“Amazing Beach - Not so Impressed with the rest”
Review of Hotel Riu Playacar

Hotel Riu Playacar
Ranked #52 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Calgary, Canada
“Amazing Beach - Not so Impressed with the rest”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Riu Playacar has an amazing beach, Okay Pool, The Hotel is okay - Definitely outdated compared to the Riu Yucatan in the same area. Buffet food was average, Great Entertainment Staff, Terrible Resturants - Was just deep fried - same old buffet food for the most part - we didn't even use all our resturant visits & just ate buffet the were so bad!
The thing I was really Not impressed with was the amout of people trying to sell you drugs!! Not only on the Beach, but in front of the Disco on the resort!!!! Made me feel very uncomfortable.. not sure if Riu promotes this activity, but it definitely turned me off to never book with them again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amber R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Visited Riu Playacar in November, 2013. This time, I was looking for good quality all-inclusive resort to rest and spend time with my friends not too far from Playa del Carmen.
As a scuba diver, I was interested primarily in close proximity to the diveshop ( Scubacaribe, right in the hotel ) and cenotes.

Pro:
- 5 star service. Staff is polite, helpful and is doing best to make your stay as much fun as it can be.
- Good food
- Very clean
- Beautiful and clean beach
- Close to Playa-del-Carmen. For $7 taxi brings you to this nice little town with many local tourist attractions, bars, shops and everything else.
- Can visit and use amenities from several other Riu hotels nearby
- Not overly expensive for what you get

Con:
- Dated rooms .Not a big concern, really. Everything in good shape and working.
- Terrible coffee. If that bothers you, you can still go to Starbucks right across from hotel's gate.

Room Tip: Since buildings are low-rise, no point to select ocean-view room. I would select room closer to the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michael_Diver
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I had a great experiance at this hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel and its grounds are quite small which I really liked. The entertainment staff were great and I and girlfriend had a really fun night out with them and had a fun Spainish lesson off Charlie.

I travelled with Thomsons and their rep Jasmine was very helpful and infomative. We also flew out on the dream liner and it really is superior to other aircraft I have been on with Thomson.

Having had all inclusive in Egypt on previous holidays and thinking it was good, having all inclusive in Mexico blows it out the water. I loved all the coctails and the bar men kept them coming all day.

Being right on the beach was great. Being a keen windsurfer there kitis only begginer and very beat up but it was free. I went in November and getting places round the pool and on the beach was no problem at all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jack H
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

For my 60th birthday, my daughter, 3 sisters, 2 nieces and I went to the Riu Playacar. We all had a wonderful time. Had birthday dinner at the Asian restaurant and it was fabulous. They brought out birthday cake and sang. I loved all the restaurants that we ate at. All the activities by the pool were such fun. We were "persuaded" to join in the dancing, which I was totally horrible at but it was fun. We are going again in 2014. Can hardly wait. The rooms did have a musty smell but not too bad. It is one of the smallest of the Riu's and that is why we picked this one. We walked up the beach to Playa del Carmen one day to shop. A little far for older people.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ktalex52
London
Reviewed 16 November 2013

There are several RUI hotels in Playacar and I think RIU Playacar is the most authentically Mexican. Comparatively there are a high percentage of Latinos staying at this resort and you tend to hear more Spanish spoken than English (although all staff can speak English I was pleased I could practise my Spanglish!).

The rooms all have a mini bar in the bathroom, which is fun, although we did find that the booze was required in binge proportions in order to have an effect! The rooms were a decent size, the beds were comfortable, with a large wardrobe that came with iron and board. There was also shower gel in the shower. I've noticed that some people complained about there not being a private bathroom but I disagree. You can pull a curtain across the arch for privacy and open it up to give the room more space, we hardly ever pulled our curtain, as the shower had a curtain and was big enough to dry off in before leaving the bathroom area. The loo obviously had a door! The set up worked fine for me and my friend, staying in a twin room.The rooms are clean and tidy, they have a fridge and sufficiently stocked drinks (both alcoholic and non).

The food was lovely, there is always something new on the menu and I never had the same meal twice and we were there for 2 weeks. We didn't have the most of the cocktail bar in the Turquesa in hindsight, but we weren't ever short of a drink or munch so can't complain (I just wished I'd discovered the Espresso Martini sooner!). There is always a staple of Mexican food along with Pasta and Junk food for the Western Eater. They had so much variety, it is difficult to fault anything with the food. We tended to eat around 7.30 and on occasion that we eat around 6ish, the food looked really amazing all laid out. They have 3 bookable restaurants, a Steak House (fine), a Mexican (great) and an Asian, this is laid out as a all you can eat buffet and the food was just ok.

The facilities run by the hotel were fine, the pool bar entertainment was always well attended. The yoga in the morning wasn't bad either. We did laugh at the fluctuations of the attendance on the volley court and the competition levels! I booked a course of scuba diving trips with ScubaCaribe and they Scubamasters were always excellent, friendly and informative. However the ScubaCaribe shop in the resort where things are booked for left a lot to be desired. They were always the last activity shop around our area to open in the morning and the first one to close in the evening. They were the first to pull the equipment (kayaks, boogieboards etc) when the weather turned and the last one to open when the weather improved. Compared with the two hotels on either side, who were always active helping people out with their equipment, our ScubaCaribe staff were extremely invisible! My friend also tried to book scuba trips several times and was bumped off when larger groups needed a trip, not great service. I'd highly recommend the hotel continue to use the service of the diver company, but loose the staff on site, they would be better employing their own if they want to keep up with their neighbours!

We missed out on a lot of entertainment but would say that when they have external entertainers we were pleasantly surprised. The Animation team worked hard and were always enthusiastic.

We did visit the Tequila (way too far from the beach and many more rooms that our place), Yukatan, decent food (bit more european) and a couple of nice bars for sunset and attempted to go to the Palace, but we were too lowly to gain entrance!

If I were to go back to Playacar I would definitely revisit RUI playa car for it's Mexican feel. I'm sad at the rumors that they are rebranding it, to give it the modern and generic style of the other RIUs.

Room Tip: The 2 blocks nearer the Turquesa restaurant can really hear the "entertainment" so perhaps...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank mand282
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have seen the other reviews and they are just about right, some of the negs are unfair, so this is a short review with some tips.
On the flight fill in all the forms, the bit they give back to you is your exit visa, don't lose it. The luggage trolleys are not allowed out of the airport so you will have take your bags to the bus, not far. At the hotel your luggage will be taken to your room by the porter, all reception staff speak excellent English
The hotel is very relaxed and the envy of other hotels, their guests will tell you, it's true. Reception are all very helpful, we spoke to Nico more than any other, a fine young man who will try to complete any request, even the impossible.
The rep, Jasmine was never late, has mountains of information, very considerate to our needs, another excellent.
Mosquitos a few, we took Jungle products and Raid, and brought most of it back, stay away from the green bushes and you will be ok
We had our Golden at the hotel, Jasmine, the reception, and the restaurant staff gave us night to remember, ending with applause and cheers from the other guests, it was more like Wembley than Playacar.
Will we return? at first we said no, now a few weeks down the line it's maybe.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate, go
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Les H
wirral england
Reviewed 8 November 2013

not long been back from our 14 days in playacar.this was our first time in mexico and all inclusive .when you arrive at the airport be carefull of the people who take your bags to the coach as they work for tips thats were it starts.on arrival to the hotel we were greated warmly and taken to our rooms .the rooms were very nice every think you needed a little bit tired but nothink we could realy fault.the optics in the room had 4 drinks in them it didnt matter what mixer you put with them they were still horrible so didnt drink them.the food was very good we found plenty of choice at meal times.my only complaint was that there was plenty to drink but you could drink till the cows come home with no affect at all.the complex was very nice perhaps a litte small compared to other hotels but cant complain,the beach was a picture clean sand and crystal clear water walk along the beach to the jungle area about 40yds out there is a man made reef with all sorts of fish and octopus take an under water camera with your snorkel i wish i didxel-ha was the best trip we went on you werent presured for tips and pictures snorkel by the restraunts for the best fish all inclusive was very nice.captain hook was the next trip take plenty of money for tips and the picture which begins to wind you up by the end of the night the experience was good although a bit panto drinks were week .the last trip was snorkling of a catermaran which was ok didnt see much more than on the man made reef on the beach again more tips and loads of pictures take plenty of money as they dont seem to have any in mexico considering the trips arnt cheap. if you dont want to be harrast then dont go any were there are shops or excursions because an hour into it it does your head in .all in all we enjoyed our holliday we couldnt really fault the hotel just when you went outside the complex which begs the question is it worth spending all that money to sit around the pool for 14 days when you could do that in spain for half the price

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#29 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Playacar? Share your experiences!