“Great personal attention by all staff”
Review of Hotel Riu Playacar

Hotel Riu Playacar
Ranked #51 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Great personal attention by all staff”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Second time at Hotel last time three years ago. Feels like a family hotel, great food, all you could ask for.
Will be back sooner next time.
We have never been to such a friendly Hotel. Entertainment every night and thirty mins walk from Playa Del Carmen along the beach.
Reception staff are Ace and every staff member down to the garden ears always greet you

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Frank H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Riu Playacar has an amazing beach, Okay Pool, The Hotel is okay - Definitely outdated compared to the Riu Yucatan in the same area. Buffet food was average, Great Entertainment Staff, Terrible Resturants - Was just deep fried - same old buffet food for the most part - we didn't even use all our resturant visits & just ate buffet the were so bad!
The thing I was really Not impressed with was the amout of people trying to sell you drugs!! Not only on the Beach, but in front of the Disco on the resort!!!! Made me feel very uncomfortable.. not sure if Riu promotes this activity, but it definitely turned me off to never book with them again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Amber R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Visited Riu Playacar in November, 2013. This time, I was looking for good quality all-inclusive resort to rest and spend time with my friends not too far from Playa del Carmen.
As a scuba diver, I was interested primarily in close proximity to the diveshop ( Scubacaribe, right in the hotel ) and cenotes.

Pro:
- 5 star service. Staff is polite, helpful and is doing best to make your stay as much fun as it can be.
- Good food
- Very clean
- Beautiful and clean beach
- Close to Playa-del-Carmen. For $7 taxi brings you to this nice little town with many local tourist attractions, bars, shops and everything else.
- Can visit and use amenities from several other Riu hotels nearby
- Not overly expensive for what you get

Con:
- Dated rooms .Not a big concern, really. Everything in good shape and working.
- Terrible coffee. If that bothers you, you can still go to Starbucks right across from hotel's gate.

Room Tip: Since buildings are low-rise, no point to select ocean-view room. I would select room closer to the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michael_Diver
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I had a great experiance at this hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel and its grounds are quite small which I really liked. The entertainment staff were great and I and girlfriend had a really fun night out with them and had a fun Spainish lesson off Charlie.

I travelled with Thomsons and their rep Jasmine was very helpful and infomative. We also flew out on the dream liner and it really is superior to other aircraft I have been on with Thomson.

Having had all inclusive in Egypt on previous holidays and thinking it was good, having all inclusive in Mexico blows it out the water. I loved all the coctails and the bar men kept them coming all day.

Being right on the beach was great. Being a keen windsurfer there kitis only begginer and very beat up but it was free. I went in November and getting places round the pool and on the beach was no problem at all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jack H
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

For my 60th birthday, my daughter, 3 sisters, 2 nieces and I went to the Riu Playacar. We all had a wonderful time. Had birthday dinner at the Asian restaurant and it was fabulous. They brought out birthday cake and sang. I loved all the restaurants that we ate at. All the activities by the pool were such fun. We were "persuaded" to join in the dancing, which I was totally horrible at but it was fun. We are going again in 2014. Can hardly wait. The rooms did have a musty smell but not too bad. It is one of the smallest of the Riu's and that is why we picked this one. We walked up the beach to Playa del Carmen one day to shop. A little far for older people.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ktalex52
London
Reviewed 16 November 2013

There are several RUI hotels in Playacar and I think RIU Playacar is the most authentically Mexican. Comparatively there are a high percentage of Latinos staying at this resort and you tend to hear more Spanish spoken than English (although all staff can speak English I was pleased I could practise my Spanglish!).

The rooms all have a mini bar in the bathroom, which is fun, although we did find that the booze was required in binge proportions in order to have an effect! The rooms were a decent size, the beds were comfortable, with a large wardrobe that came with iron and board. There was also shower gel in the shower. I've noticed that some people complained about there not being a private bathroom but I disagree. You can pull a curtain across the arch for privacy and open it up to give the room more space, we hardly ever pulled our curtain, as the shower had a curtain and was big enough to dry off in before leaving the bathroom area. The loo obviously had a door! The set up worked fine for me and my friend, staying in a twin room.The rooms are clean and tidy, they have a fridge and sufficiently stocked drinks (both alcoholic and non).

The food was lovely, there is always something new on the menu and I never had the same meal twice and we were there for 2 weeks. We didn't have the most of the cocktail bar in the Turquesa in hindsight, but we weren't ever short of a drink or munch so can't complain (I just wished I'd discovered the Espresso Martini sooner!). There is always a staple of Mexican food along with Pasta and Junk food for the Western Eater. They had so much variety, it is difficult to fault anything with the food. We tended to eat around 7.30 and on occasion that we eat around 6ish, the food looked really amazing all laid out. They have 3 bookable restaurants, a Steak House (fine), a Mexican (great) and an Asian, this is laid out as a all you can eat buffet and the food was just ok.

The facilities run by the hotel were fine, the pool bar entertainment was always well attended. The yoga in the morning wasn't bad either. We did laugh at the fluctuations of the attendance on the volley court and the competition levels! I booked a course of scuba diving trips with ScubaCaribe and they Scubamasters were always excellent, friendly and informative. However the ScubaCaribe shop in the resort where things are booked for left a lot to be desired. They were always the last activity shop around our area to open in the morning and the first one to close in the evening. They were the first to pull the equipment (kayaks, boogieboards etc) when the weather turned and the last one to open when the weather improved. Compared with the two hotels on either side, who were always active helping people out with their equipment, our ScubaCaribe staff were extremely invisible! My friend also tried to book scuba trips several times and was bumped off when larger groups needed a trip, not great service. I'd highly recommend the hotel continue to use the service of the diver company, but loose the staff on site, they would be better employing their own if they want to keep up with their neighbours!

We missed out on a lot of entertainment but would say that when they have external entertainers we were pleasantly surprised. The Animation team worked hard and were always enthusiastic.

We did visit the Tequila (way too far from the beach and many more rooms that our place), Yukatan, decent food (bit more european) and a couple of nice bars for sunset and attempted to go to the Palace, but we were too lowly to gain entrance!

If I were to go back to Playacar I would definitely revisit RUI playa car for it's Mexican feel. I'm sad at the rumors that they are rebranding it, to give it the modern and generic style of the other RIUs.

Room Tip: The 2 blocks nearer the Turquesa restaurant can really hear the "entertainment" so perhaps...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank mand282
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have seen the other reviews and they are just about right, some of the negs are unfair, so this is a short review with some tips.
On the flight fill in all the forms, the bit they give back to you is your exit visa, don't lose it. The luggage trolleys are not allowed out of the airport so you will have take your bags to the bus, not far. At the hotel your luggage will be taken to your room by the porter, all reception staff speak excellent English
The hotel is very relaxed and the envy of other hotels, their guests will tell you, it's true. Reception are all very helpful, we spoke to Nico more than any other, a fine young man who will try to complete any request, even the impossible.
The rep, Jasmine was never late, has mountains of information, very considerate to our needs, another excellent.
Mosquitos a few, we took Jungle products and Raid, and brought most of it back, stay away from the green bushes and you will be ok
We had our Golden at the hotel, Jasmine, the reception, and the restaurant staff gave us night to remember, ending with applause and cheers from the other guests, it was more like Wembley than Playacar.
Will we return? at first we said no, now a few weeks down the line it's maybe.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate, go
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple