“Perfecto!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
hove
“Perfecto!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked last minute through a website, and recieved a Thomas Cook holiday. I really loved the resort. We stayed in the select adults area and had a jacuzzi bath in our room. It was just myself and my (now) fiancé but I can see the appeal for families with children too. There is a lot available on the resort, and it's completely unique with the natural area being respected, wildlife, cenote, snorkelling on the reef, introduction to the Mayan history. I learnt to catamaran sail quite reasonably with freddy in the resort, and many different fish swam right next to me literally by the shoreline! Wow mexico, you've stolen my heart! We loved the adults beach palapa with waiter service, we loved our romantic boat ride, we loved out romantic meal, thanks to the sub director Nicky for our surprise flowers and towel arrangement on the bed when we had our romantic meal on the beach, blew me away and I'm sure we will treasure this trip forever. The waiters and waitresses, especially Grey in the Brazilian adults only section were tireless, engaging friendly warm and fun. It's got so much, we stayed for 10 nights and honestly, we needed 14 at least. We did a couple of trips, tulum, coba, playa del carmen jewellery shopping and there's loads we didn't get time for. Trip of a lifetime, I'm definitely coming back. Only suggestions to eco sandos, our room service was hit and miss, took ages a few times for a sandwich order ie an hour, but tasted good. Mini bar restocking seemed as and when they were passing, not regular, and also the room cleaning..annoying to keep asking for toiletries and bath robes which were part of the room we booked Left safe open accidentally one day, not entirely sure if a / couple of £20 note went missing?? Other than that, it's got really high standards of cleanliness and service, and it was perfect for us. Can't wait to go back already! We paid £££ and got £££ good value.

Room Tip: Our room had a natural feel, not overly modern and soulless, and loved the jacuzzi bath, great choic...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lauralasheshove
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear guest,

We are very proud to read that we accomplished to be the perfect place for your vacations and thank you for sharing your opinion on the tripadvisor website.

I will make sure to let JNicki and Grey about how their help made your holiday a much better experience. All of our staff endeavour to deliver that personal touch to all guests in the hotel, and we are delighted that you experienced this customised service.

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

Please make sure to contact us prior to your arrival next time you come so we can help you with any requests you may have.

webrelations.caracol@sandos.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,204)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The best experience in Mexico! We came down for a wedding with 25 adults! Stayed in the adults only section which was amazing! Th resort does an amazing job with the wedding, ceremony, reception, everything! The service and food was amazing! I loved the Eco experience and having the adventures right in the resort! We were also there during spring equinox which was amazing cultural experience!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Laura K
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write this positive feedback about your stay in Sandos Caracol

At Sandos Hotels we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to know that we have achieved our goal.

This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, we are proud to know that everyone provide a high quality service, we will pass your kind comments to the staff.

We would be glad to welcome you again when visiting the Mexican Caribbean next time.

Hays, Kansas
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were a family of 11, 7 adults and 4 grandkids! The whole resort was a great experience for all of us, from snorkeling in the ocean and cenote, the wonderful restaurants, the kids shows,to the beautiful Eco setting with all the animals, we loved it all! Our rooms were great, service was great, there's not one thing we didn't like. It was super fun, we would definitely love to come back again someday,

Room Tip: We stayed in building #35 , had 4 rooms, no problem with the location, close to the lobby and the b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marilyn H
Dear guest,

Your comments regarding your recent stay in the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa are very much appreciated by the entire team of workers you recently met during your holidays.

In the hope we will see you soon again in the Sandos resorts, we invite you to write us a mail before your visit to help you with any requests you may have.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I gotta say the hotel is excellent, very clean rooms, all the premises, restaurants and super friendly people. The only BUTS I have are: the tv's in the room back in the days ones; the cable service not sure what it was no decent channels to view. 3 of the restaurants you had make reservations in order to eat there. The beach very rock and dirty; the pool water way to hot..ufff.
They have this donkey close to lobby the smell is horrible, horrible. The buffet when the food run out it took quite some time to get them to put some more. The Cenote you are only allowed 20 min and then your out.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

The opinion of every traveler helps us to maintain or in this case to improve experiences in our resort and we want to thank you for your time in leaving us your view on our resort.

Every opinion shared it's very important for us and taken very seriously and it is thanks to this reviews that we can improve our service and facilities and work harder to make our resort the best available option for our guest.

We hope in the future you give Sandos a second chance to see how all your insights have helped us improve!

OKC
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I recently booked a stay at this resort. The resort has lots of options for food, entertainment and activities. It was extremely crowded when we were there, but we were always able to get lounge chairs in the select club area but the main family areas looked really crowded and restaurants could get really crowded and hot depending on the time you went. We travel to Mexico a lot and was disappointed with the food, while they had a lot of options and selections, it was mostly bland and the meat awful. We even had a touch of stomach upset which is pretty unusual for us, as we are accustomed to the food in Mexico. The highlight for us was the beach, we brought water shoes as suggested and our own snorkeling equipment and we loved it. It was shallow and calm clear water for quite a distance out. The nighttime activities were good, just get there early, seating is not well thought out, so you may not beable to see or take pictures if you are not there early. We also really liked the wildlife getting to see the spider monkeys, raccoons and Coati. We were saddened by the condition of some of the Coati, Cats, and the caged animals onsite, many of these looked unhealthy. :( We stayed in a deluxe select club room and it was okay, not as nice as a Marriott, but better than a motel 6. The bed was comfortable compared to many we have had in the area, the AC worked average, and we didn't have bugs in our room. However, the mini fridge did not cool and the balcony was tiny with one chair and faced other balconies, not an ideal location. Therefore, we did not utilize it. Our room was always cleaned good, but most days this wasn't done until late afternoon, so if you get up early and think of taking an afternoon nap, this is out of the question if you want your room refreshed. Most of the staff were all very nice and helpful. I also had issues with the bartender at the select club beach, he was rude and slow as was the service during the week. However, the Select club pool wait staff were wonderful. I liked that the resort had a lot of different options for a lot of people and activities for the kids. I really wish the pools stayed open until at least 11pm, 8 is just way too early. I know it sounds like I have complained a lot, but there are a lot of positives to the resort and we would consider going back with our kids for the right price, but I want others to also be prepared for the negatives.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OkcTraveler-75
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family came (all 12 of us) for a vacation of sun, beautiful beaches, relaxation, and, most importantly... no dishes or laundry. The grounds and facilities are lovely, the rooms serviceable, and the staff pleasant. But, by far, our biggest surprise and memories come from the daily yoga class taught by Juan Carlos Morales. I've been practicing yoga, fairly regularly, for over a year. But Juan Carlos, who had to blend a multilingual class from different yoga levels, was exceptional. He made the classes challenging but inspiring. He worked us, but was always available for good corrections to form and displayed amazing patience. By doing yoga with him five days in a row, I felt like I made huge strides and have been dedicated even more to my practice since the return. This was a vacation that rested and gave more than what we bargained for... a wonderful time. I'll return simply for the yoga but will stay for the ocean.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ArchieBorders
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Trip advisor community; it was a pleasure to read your review and we are sure this has helped many travelers confirm that Sandos Caracol is the perfect hotel for their vacation.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the Yoga programme that we lay on here. We also appreciate you taking the time to praise Carlos, our yoga teacher, that helped make your stay so memorable.

We are pleased that you loved it here; we will share your positive comments with our staff; it encourages them to continue working hard.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Monterrey
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Overall

We had a great stay, I do recommend this hotel.

Staff

The staff is great, They are always willing to help you, and with a smile, they go the extra mile to give you their best. They all seem to be working at their limit capacity, but I think waiters at the restaurants surpass their capacity, they look like they overwork, for one hand they would very much appreciate your tips, but also, in my opinion the hotel should place more people in this position. By this I don't mean any lack of service from them, not at all... I only want to point out they look like they are working at 150%. Of course this is with full occupancy.
The only people that weren't so friendly were the bell boys, they are the people that drive the golf carts all around the hotel grounds. If you happen to find them with an empty cart, they never ask you if you need a ride, although they often see you carrying lots of stuff, beach bags, etc. They seem to be only interested in the guests that are checking in, maybe because of the tips... Not so much on people walking back and forth the beach who don't usually carry any cash, I considered this as a lack of attention from them. Also, at night this small trucks used to be passing just beside the rooms making noise. I think they were transporting washed towels and linens to the buildings. One time one of these almost runs over my husband who was pushing my baby's stroller with baby inside, Very rude driving.

Grounds and fauna

The grounds are very pretty, you can find coatis and raccoons, cats, iguanas and turtles near the mangler areas. Be prepared to walk a lot! The cenote is beautiful!

They also have some enclosed animals, like guacamayas, donkeys, two xoloitzcuintles (Mayan dogs), etc.

The beach is so beautiful and very tranquil water, it's like being in a pool, very kid friendly. The rocks in the bottom everyone talks about I didn't find annoying at all. Sometimes I would go in with water shoes and sometimes would go in barefoot.

Kids

This resort is totally focused on families, if you are traveling as a family you will love it, lots of activities for all ages, all of the restaurants (even reservations at night) admit children.
The kids club is a total hit with the little ones; our three year old was really happy playing there in the A/C when the heat was just too much for him.

Food and drinks

If you like sweet and fruity alcoholic drinks, the best ones you can find are at the theater bar, not the main one, but the small wooden cart on the left side of the main bar.
Elsewhere the cocktails were delicious too, though I mainly sticked to the "ojo rojo" which is clamato with lemon, salsas and beer, delicious!
You can find great food in every place, the snack is open 24/7. The best restaurant for lunch was the Toscana buffet. In the afternoon I used to get a hot cappuccino made with coffee from Chiapas from the sports bar.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Marissa-san

Kindest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!