“Avoid At All Costs”

Hostel Che
Calgary, Canada
“Avoid At All Costs”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The first minute I spent in the place soured my experience when the guy at reception tried to rip me off 400 pesos after charging us too much for the room already (higher rates than what we booked on the website). The rooms smelled like damp musty mold and the walls were moldy as well. The only window was completely blocked by a brick wall inches away from it so there was poor air circulation. All the sheets were stained and disgusting, the beds were lumpy sheets with springs. The shower head was busted, the "bath mat" was a gross scraggly towel and the toilet barely functioned. At night they would play the same mix on repeat, and blast music in the lobby early in the morning. Most of the staff were rude or unhelpful.

Avoid Che.

Room Tip: You will never escape the noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jay2DKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Rooms smell really bad, the walls are moldy and bathrooms are dirty. Things like shower head, toilet seat and bathroom door-lock were broken. Staff (mostly dudes)are barely helpful and would create a cliquey atmosphere unless you are a cute girl. As much as I understand that is a party hostel and I didnt mind it being loud on the rooftop and reception areas, staff people would be the loudest around and they would take the party to the hallways and right outside the rooms. On top of that, they would crank the music in the reception at 8AM (if it is a party hostel, you would know that people might want to sleep a bit later than that and respect it). Kitchen only has one frying pan and the fridge seems to NOT get cleaned. With this review I might sound like a grumpy old man, but i am actually in my twenties, I have stayed in many hostels before and go to playa del carmen for the festival in january. Location is excellent though!

Room Tip: Avoid this place. even if there is no other place, I would sleep on the beach
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank raratunga
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Lax hostel rules/culture let the guests behave sloppily and this hostel get trashed daily. The women's dorm smelled like a mix of mold and vomit, the common areas are lousy (one couch out front and a lame “bar” space on the roof), and I found it difficult to meet people as guests are either out or passed out.

price: $145 pesos ($13USD)/night for female dorm
amenities: Free spotty wifi, free breakfast, guidebooks to borrow, communal quasi-kitchen (burner, microwave, utensils) with a particularly disgusting communal fridge, locker lock
breakfast: Toast, coffee, raw eggs for you to self cook. The stove was broken when I was there; rather than go without, I cooked mine McDonald's style in the microwave.
room: 6 twin bunks and one en suite bathroom/shower. For such a new hostel (opened in 2010?), I don't know how they have such old and crappy mattresses. The dorm lockers are tiny--the majority are repurposed 1'x1' cubbies with plywood doors bolted to the front, but the back is open so if you just move it away from the wall... I suggest using one of the four actually fully enclosed metal lockers instead. People's crap is scattered everywhere, things get moved around/stepped on/broken, and wet clothes hang on every possible surface (even a pair of panties on the bathroom doorknob). The dorm smelled like FUNK. The a odor (perhaps from everyone using the big upholstered chair as a drying rack?) seeps into your stuff; do laundry after you leave!
social scene: Everyone said Playa was a social party town, but was just not my kind of place. I met one girl that I got on with; not the slightest connection with anyone else. The common areas were lame, and even when hanging out it was very difficult to strike up a conversation with anyone. Just not the same friendly spirit as virtually anywhere else. People seemed to already exist in very insular social cliques. I think guests simply had their priorities about they were going to do: go out and party then sleep it off in bed or at the beach. Very young guests in general; made me feel like an old lady.
staff: Somewhat friendly but more aloof and not super helpful. More like hungover doormen/bar hosts than anything else. When I arrived, I wasn't given any kind of orientation whatsoever like other hostels, and I'm pretty sure the dude who checked me in was the owner. They did not inspire confidence.
cleanliness: Not good. The main problem here is how the guests treat the space; it quickly gets trashed day after day. Once the cleaning crew comes through during the morning, the floors and other surfaces were technically clean I guess but this is quickly undone. Upholstered furniture was ratty; the cleanest couch I could find was peppered with cigarette burns.
location: The best part about this place, the location was great. Close to the bus station, main tourist drag, cheap local eats, and colectivo stand. Easy to get away!
unique aspect: Rooftop bar where music pumps from 10pm until late; no quiet hours here. I heard mixed reviews on the scene there, some people enjoyed it but other nights there wasn't much happening. Lax front desk security means there are more random people than most inside the hostel, often en route to the bar. While the door to the dorm did lock, most of my roommates didn't bother to use it. Cram as much stuff into that tiny locker as you can!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ErinH876
Ranong Province, Thailand
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

l arrived at Hostel Che at 6.00 in the morning after a long night in the bus. The Hostel was full but Turko, the receptionist said if l waited till 12.00 he could reserve a bed for me providing that I paid in full the 350 pesos for the bed in a 12 person dorm plus a 100 peso deposit. l paid in good faith but when, after 4 hours, l received a call which urged me to travel to Cancun immediately, cancelling the reservation became a Rip Off!. Not only kept Ernesto, the new clerk I , half the rent but he also did not want to return my 100 peso deposit arguing that I had sat on the premises ( maybe 1 hour) and therefore was liable. He had me pay for half a night which I had not spent plus kept a deposit for a key I had never lost because I never had received it. So my return for 450 Pesos paid was 175 pesos!!! That was my worst experience with a Mexican Rip Off artist so far and l can only recommend to avoid that place. There are nicer and cheaper places just around the corner..

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mini m
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Pros: pretty good vibe, friendly staff, fairly clean, cool rooftop deck with bar
Cons: beds are just metal springs, 4 to 1 guy girl ratio, bathrooms very very small

I will check out somewhere else next time!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Really cool party Hostel! They have a chill bar where u can start the party, happy hour 8-9. For sure ur going to have a good time here, the owner and staff are really nice! Close to everything. They own as well a pretty good restaurant cheap and the food is really good. Enjoy!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was the last stop on my one-year trip through Central America... my friend recommended this hostel to me because I wanted a fun place to stay for my birthday and my last few days abroad. The hostel had a great vibe the second I entered with my friend, and they continued to be hilarious, helpful, and great during the whole stay. They sang Happy Birthday to me at midnight on my birthday, and lined up a ton of shots for everyone. The workers really created the vibe every day and night I was there, and got everyone in the mood to party. Every time they saw you they greeted you by name with a kiss or a fist bump. Once they shut down at Che, they would take whoever wanted to join out to the bars, and at nearly every place we got special deals and/or free entry.

The hostel itself was always clean (although I can only speak for my room/bathroom, the common areas, and the dorm my friend stayed in). However, didn't hear any complaints from anyone else there. Overall if you're looking for a fun spot to stay in Playa, check out this hostel! Thanks for making my birthday incredible guys xox

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends