“the best vacation ever”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #83 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The hotel and grounds were just beautiful, the staff were just amazing so friendly and so happy to help you, the food was terrific,special thanks to Mariana Castillo Claudia Carolina R Stephine and many others.Can't wait to go back. Thank you all

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jreid88443

Reviewed 10 December 2012

This was our 3rd stay in the past 13 months with Sandos Caracol, we obviously like the resort. They continue to make improvements to the resort, which is a great sign. Free Wifi in a couple of spots, beepers for kids club and so on. Our son really enjoyed the kids club this time and spent much more time in there than I ever thought he would. The girls all seemed great and very engaged. We tried the steak restaurant in the new Royal Elite building, which was fantastic, incredible building. Lots to see and do, or just hang by the beach all day. The Mayans shows are fantastic, a real treat!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank laketimz
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This review is a recommendation to those people "60 +" who love to travel the Riviera Maya area in Mexico. The Sandos Caracol Eco Resort is definitely a choice that you should consider for many reasons.
The warm hospitality of Sandos Caracol starts with Director/Manager Luis Ramirez. He and his
management team treat all Sandos employees as family, and this is reflected in the quality of
service given to guests. Each and every day, guests are greeted with friendly smiles and a willing attitude to make sure your stay is enjoyable, and that your needs are met.
Every time we stay at Sandos Caracol, we are amazed at the improvements being made to the hotel under Ramirez's leadership. This November, we especially enjoyed, "Live the Xcalacoco Experience". It is authentic presentations of Mayan history and rituals which take place day 1-4 at the Beach, Sun Square, Cenote Cristalino, and again Sun Square.
There are many excellent restaurants to enjoy. In the evening, live music and "Mexican Coffee"is offered in the L'Elefant-Lobby Bar. Swimming in the cenote and adult only pools, the beach activities, Eco-tours, and Spa are some of our favorite activities. One of our favorite staff members, Mariana Urtaza, always checks in with us during our stay to make sure we are having a great time at Sandos.
As you can see, there are many reasons that Sandos Caracol Eco Resort continues to be our Hotel of choice. We look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The select club is a good choice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ks60
Reviewed 8 December 2012

My partner and I stayed at Sandos Caracol between 10th Nov - 24th Nov and had a fabulous time. I had never done an all inclusive holiday before as I'm a bit of an explorer, but this resort provided exploration as well as relaxation which was great.
Check-in was smooth and we were delivered by golf buggy to our room, Room 2121. Junior suite in the family section by the beach. Room was large with 2 double beds and a sofa bed. Beds very comfy. Large shower in bathroom. Didn't use the jacuzzi on the balcony as a few mosquitoes about, but didn't bother us too much.
Fridge in the room stocked with a few beers, water and plenty of soft drinks and was replenished every couple of days. room was cleaned daily to good standard. The room was fine, but I do agree with other reviews that it is not 5 star.
Beach does have some rocks, but there is a patch where you can enter the sea with ease...you'll see when you're there. Free snorkel rental, good snorkelling and clear warm water.
Plenty of loungers, though it gets busy. We dragged ours away from everyone else though which was fine.
Large pool by the beach with 3 bars, there's music and entertainment etc. Get your towels here.
There is a quiter pool which was nice but there was nowhere to get a towel. Good 5min walk to kids pool to get towels which was a bit silly.
This resort is set in the jungle and welcomes the natural habitat, which includes the various animals. There are raccoon type animals that will try and scavenge your food. Tourists are the only ones to blame for this as some people repeatedly threw them food, despite being asked not to by Sandos staff. 'Shoo' the animals away and they will not bother you. I personally liked the fact that there were different animals living in and around the resort. And OF COURSE there are mosquitoes, it's the jungle!! We took our own repellent and I also soaked myself in the repellant that Sandos provide at numerous locations throughout the resort. Mosquitoes LOVE ME but only got 4 bites, great result!
The drinks may not have been 'top shelf' but SO WHAT? They tasted good!!!! Loved my daily Piña Coladas with the odd Frappacino thrown in to keep me sober. The beer is good too.
I was impressed with the food. I've found before that food on mass generally lacks quality, however this is not the case at Sandos. Laguna is the main buffet restaurant with a different theme every night and I had some GREAT meals here. Big chunks of juicy meat, fresh bread and pizzas freshly made. There is something for everyone, Mexican, salads, to the burgers etc etc. Some gorgeous desserts. Breakfast was my fave, BEST BACON EVER. Lunch here is also fab.
There is a 24hr snack bar in the square, it's a SNACK BAR so expect nothing more...it's burgers, fries, nachos, fruit, etc etc....still good food.
There are restaurants that you can book too, but demand is high so get in there quick! My favourite was the Brazilian, great selections of meat bought to your table, yum. The steak restaurant was nice also. I didn't like the Mediterranean restaurant at all, the Greek salad starter was completely tasteless and I didn't enjoy my main either. My partner did however enjoy theirs.
Chinese restaurant wasn't good either, better off going to the Laguna Buffet.
Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, Vicky in Laguna, Marcus and Raul at pool bar to name just a couple. The girls on the front desk deserve a medal....so many rude guests. That's one thing that annoyed me about this holiday, the amount of rude people...no manners at all, no 'please' or 'thank you'....this is basics people. If you are going here, manners cost nothing!
There are Mayan shows on 4 days, I especially enjoyed the evening fire one in the jungle, very good. Entertainment is alright, but not my thing so can't comment too much.
There are bikes you can borrow and cycle a short trail, alright if you have a spare half hour.
Didn't feel the need to upgrade to select. A lot of the select rooms were out by the car park, quite a walk from the beach and also right by the entertainment area where loud music continues until quite late. No benefits there! Howveer the pool and jacuzzis looked nice. The other select rooms where overlooking the pool by the beach, they looked well furnished and lovely, however I wouldn't like to be located here either.
On the beach, turn left and you'll see a series of gazebos. Wee booked a tour with these guys upon recommendation, was great and cheap! $60 for trip to the ruins at Tulum, and then on to. Stunning beach, then for a gorgeous Mexican buffet in a local town in Coba before on to the ruin here. 12 hour day in total with a guide. Good value.
One thing that annoyed me about Sandos...they were very persistent in trying to get us to attend one of their welcome meetings, which we have been told is all about time share. We were on our 12th day at the resort, and they were STILL calling our room.
Anyway, overall we had a great stay here. Just what the doctor ordered. Sunshine, food, drink, relaxation. I would recommend to friends& family. Looks good for kids too.
I think that's it! Thanks Sandos

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sazzle_funk
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We went for seven nights 28th nov -5th dec! weather was fantastic .. even a little too hot for my poor Welsh skin!! true paradise for me and my partner!!

Hotel is large, clean and very rich in jungle.. there alot of secret paths leading to mayan ruins and rope bridges. Every day i was seeing something new. There is a large selection of wild tropical animals to see and also more familiar ones to. There are places to snorkel in the resort and on the beach. you can hire bikes to get around the resort. several pools and getting a deck chair was never difficult. Hotel shop on site and jewellers.. there is also a weekly market that sets up outside the spa. The hotel has a spa and gym, as customers you have access to spa, gym and steam room which is all modern and clean. There is a beauty spar available was a range of treatments...ask at the spa desk for pricelist.

Rooms were basic but clean and cleaned daily and mini bar replenished daily. upgrades were available from $22 per night but we wasn't to bothered about that personally. Its a big resort and some rooms are further away from the centre of the resort..not too far but I suggest to ask for a central room if it could become difficult for you. - good access for wheelchairs users.

Food was good, there was a couple of buffet restaurants which has a large variety of foods open at main meal times and there was a 24 hour snack bar which served nibbles and drinks for when ever you liked. as i was there for one week we were entitled to 3 a' la carte meals we choose Italian, grill and Brazilian.. Brazilian was the best!

Resort Activities .. there were plenty of resort activities through out the day, every day which were displayed clearly on the board outside the 24 hr snack bar.. they ranged from sports, group activities, eco tours, bingo, Mayan dances, circus shows, 70s/80s discos, popular tribute acts, and in the theatre they plenty a popular movie from about half 5pm and there plenty more very enjoyable!! there is also a weekly meeting with all senior staff (including manager) if there were any customer concerns, improvements or positive feedback.. we did not intend to go but found ourselves in amongst the crowds and music.. i blame it on the sushi and mojitos personally haha

excursions- there are resort tours and excursion desk which were reliable and fairly priced. all would include transport from resort to the site of interest.. plenty to see in mexico and there are over 30 different leaflets to explain where to go and what to do!!

There was no language barrier and i truly enjoyed... Sarah + Martin

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sarah p
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Stayed her recently and was a little disappointed. The buffet was alright but we were unable to make reservations except for once at the restaurant. We were told they were booked but we noticed that they had many tables available. Activities were hit or miss, stretching was on the schedule daily but only took place on some days. Entertainment was ok but again not every night.
The worst was the raccoons at night at the snack bar where they would come up on the table and steal your fries. One nnight while in the buffet I looked up to see a raccoon staring at me and putting his little hands through the netting to try to get some food.
Room was comfortable and big enough. they did stock the refrigerator. Pools were so cold I couldn't even swim in them. the ocean was much warmer although their were a lot of rocks and you needed shoes to walk out. The spa was way overpriced although there were people doing reasonably priced massages on the beach.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I just got back from spending a week at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort and Spa and had a fabulous time. I was a little leery because I have read some bad reviews about it, but it was amazing. I got married there and we were a group of 30. Check in was a breeze with no lines and an welcome drink (virgin for the kids) waiting for us when we arrived. I was worried that this resort would be to large for a big group, but it was easy to navigate (once you figured out the layout) and we were always running into people from our group. The beach volleyball at 3 each day was tonnes of fun and the nightly entertainment was good (The audio system is a bit dated so when they show projections during their show it is a bit fuzzy) The food was amazing, the buffets were huge and I loved the sports bar (they made great mocha's, as does the Italian buffet) for the location and drinks. Our group got put in buildings 22-27 which was close to the beach and right beside a pool. We literally had our own pool and bar to hang out beside during the day. This hotel was a full occupancy but it never felt overly crowded. You did need to plan ahead to book the al carte restaurants (but I have found this the case in most resorts).
The rooms were clean, we had the junior suite on the 3rd floor. My only complaint would be that the beds and pillows are hard as a rock (I know the beds are very nice in the select side) luckily for me, I can sleep on anything so I didn't mind them. However, my sister isn't as lucky and had horrible sleeps. As far as the mosquito complaint, I didn't see any. The romantic boat ride and eco-tours are definitely worth taking an advantage of and the cenote was beautiful.
Now to the best part....the wedding. Fernanda did an amazing job setting up our wedding, the location was absolutely breathtaking and the decorations (included in our free wedding package) were unbelievable. We had our dinner in the steak house, the food was amazing, Fernanda decorated out table beautifully and the location was right off the beach. Then we moved back outside for our reception (their was a cost for this but it was well worth it. We had our own private bar set up just for us). The wedding cake was the best dessert we had the whole time we were there (I don't think that Mexico is known for their desserts which worked out great because I am totally a dessert person and I was happy not to have them tempting me. Although the ice cream is really yummy. I found the spa very overpriced (I got my hair and makeup done,). I recommend getting massages on the beach just outside of the resort area ($35 for 1 hrs massage, which was great!) beside the adults only beach area. The select club was nice (we got a free upgrade because we were the bride an groom) but not worth the extra money if you had to pay for it (We didn't stay in the rooms because we have 4 kids, but I might have a thought it was worth it if I got to sleep in the comfy beds). We ordered a cot to our room and they brought a whole twin bed which was great. Oh one other thing, our balcony (which was three stories up) had nothing to prevent our 2 year old from climbing up the sides and potentially falling over the edge so we had to make sure the door was closed at all times. It was a little scary. All in all, for the price, this resort did not disappoint. I would be surprised to find a resort with a better wedding location, wedding package and wedding coordinator. Thanks again Fernanda for making my wedding amazing. Oh one last thing, the photo shop did an amazing job on our wedding pictures and was very affordable.

Room Tip: The select club definitely had better beds, pillows and linens. If you are staying in a standard ro...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family