This hotel is due for renos in 2015, and they're just letting it slip into decay in the mean time.
Management is HORRID. We launched many complaints and only one was addressed despited promises to "look into it". This is some (not all) of the problems we had:
1) Ant infestation on the bathroom counters (microscopic little buggers - almost brushed my teeth with them - YUCK) - They sprayed raid to get rid of them for us. This is the only concern they addressed.
2) Internet - Allowance is 90 minutes. The connection is terrible if it even works at all. It timed out after 45 minutes, sometimes earlier, and reception just looked at us and said "well you clearly misjudged your time remaining". If you stay here, be ready to pay $5 for a drink to use Starbuck's wifi across the street.
3) Toilet - The toilet in the room wouldn't flush.
4) Bathtub - The bathtub in the room was clogged and drained very slowly. Be ready to stand in your own filth while you shower.
5) Sheets stained - all of them had large 3" stains on them. God knows what they were. My sister threw hers on the floor in the corner to have it replaced, and the maid remade the bed with it.
6) Umbrella - It rains a lot in Playa Del Carmen. It's beautiful, and a nice way to cool down, but really puts a damper on your holiday because there are no umbrellas available. They are supposed to provide one in every room, but they're all broken, and have no replacements available. We asked every day for 4 days and just received attitude in return so we gave up.
7) No warnings in orientation or signage anywhere about the mosquitos on the beach. These lovely little bugs provide you with large welt-sized rashes. Bring OFF mosquito repellant, they're everywhere after dark.
8) Main receptionist was very rude, spoke very little english, and did nothing to resolve the problems.
9) Pool water uncomfortably cold. I would be shocked if they have a pool heater. It was rare to see people "enjoying" the pool unless they were at the swim-up bar. Everybody else got in and ran right back out.
10) You're unable to keep your bracelet. The Riu Palace lets you keep yours.
11) No elevator and 3 levels per building. If you're unable to do stairs, go elsewhere, as their management is too terrible to guarantee you a floor-level room.
The food is the only thing this place has going for it. Some of the waiters hang around like lost dogs until you hand them a tip, so while the service is good, it's annoying and extremely uncomfortable. Pay a little extra and go anywhere else. This place is definitely not 5 stars. Everybody we talked to was extremely disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 8 annexed buildings * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 21,000 m2/25,000 sq. Yards of tropical gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Prestigia, Evoline ltd, Travel Republic (UK) and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Hotel Riu Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen