“My reservation was cancelled”

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Ranked #43 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
“My reservation was cancelled”
Reviewed 24 November 2010

• When we arrived at the resort we were told our reservations were canceled. The people behind the counter said it wasn’t their fault and they had no rooms available. “Sorry I can’t help you” I asked them what am I going to do? “They said I don’t know” I asked how that was possible when i'm standing in your lobby? US Air had my reservation, the transportation people had my reservation, but Iberostar doesn't? They were reluctant to let me use the phone. I had to make all of the phone calls myself to find out what happened. No help from Iberostar. Did not see, hear or speak to a Manager.
• Several hours later They eventually got us a room until "Tuesday". The beds were rock hard, the worst I ever slept on. The back patio flooded everyday from the sprinkler system. I reported that to the front desk because my son actually slipped and fell. Nothing was done. What was really annoying is when the wind blew our bathing suites and towels onto the floor they were soaked again.
• We tried to make reservations for the specialty dinners for the week but couldn’t because they had us checking out the next morning. We couldn’t book any tours until Tuesday because we weren’t sure where we were going to be staying. When we eventually got settled but we could'nt get any reservations for dinner prior to 9:00pm for the rest of the week. This is a little late when you have kids. The buffet was ok but we prefer the dinners. When we went by the restaurants earlier we noticed numerous empty tables and we didn’t understand why. When we spoke with other people that had the earlier seating’s they said the restaurants were never full.
• We were told by our travel agent that they were sending something to the room for our aggravation. We got nothing! We did get a check out notice under our door that evening. Back to the front desk I went.
• I got a call from Best Day Travel Monday night (Lionel). He asked me to meet him in the lobby at 9:00am and would take care of me. Went to the lobby at 9:00 and he wasn’t there, the other agents told me he was at the other resort, so I walk over to the other resort. The agents there told me Best Day is never here, so back to our resort. It’s now 10:00 am. Still no Lionel. He finally shows up at 10:15am. He was no help what so ever. He offered me nothing. His prices were no different than anyone else. As we are discussing things he continued to answer his phone. My frustration level was at its max by this point. It’s now 11:00am and I walked away. More wasted vacation time, I never heard from him again. Watch these people, do your homework!
• Tuesday afternoon we walked back to the room to get my sons medications and the key didn’t work because they had us checked out. But I was told that was resolved Monday evening. Back to the front desk again.
• Just way to much aggravation for a resort who thinks they are the best. They are far from it!
• The other side of things: the service people, bars, restaurants, housekeeping they were all very good and very friendly. Not much to do at night, the entertainment was average at best. The resort was beautiful! However, the people running Iberostar, Tucan were absolutely no help with my problems and refused to accept any responsibility. US Airways were the only people that actually helped us with our problems.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Eppy2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,033)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Stillwater, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 November 2010

We just returned from the Iberostar Tucan hotel. Hotel was better than the pictures we reviewed before our trip. Great food. Good entertainment. Beatiful facility. Very clean. Friendly staff. Try the free diving lesson in the pool. Great diving school right by the hotel. The restaurants are good and the breakfest buffet is great. Kids had a great time too. We would go back but next time we will probably go to another Iberostar property (Jamaica or Brasil) We like to see different places in the world but can for sure recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Equestrian93
Ruislip
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I have just returned from mexcico, an I already want to return. I enjoyed it so much, the beach was beautiful, the walk through the jungle was unreal, seeing all the different animals. Never done a review before, but had to do this.

I enjoyed my stay sooooo much, staff were very friendly, place was very clean. Just a great place to be. I cried with happiness, when my partner upgraded us to a presidential suite. Just so beautiful, I will be returning to mexcico reguarly now, not always to here, but to a condo too.

Thankyou for a lovely time in iberstart.

Victoria Ruislip middlesex.

1 Thank VictoriaRuislip
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Loved this resort. Perfect combination of beach luxury and fun. Wished we could have stayed longer. The animals are great and bring so much life to the place. I am in the process of planning another vacation right now and it's going to be hard to top.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank jpisano131
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 November 2010

For the last 15 years or so I travel south to all-inclusive hotels about once or twice a year. This hotel ranks in my top two out of all the places I've stayed based on the quality of the hotel. Playa Del Carmen is one of my favourite places to stay in Mexico and I'll definitely return to this hotel again. The location is well situated from the main tourist area and easily accessible by taxi or a long leisurely walk. The food at the buffet was very good all week and there was lots of variety. For the a la carte restaurants the Japanese was the best. The Italian and Mexican restaurants were okay for the main course - their appetizer buffet area was actually better. The beach is extremely large and they provide sun umbrellas which is something I've never seen before and a wonderful touch. The hotel has a wildlife sanctuary that you pass through to access the beach and that perhaps takes a couple of days to get used to with all the little critters running around. After a few days you'll forget about them and they definitely won't harm you. The quality of the activity team is also something that I've never seen before. Their evening shows had a very high production quality in the main theatre. From a social point of view, the resort does have more of a family vibe. I was travelling with a fellow single friend and there definitely was a lack of fun singles to mingle with - but that was easily remedied by hanging out in town in the evenings. This is a small thing but notable - I was surprised that the main bar areas would pour international brand drinks without issue if you asked which is generally out of the norm at all-inclusives. Our guest room was average and typical to what you are going to get at a 4-5 star hotel down south. The beds were definitely firm - like concrete! If there is one thing that I wished could be improved it would the beds!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank cecfab416
Indiana
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Simply the most naturally beautiful resort I have ever seen. The pictures do not do this resort justice. It is impossible to capture on film how gorgeous this resort is. The lobbies for Tucan and sister resort Quetzel and the walkways to the restaurants simply have to be seen to be believed. The staff is wonderful, the food is very good, the drinks are plentiful and the pool and beach are fantastic. The wildlife throughout the resort adds so much to whole experience. You never knew what you were going to see going to breakfast or dinner. We loved the open air dining, but could see where that might be rather hot during the summer months. It was perfect in October, however. We also loved the layout of this place. Everything was so convenient at this resort. The pool is located very close to the beach and also to one of the restaurants The lobbies of both resorts and the shared entertainment areas are an easy stroll from one area to another. Beach and Pool service for drinks is a big plus, as is the availability of room service. The people we met were fun and friendly. The only negative was the hard mattress on the bed. Foam toppers are available and do help. All in all, this was my favorite resort so far. If you are looking for a modern, elegant, luxury type of resort, you might want to look elsewhere, though. You could be dissapointed if that is what you are interested in. Tucan is friendly, quaint, colorful and beautiful, but is a somewhat rustic resort. It is somewhat older and the rooms are decorated with colorful tiles, concrete furniture and bright colors. It was perfect for us! I loved everything about this resort and can't wait to go back.

2 Thank Terrie P
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2010

We visited the Tucan from 15th - 29th October - this was our second visit to the hotel in five years. We had an excellent 2 week holiday, the hotel grounds are still gorgeous, the beach fantastic and the staff brillant in particular Acradio in the restaurant, Santos at the lobby bar & the young lady who was always bringing us drinks at the beach.

The only disappointment this time was the rooms - it was hard to get a good nights sleep as the bed was very uncomfortable & the rooms are in need of rennovating (we did have to move rooms after three nights due water coming through the ceiling near the air con unit - management did deal with this promptly & we were moved to another room within 1/2 hour)

Food was a bit hit & miss - we werent expecting gourmet but we couldnt help but feel that standards had slipped since our last visit , there appeared to be much less choice at the buffets , although the A la cartes we visited - Italian & Steakhouse were good.

We went into town a couple of times & enjoyed the bars & restaurants for a change of scenery. We also did the Mayan Snorkelling trip with Dressel divers at the hotel which was very good.

All in all we had a great two weeks & we probably will visit again sometime in the future.

1 Thank aligaz05
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#88 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Tucan Hotel? Share your experiences!