“First Time To Mexico”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #82 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My son and his family went to Caracol last year. My wife and I decided to accompany them this year as a 40th anniversary present to ourselves. We had a terrific time. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. It was fun to see the animals roaming the grounds, with the possible exception of when they try and jump on your table in the snack bar and snatch food off your plate, as they seem prone to do in the evening. The shows and other evening activities were nicely done, and offered nice variety. Food at the al a carte's was generally excellent (Mediterranean was the favorite). The buffets were pretty common and became less appealing as the 10 days wore on. The grounds are very extensive, so you will give your pedometer a workout getting around. The rocky beach is well documented, so I won't dwell on that. The activities in the pool are a bit repetative, but it really contributed to a festive atmosphere. The staff was very curteous and genuinely seemed commited to accomodating your needs. If I had to grump about anything, it would be the room service was hit and miss. Some days they would leave the appropariate numbers of towels and washclothes, and some days they didn't. The beds are very firm, but I liked that. The pillows were like sleeping on sacks of flour however. Most of the RS staff does not speak English, so communicating is a challenge. Complaining to guest services and the concierge did not produce any improvement. Since this is our first experience with all inclusives, and a family friendly resort is a requirement (going with the grandchildren is a treat) I don't have a basis to compare, but would not hesitate to go here again.

Room Tip: The buildings in the 30's are more centrally located in realtion to plaza and beach.
1  Thank Watson52
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

We are so glad that you and your family had such a fantastic time here. We really appreciate your praise regarding all our excellent hard working staff in the hotel, and they are all so happy that they contributed to your overall positive experience. We have taken your suggestions into consideration and inform you that our goal is to keep on improving constantly not only the rooms also some other interesting issues our guests as yourself let us know, we appreciate your input very much.

We hope that you will be back to see us again in the future, write us before and we repeat this fantastic experience once again!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was an AWESOME resort to stay at. I would HIGHLY recommend going here, especially if you've got kids.

I loved eating breakfast with the parrots, peacocks and other animals every morning, or watching the slider turtles swim by and catch some sun. There are monkeys, deers, donkeys, kittens and other neat animals on site which make it all so much more interesting. They also provide daily eco tour activities and nightly entertainment. You could keep yourself busy just by staying at this resort. Oh they also have daily bike tours that take you to the Mayan ruins they have on site as well.

Every day their eco tours include some activity or learning experience around Mayan culture. One of the guys giving the eco tours was highly educated to be doing what he was doing, and LOVES his job, it shows through in his passion. I was the only one that showed up for one of the tours and told him he didn't have to take just me alone and could have a break, but he was like "no, I love doing this!" and he really wanted to take me on the tour. Eventually two more joined in with their daughter, but he was just as eager to do this for a small group as he would for a big group. It really goes a long way when you have staff as passionate as that.

The hotel room was just as described in the photos, so I was happy for that - no lies or false advertising. It's also quite clean. However, there were some bugs in my room but I figured well, this is Mexico, so you deal with it. Not a lot, but still kind of gross. There was also a smell of something, maybe mould, but I'm not sure. I just washed everything when I was back. That is one reason I would give it 4 starts and not 5.

But honestly, this was an extremely well staffed, put together, well organized, fully thought out resort. Super professional and every one is so friendly there. Even the gardeners would say "Ola" to you as you walked by.

Room service was also prompt and I got a free upgrade when I was there. It was very kind of them. They also have a doctor on staff 24 hours which is good and although there's no wifi in the rooms, you can get really decent wifi in some public areas, like enough to stream video. I found that amazing - they weren't cheaping out on that. They've won awards and things, and are a really great hotel to stay at.

Food is great. I only went to buffets and didn't use any of my a la carte reservations because I like to eat when I'm hungry, not when "it's time" to go to a reservation. Plus I was in Mexico and wasn't there to eat Asian or Greek food - I wanted the full Mexican experience! I only wish the Mexican buffet restaurant was open more often (it's not open for lunch or breakfast either I think). But the International restaurant was open for 3 meals a day, and they would have something Mexican there in the way of food anyway, so I guess that was ok. The selection was great, and when you're there, ask for watermelon water or papaya water - don't settle for the 'regular' juices you'd get at home!

Their snack bar is open 24 hours a day and it's not only "snacks" - I mean you could get a hot dog and a decent fast-food type of meal there at any time of day if you wanted. Even fresh fruit, coffee, juice - you won't ever go hungry in this resort! Oh and there are quite a few bars that will serve both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks (like smoothies - as much as you want!) and espresso-style coffee (the mocha is soooo good!)

They do a lot to keep the kids busy. They even had a piñata making session and I was so jealous I couldn't go as an adult!

Sunday is Mariachi night and that seems to be one of the only nights you can get truly all-Mexican entertainment in. I wish there was more of that. It is a very hilarious show. I LOVED the performer. He was very engaging.

You don't have to tip at this resort because it's all inclusive, but honestly the staff is all so amazing, so willing to help, so nice and always going out of their way for you, so I think they deserve tips :)

The last few days I was there I would get these neat towel arrangements formed into a fish, a bunny rabbit or a doll. That's on top of the swan towel arrangement you get when you first arrive. And on the last day they put flower petals on my bed in the shape of a heart!

Oh also something they don't tell you on all their advertising is they have crafts that you can do. Some cost extra I think, but still fun to do. And they have a souvenir shop on site, to save you from having to go into town, and yes, it's fairly reasonably priced.

This place is also built to be as eco friendly as possible. So they didn't get rid of their mangroves for the sake of making all beach front rooms - that really ruins the environment. There are also natural cenotes (sink holes) there and you can go snorkelling and see fish and turtles right on site.

If you go on tours, you'll get picked up right at the lobby and can also book your tours on site. They also have pay phones.

Oh another reason I would give this place 4 stars instead of 5 is that to call a toll free number you get charged $6 to dial out. That's strange. So if you want to use your own calling card, you get charged extra. But people can call in to the resort and request your room number and that won't cost you anything, so that's ok. And I guess wifi in the rooms would have been nice.

The beach is quite rocky - like really, really rocky, it's almost impossible to swim or even walk in there and it hurt a lot to try to get out of there (stubbed my toes more than once!). They really need to work on that. But I heard the entire area is rocky south of Cancun, so what can you do. The pools are very nice, and the adults-only pool is very warm, which I liked because I don't like cold water. You can taxi to their other resort in Playa Del Carmen which I heard from another traveller has a much nicer beach.

Other than that, I think this place is great!

Room Tip: The Select Club is quieter because it's adults only and you won't hear the loud music from t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Joyce G

Dear Guest,

A holiday is what you make it to be and that is what you did! Thank you very much for leaving this wonderful and complete review to all our future visitors and also to the management of the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort. Your valuable comments are very much appreciated and also the time it has taken, and we feel honoured that you wrote so many nice words about our resort!

I am glad that you had time to join one of our eco tours, they are a very important part of our Xcalacoco Experience which is one of the things that differentiates us from the other all-inclusive resorts. Furthermore, I am glad that you enjoyed our selection buffets and that you got to enjoy your time here with us.

Regarding the beaches, in Mexico they are federal property therefore no hotel is allowed without due government permission, to undertake any corrective work even if it is to improve it or make it more accessible not only to customers around the hotel within that beach area, but the public at large.
We have thousands of customers who visited this property in the past, many who still come as re-peat customers and can agree that our beach was one of the nicest beaches in the area and that indeed it has endured some negative changes in the past years as a result of terrible weather conditions such as storms and systematic erosion. We will make it better when the permission of the government is in our hands.

May 27- June1, 2014

I normally don't write reviews but I thought I really needed to this time because of some of the negative comments written. I am sure there are occasional problems but if our experience was the norm, this is a very nice resort. Our room was very clean and the staff did a nice job of cleaning it on a daily basis. While the room is kind of basic, I wouldn't expect more from an eco-resort. The beds were firm but we slept well, bathroom, shower, sink areas were all clean. The a/c worked well. The only problem was the ceiling fan made some noise so we just shut it off. The fridge was also well stocked. We had absolutely no problems with the room - which was a standard room.

The place is huge with a lot of daily/nightly activity. We saw a couple of the night shows and they were well done. Yes,the beach is rocky but it isn't difficult to find a place to get wet. As others have suggested bring beach shoes. The cenote was beautiful and it was a very refreshing place for a swim. We could have probably just stayed at the resort and we would have had plenty to do. The food at the buffets was good. We had excellent meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner at all of the buffet restaurants. Because we were there for 5 nights we were able to select two of the ala carte restaurants. We picked the steak place and the Brazilian restaurant. The meals at both were incredible as was the service. Even though this is an all inclusive, I would encourage people to tip the staff. They all worked very hard and were quite friendly.

The only drawback is that upon arrival you are greeted by an individual who is "there to give you an orientation" after you register. This is the timeshare presentation. While I was already aware they would try this, it is really unfair to trick people in this manner. I am sure there are people who are tricked into thinking this will provide them a lot of information about the resort. While it may provide you with a better understanding, it is actually a ploy to get you into a long, undesirable meeting with a lot of high pressure individuals. I declined in a polite manner, but I had to decline at least two more time and each time I was a little more direct. He finally took the clue and said if I wanted to meet later to let him know. I kind of felt like after this the registration staff just leaves you on your own to find your room which was fine with me. I also asked if there was a map and they said one was posted in our room - true but nothing is identified on it. Funny because I went about 10 feet down from registration and the concierge gave me a nice map with everything identifiable. This was really the only negative thing that happened and if you are aware of it up front you can fairly easily avoid getting sucked in. Other than that it was a very nice week. We went snorkeling about 25 minutes from the resort, snorkeled at Akumal Beach, visited Tulum, snorkeled in several cenotes - one was completely underground and rode ATV's through the jungle. Lots of good memories.

12  Thank rbm3clover

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for trusting the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort and choosing us to enjoy your holidays. We really appreciate that you are taking the time to send us some valuable comments about your stay with us, and we will pass on the comments to all the departments mentioned. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort.

I am glad to hear that you were happy with your room, the staff and our general service and that you had a good time during your stay here with us and we hope to see you soon in paradise!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice staff. Clean rooms. Staff remembered us from a year before. We do get the penthouse as we like room service and little extras. The food is very good and easy to get. Kids entertained with special activities like mechanical bull and water orbs. Hors d'oeuvres served at the pool side in afternoon. Love the beach Zumba! Probably go back. We do like to change places though. Have yet to get to Disney.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Linda L
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Linda,

Your comments regarding your recent stay in the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort are very much appreciated by the entire team of workers you recently met during your holidays.

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on Trip Advivor site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort. All of our staff endeavour to deliver a personal touch to all guests in the hotel, and we are delighted that you experienced this.

In the hope we will see you soon again in the Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort, we invite you to write us a mail before your visit to help you with any requests you may have.

webrelations.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I recently stayed at Sandos(late May), with my sister, brother in law and nephew. We had a great time. I don't even know where to begin! The place is amazing,the staff is soooo friendly and always goes above and beyond in getting you anything you want!It was our first time in Mexico and I will definitely come back to this resort.All of the restaurants were great,there is a Italian buffet, international, Japanese, Brazilian, and 24 snack bar! we especially loved the Japanese restaurant, this was my favorite. The only "negative" I would say is the people at check in trying to sell timeshares and offering a tour? which turns into a longer day tour.. a waste! It didnt happen to me, but it did to my sister.. other than that we had no issues. The beach is beautiful! I loved the bike riding.. My sister and I rode the trail to the ruins, very cool. I like how they incorporate the jungle and nature. I also snorkeled in the cenote! There is sooo much to do here, that you cannot get bored. Also "JC" was very helpful and nice and helped me book my snorkeling and Tulum excursions. He is very dedicated, and even came back to find me to ask me how my stay was or if I needed anything. bottom line, the staff is AMAZING, very helpful and caters to all needs, the food was great, many different options, we were traveling with a 12 yr old, and he was happy! The beach is awesome, and you cannot be bored! The only negative was that I should have booked a few more days! I will definitely be back.. Also be warned, you will have to walk ALOT around the resort..It is very spread out. I didnt mind that, loved the trails..but this could be a downfall for some. I cannot wait to go again!

4  Thank ct29
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,

All the special employees mentioned in your amazing review as well as the rest of the Sandos team cannot thank you enough for the beautiful words written.

We can read the appreciation for the restaurants, for the special spots such as our jungle and the ruins we have in Sandos Caracol as well as the employees that made your stay even better. Furthermore, I am happy to hear that you got to enjoy snorkelling in our cenote and that you also found time to take the bikes and got to make some outdoor activities.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you again soon, and if there is anything I can do for you before your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me!

webrelations.caracol@sandos.com

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We won't be going back. The beds are beyond hard. If you can't get restful sleep your entire vacation it tends to make a person a bit grumpy, even in paradise:(. The staff are friendly and the restaurants are incredibly clean. We did however find that the glass wear in our room was not replaced with clean glasses but rinsed out and put back on the counters. That was disturbing.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank jkc14
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Pros: Beautiful property, this was our first time at an all inclusive beach resort, and it exceeded our expectations. Exceptional staff at the La Jungla restaurant for breakfast each morning.
Yoga was one of the trip's highlights with Juan Carlos the instructor! My wife has been taking yoga classes for some time, and she convinced me to try it at the resort, since it was included. I work out at the gym 5 days a week, and consider myself to be in excellent shape, expecting yoga to be easy. It was not easy, and I found it as challenging as a gym workout without any equipment. Juan Carlos is a great teacher, and was able to teach to both beginners like myself and experienced yogis. The setting on the deck near one of the cenotes is a beautiful spot for morning yoga, and I truly felt detoxified and ready for each day after class.

Cons: There was no WiFi in the Adult Select rooms. In 2014, I expect to have WiFi in every room of an All Inclusive resort, not just the Royal Select (time share) rooms.
Also, the floors were very slippery on our last day, and I slipped on the last stair of our building. While the polished stone stairs are beautiful, there should be a rougher grating to prevent injuries to guests. I would choose a lower floor next time for this reason.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your time spent here at Sandos Caracol Eco Experience Resort, we feel honoured that you have selected us for your first all inclusive beach resort and are very proud that we were able to even exceed your expectations.
I am happy to hear that your that you got to enjoy the yoga morning classes with Juan Carlos, they indeed are the perfect way to start into the day perfectly energized.

Furthermore, I want to thank you for your suggestions, we constantly try to evolve and improve ourselves and comments like yours allow us to do that!

We hope that you will be back to see us in the future!

Kindest regards,

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!