Stayed here with wife and 2yo daughter in October 2010 for almost 2 weeks and really enjoyed it.
From the beach, Tucan is the half of the resort on the left, Quetzal the one on the right. Virtually the same, minor difference would be that on the Quetzal side of the pool you're closer to music and sports, and on the Tucan side you're closer to towels and pool-lunch area. When we were there (low season), the restaurant on the Tucan side was open, where the one on the Quetzal side was not. Had been to Iberostar Bavaro in the Dominican Republic before, so can compare here.
Room: Spacious (seating area not as big as in the DR) and comfortable, with small balcony. We stayed in a room in block 11 (blocks run from 10 on the beach to 19 near the reception, Quetzal has similar numbering from 20 to 29). So close to pool-side restaurant, beach, towels, and away from the sounds of the jungle & monkeys located between the beach and restaurant. Room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
Food & Drinks: Good quality food and drinks (I liked the fruit and vegetables a little better in the DR), and friendly service. Of the restaurants besides the buffet (Italian, Mexican, Japanese, and Steak House), we favored the Italian. Steak House is also good, but as it's open-walled near the beach, we had mosquitos bothering us there at night.
Grounds: Beautiful (better than DR) and spacious, with a jungle full of animals (great for our daughter) to walk through on your way to the bigger of the 2 breakfast buffet areas. Agoutis, Monkeys, Tucans, Peacocks, Flamingos, Chickens, Lizzards, Turtles, and many more animals were present. There is a separate childrens pool, and right next to it a slide, climb rack and the usual playground apparatus in the sand for the little ones: ideal!
Location: This hotel is located just 5 minutes and 50 pesos (roughly usd 5 or eur 3) by taxi from Playa del Carmen. Good for shopping, a massage, or diving (significant cost difference with those services at or around the hotel), and the ferry to Cozumel (140 pesos one way, 30 minutes by boat). About 5 minutes walk towards Playa del Carmen from the hotel you can find a Starbucks with free internet. (fyi - In case you're considering different Iberostars - the Iberostar Paraiso Maya is located away from everything between Cancun and Playa del Carmen).
Other: Thrifty has on-site car rental available next to the Quetzal reception, and it's easy to rent a car and visit Chichen Itza and the city of Valladolid together in a day. Pre-arranged and organized excursions are bookable on-site as well if you like.
Hotel also has tennis courts, a fitness center, a spa, and a night club, though I didn't make use of them.
Would recommend, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Privileged situation directly on the beach of Playacar, around 3 km from the town of Playa del Carmen. Specially recommended for honeymooners. Varied, colourful entertainment programme. Large pool area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Tucan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa Del Carmen
- Iberostar Tucan Mexico
- Iberostar Tucan Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Iberostar
- Iberostar Tucan Quetzal
- Iberostar Tucan Playacar
- Iberostar Tucan Hotel Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen