“Beautiful Beach!”
Review of The Reef Playacar

The Reef Playacar
Ranked #95 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed at the Reef for a week with a group for scuba diving. The hotel was nice, but the beach was exceptional. More than that, the staff at the marina were great! For those of us who were not diving, there were paddle boards, kayaks and snorkeling. The restaurants were nice. The Italian was my favorite. The pools were fun, but not very clean. I'm sure this was the result of many people coated with sunscreen, but they could have used more than a single cleaning per day. The area was great with a variety of things to do off property. Altogether a really great vacation!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank wchandler
There are newer reviews for The Reef Playacar

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for 5 days with a group of our close friends, just returned yesterday. We stayed at the Reef and it was wonderful. We took a cab from the airport to the hotel which we just paid a round trip fee and the same cab picked us up yesterday. We were greeted by friendly staff and champagne for everyone! We had a great room, clean, marble floors, updated bathroom, with a Jacuzzi on the balcony. The jungle-like setting is very relaxing.The beach is absolutely beautiful, very clean and it wasn't very crowded at all. Our friends really enjoyed taking the provided kayaks out in the ocean. The staff overall were very friendly, full of great suggestions as to what we should do during our stay, engaged us in activities and were very outgoing. They really added to our trip. We upgraded to the better wristbands which got us into all 4 restaurants, bars, and access top shelf alcohol. That is really worth spending the little extra money, the food at the mexican place and the italian place were both very good, as opposed to the dinner buffet which was just ok. The pool bar was super cool. My boyfriend surprised with me the couples dinner on the beach, which was so beautiful. We sat at a table on the beach with candles all around us. I had steak and he had salmon, we were both pleased. The hotel is walking distance from the town of Playa Del Carmen so we went into town for dinner one night and had a great meal at a little mexican place. We went on an excursion our last day (booked through the resort) to Dolphin Discovery where we swam with dolphins, sea lions, and manatees. That was a great experience, we all had a wonderful time! The trainers definitely really care about the animals. Our lunch as well as our cab was included. I could go on but to sum it up the Reef met our expectations and we were very happy with our trip! I'm sure we will be back.

Room Tip: Building 14 was great
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Whitney F
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I just came back for a week vacations on THE REEF PLAYACAR, it was so good, all the people is very, very nice!, the hotel has a beautiful beach!!!, I stayed in standard room, the room was ok, but they need to remodel them, the service at the bars was excellent, I spent almost all the nights in the bar on the second floor, above of the reception, the bar man, I guess his name is Albyn or Elbyn, I don't remember well, and Francisco, they both are so nice these guys, always trying to be nice with people,

The food at the restaurant was ok, but they need a little more variety on the dinner, the breakfast is ok, I went to dinner to the international restaurant, I had to pay 6 dlls, because the standard room does not include this restaurant, the food was really really good!!

You can go to The 5th. Ave. just walking 15 minutes, it's so close.

I do recommend this hotel!

Thanks to Carolina for all the service that she gave to Me, you were so nice!!

Room Tip: My room was the 823 room, it was so close from restaurant, pool and beach!!, it was so good
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank luixva
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Just returned from two weeks at this resort. Had an issue with the Wi-Fi and the security box, asked to see Paula San Pedro to address my concern. Tried on more than one occasion to get a hold of her but was getting the round around. Finally asked to make an appointment to see her. Told the front desk that I had an appointment to see her. They called her on the phone, she talked to the person on the phone and refused to see me. This is the kind of service you will get throughout the whole resort. They just do not care about their clients. On other matters: the food is ok, small buffet only one free a la cart. No free Wi-Fi at resort. Spend your money at a resort that cares! Needless to say I will never return to this resort.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CEEZLX
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I will take another vacation on this place, I love it!! excellent food, the service was very good no complains. This place exceed our expetations, wished we can stay longer. We hope we can go next year with my family again. thanks, Martha

Room Tip: rooms were OK, we had a 2 full bed - I would like a queen bed.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank mtabesira
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at The Reef Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for this positive review about your last vacation here with us in Playa, Mexico.

It is always great to hear and really appreciated if guests enjoyed their stay and share it with others.

We really hope that you are planning to come back, if you do so please make sure to contact us to make sure you get the repetitive guests benefits.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The week of August 6, 2014, I stayed at the Reef Playacar with my family and grandkids. The experience was the worst I ever had on vacation. Let me start by saying the food was ok, had only two resturants to choose from and a buffet area, the rooms were outdated and need and update. When we first arrived and checked in we sat with a perosn explaining the resort and then the part with time sharing started, just give us one and half hours and we will give you $100.00 dollars, never took the tour. Then one day my grandkids were taking pictures with the Reef Photographer by the pool when a day pass person drunk by the pool starting cursing my grand kids as to why they were taking pictures with the birds. I went to managemnet of the resort to have security come to the pool area and made a complaint against this person. Managemnet stated to me that the person was on a day pass and he would be leaving the resort at 6 pm. This incident happen 4:00 PM. I was also threatened by his friend who was also drunk. I had a meeting with management and they stated that the peolple would be leaving the resort. I said to management can you stop this person from entering the resort the next day and they stated yes. I then asked managment to let me see the identification the resort took to allow the day pass people into the resort. Managemnet said they had no record on these peolpe. So I said how can you make my family feel secure when you have no idea who these people were. I got no response from management. I then stated to managemnt that I wanted to be placed in another resort. Managemnet was very reluckant on my request, but finally aggreed. They did accomadate me by placing us in another Reef Club about 10 minutes away. The resort was nothing like Playacar. I fleet like it was two steps down. I would never come back to Plaracar again. As stated in the first line the worst vacation I ever had. Management was more concerned about the day pass peolple who paid to enter the resort than a family who booked the resort for the week.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, bed , TV, bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Peter D
ReefPlayacarResort, Director of Sales at The Reef Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent vacation with us on Tripadvisor.

The Reef Playacar is known for its cozy boutique style all inclusive. The amount of restaurants is according to the amount of rooms we have. The Reef Playacar counts with 196 rooms offering 3 different restaurant options for the evening and 1 buffet on the day. Any other big hotel has an average of 1 buffet hotel per 200 rooms. This is the normal calculation for restaurants in resorts.
We offer the traveler a nice vacation experience and we regret that this experience was interrupted by another guests that apparently came for a day visit. We offer day pass visits to tourists that do not want to spend the night but enjoy an all inclusive hotel for the day. These guests are not more privileged then others but unfortunately the person behaved very rude and definitely will not be allowed to get into the hotel again. We require identification from those that arrive to buy a day pass but since he arrived with someone else the other person left its identification for both of them. We hardly have any incidents like this and this area is very safe for everyone.

It was an incident and fortunately, as one of the managers of the hotel, I was able to attend you. I completely understood your frustration and at no point I was reluctant but more worried ,since the other hotel The Reef Cocobeach, was overbooked. I could not promise anything before I was able to make some phone calls to make sure you had a room. Once I got a room confirmed we were able to move you within an hour to the other hotel in order for you to continue enjoying your vacation.

We definitely want you to enjoy the hotel at its best. We are a small resort but very nice for families and the incident was an unfortunate situation. And at no point we prefer day pass guests above our regular guests. I am sorry you felt that way and we did our best to attend you correctly.

Please contact us directly for your next visit into Playa Del Carmen, we would like to give you another opportunity to enjoy the hotel at its best.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Food aint good, closes bars 15 min earlier. No free wifi. Rooms are ok but there needs to be better service to clients. Needs to be more waiters at the beach. It really isnt all inclusive because everything has an extra price and very limited schedule for food

• Stayed: August 2014