“Perfect place for family a real all inclusive”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #83 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great hotel a real all inclusive 24hrs you can eat and drink what you want. Is not like other hotels that only have one restaurant and 2 bars and everybody is fighting to get a drink. Here are several of this stands, you are walking and you find a drink stand, a few steps more, another.

There is a pool bar with shade, excellent to relax a little. What i like most you have a small fridge inside the room with soft drinks and a couple of beers, and is free, you take and next day when they do your room the fridge is refilled.

Areas for kids are awesome, kid's pool can assure hours of fun for kids, also there is a place with games for kids where you can left them there for hours and there is people that take care of children so you can go sleep to your room or spend couple time while they are busy.

Hotel's area is so big, don't know how many acres but lots, you can walk for hours between the jungle, there are beautiful walkways where you can enjoy a little bit of nature, also you can ride on bike.

All days at night there are good shows for all family so you can end the day with a nice taste.

Also there is a "cenote" (which is a natural well) where you can do some snorkel, is big enough to enjoy, water is so clear and you can see some fishes and water life.

This is perfect for family there are tourism from all the world so you can do friends in all languages

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Eder55

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We traveled as a couple to Sandos the last week in July and stayed for six nights. I have so many wonderful positive things to say about the resort from our experience. Typically I would not write reviews but I must say I read all of the Sandos Trip Advisor's reviews because I was so very anxious about what to expect on our trip AND this would be my only vacation for the year so I wanted to make sure we received a great experience! I can tell you from a couple's standpoint that Sandos really is a great resort to vacation. Read the reviews and heed the advice that others write about and contact the resort ahead of time if you have other questions or concerns. I also suggest emailing your reservations ahead of time for the ala carte restaurants.

First! Bring water shoes....seriously the ocean water is spectacular but you must wear shoes because of the rocky surface. The water is magnificent and the fish are wonderful to watch and photograph. The beach itself is beautiful and there is plenty of lounge chairs available. On the adult section it was difficult to get one of the 'beds' because folks reserve them with towels early in the morning. We watched as one of the beds was empty for four hours but was taken over by someone's beach gear. I feel that is rude and inconsiderate. I did see a few visitors get upset by the fact that towels occupied the beds without folks using them. One family of 10 or more took over the adult pavilion by leaving rafts, towels, personal items all over the chairs as they left the beach for a few hours. We asked them if we could sit in the chairs and they said 'no' they were reserved. So I would strongly suggest more signage about reserving a lounger, bed or chair for more than an hour. I am not certain if that would deter folks but it might help.

The Adult section on the beach has a beautiful facility with great wifii available. There is a bar but it gets crowded and backed up because it is small and there is only one bartender. I would recommend the bar be expanded because the 'clubhouse' space is underutilized. We sat six days at the beach and rarely did a waitress get our drinks for us. She was there but mostly collected cups and shied away from taking orders. It may because her English was not good and she was intimidated but I would like to see more service on the beach area because I didnt like waiting in line and I thought the bartender was a bit 'grumpy'. We visited the beach in the evening because the bar stays open until 10. It is a beautiful spot to hang out and listen to the water roll onto shore. I loved the vendors who walked on the beach and enjoyed talking to them..I am glad they are permitted to do this. We were never bothered by a Sandos employee or vendor...everyone is polite and uses good manners.

The adult pool had the BEST service! The waitress circulates around the pool nonstop taking drink orders and she was ALWAYS smiling as were all the employees at the Brazilian restaurant! I loved eating breakfast and lunch there. The food is wonderful and there is plenty of variety to choose from. The pool always had open loungers throughout the day and sitting under the umbrellas helps with the hot weather. The pool is beautiful and so is the large whirlpool - yes the water is very warm but no one can control that! It still felt so good to swim and hang out in the pool. Two complaints: I felt the whirlpool could be cleaner or updated and I became very irritated with a gentleman who played music from his phone that was rap or something else. Management needs to stress that those wanting their own music MUST wear earplugs! This happened every day we were there...I complained once to the waitress but didnt want to cause a major scene.

My companion had spa services and said it was the best he had ever had. The hydrotherapy pool is really great except some of the jets were not working and I thought it was a little dirty. I got a massage on the beach for $35 and it was wonderful. Even though we didnt use the gym I did go inside and look at the equipment....it is very impressive with machines and free weights and very very clean!

We never swam at the other pools but I thought the Aqua Park was adorable (I cant wait to take my grandsons to visit next year) and it seemed the other pools were always busy with people too.

No one ever approached us about a 'timeshare' and I have to say I was a little disappointed in that because by mid week we were falling in love with the resort and would have liked some information.

The ala carte restaurants really provided good food...I have been to three other resorts and Carnival Cruise, I felt the food was as good as the cruise and much better than the other three resorts we had visited in Cancun. I didnt like the Brazilian ala carte because it serves mostly red meats and I eat very little of that but if you like a variety of meats you will love the dinner there. My favorite place to eat was the Mediterranean restaurant. We sat next to the waterfall and cenote-the atmosphere was amazing and the menu choices were great. Loved the Japanese food but it was so very very hot next to the grills it was almost unbearable. I am not sure how the chef's cook beside the grills....but the food was amazing. We had to leave because I became a little over heated and thought I would pass out. We didnt receive any dessert there so that was a little disappointing. The Italian and Steak and Seafood restaurants were equally as good....but for me the Mediterranean was my favorite!

We ate at the Italian buffet for lunch once and it was very good, I did not like the fact that small children were at the buffet without supervision and they seemed to be underfoot. Parents really should be more responsible and not allow children under seven or eight to get their own food. I saw the same things at the International Buffet-unsupervised kids jumping ahead putting their hands on food and not using good manners. Perhaps signage telling parents they must handle the food for the children would be appropriate. I also thought there could have been some tables set aside away from kids for those of us who were in the adults only. I just dont want to deal with crying kids or kids running around when I eat.

We upgraded our room to one of the penthouses and OMG we were NOT disappointed. We had a lovely room in building 71 - it was perfect because of the location next to the lobby and the pool. We were able to get wifii in our room and that was great too. The room had a little musty smell to it but there was a dehumidifier so that was ok. Our frig was always stocked and room service was wonderful. The bed was fine to both of us...we had no complaints.

The grounds of the resort are amazing and we loved walking the paths. The evening shows were all good unfortunately the Mayan shows were always packed and we never had a good seat for any of them. But from what I saw they were amazing.We watched some of the evening shows that were after the main shows-those were our favorites but there was very little seating available and when we did get a table there literally was very little service and we never got served a drink because there was only one waitress. We would have watched the shows longer if the service had been better.

For the price I would definitely go back to Sandos Caracol. I have vacationed on the US east coast many places and will no longer do this because of the wonderful hospitality of the employees, the all inclusive food and drink, the beautiful beach and grounds. I truly felt I went on a vacation and was treated very special! Thank you to the staff at Sandos and God bless

Room Tip: Call ahead of time and ask for the rooms that is located to where you will be spending your time. E...
2  Thank GMA612014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having read the previous reviews (which I always take with a pinch of salt) we arrived at Sandos with as much info as we could know in advance.

Firstly, check in is crowded, but it's a large hotel so that is to be expected, they bring you a drink whilst you wait so all good.

Our room (junior suite) was in block 75, just behind the lobby and over looking the cenote, amazing view! The room was spacey and the beds comfy, towels changed daily if you wanted (we didn't as that's just being wasteful really as this is an Eco resort after all!). The maid Anita was fab, lovely towel animals left on the beds now and again, not too over the top.

Wifi in room, all communal areas & beach!

We never saw or were approached by anyone selling time share.

Beach is lovely but rocky, take water shoes.

Dive school very good, my husband did 10 dives with them, good value for money too.

Al a carte restaurants are excellent, Alex and Martin at concierge desks are brilliant, Alex reserved our restaurant choices in advance by email and Martin looked after us when we added more bookings on and made amendments in resort. Always smiling & helpful, nothing too much trouble for him.

The main buffet restaurant is a bit hit and miss, early meals are best when it is quiet, we went to breakfast mainly between 7-8 and it was bliss, 9 onwards was horrendous!! So noisy and too many people jostling for the food. The omelet station at breakfast was outstanding. Just one lady serving lots of people very well. There never seemed a good fine for dinner! We didn't go there for lunch - we want to the Italian buffet at lunch time which is much more calmer and a better experience, they serve none Italian food at that time of day, so all good.

The bar at the main pool did get very busy as for some reasons the beach bar was closed, which as the hotel was so busy I found odd. The lobby bar has waiter service so that was nice, my only other comment about the bars would be that there were lots of Mexicans staying at the hotel and as they can obviously speak the language they'd shout their orders over your head and the bar staff would serve them, this is rude and unacceptable in my opinion, but really is my only negative comment so I managed to keep calm but it was frustrating when you've waited your turn.

We hire a car from National Car hire in reception, again no issues. Our Thomas Cook rep was very good too.

The communal areas are well cared for. Staff work hard but are always smiling and everyone says hello.

We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Debbie E
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Let me start this review by saying that there are 3 different tiers of "All-Inclusive" at this resort, and ours was the bottom one. Now, the upsetting part of that was that we were never told about these different tiers, we were just placed in the lowest one. I had heard beforehand about the "Royal Elite" tier, and even inquired about it when I emailed the concierge about our reservation, but was told everything was $59/person/day (not a bad price). When we checked in we asked if we could have a room closer to the pool, we were told nothing was available so just took our room. We then found out our room was on the complete opposite side of the resort from the pool! And check out a map of this place, it's HUGE! All the restaurants, pools, etc were all on one side of the resort and we were a 15 minute walk away! We then discovered that people who checked in the same day as us and later in the day got closer rooms! We also had an incident one day when it rained and our room flooded really bad. I called 3 times, went to the front desk and was told each time someone would be there but no one ever came! I ended up opening the housekeeping closet and getting a broom and sweeping it out myself! My wife and I joked, but were partly serious, that if we were Royal Elite, there's no way that would've happened! It was also frustrating that we could not even get room service to our room! Only the top two tiers got that. How is this place all-inclusive again? It was really inconvenient the day there was a monsoon and we had to trek through the rain to get food or drinks. It was also a bummer that we couldn't order food to the pool too.

Outside of those things, it really was a beautiful resort, albeit huge. The room was very nice, indoor hot tub, and a fridge that was kept stocked with pop and beer. The food was also delicious. We went during 4th of July and they even had a USA flag cake and served what looked like a Thanksgiving dinner haha. The restaurants on the resort were also delicious! The Brazilian food was incredible (even though I was drunk after watching the USA World Cup match!) and the Japanese restaurant was amazing as well! Both the bar and restaurant staff were very polite and helpful. Sometimes they were a little slow, and it seemed like we were forgotten about, but there was a lot of people there. The pool was also very nice. The bad thing was that there was ALWAYS someone walking around trying to get you to sign up for excursions. I didn't go on vacation to be hassled the entire time.

Overall it was a decent resort. Obviously, it would've been a much better experience had we known how to upgrade to a higher tier. We were on vacation and would've happily spent more money for a better experience. Unfortunately we are never going to this resort again. I don't go on vacation for a 3 star experience.

Room Tip: Don't settle for family package but try to get Select or Royal Elite.
3  Thank kcrenshaw1988
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My bride and I planned our desitantion wedding exclusively via e-mail with the wedding coordinator, Marine Larret. She was very helpful and very polite via email. When we arrived to the resort she personally greeted us and made sure every creature comfort was afforded to my new bride and I. Our wedding was spectacular and exceeding all our expectations! Marine went far out of her way to make sure our last minute requests were met, even past our wedding date. Our guests had an absolute best and we owe it all to Marine. If you are thinking of having a destination wedding, I highly suggest you contact Marine Larret at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort and Spa in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

3  Thank Phillip L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Sandos Caracol is a great family getaway. The kids will love the abundance of wildlife. The early morning trail walks with a cup of coffee, had you eager to get out of bed each morning. Monkeys, deer, snakes, iguana, etc., all while crossing a suspension bridge through a waterfall in the jungle made it unforgettable. Shows, cocktails, and food options were good. Snorkeling off the beach was surprisingly good and safe for kids. We will definitely return to sandos caracol!

Room Tip: If you spend a lot of time at the pool, get a room close to the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kr0m
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This place is good for families, friends, everyone! They offer a lot of great services on site. Every morning my friends and I took a yoga class with Juan Carlos. He was such a great instructor, it made me look for a yoga studio close to home. We also went on a bike tour of the property led by Mayolo. We were so intrigued with the tour. He did such an amazing job of drescribing everything for us. He even taught us about a few trees that helped us when we went on other excursions. I would definitely return to this resort for another vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends