Hotel Riu Playacar
US$229
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$331
US$297
US$605
US$589
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
US$320
US$285
US$227
Melia.com
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$413
US$344
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$564
US$415
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
US$211
HotelsClick
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$806
US$702
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
US$1,434
US$940
Bookit.com
5,497 results
All reviewspool barmusty smellpalm treesasian restaurantentertainment staffmattress padevery other daygreat holidaymain restaurantsmaller resortplenty of sunbedsspecialty restaurantsgated communityother resortsevening entertainmentcab ridebuffet style
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at this resort now 6 Times and absolutely love this please. Stayed at many hotels in Mexico inc some of the Karisma properties and if am been honest this wins hands down.

The rooms are in need of some TLC but that's it and the amount of time you spend in the rooms is hardly any.

We are heading back again this November/December and cant wait to see everyone again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Michael_Firstchoice
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We returned yesterday from our first holiday in Mexico staying at the Riu Playacar. I'm always wary of food in all inclusives but there was such a good selection and excellent quality we were never bored with the food. We don't normally get involved with the entertainment but the team were so good we even got ready earlier so we could go to the rifle shooting and aqua gym. Well worth a visit and there are 2 other hotels to use if you do get bored!

Stayed: July 2014
7  Thank Watson1410
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at the Riu Tequila 8th - 23rd July with my wife and 15 year old son. I did a full review of that hotel but as part of the package we were allowed to use the Riu Playacar so it thought it would be helpful to comment on my experiences. It is important therefore to note that in reviewing I am not able to comment on certain aspects such as the rooms.

Overall I rated this place, it seems a shame Riu plan to level it next year and build a palace in it's place. Doing so will leave only one non palace (Riu Yucatan) with beach access in this area. That in turn is likely to increase the pressure on the Riu Yucatan Beach since you cannot use the palaces when booking a standard Riu.

The hotel at present retains the traditional Mexican charm. It's quite small and laid back with a good pool and beach area. The service was good, special mention to Santos in the pool bar who made the best Chocolate milkshakes out of all three Riu's for my son! Hershey syrup and the lot! Found the bar staff the most friendly here by the way. They did pool games and also brought drinks around the pool and beach to save you going to the bar. I went shooting with my son and whilst we were waiting I got really hot, just when I was beginning to wonder about where I could get a drink someone appeared with cold beers and drinks for the kids. They'd thought about us and guessed we'd need a drink. Only a small thing but an example for good service.

Weren't many brits here, lots of Americans and other nationalities. Rating this low on the 'chav-ometer' too i.e. reasonable clientele, no yobs.

The food was good, we eat breakfast one day and also launch a couple of times including the Paella served by the pool. Lobster Bisque and the Taco Bar was my favourite for lunch. Food always fresh and hot (or cold if it was meant to be cold!).

I thought the lobby bar was a bit limited and quite small.

Would I stay here? Yes since it is pretty much the cheapest hotel with direct beach access in Playacar. It's also in a great location right opposite the Playacar shops and Starbucks with free wi-fi. Only 70 peso into Playa Del Carmen too or 30 minute walk. As I say snap it up before it goes for good!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SteveFussy
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My family and I have stayed at different resorts in Playacar and loved all of them. I gave this hotel 5 stars for the service and food. Of course the beach and water are beautiful. The rooms are fair and there are rumors that they are renovating next summer. We shall see. From the moment we arrived everyone was helpful at the front desk. We had a problem with our AC and they remedied the situation immediately. You never waited for cup of coffee in the morning or a drink in the afternoon. I am also very picky at buffets and found myself making 2 or 3 trips back up every time. Beware, like all resorts in Mexico the food is loaded with salt. You get a little bloated. The steakhouse always had reservations available and the food was excellent. The Kids club was excellent. Some days there were no other kids so it was like having a babysitter for the day free. Our kids had a blast. Please tip the kids club people as well as the bartenders and servers. I really cant say enough about the staff. I apologize that names have escaped me becuase it was back in June but really, Thanks to all at the RIU Playacar!!!!!

Room Tip: First floor rooms. No elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank FairfieldDan
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We love Mexico anyway, but you can always plump for a rubbish hotel which can ruin a holiday. We did have a couple of reservations about this hotel as we did hear, (after booking) that this place will be closed next year for a rebuild and the reviews weren't 100% complimentary either!
On arrival and first impressions were good, Yes ok it wasn't the newest of places but it was much better than we expected considering what we had heard about the place. Our room was very clean, tidy and more spacious than expected too.The grounds were lovely very well kept, gardens were beautiful and the exteriors were very clean and bright. We had stayed at the Riu TeQuila a couple of years ago (and that place was brilliant too) so we new the beach was a beautiful one, which did not disappoint. The staff were all pleasant, chatty people, all worked hard to make us comfortable, all in all a very happy holiday. Would not let the rumours about this place put us off, as far as we could see there was no drop in standards due to the "closure" . Loved it and a big THANK YOU to all the staff for making our holiday a fab one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple