Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
US$265
US$229
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$310
US$605
US$589
US$320
US$301
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$276
US$268
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$344
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$564
US$415
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$211
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$940
Bookit.com
14,034 results
All reviewsselect clubaqua parkinternational buffetlos liriosmayan showskids clubel temploromantic boat ridemain pooljade riverla toscanaroyal elite sectionwater shoesselect areabrazilian restaurantkids water parkadults only section
Reviewed 7 December 2009

WE ARE THINKING of come back this year and bringing are granson with use
it was are honeymoon last year and we had a great time CANT FAULT IT

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We just returned yesterday (Dec 4) after 1 week at this resort. We were blown away by the food, the cleanliness and the service. The staff were very friendly. Our 2 year old had a blast! The pools were clean and warm. The beach was constantly being swept of debris. Staff constantly cleaning and maintaining the resort. We did not have to complain about nothing. We loved the wild life. Seeing 8 raccoons at 1 time eating off the hands off guests was amazing. There were animals roaming around I did not even know what they were called. The only issue we had was eating at the main dining hall was a little warm. But what do you expect, we were in the tropics.
I would strongly reccomend this resort to all. We will be going back.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ellioTTe23
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We visited 11/16 to 11/23. I think the resort was very nice but like anything else, it had good points and bad points. Bad points we experienced: Our room was nice but the a/c blew directly on one of the double beds - good thing was we were in building 7, right near the beach but probably one of the first buildings built. Overall the room was clean. We had a big crack in the sink from something dropped into it and you had to hold the toilet handle down until it was done flushing. From my experience, all the toilets were like that. The first few nights we turned off the a/c and opened the windows, we had a nice cool ocean breeze as the humidity was low and evenings were comfortable if not a bit cool. Our room was on a main walking path with one of our windows facing it and the waterway (which would smell musty sometimes but not always). When the Mexican Buffett opened on Friday night, they were carting dishes back to the other restaurant (at least I think that's what they were doing) but there were rolling carts on the stamped concrete walkway going until 12:30 a.m. We just couldn't sleep. Also one night the band played in the Piano Bar until the same time and again we were unable to sleep. We had to get up early the next morning for the Chichen Itza tour. That's another thing, if you do that... be prepared for a 13 hour HOT day with most of it riding on a bus (including full toilets by the end of the day, YUCK) and no Cenote swim if you go to Chichen Itza through Apple Vacations. I would go to the Tulum ruins instead but that is a long day also from what I was told by friends, but so much more worth it. Be prepared for topless Europeans on the left side of the beach facing the ocean. Also the smokers for some reason find the need to dump their cig butts on the beach. I agree with other reviews that the resort should have smoking and non-smoking sections. The smoke does get annoying sometimes and it wasn't even busy when we were there.

Yes, the resort uses cheap Mexican liquor but there is premium liquor, you have to request it. I discovered this 3 days into our 7 night vacation... I spotted premium liquor at the Snack and Piano Bars. They may not have everything, but they do have some - you just have to specifically ask for it. The food isn't great but it isn't bad either. You won't find anything fancy like lobster or even shrimp at the buffets. Try the various fruit juices and yogurts, they're really good. Watch out for people's unattended kids sticking their fingers in the ice cream for a taste and playing with the toaster - touching all all the bread. Yuck! We did eat at the Brazilian, Mediterranean and Oriental Restaurants. The food was good at all but the Oriental was especially good. The beef, chicken and eggs taste different than here is the U.S., kind of tasteless. Go for the grilled fish if you like fish and the omelettes at the grill at LaLaguna buffet, they seemed to be the best. Bring an insulated mug to keep cold drinks cold and I would put my morning coffee at the restaurant in the mug because it gets cold quick with the fans blowing
Oh, a word about booking the ala carte restaurants - get up early and get your reservations, people are standing in line waiting to book at 6:45 a.m. and pay attention to the sheet they give you at check in telling you which restaurants are open during your stay and on what day they are open. That will make it easier for booking... we forgot about that sheet and were very confused when trying to book.

After dinner we spent time at the Snack Bar since we could be served drinks there, eat that awesome guacamole, listen to the nightly band and still be able to talk with friends. The Piano Bar area was just too loud to converse but fun for dancing. At the Snack Bar the friendly racoons and cats would come out at night to visit and sometimes during the day. The racoons are adorable, more like cats and the little ones are very playful - NOT like our racoons here which I fear. The animals like to mooch but take food very gently. I thought they were cute but I'm an animal lover, I can see how others may not like it.

The staff is very friendly and always trying to please. The entertainment staff works very hard to make entertainment fun and get people involved. They're resort staff, not broadway professionals so keep that in mind. I appreciate their hard work and efforts so I was pleased. I'm just not a night person anymore so for me the shows were too late but I did enjoy them when I wasn't just about falling asleep from long days on the beach!

The beach was nice and yes there are rocks and the large "whale" sandbags to prevent beach erosion. I wore water shoes after one tourist we met stepped on something spiney the first day of her trip. One day it was extremely windy so you can see the reason for the whales. They're easy enough to crawl or better yet scoot over on your butt. Beyond them is fun in the waves and where you can snorkel or dive down with goggles on to see the pretty small fish hiding underneath them.

Andres on the beach has talented and magic hands for a relaxing massage. That was wonderful. Ask about specials for massages. I generally enjoyed my stay but probably would try another hotel next time. Talk to people on the bus rides to compare resorts and food quality. Oh, we did swim with the dolphins and that was fun and worth the money too. Hope this helps...

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank Lauren5050
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Customer service was severly lacking. We had a junior suite, their best room. It was not clean. The balcony had a wooden facade that was broken. The room had a king size bed and a pull out couch. The couch would not fully open because it hit the sliding glass door. The staff offered to move it at an angle so it could be used. The room would have felt like a dorm room, not a vacation. The staff was very good about lip service, saying they wanted us to be happy. When it came to doing something, there was a let down. It was my understanding that Mr. JOSE CORDOVA is second in charge of the front desk. He was curt, stating, " you ordered a junior suite and that is what you got. It is set up more for a couple than a family." He then proceeded to do nothing. My family and I left the resort after one day. We were moved to the Barcelo; which was wonderful. Please, do not stay at Sandos Caracol. There are much better choices for about the same money.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2009

What can I say..... our vacation at this resort was nothing less than wonderful. The people who work at the Sandos Caracol are so helpful and so very friendly. I contacted web relations before going on our trip and was emailed back by Darren Spencer, who was an extremely great person to deal with. We have been on many vacations but this was the best. All the staff in the restaurants and buffets are so cheerful and helpful, and work very hard to make sure everything is just right and you nevr have to wait to long for anything. There were four in our party, my husband and I, my father inlaw and his wife. We had no complaints, and anyone who has complaints in these reviews is "CRAZY". I give the Sandos a 10/10 in every aspect. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple