“Sandos Select Club and Sandos Characol are same resort”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #76 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Regina
“Sandos Select Club and Sandos Characol are same resort”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Sandos Select Club for 1 week beginning March 1. Upon our arrival at the airport, we informed our driver we wanted to go to the Sandos Select Club. He told us that it is actually called the Sandos Caracoal. When we arrived at the hotel, they put our wrist bands on us which said Sandos Caracoal (which is rated as a 4 star). I told them I had not booked at the Sandos Caracoal, but at the Sandos Select Club (which is a 5 star). The reception staff said they only book how our travel agent passed on the information, however, I had all my paperwork and it clearly said Sandos Select Club. They then changed our wrist bands which gave us the use of the Select Club amenities (private beach which is no big deal as it is as far away from the rooms as you could get). To make a long story short, they did not have a room for us at the Sandos Select Club area, so we had to stay in a much older room in the Sandos Caracoal. The room was okay, but it certainly is showing its age and did not have the amenities that you paid for in Select Club such as a coffee maker in the room, robes and slippers, etc. Also, we could never shower in the morning as we never had hot water - we would have to wait until the late afternoon. Another problem we had (and several others that we spoke to) is the hotel check-in system doesn't seem to work very well. Our first morning that we arrived, we decided to get a couple hours sleep as we were up all night. Just as we were falling asleep, my daughter said she thought someone was trying to get into our room. I said I thought is was just someone outside in the hallway. Well, 20 minutes later, someone tried again to get into our room (thank God we had the chain on). Reception had given our room to a family who had just arrived from England and who were as equally tired as we were). They were so embarrassed - I phone reception and told them what they had done - they said just send them back to the desk. So always put your chain on your door if you stay at this resort (or any resort for t hat matter). I personally am getting tired of going to Mexico and having to fight for everything that I paid for. As for the food, it was okay but became very tiresome as it seemed to be the same food every night. And, we could never get into one of the ala cartes - they would just tell you to come back tomorrow, but you would get the same story every day (unless you get really mad - the Select Club members are suppose to have unlimited ala cartes - we got one on our last day). Also, we could not get a late checkout as they told us the hotel was full. This was a real problem for us as we were not getting picked up until 2:00 am in the morning. So, we were without a room for 14 hours. The beach in front of this resort is terrible - you certainly cannot swim in the ocean due to all the rocks. As well, the hotel does not have enough beach chairs for all of their guests. Unless you get up with the birds and put your towels out, you'll end up sitting on the sand. Would I go back to this hotel? No. Would I recommend it to my friends? Not if I wanted to remain friends. This was my 6th visit to Mexico and although this was not the worst resort we've stayed in, it rates right up there. The only time we never had to fight for anything we paid for and the food was excellent was the Riu Santa Fe in Los Cabos.

• Liked — The layout of the resort felt like you were in a small village.
  • Disliked — The fact that you do not get what you pay for and the way they market one resort as two.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank LadyContessa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,107)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

My daughter and I were at the Sandos Caracol from Feb 28 to Mar 6/08. At my booking I requested a ground floor as I have severe arthritis in my knees. On arrival, they had placed us on the 3rd flr. (walk up). After some talking and a $10 tip, we were changed to ground level.
Reception was very welcoming and friendly. Our room was Way Out - long walk to the centre of everything. This long walk was very painful for me. Our room was lovely with a stocked fridge of water, pop, & beer. Housekeeping left our beds made up beautifully but I don't think the floors were ever cleaned as our feet would get gritty and dirty.
The beach was not very swimable; rocky and weedy.
For a resort this size, the pools were too small. The spa was wonderful. I had an 80 min. massage (the works) and it was luxurious, although a bit pricey.
The buffet meals were varied and very tasty and displayed beautifully; many choices. I was not very impressed with the a la carte restaurants.
The worst part of our stay was the attack of some kind of vicious biting bugs (No, they were NOT mosquitos). The resort has numerous natural lagoons which must be the breeding ground for these vermits. We got bit up pretty bad on our legs and arms with huge red welts that were pus filled and so itchy that scratching didn't help. My legs are a mass of red, itchy scabby and swollen welts. We missed out on restful nights sleep because of the irritation. It's over a week now and I'm still battling the itch.
The Sandos Caracol is a very nice resort but because of it's size, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone having a walking problem.

• Liked — Most activities, restaurants , shopping located centrally
  • Disliked — The vicious bugs that chewed us up (not mosquitos). Legs/arms a mass of itchy lumps and presently very scarred up.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Lalik
headn2mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2008

This was our first AI so I am a newbie but I know this was not 4 or 5 star place. I would rate it a 3 star resort. My biggest complaint was the food!!! By the third day I was starving!!! (We stayed from 2/29 through 3/5). We actually went to 5th Avenue to eat to get a good meal. The buffets were the same almost everyday and only warm. No hot food. Speaking of food, the two included reservations did not happen for us. We did get into the oriental place and it was ok but the other days were all booked. I was NOT happy w/ this at ALL!!!!

Second complaint, there was an aweful smell at certain places in the resort - sewage smell. I did not like that and it made my mind wonder....lol

Entertainment on the resort was not that good - boring.

We had a FunJet representative right at the resport and he was EXCELLENT. Hooked us up w/ trips and recommended a restaurant, etc. He helped us w/ just about everything.

Overall, it was an ok resort but we will not be going back mainly because of the food.

• Disliked — FOOD!!!! Sewage smell and rocky beach
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank headn2mexico
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2008

My partner and I stayed at Sandos Caracol from Feb 27th 08 - 5th March 08.We were a little anxious prior to our departure as some of the previous reviews were very negative,but we can honestly say that we had a fantastic holiday staying at the resort.
We had registered to the Sandos select club before departure and on checkin were offered an upgrade to a deluxe room with jacuzzi at a very reasonable rate.
Our room was great -a huge bed, and a fantastic view over the relax pool. The room was very clean and the house keeper cleaned daily , supplying fresh towels, restocking the fridge etc.
The whole resort was immaculate and all of the staff were very friendly and courteous.
We visted each of the restaurants at the hotel and had no problems getting reservations for any of the al a carte restaurants, all of the food was of a very high standard and provided us with an opportunity to taste foods we would not have otherwise had an opportunity to try. All of the waiting and bar staff were very pleasant and helpful.
We spent several days chilling by the relax pool and had no problem acquiring sun loungers ( put your towel on them on the way to breakfast).
We also spent some time lounging on the beach and again had no problem getting sun loungers. Yes the sea is rocky underfoot, but I managed to enjoy a swim with out wearing sea shoes. the beach it self is beautiful.
We did an excurison to Chichen Itza, this was a long trip, but was worth it for the experience.
We spent a day at Xcarat, get there early and snorkel the underground tunnnels before too many other tourists arrive- its brilliant. We also swam with dolphins at Xcarat- incredible. I would say that one day at Xcarat is not enough, if you have time, make two trips there- we did not get to see all of the park in the time we had.
Caught the free shuttle into Playa Del Carmen to get pressies to take home. Shop keepers do want you to come and buy from them , but are in no way hassling as in some countries. If you declined to go in to their shop they usually made a joke about it and were pleasant. A taxi back to the hotel was only 1O USD. The beaches in Playa Del Carmen are just what you expect holiday beaches to look like, white sand and blue sea-beautiful.
We treated ourselves to a massage each on our last day at the Spa. I relaxed with a gentle aromatherapy massage, my partner opted for the deep tissue massage and the masseuse certainly put him through his paces- I don't think he really relaxed- but mine was good.
All in all we had a fantastic holiday staying at the Sandos Caracol, we had no complaints, we were not hassled by the Elite Club time share reps. The accommodation, food and facilities were all too a very high standard, and we could not really understand where the previous negative reviews we had read had come from.
Would love to return to Mexico again some time in the future and stay longer.

• Liked — Immaculate room, good food and great weather
  • Disliked — Rocky underfoot entering the sea
5 Thank carriej67
Huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2008

Firstly I have to say that Cancun airport for such a busy one is atrocious.! The bags take hours to appear and then the queue to get through the luggage x ray is huge and the security is awful. You go through and press a button, if it comes up red you have to stop and your cases get upturned, if green carry on through.!
We arrived at the hotel and found check in to be very quick, we were given a room in block 51 which contained a jacuzzi in the bedroom. The room was clean and adequate with a fully stocked fridge throughout out stay.The grounds are beautiful, and well maintained. There are 4pools, the main one of which is very busy and very rowdy. We found the relax pool perfect. As on previous reviews I do agree that there are far too few sun loungers around all of the pools, you really do have to be up early to grab one.
Food was fab, no complaints at all. I did think it was a good idea that they serve the hot food in quite small trays and replenished them often, so that the food does not get a chance to go cold. Plus meat etc is cooked by chefs at your request at the hotplates.
Playa del Carmen itself is also a lovely little town and we found ourselves there on 3 nights, just for a change of scenery. Lots of little shops, bars and some lovely restaurants.
All in all we had a fantastic 2 weeks here and thoroughly enjoyed it .

• Liked — jacuzzi and space
  • Disliked — steps ( 3rd floor )
5 Thank didoHuddersfield
Mississauga,ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2008

I'll try to narrow it down as much as possible...

5 of us girls ages 18 - 30 stayed between Feb 24-Mar 2

Hotel:
is clean, everything is close by. It is a large place but still everything is always a few steps away.

Rooms:
are decent, bathrooms are nice.

Buffets:
All were good, the main one obviously has the best selection. It has the best draft beer too, soooo refreshing at lunch. The guacamoli (spelling?) was amazing. Overall good food.

A la Carte:
I recommend the Japanese hands down, better then the Mediterranian and Steakhouse. My friends steak was cold and another friends steak was not very tasty. Mediterrainian has lots of musquitoes...so be prepared.

Yes lots of invisible musquitoes... our legs were covered with red bumps all week. Bring bug spray.

Now for the best part....

GO TO PLAYA DEL CARMEN, take the free shuttle everyday. The beach is amazing. Check out Mamitas for some good music, good drinks and a nice bed to lay on the beach.

Clubs:
BLUE PARROT
loved it, amazing music! most of the club is covered with sand so dont wear high heels, no point you will take them off anyway.

Swim with the Dolphins, $150 US but well worth it, you swim with them for an hour in a small group of 6. Its just sad in the beginning to see them in the aquariums, just have to remember that they are in a good place and treated properly. Much better then the places ive seen in Cuba and Dominican.

Cancun party hopping: Dont bother. Just go to Coco Bongos on your own. Senor Frogs and Congos were fun but everything was so rush rush, we had time for one drink each before they made us leave to go to the next bar. And the worst part is, you cant get the drinks yourself, you have to get the special party hopper guy to get them for you... so you have to find him first. Sometimes thats hard, or a pain in the [--]. Playa Del Carmen has better nightlife atmosphere anyway and its only 10 minutes away from the resort. Pics attached of Mamitas beach *drool*

Overall... The location is what made our trip awesome. Playa Del Carmen is beautiful! Cant wait to go back.

• Liked — location - 10 min away from the most beautiful beach ever
  • Disliked — our beach is rocky, not fun to swim in
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank dariab
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

My wife and myself went to the select club from feb. 22th 29th.

Overall , a great experience . Food , service and drinks were perfect. We have nothing to complaint , ok maybe one thing , the 2 cloudy days during our stay. lol ...

Seriously , this resort will serve the young or older crowds, when we were there we were mostly a 30 + .

The beach is nice, but like everyone said in this forum , they're rocks in the water, we knew in advance so did not have any problem with it.

The room is large and really clean.

The resort is huge so be ready to spend some calories walking on the site.

Have fun if you go !

E-mail me if you have questions !

Legrandgat

• Liked — Food and service
  • Disliked — Beach
1 Thank lequébecois
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,180 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,995 reviews

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!