“Excellent service” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Excellent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

We just stayed at the Sandos for a family vacation there were 8 adults and 7 children. Everyone enjoyed our stay. Wonderful service from the poolbar by the beach. Marcos was excellent bartender? The kids loved the Kids club. They really bonded with Noemi! The kids also had a great time at the aqua park. Every employee was friendly and helpful. Would have liked to have had more Mexican food as the mexican restaurant was closed? The international buffet was good. The Brazilian restaurant was excellent. We also had a great dinner at the grand royal club. Our rooms were cleaned evey day and our refrigerator was stocked regularly.

4 Thank Funinmexico2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,078)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2012

We visited the resort from November 24-December 1, 2012. There were 6 of us, including a 16 month old and a 5 year old. It started off poorly with front desk staff that was less than helpful (when I asked some questions he said that I could find all of the info in the magazine in my room, which by the way has VERY little info) and with poor service in the main buffet restaurant. We had two regular rooms, and one junior suite. The great thing was that for the first time in many years we actually got adjoining rooms for the regular rooms. However, some of the downsides of the room - there is NO soundproofing. You can hear everything, including guests who yell at all hours of the night, and people on the floor above you moving furniture around at all hours of the night. Not much sleep to be had... The junior suite was VERY spatious, but it does not have a separate bedroom as we had hoped, and even the bathroom is not closed off. It is a nice room and is on the top floor, so much less noisy. Also, it had a huge balcony. In the regular rooms, the first floor has a small balcony, but on the second floor it is so small that you can't even sit outside, which was disappointing.

Pluses, though, are that the rooms are clean, if a little dated, and the housekeeping was great. Also, they were quick to respond to any little problems that we had.

The service in the buffet was much better once we discovered the Terrace, just a room off the large main room. The service in here was great and it was quieter than the main room. There was a decent selection of food at the buffet, but overall we food that the food was not usually hot, which concerns me as far as food poisoning is concerned. Happily, no one became ill.

Of the a la carte restaurants, we tried the Gaucho (amazing!), the Oriental (terrible!) and the Riviera (amazing!). And fabulous service at the Gaucho and Riviera.

The best parts of this resort: no towel cards; the fabulous aquapark for kids; the Sanditos kids club (Thank you so much to Amy, Noemi and Viviana, and all the others); the swing bar; how close the pool is to the beach, so you can move back and forth without having to move all of your stuff if just going for a bit. We didn't love the mini disco. My daughter really wanted to dance - so my suggestion to the hotel is that mini disco should be just DANCING, not playing games that lead to kids getting excluded.

Overall, this is a good hotel for the money. I would highly consider upgrading to a better room. If you like to walk, this resort is great because they don't use the golf carts a lot. And the mayan rituals and ceremonies are very cool.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise.
1 Thank Nicole J
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I am not sure where to start with the great things I could say about this resort. I am well traveled and have visited the area previously. This resort was a last minute change to our trip and I am delighted we chose to stay here! what a find! Excellent value for money too!

We stayed in the select club. the rooms were large and well appointed. very comfortable beds, bathrobes, slippers and so on. Good aircon, small balconies however. As an eco resort you were provided with a water cooler within the room which i found much more convenient that having little plastic bottles. It also offered hot water and coffee etc was provided along with a good selection of mini bar items.

Part of the select club offer is:
A dedicated adults only area with lovely pool and a large heated jacuzzi which stays open late into the evening.
A select club reception are with free wifi.
A dedicated a la carte breakfast and lunch offer next to the pool, much more civilized that the buffet.
A dedicated beach club, this was a real treat with double beds made up daily with fresh linens, a club house offering drinks and snacks all day, hot shower facilities for after swimming and snorkeling and a quiet evening venue serving drinks until 10pm.
increased a la carte reservations, 6 in total for our fortnight stay.

the resort was just the right size. The environment was lovely, lots of jungle areas, beautiful trees and walkways through the complex, wildlife galore and the cenote adds a really unique Eco resort experience. I would imagine anyone travelling with younger children would find the whole place enchanting.

There is good, free wifi available in public areas.

the Mayan shows held mon - thurs were like non I have seen before. Wonderful ceremonies carried out on site making the most of the natural surroundings and ambiance. the sacred tree ceremony was held just before sunset and the fire ceremony was incredible in the night time jungle setting. for this level of quality and professional show I would have expected to pay a great deal off site as an excursion or cultural attraction.
They painted peoples faces, offered traditional drinks and a whole market of food for the fire show which again I was staggered by. Again if you traveled with children i can not imagine they would not find these shows exciting and completely different to anything they may have seen before. The evening shows in the theatre were not to my liking and very dated, Micheal Jackson type shows and the music was too loud which overpowered the music to the lobby and cenote areas which was annoying.

I love my beaches and the beach at the Caracol has real charm. If you like a sterile beach with no life or interest this is not for you. There are rocks on the beach, but swim shoes are very easy to buy before arriving. The beach was very pretty and there was good snorkeling off the beach, I saw rays, puffer fish, many varieties of fish and sea life. Lovely. It offers a good walk in one direction with lovely vistas along the way.

There we're two buffet services, La laguna was as the name suggests was the main buffet over a small lagoon, this has turtles swimming round and often racoons hunting out tit bits. On occasions it did smell when walking into the dining areas as a result of the stagnant water and some guests didn't like this. However it didn't smell within the facility.

The variety of food was very good and I found the lunch offer to be the best daily. The steak house and brazillian a la cartes are a must. The Italian was not outstanding, similar to buffet food on offer and the Asian was poor due to the limited choice of one starter and one main, not really the Asian way! I understand that it was soon to move into a purpose built restaurant and become a Japanese. The Mexican was closed during our stay which was a shame as it looked like a lovely venue. The sea front Mediterranean has a romantic setting and good surf and turf.

The resort seemed to offer differing sets of guests great facilities. We were a couple seeking peace and time together, which was delivered well by booking the select area. family's were very well looked after, with a on site aqua park and indoor ball pool play area amongst other facilities I noticed. There is a lovely Spa (also free to visit for select club) for grown ups. The main pool was lively and would suit younger guests and those seeking a bit more noise and fun. The sports bar offered free pool and air hockey. there is also a daily cinema showing. eco tours, free bike hire, the list goes on. Overall you could bring the grand kids or your new husband and find it suited you well.

Lastly but not least are the staff at this resort. They go above and beyond in terms of service, they are mostly lovely, happy and friendly people and seem to work incredibly hard. Looking after such a wide variety of international guests very well.

I would recommend this resort to any one who like a bit of adventure and has a love of nature, and welcoming and comfortable environment.

Room Tip: Select club well worth the upgrade for couples. The rooms are however the furthest away from the bea...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank lovetoholiday11
West Hills, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Ice cream out of service.
Large boulder rocks 10 ft from shore (not it) .
Place is huge. Probably a little more than 2square miles. Hope you like walking (a lot).

You'll definitely be walking off your meals

No maps to carry around to guide you. (You'd think)

Villas are 2 and 3 stories. No elevators

If you get the standard room package and thinking about tipping the check-in clerk (wink wink.) For an upgrade. Your getting setup. He'll take your bribe $ and still give you a standard.
You want the JR suite at a minimum if traveling with a kid. But then again I won’t stay here again.

Life guard must have drowned. Was nowhere in sight and heavy waves were coming in.

Hope you don't get hungry while laying out at the beach or pool. No food service there. Gotta make the trip to the 24 hour buffet. Probably 1/4 mile. Hope your a hot dogs and burgers guy cause that's all your getting at the 24.

No premium alcohol. The artificial flavored fruit juices are terrible. Either really cheap or Extremely watered down. Not sure

Yea, little fridge in the room. Day 3. 4 bottles of water gone. fridge is empty, you would think the maid refill the water ( its humid as hell out here)

3rd night, Mattress and pillows like cardboard. OMG. Might as well sleep on the floor. I'm thinking they do this so you pay for a massage. You'll need it. I’m stiff as a board after sleeping here.

The Pool near building 22 has no towels. WTF. Gotta go to the kids pool. About 1/4 mile away to pick up a freagin towel.

There are raccoons everywhere, they are free to roam around anywhere they want, including the 24 hour buffet. Grabbing food right off your plate hissing at you OMG. My kid has permanent fear of raccoons now.

The jungle like environment is cute. But, this is a kids place you'd think there would be some lights on these Jungle like trails. Sandos, I hope you get to read this. Some of the trails are 300 yards long. No light, little lids, its a recipe for disaster.

Reception desk has no clue what’s going on.
I get an e-mail from Virgin America. To check-in for the flight back the next day. Well, I go to front desk so I can print my boarding pass, they tell me no internet no printer here, I must go to business office located about 1/4 mile away. So here I am . Business office aka internet room guess what. There's no printer. OMG vacation from hell.

All the vendors are con artists, especially the cigar salesman. That sets up his booth next to the sports bar. Total scammer. Here I am wanting to try a Cuban cigar, I ask him how much, he said how much u want to spend, I said $5.00. He said OK, lights me up, says "you like". I said yes, I take out 70. pesos a little more then $5. 00 He tells me this is a Cuban, he now wants $20.00 . I Flipped him off he went crazy. Guy is a wack job, stay away from him.

No WiFi in rooms, several areas. Lobby, a few restaurants, sports bar. Best download speed 0.25 mps download.

I can go on and on and on;

You've been warned!!!!!!! Stay away from this place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Alex K
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

The hotel is really nice, specially if you are traveling with children and if you are not latin-american person. You have all kind of amenities and attractions inside the hotel. I celebrated my wedding in Playa del Carmen and unfortunately I chose that hotel as the main concentration point. Some people booked through together with me in the as a group, other people booked direct with flight tickets, there were around 80 people that booked around the wedding day in that hotel (from 4 days to 3 weeks). My guest came from the Netherlands, Belgium, UK, Portugal, Venezuela, Colombia, Chicago, Los Angeles, Norway, Chile, Argentina and of course from Mexico. When you have such a group it is really easy to see the treatment for the Latin-american people. The concierge and the front desk really have bad service to the latin people. I could make a big list but I will give just some examples.

1.- all the people from Europe booked in Club Select (they came only with their couples) and my now my husband and I booked in the family area (due too all our family that was coming). We were passing on the beach and we wanted to sit a bit and have a drink on the beach with our guest but it was the Adults Area only or club select (how they call it). We were kicked out from the area. I send and email to the reservation group organizer if she could do something for us, it was not handy to have the half of the gust in that area and we could not share with them. Martina Mairhofer explicitly said that it was IMPOSSIBLE, that my group did not have so many people in that area (but all the people from Europe booked outside oif the group, they did it direct with their travel agencies). My husband just pass ed by the front desk and just because he is DUTCH, with a big smile they say that there was no problem and they changed our bracelets to have access, that they understand that we have to host our guests.

2.- the wedding day I went to ask in the reception at 7:30 am for bathrobe because I had my make up at 10:00 am. It was 10:20 and I had to go again to the front desk to ask. No response. The bathrobes arrived once the make up had started.

3.- The wedding day my sister went to ask in the reception for a bottle of champagne to make as toast during the make up and the preparations. The front desk said that it was not possible, that they did not have that service. My sister asked that it was ok if we have to pay, she wanted to have a nice preparations but it was not possible even paying for the service. My mother in low just went to ask in the front desk for the champagne (lower kind of room that mine) and of course for her was immediately a yes, the difference is that she is DUTCH and they did not even mentioned any payment, everything was for free.

I can mention so more examples but it is very sad, at the end I had to ask my husband or european guest to ask in the reception. It is really a shame to have be treated like that. The behaviour was repeated agains the Latin-american guests.

Definitely I do not recommend this hotel if you come from any spanish speaking country!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank MARGASCON
Sandos_Caracol, General Manager at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Dear guest,

I am very sorry to see the wrong opinion you took with you as a result of what your personal impression of our staff and services was during your vacation at the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa..

I am the hotel manager of this resort and proudly, a Latin person. I, as most of our members, treat each single guest with the utmost respect and dedication. While I do respect your views and comments, I disagree with your overall statements about service being different to Latin guests.
If you go and check extensively this internet site in which you have expressed voiced your concerns, you will see that the vast majority of all Latin people putting reviews about their stay with us have left this hotel with the best impression.

I will not dispute that someone within our staff as it does happen in every country and hotel in the world, may have acted inappropriately, but from this, to suggesting that our staff in general treat Latin people differently than the rest of our visitors, is certainly something not reflective of the type of hotel we are, our principles and values and our commitment to customer satisfaction.

As I can see that you are a Latin person, I would be more than happy to call you, provided you send me your phone number to the mail address below so that you can share with me all the situations that you suggest that took place during your stay. If we would not care as you believe about our Latin guests, I do believe that I would not be devoting time to even respond to your comments, and please believe me, I am not responding because you expressed your views and comments in English rather than Spanish.

We have in records a conversation you had with our wedding coordinator on a specific day in which a couple was getting married in our hotel, you never commented or let her know of your impression or any of the issues you have detailed above and you never mentioned to any staff member that you wanted to speak to the Manager or any other manager to voice your discontent with any person or particular service..

I hope to be able to talk to you.

Kindet wishes,

Luís Ramírez
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa
Director.caracol@sandos.com
Bolton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

we stayed at the sandos select club for my husbands 40th birthday and enjoyed every minuet of it. The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much and Jose who served us ala carte breakfast and dinner always had a smile on his face. Pedro at the steak house bent over backwards to make our experience special. The ala carte restaurants are very good especially the brazillian, steak and mediteranian restaurant. We very rarely ate at the buffet restaurant only 3 times found the food very nice however sometimes not hot enough. The hotel drinks and cocktails were very nice and lots of choice. I would from our experience definately recommend this hotel but for couples would definately upgrade to select club! Thank you sandos for making our first holiday to Mexico an experience to remember and will definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen S
Oak Forest, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Visited this resort from Nov. 21- 27 with my husband, two kids (age 4 and 2), and inlaws. We arrived at around 11 pm with 2 tired kids and were greeted by rude front desk guy named jugo who wouldnt look at us and explain why my inlaws reservation was gone. Did find out it was expedias fault and not theirs but started bad with rude guy. Marianna took care of our dinner reservations ahead of time by email which was great.
Resort grounds: Amazingly beautiful with something new around each corner. Loved walking the kids around in stroller finding new paths, new animals, new bridge, or new cenote. Make sure you check out the suspension bridge which was fun. Also kids loved going for a bike ride.
Beach: We loved spending al ot of our time here playing in the sand, though my husband had to get up at 6 am to get a good chair by water if werent there by 9, no chairs at all.There's a good spot with no rocks you can walk out but the rocks didnt bother me and my kids wore crocs in the water. We would grab bread from the snack bar and feed the fish with the kids on the sand bags which was fun. Also my husband and son had fun taking out a kayak which is included. Also tried snorkeling which is included but kids were a little too young but they tried. Only complaint is they should have bar on beach or more waitresses on beach because had to walk to pool every time we wanted a drink. Remember to bring sand toys.
Main pool: Its was very nice and great swim up bar. Only complaint would've been nice to be able to eat lunch there instead having to pack up kids and head to restaurant. Make sure you check out iguanas right around pool in the grass.
Waterpark: My kids loved this and were perfect age even the 2 year old. They did have someone making burgers and hotdogs for lunch which was great. Very safe and this is the place we saw monkeys on a lounge chair or walking around, very cool!!
Drinks: They were great, ask for a double to get a normal drink. Had smoothies for kids with real fruit and vegtables. William was a great bartender! Also, Roy went above and beyond. One day my kids were crying because the ice cream machine was closed late at night and he got them cones and made them a drink that tasted like ice cream to put inside.
Sports bar: We had fun there at night having drinks while playing with kids. My kids loved it and always wanted to go there.
Food: Prefrered the Italian for breakfast and lunch because less crowded and faster. Great food!
Something for everybody. Great salads, pasta, pizza, and soup. Best french toast I've ever had. wish there was more mexican food.
Japanese: Left hungry, very small portions and only let you order to courses, but food is very tasty.
Mediterrean: Very good food. Try the stuffed crab!
Los Lirios: Best meal everybody had there. Great steaks, ceasar salad, fried raviolis, and sea bass.
Snack bar: Spent a lot of time here loved cheese fries and ice cream cones. Kids love sitting on swings having ice cream at least 3 times a day. Watch out for animals, one jumped on the table and stole my kids food and left him in tears.The rest of vacation the kids enjoyed yelling at them. Every night theres a great clown making ballon animals. He was great with my kids, they loved him!
Kids Club: Great place. We would take the kids there at night for 30 min to run around while we had a drink. Only left 4 year old there to be in Disney show on Friday. Its was lots of fun for him to get dressed up and be in show. He was a mouse in cinderalla. The best asset to the kids club is Vivian, she is amazing. She runs all the kids activities and my kids loved her. We loved taking our kids to the mini disco at 7pm for games and dancing.
Room: We loved our room we were in 3704 and had a deluxe which is perfect with young kids because we had amazing bubble baths in jacuzzi every night. Also, our balcony overlooked cenote which was soo pretty at night all lite up. We werent to far from anything but loved the walk past cenote and donkeys every day and were right next to water park.
Entertainment: Kids loved fire show on thursday night which you should save your appetite for because theres a big buffet out there. Disney show is great for kids and I enjoyed too, exspecially because my son was in it. Circus show was to boring for my kids. Loved the mayan show on the beach.
Overall: Resort is amazingly CLEAN, every bathroom was as clean as the next, and they were constantly cleaning. Which is great because you know their kitchens must be clean too. Great resort, great price, great for kids. Bring mosquito repellent. We had an amzing time here and would come back anytime!

4 Thank zach309
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,271 reviews

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!