“The best resort I have been too”

Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
Ranked #84 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The best resort I have been too”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Took my granddaughter there to celebrity her 13 birthday they made it so wonderful the staff was great we had the times of our lives great food and AWSOME shows wii be back my granddaughter is still talking about it

Room Tip: Up grade to the royal elite section you will love it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Patricia F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,204)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Fort Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Ok so I need to try and say how great this resort is without writing a book :)
I'll start with the front desk, they were great and very helpful with anything I.needed. When we arrived they were great and told us a little about things we may want to do after we got settled in. Then we got a ride to our GORGEOUS room and the gentleman carried all of our luggage in for us.
The room was spectacular! We were in building 30 in room 3001 on the ground floor. We were by the water park which my 4 year old thought was the greatest! And right by the absolutely beautiful jungle.
It was not loud as the water park isn't right against your rooms.
The entire resort has the most beautiful jungle, trees, mangroves, gardens, buildings, cenote, beach, it goes on and on. I LOVED it!!!
The animals around the resort are so great and we learned alot about them. The resort does not promote the exploitation of animals which I love. The animals on the resort are rescues, wild, or part of a rehab program to save them from going extinct in the country.
The staff is EXCEPTIONAL! I'm terrible with names but the woman that does the eco and animal photo safari tours ( I think her name was Nyomi) was so great and so knowledgeable about everything in the area. We learned alot from her!
The entertainment was AMAZING! We got to see outstanding shows like a Michael Jackson show, a Disney Princess show, superhero show, Mexican band, and 3 wonderful mayan rituals. All of these performances/ rituals are done with amazing dancers/performers! I was brought to tears because of how much my daughter loved the princesses.
There is a great kids club for your little ones as well. I better not leave it out as my daughter idolized it lol.
There was a gentleman I had the privilege of talking to named Manuel ( I think) he was in charge of the bars I believe. He was great and told me all about the resort, the area, and was a real pleasure to talk to.
The restaurants and snack bars are great. There are several al carte restaurants and a few buffet restaurants, ALL of them were great. They had a little of everything. The bazillion al carte was cool as they.brought many different types of rotisserie things to your table, the Italian had good pizza, the steakhouse had delicious steak, and all the servers were great. Two of the waiters at the Mexican buffet were very funny and I really enjoyed their service. Abraham and Eliseo ( I think)
Our house keepers were amazing! The room was Always spotless which was mind boggling as we brought so much sand from the beach to our room in our shows and bathing suits lol. And I LOVED the fancy folded towels they would leave! And we had a great fruit basket in our room and sparkling wine when we checked in. Which we saved for our anniversary while we were there.
For our anniversary they.made us a surprise cake for us at the restaurant! It Was beautiful! I wish I remembered all the waiters and waitresses names :-(
They were all great!
The beach was so beautiful! There are rocks in the Water so you need to be careful, BUT if you put on a pair of Google and go snorkeling you'll see why the rocks are so great. The fish are so cool!
The pools are great but I was a beach bum for two weeks :-)
There are.lots of loungers so you didn't have much of a problem finding.one at all. And the staff are constantly working on keeping the beach clean. They worked very hard and it looked great! Just a note, wear water shoes! The life guard was busy helping people with their feet from stepping on sea erchins or stepping on rock coral. We wore our shoes and never had any problems.
We went on a tour of the royal elite section they have and each received a massage for our time. It's very beautiful if you like investing in that kind of stuff.
The big senote by the lobby was so awesome to snorkel in! Lots of fish.
The mayan ruins on the resort are over 2000 years old and the resort works carefully to preserve them and still let everyone enjoy them. They were great.
There really is so much great things about this resort I can't possibly write it all. I know later I will remember another thing I should have mentioned.
To sum it up this resort offers exceptional service, amazing jungle/gardens/grounds, great animal experiences, fenominal entertainment, they are ECO FRIENDLY (this is very important to us), great rooms, lots to do! ( they have sales vendors come and set up as well to buy asst things. Very beautiful nick necks, jewelry and art), LOVED the tours and learning the culture and about the animals, the jungle is one of my favorite parts of the resort! I am not a fan of just buildings and pools, I want nature! And they have it here! <3
So i am getting long.winded again.
We WILL be returning to this resort and I 100% recommend staying here if you like nature, great service and entertainment, they help you with any excursions you want and a resort that cares about the environment.
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RESORT!
And dont forget to tip sometimes. They all work so hard!! Loved you all <3
Thanks for an amazing vacation!!!

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Sext
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent resort for young kids, my boys are 15 and 11 the 11 year old had a very good time my 15 year didn't enjoy the water so much as to all the different animals and at night loved all the little shopping stands ,we will definitely come again but the next time we will try the resort playa car as is more for our boys age. The staff is unbelievably nice they will help out anytime ,the buffet well my oldest loves pizza and he did get his full share always.If you have small children I guarantee you will enjoy your stay!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janice E
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly let me state this is a very good hotel to stay at if you have kids. Mine (7 and 10) had a great time, met other kids their own age and enjoyed the freedom and entrainment the resort provided.
We booked directly and that is where we initially had problems as we chose the Royal Elite Superior room thinking we would get all of the club benefits including check in but that is not the case. The only benefit apart from room and location is the use of the adults section which is not a lot of use with kids. There is a kids club but due to staff shortages there was no outdoor activities which was one of the major reasons for selecting the hotel as the kids were looking forward the listed outdoor activities and adults were looking forward to a few hours off!!! The first room we were given was very dated with a balcony overlooked from above but after a discussion with a very helpful lady called Nora we were moved to a room that we believed to be the Superior room we paid for which was right next to the beach. For the management I would recommend that anyone paying for an Elite Superior room is at least given access to the VIP section.
My only other gripe is the poor check in we experienced where we were provided with very limited resort information, in fact we were only provided with the expected information when being coaxed to attend a timeshare meeting!!
Overall a good impression but with a few tweaks they could really make this a fantastic resort.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jonesy41
Sandos_Caracol, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write this positive feedback about your stay in Sandos Caracol

At Sandos Hotels we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to know that we have achieved our goal.

This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of service excellence, we are proud to know that Nora provide a high quality service, we will pass your kind comments to her.

We would be glad to welcome you again when visiting the Mexican Caribbean next time.
Best regards,

webrelations.caracol@sandos.com
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2014

beach not the best, rocky. but lots to do for the entire family. Food is decent, room was over looking the pool which was better and newer than the one we stayed in last year. Stayed at other hotels in the area but keep coming back here. It is one of the best for the price you pay. Great for families of all ages.

Room Tip: Ones by the pool over look the ocean and are newer!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thewinged2
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Trip advisor community; it was a pleasure to read your review and we are sure this has helped many travelers confirm that Sandos Caracol is the perfect hotel for their vacation.

We are pleased that you had a pleasant experience; we will share your positive comments with our staff; it encourages them to continue working hard.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.}

Best regards,

webrelations.caracol@sandos.com
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We just got back from Sandos where we stayed in the adults only section. It was a fantastic trip and a great way to enjoy an adults only atmosphere in a family resort. This was my third trip to the resort and first time in the adults only. Every time I have returned they have made improvements. Grounds are well kept with several trails and places to explore. Ala-cart restaurants were very good. Went to the Brazilian, Steak House and Seafood. No complaints. If you go to the Brazilian, go hungry. Adults only room was very nice. My only wish for the rooms is that the balconies were larger. They were a little tight. Sailed daily on the catamarans provided free of charge. The beach is very nice but once in the water it is pretty rocky and difficult to navigate. If you head south of the resort about 150 yards there is a very nice swimming area with sand all the way out. Not sure why more people weren't there. Main pool is very active, a lot of children. Went to the disco one night and had a great time. With the adults only section this resort has something for everyone. Would certainly return.

Room Tip: Upgraded to a slightly larger room in the adults only section. It was worth the added space.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Scott W
Dear guest,

Your comments regarding your recent stay in the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa are very much appreciated by the entire team of workers you recently met during your holidays.

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the trip advisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

All of our staff endeavour to deliver that personal touch to all guests in the hotel, and we are delighted that you experienced this customised service.

In the hope we will see you soon again in the Sandos resorts, we invite you to write us a mail before your visit to help you with any requests you may have.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Yup ! We're Brits and first time in Mexico. So we maybe have different ( not vast ammounts of food)

Cons first - 1 )Pools looking tired and way too hot ( like a bath ) went to the sea -
2) for me the coscktails were syrupy and taste the same , better of going for the shorts top shelf - gordons G+T / decent Vodka etc
3) Really Humid in July Aug - but you do get that Jungle feeling

Pro-s,

1) Beach was great - Breakfast and Food all good we preferred the Buffets nice choice ! and you can pick the best bits
2) Surroundings: - Beautiful foliage , Cenotes Trees etc well maintained
3) Animals: Brilliant, Coatis , snakes, Crabs the Mexican DOgs were great donkeys ...etc etc yes there are Monkeys ( we were really luck had 5 separate sightings and two close encounters ! Its like your oen piece of Jungle, loved being up early and exploring
4) Staff - the staff were the consistently the friendliest staff I have encountered in a hotel - always positive smiling even in Humid conditions
5) For us we liked the fact there were great mix of people but the most cmmon voices we heard were Spanish ! great I prefer this , makes me feel like I am away ( thats the point of a holiday right )
6) Plenty to do - I would recommend the ECO tours with Noami , who is a multi-talented gorgeous person , but laos really knowledgeable of the Jungle - Wild-Life in the area and Eco issues - the tours are just 40 mins but its great to know more about the place life and also yourself- definitely do so tours on the grounds, we did loads and every one mentioned they wish they had dome more , really relaxed and informative
7) Lots of Salsa and Dancing - which we like
8) lovely and genuine Animation Crew -

Some people said the Food was terrible - Okay look its not Haute-Cuisine but really its not that bad at all , its better than we thought after reading reviews -

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Phil M
Dear guest,

Thanks to the time you have invested in leaving your experience on the tripadvisor travel site, lots of other people who are thinking about the Riviera Maya will read how beautiful the Mexican attention to the guests is in our resort.

Kindest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#50 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!