“Honeymoon Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kidderminster, UK
“Honeymoon Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2009

I have just returned to England from Sandos Caracol and can honestly say that I would go back there in a heartbeat if I had the chance!
After reading some reviews of places I have already stayed I decided to completely ignore some of them and make up my own mind.
I'm glad I did and can honestly say that the person that said they were BS is completely right!
I've never travelled further than Greece so the flight length was the only thing I didnt enjoy but even that was made better by the Thomas Cook staff. We were lucky and ended up with extra leg room and we didnt even mention that we were on honeymoon. The transfer was very informative and it was nice to see the other hotels that other passengers were staying in, I did get the usually nerves when you see of these wonderful hotels and wonder what yours is going to look like but I was not disappointed.
We were greeted by very friendly staff and a much needed drink. Then we went into the Elephant Bar to be given our room keys and some important information about the resort. The first view from the bar was beautiful and I wont spoil it by describing it. I could not do it justice.
From here we were driven to our room with our baggage in a small golf caddy type vehicle by another very friendly man. Our room was lovely and overlooked the adults only pool. We were honeymooners so had a welcome letter and champagne, fruit, aromatherapy products and a towel swan. It was all very nice of them. We had been hoping for an upgrade but I guess these rooms were filled with the serial complainers that we heard so much of around the pool. What these people have to complain about I can't imagine!
Nevertheless we were more than happy with our room and don't think we would have made use of the extra facilities in the suites anyway!
The other parts of the resort were also great and the animals around us were amazing, it really is quite something to share your morning sunbathing with an iguana! The food was lovely and there is plenty of choice and variety. In fact I found myself enjoying the food a little too much! Everything looked wonderful and it was very hard to decide what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Whilst there we went on the Delphinus trip organised by our Thomas Cook rep, we were picked up from the hotel and taken the place and it was amazing. I've never done anything so wonderful in my life! The dolphins were kept in great conditions and were very happy. The experience was very expensive as we went for the most expensive package but it was worth it. The photos and DVD were very good but again very expensive so we did only come away with the DVD but it was great to watch when we came home and relive the experience.
The weather was wonderful the whole time we were there and I would recommend a lot of sun screen as the majority of my tan came from the shade so the sun is very, very strong indeed!
If you are about to go to Sandos Caracol I would only be excited and don't be nervous about other comments. I'm not really sure where these people stayed but I don't think I was in the same hotel! I had the most wonderful honeymoon and only wish I could do it all again!
To anyone that is going- Have a wonderful time and I'm very jealous! I only hope you have the same amazing time we did.

5 Thank bean1986

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,078)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

This property is a good deal for a good price. Had really no complaints.
It is a little dated, but very nice, clean, friendly, and has most everything you need.
Some rooms do not have balcony's, so if that is important to you,request it. Our 1st room didn't, so we changed rooms without a problem. In fact they upgraded us to a JR suite with a HUGE balcony with a jacuzzi. Also the rooms do not have a coffee maker so bring your own.
The food was good and had a nice selection of specialty restaurants.
Food and drink was available 24 hrs .
Had many bars so you didn't have to walk far.
The beach area was expansive, clean with lots of loungers.
The water had sand bottom and they have used the concrete bags to eliminate the waves to make calm waters. Good for snorkeling and shallow enough for children.
They provided transportation to Playa and their sister hotel several times a day.
Staff were very helpful and friendly.
Pools were large with 1 for adults only.
Location was nice. The beach was walkable on both sides as far as you wanted to go.
Would definitely recommend for a great price.

2 Thank howardmonty
Newcastle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Mosquito's and un air conditioned restaurants are maybe to be expected but what is not expected is to have sickness/diarrhea 5 days into your holiday. Yes the hotel is lovely and the staff are great, our room was fab(junior Suite) which is a good thing as we spent more time in it than out with the sickness that was going around. ( management agreed there was a problem but were doing their best to sort it) My husband suffered for 4 days and eventually the rep said to get the doctor to see him. 8 days of our holiday was ruined, luckily i was only sick for 2 days. We did not get to go on any trips or even visit local areas. We were looking forward to exploring Mexico. Have travelled to carribean 5 times and never experienced this kind of sickness. This hotel needs to listen to it's customers and do something quick, as it is a nice place.

1 Thank barbar1959
keighley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

First things first.. Arrival at airport was stressfull,arrival at hotel was quick (welcome drink) we got upgraded to select club soon as we checked in,no sandos card needed.
The first room we got was facing the driveway and car park,so we went to reception and without hassle was moved to anouther room (block 58) which was furthest away but very peaceful,large jacuzzi and queen size bed,mini bar was not stocked the first night. quite a walk to the beach (good exercise to work off the warm sugar ring doughnuts and chocolate milkshake i had for breakfast).
POOL... main pool was quite murky due to people eating and drinking in pool and god knows what else but you can use your imagination,was busy at weekends with locals.
Select club pool was clean and quiet,waiter service was non existent monday to friday but sat/sun a pleasant waitress did her rounds. one pool was closed and the adult only pool looked ok.
BEACH... water was lovley,sand clean and plenty of sun loungers oh i forgot a lot around the main pool. select club beach which is a small area with loungers,foam beds and fourposter, waiter service was non existant once in the morning they would bring you a bottle of water then dissapear theres free internet at the select club beach bar but only if you have the select club gold band. water could be sludgy but if you enter near the four poster longers (no sludge at all).
RESTRAUNTS... laguna the main buffett was ok same food all the way through 2 weeks,lots of choice,staff wear hairnets chefs gloves was some birds in restraunt but did not bother us also there is sanitiser liquid at the main entrance. when you leave take some bannas and feed the turtles and raccoons they love them.
medatarian restraunts was really good quality food.
gaucho steak house was nice too
Brazilian was good
italian not open (low occupancy) about 30%
templo oriental was good, if your select club you can eat al carte every evening.
the snack bar was ok good for drinks,food average.
all in all your well fed and watered, you must try strawberry and mango non achol cocktail,the chocolate milk and magnum ice cream.
Gardens was well kept and clean pool boy cleans pool twice a week room was cleaned every day to a good standard, i offered cleaners a drink from mini bar and tipped them they really appreciate it, i had some fresh flowers left in room extra tioletries and animals out of towels. mini bar was stocked every day,and they were chilled.
Animals... racoons are not agressive and took food out of your hands gently, there's donkeys,iguanas,lizards,peacocks,parrots,fish,turtles,coatis(similar to racoons) too much wildlife to mention,loads of jungle and plenty of lagoons.
They had a cinema,disco,liveshows and a weekly market and casino night.
all that ther is left to say is i would go again, and i will do. ps the spa was ok

4 Thank 2184emmas
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

We were really worried after reading all the reviews and wondered what on earth we would find when we got there. Our expectations were really low, how wrong we could have been. I had e-mailed both Thomas Cook and the Hotel directly expressing our concerns re the sickness and we were assured that everything was ok.

On arrival we were delighted to find that we had been upgraded, free of charge, to the Select Club. This in my view gave us the most perfect holiday. The rooms were superb, ours had a jaccuzi in it. We had the use of a seperate swimming pool and snack bar near the appartments. Down at the beach we had our own section which has four poster beds, large beanbag style sunbeds and then lots of really comfortable sunbeds. The select club was next to it and we had waiter service at the sun beds. There was free internet in the select club with a pool table, air conditioning and snacks were put on most days.

If you could not find anything to eat that you liked then quite honestly you must have a problem. Everything was really well maintained and there were always staff out cleaning and maintaining the gardens. All the staff were so friendly and helpful, they always looked happy even though we were told that they recieved very low wages.

On arrival in the room we found that we could not work the air-conditioning and that we had no towels. We did however have a bottle of champagne and a plate of fruit. We reported the problems we had and then went out. By the time we came back a few hours later a complete new switch had been put in and the towels had been replenished. What service.

The animals there were amazing, it was lovely to feed the raccoons, they were so gentle when they took food off of you.

The were really worried abou the mozzies, however as long as you put the repellant on we were fine, we did get some bites however not as many as we have had in europe. The Hotel staff were very attentive and we had numerous calls to our room asking if everything was ok.

Three out of the party of four did get the sicness. Two of us had to stay in our room for the day and night, however we put this down to some rice that we had eaten which you have to be really careful with anyway. The following day we were fine although we took it easy for a day or so. The other person had an upset stomach which did not seem to be the same as what we had had. It was not very pleasant however it was just for a day and if you were going to be ill then the rooms were perfect to be in. The gels were everywhere and contary to what someone else said the staff openly encouraged the use of them.

We did not experiance any problems getting through the airport, checking in or anything. It was truly the most perfect holiday we have had and we are seasoned travellers.

My recommendation wouild be to use plenty of suntan lotion and lip protection. After such a good holiday I have gone through about 6 layers of skin and three pairs of lips!! I suppose we had to do something for ourselves during our holiday and maybe we should have tried harder with the suntan lotion

Our thanks to all the staff at the Hotel, Victor (cheers mate!!), Karina and Rapheal at the selct club inparticular.

Our only problem is were do we go next year, Mexico has really spoilt us!h

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank android53
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

Just arrived home this morning and first thing I had to do was write this review.
This was the most amazing holiday of my life, I can seriously say I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

The staff are first class, always smiling and cant do enough for you.
Food excellent, so much variety, something for everyone,, pools were clean and well maintained, swam with a crab oneday a snake another, the animals are really amazing you can feed the Racoon's on an evening, made some good friends and we are all going back next year.

A special thanks to Tania and all the staf who made our stay very special.

2 Thank gerry60
roadkill6966
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

If you are reading this review, i'm sure you've been through all of the other ones too. If you have booked here, do not sweat. Our stay was fabulous.

Everything was clean and tidy; service was almost always on point (except one time); meals were delicious; and staff always smiled.

Tips before you go:
-bring pleanty of sun screen (and aloe in case you burn!)
-bring bug repellant (we got bit up)
-Bring pesos. They will take foreign currancy, but their math is questionable at times.
-Know some basic spanish. Most of the staff is trilingual (spanish, english, and french), however, you will encounter a lot of staff that did not speak a word outside of spanish.
-do NOT buy the tequila from the resort. Its over priced (I found out too late). Buy from the duty free store in the airport.

Every time you turn around, you will be asked if you want to go here, or do that. It seems in Mexico, they're big in to the high pressure sales technique, so be aware.

4 Thank roadkill6966
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,271 reviews

Been to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort? Share your experiences!