Loved the resort, good selection of food, it is similar everynight but if you don't try everything at each sitting you can easily have something different to eat each night. The resort is not brand new but it is very well maintained, we witnessed many areas being painted early morning, so even though it is reported that it will be torn down in Spring 2015 they are still keeping it looking beautiful. We loved that the resort was small and quiet at night and we enjoyed the Mexican decor; the Yucatan was redecorated a few years ago and has a more mordern, South Beach feel, if this is your taste then you will love it!
The staff were very friendly and helpful always, we had a few minor issues in our room, no different than what can happen at home and they were addressed immediately.
We had read a recommendation not to book excursions at the hotel as it is cheaper across the street; we found this to be true; however we have a few pointers that unfortunately we had to live and learn but wanted to share
1. going to Xcaret or Xplore (10 minutes from resort)..you can save up to $70 for a family of four by taking a taxi, not to mention you can decide what time you leave the resort and when you return..the cab ride is $15 each way but do confirm with the taxi driver before hoping in. Finding a cab for the return trip will not be a problem as there are many there waiting...the cost to enter the Park is $99, adult; children between 5 and 11 $49.50.
2. DO NOT BOOK A CAR RENTAL prior to seeing/inspecting the vehicle...our biggest mistake, we booked a snorkling tour and a rental car in Cozumel through MKT Tours in the Plaza across the street; the deal was $60 for the snorkling and $35 for the car for a few hours in the afternoon..the snorkling tour was fantastic...but words cannot explain the car they had waiting for us..it was a VW rabbit, with the back roof sawed off, the MTK tour guide, Jonathan,had said we were getting a VW convertiable, we expected a Bug convertiable. We had paid Jonathan a deposit but had to pay the remainder prior to going on our snorkle tour, so we were already out the money, we thought how bad can it really be...well let's start with if you let your foot off the gas it stalled (manual transmission); the driver's seat moved back and forth while driving, hard to break or change gears from the back seat...and the car was completely stripped inside..they are better cars at any junk yard. We drove around the block and brought it back, we were told we would have to get our money back from Jonathan. Well that was a song and a dance and we ended up out of pocket. Our recommendation would be take the ferry to Cozumel it is a great trip in itself, the ferries are clean, airconditioned and have TVs it about a 30 min ride. When you get off the ferry all the excusion booths are lined up , no middle man and you know exactly what you are getting...wish we would have known this.
We didn't not let this bad experience ruin our trip we chalked it up to a life lesson, we will know better next time...we stayed 10 days and would highly recommend the resort if you are looking for small and relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * In the Playacar resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Yucatan and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 8 annexed buildings * Located on the beach * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Surrounded by 21,000 m2/25,000 sq. Yards of tropical gardens * Mexican Street, next to Riu Yucatan * 100 m/325 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Gems and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Playacar Reviews
- Playacar Hotels
- Riu Playacar Mexico
- Rui Playacar
- Hotel Riu Playacar Mexico/Riviera Maya - Playa Del Carmen