will never want to leave, garenteed.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank khoule
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan from January 24 th to February 8 th of this year. (Our Honeymoon). Our intial impression was "wow", and that was what we were thinking when we left.Our trip started out poorly with plane delays and we arrived 7 hrs late, however upon arrival to the resort  the beautiful lobby set us at ease. Checkin was a breeze , a cold drink, and the myan people are wonderful.The room was clean, bright and roomy. The kingsize bed was fairly hard but we adjusted fine. The maids always left some sort of towel art every day. The grounds were imaculately kept with the grounds keepers out every morning by 6:00 am. The buildings themselves are three stories high and are quite colorful. The resort is riddled with pathways that wander through a natural jungle setting, providing opportunities to view the wild life. The monkeys were something to see.The food at the resort was varied everyday and you can always find something to please your palate at the buffets. We attended the steak house(alacarte) and were quite happy. We were not as happy with the Italian resturaunt, that being the food was somewhat tasteless. These were the only two we attended as the buffets were as good or better.The beach was amazing, white powderlike sand and blue-green water beyond. Unlike some of the resorts you do not need  water socks. There was no coral to worry about, only sand bottom. The whales as they are referred to were alot of fun in the waves.The service was excellent in all areas. The people, always freindly and ready to help. If you plan on visiting the beachside bar look up our favourite two bartenders, Ceaser And Halario (I niknamed him Hillarious). They were fantastic,  made excellent Bahama Mamas and  were always entertaining.If we had any complaints it would be in the lack of nightly entertainment.  There really wasn't much to do. The Star Freind staff put on nightly shows but they were not what we expected. That being said we had a hard time staying awake past 10:00 pm each night.The sun sets around 4:30 pm and gets dark by 6:00 pm.We viewed many reviews from other guests before making our decision. There were many complaints at that time but we experienced none on our vacation and would return in a heartbeat

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My 2nd visit to Tucan/Quetzal; also have been to 3 other Iberostars - you cannot beat the prime beachfront (with pools too) location with beautiful grounds and interesting wildlife in the safe neighborhood of Playacar; excellent service & staff, great food & beverage choices, & other diverse amenities for the price. I requested a certain building beforehand by email, and we got a very nice 2nd floor corner room in that building - very short walk to beach. They were thoughtful to give us a welcoming bowl of fresh fruit and also 2 Iberostar t-shirts for returning to the Tucan. I would recommend to singles and families.

• Stayed February 2009
3 Thank jpl13
Minnesota
Reviewed 19 February 2009

My husband and I stayed with our 2 teenagers for a week at the end of January. The weather was beautiful. Just had part of an afternoon and evening with rain. I have stayed at numerous resorts in the area including the sister property, Quetzal and last year at the upscale Grand Hotel. The Tucan is a nice family resort. My kids loved the animals, the food, the sports activities, and the beach. The rooms were a bit small for 4 people (especially the beds), but we managed. The beds are hard, but we immediately asked for mattress covers, and they were just fine.

I travel quite a bit, so I have high expectations. I was not disappointed with the Tucan. It was spotless, the grounds are beautiful, and the food plentiful. Certainly, the variety and quality didn't compare to the fancier Iberostar resorts, but we enjoyed it. The ice cream on the beach is to die for, and the buffets are plentiful and tasty. We also ate in the Mexican, Japanese, and Steakhouse. The steakhouse was our least favorite but the other two were very tasty. My oldest teenager ate our money's worth. He gained 10 pounds!

We aren't big drinkers, but the drinks we tried were good. You can get premium liquor if you asked--ie, Don Julio tequila. The lobby bar made the best ones. The wine is terrible--don't even try it. We enjoyed the disco a few nights too. The resort is filled with people all over the world, so it makes for interesting conversations.

We were given the room we asked for--3rd floor close to the beach. It was a perfect room and worth waiting for when we arrived too early to check in. My daughter LOVED the monkey family on our balcony that visited us frequently. They were very entertaining! We were just steps away from the beach and the pool--the last building before the oceanview rooms. It was SO quiet in our room.

The entertainment was cheesy except for Thursday night when they brought Mexican dancers in--they were very good. My daughter enjoyed showing off for Karaoke night--that was very fun.

Xcaret was fun but expensive--bought our tickets online for $60. We stayed 3 hours or so and enjoyed floating down the river. That felt good as it was hot walking around. We enjoyed the sea turtles and the iguanas everywhere. My kids were anxious, though, to return to the resort and back to lounging on the beach. It was sometimes tough, however, to get beach chairs in the shade.

The only issue on our entire trip was with the Cancun airport Hertz office. Even though they have the Hertz name, it's rinky-dink. Gold membership means absolutely nothing there. We had reserved a car with a quote of $280 for a week's car rental. When we got there, though, they wanted to charge us an extra $30 per day for "insurance". If we didn't pay that, they wanted a $2,000 deposit for damages. We told them to forget it and took a $50 ride for all of us to the resort. What a hassle! However, it worked out fine in the end--no thanks to Hertz. The resort is close enough to Playa Del Carmen to walk anyways. We shopped there a few times and visited one of the local McDonald's. The only time we needed the car was to go to Xcaret--and we took a $15 cab ride there instead. We were later told that the Mexican police love to stop foreign drivers for bribes, so we were glad to be riding in cabs!

I highly recommend Iberostar Tucan if you're thinking of visiting the area!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank PK6
Calgary
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My wife and I stayed from Feb 8-15 with 40 of our closest friends and family for our wedding on Feb 13th. All I can say about the resort is 5 star all the way. Mayra , our wedding planner was absolutley great. She took care of everything and made our special day , the best day of our lives. The resort is awesome. Walking through the jungle and seeing all the wildlife was a sight to see. From the Monkeys to the Teenage Mutan Ninja Squirrels. (our son named them). Juanita, the waitress in the Lobby bar, is the sweetest little thing. She took care of us perfectley. The beach was great and all the kids had a great time on the sand whales. If you are looking for a place to have a tropical wedding, Look no further then the Tucan.

Stayed February 2009
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#40 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!