“Good holiday.......restaurants could be improved”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #49 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Durham
“Good holiday.......restaurants could be improved”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Travelled with Thompson's which was the usual rip off service - £90 to pre book seats(which are already paid for so why should we have to pay again to sit where we want) £5 to upgrade TV- to have ability to pause a film when needed- and extortionately priced drinks and snacks. The meal was ok, but the snack that came round later, should just be placed directly in the bin as it was in edible. Its about time Thompson's started providing the service that they charge for- if Emirates can do it, and charge similar prices, why cant Thompson's.

We stayed for two weeks at the Tequilla and had a wonderful time, as we were there for my husbands 50th birthday. Met some really nice friendly people at the hotel and the staff are so friendly they really add to the holiday.

The buffet was really good and there is something for everyone, but a lot of the food is not very hot- which could account for myself and my daughter having bad stomachs for most of the holiday. I like to eat in a la carte restaurants but was very disappointed with the system that operates at this hotel. You can only book the morning that you want to eat and you need to be up early to get what you want. There were queues at 7am for the restaurants and they booked up very quickly. Also you can only book outside the main restaurant so our room was quite a way from the restaurant, which meant a trek on a morning. Some people are early risers, but when I go on holiday I do not want to be up at 7am to book a table. There was also only 2 sittings, 7pm and 9pm and it felt like a conveyor belt system, where they wanted you in and out as quickly as possible. I like to book a table at a restaurant at a time that suits me and not feel pressurised. We also tried to cancel a booking one day and reception told us just not to bother turning up. I feel that is a waste as they could have given this booking to someone else. To compare food, we have stayed in Mexico at the Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda and the restaurants, booking system and food were of a much better quality.

The reception staff are also not very helpful. Tried to pre book a table a few days in advance in the steak house as it was a special occasion(husbands 50th) and they told me to go through the usual booking system. I wanted to know it was pre booked as I also had decorations etc but they would not help me. Tried the Thompson's rep, who was still no help. Don't think this was a dramatic request really, so ended up going into Playa for a meal as the hotel were so unhelpful.

The pool as stated in other reviews is very dirty and does need a very good clean.

The beach however is lovely and there is a very nice breeze so it is much more pleasant than lying round the pool. My husband and daughter went para sailing and loved it.

The nightly shows are poor but the atmosphere in the hotel is good and the barmen are really happy. There's a nightclub which got really full and rather rowdy. The drinks are also included in the nightclub. One night we saw a women who had to be wheeled away from the bar in a luggage trolley as she was so drunk!!

We went to Cancun on the bus. it only cost £3.50 return, but when you arrive you will need to get a taxi or bus into the main part of Cancun as its quite a way out. You can also use the facilities of the Riu Cancun. We asked at reception and they said they would e mail the hotel to let them know. however we just walked in and used the restaurant and no one stopped us- they have the same arm bands.as the Tequilla. The food and set up are exactly the same, but the buffet choice was much better at the Riu Cancun.

You must visit Coco Bongos. My daughter booked the VIP seats for my husbands 50th. We went with friends we had made at the hotel. Unfortunately we did not get VIP seats. After complaining about this we were offered a free night to compensate so we went twice. The next time we had some of the best seats in the house. My advice if you go is to book VIP seats and to get there early to ensure that you get them as it gets very full every night. It really is the best night ever, for all ages and you will not be disappointed.

The positives of the hotel-as it looks like its all negatives-the staff, the cleanliness (cleanest pool toilets I have ever been in ), the atmosphere, the coatis in the hotel, being able to use other Riu hotels and the close vicinity to Playa.

Even though there are some issues with this hotel, we had a really good time and for the money that we paid we liked it.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are better as you can be overrun with coatis on the first floor
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank DurhamHolly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,329)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Had a fantastic time in mexico staying at the tequila. great hotel, the room was cleaned every day to a very good standard. loved the little buggy taking you down to the beach.food was good and lots of choice. just one little moan,this is the second rui hotel we have stayed in and the entertainment could be better. But overall a great place for a holiday.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alangavin
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Our vacation was arranged by Apple Vacations to this all-inclusive resort. I gave the resort an excellent rating because everyone was very helpful, the food selection was truly great, and the entertainment was also excellent. There are several Riu hotels very close to each other, and guests of one hotel can use many of the facilities of the others. The Apple representative (Andres Sosa) also went to great lengths to get us the best deals with the excursions that he had arranged for us. The buffet restaurant (Jalisco) had magnificent selections of all sorts of delicacies and the service was also good. We also tried the steak house where one has to make reservations the day before, but the buffet restaurant was even better.
If there is one improvement that I would like to see is that it would be very helpful if the hotel would be willing to exchange foreign currency as a convenience to guests. As it stands now, one cannot exchange any currency at the front desk, and (to my knowledge) there are no banks nearby. Of course, since this is an all-inclusive resort, one would only need pesos for going into town -- which we did not do due to the availability of the activities right on the premeses.

2 Thank Berci
Acapulco, Mexico
Reviewed 24 September 2012

From check in to check out, service was TERRIBLE. We arrived late, around 11pm, after a delayed flight, so we just wanted to to be in our room to relax, but at check in, the GSA (Can´t remember if it was Sebatian, or starts with an E) but he was VERY rude with terrible service, like he did not want to be there. He just gave us the keys, without directions to where to go, no maps of the hotels, and did not offer luggage assistance. I understand that it was late and there are limited staff, but every guest should be treated with service, especially if they say they are 5 stars. We eventually got lost, because there were nobody to help us with our luggage and directions. The sad part was we were two petit girls, trying to manage our heavy luggage. We went back to the front desk to ask for specific directions, and realized that they have charged us an extra $200 on our room. We boked on www.riu.com, but BE CAREFULL, because the PRICE YOU PAY ONLINE IS NOT WHAT YOU WILL PAY WHEN YOU GET THERE! They say its because of the "exchange rate" but that is ridiculous because there is no way it would add $200 to the room charges. We refused to pay more than we were confirmed with online, so did not give our credit card. The GSA said he would call security to excort us out. At this point we were ready to leave, since we rather spend our money at a place that provides service, but since it was so late, we rather not. After argueing, he agreed to let us speak to the supervisor in the morning.

The supervisor was still rude, and spoke in Spanish, complaining about us to her colleagues, not knowing I understand the language. After an hour at the office, she says we still need to peay the extra $200 on top of what we already payed online, but will check with reservations. We went for lunch and went back later, to finally they agree to let us pay about $50 extra. We agreed because we simply did not want to waste any more of our time during our vacation being frustrated.

We had Friends in the RIU Lupita, but when they came to dine with us, the security gave them many gross looks and problems before letting them stay to eat (even though it is posted online and commented by travel agents that RIU guests may visit any RIU). We could never book a spot in the restaurants because of the issues with front desk.

Next day, one drunk guest grabbed me while I was fully clothed with my purse and dragged me into the pool. I was very disturbed because he was a stranger, and I felt abused. My camera, and two phones were inside the water as well. I understand that it is a all-inclusive resort, but waiters need to know when to stop serving drunk guests. Security came and I filed a report with the same Front Office Supervisor. She was a little more understanding, but still continued to speak bad in Spanish to her collegues.

My boyfriend heard about this story and flew to Playa del Carmen the next morning. He was going to get a room in the same hotel, but from the poor service from bellstaff, he immediately took me out of the hotel, and we got a MUCH better hotel in the city (while still paying for the room at RIU because they apparently do not refund the rooms if you check out early). The hotel did do much to solve any problems.

I travel about 15 times a year, but this hotel has been the worst hotel. At check out, I asked for the number for customer service for the RIU chain, but they told me they do not have such a thing. At that point I understood. The staff has terrible service, because the chain simply does not have "customer service". I wish to speak to corporate but simply did not want to waste more time being agry.

Please do not stay here, because I don´t think it is fair to treat guests so poorly and call themselves a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kilikinss
norwich uk
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive at the Riu Tequila in Mexico.
One of the best holiday experiences I have had yet,really fantastic food, great service, friendly staff and gorgeous scenery.
This resort is certainly not 'Average'by any ones standards, and anybody who is not impressed with this hotel needs to get a life.

A few tips for fellow travellers would be , take either your I phone or I pad with you as the free wi-fi in the hotel lobby is quite good, you get 90 minutes free but you can then go over and log into the Yucatan's across the road and get another 90 minutes free. If you get a face book account you can face time your friends and relatives whilst you are there for free.

At the advice of our tour operator we took mostly pesos but all the trips ,even the tour operators trips are priced in dollars!!!. The exchange rate is not as good as in the UK. The only place that wont except dollars in payment is the Hotel due to new government rules. If you do take Pesos it can be quite tricky working out how much you are paying when you have to keep working out what x amount of dollars is in pesos and then sterling.

Don't book trips through the reps, you will get EXACTLY the same from Pedro at approx half the price. Go out of the front of the hotel and turn left, go down to the first lot of shops and he has a small trips stall in the middle of the path. we did 4 trips with him and had fantastic service and saved loads. We had a 45 minute swim with the dolphins for £55 each, worth every penny.

Take any medication that you need with you as it is expensive to buy, 20 paracetamol cost us £5!!!!.
The duty free is a lot cheaper in the Mexican duty free coming back eg 500g Golden Virginia £62 at Gatwick and £39 in Cancun airport duty free.

Cant say I really have any complaints about this Holiday, can't wait to go back.
Don't take any head of bad reviews, if you can find one, this is a fantastic resort and you will have a great time

3 Thank neilmarjoram
UK
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We went all inclusive with Thomson staying in block 21 ground floor.

Our room spacious and very clean with a well proportioned shower and excellent air con. There were some chipped tiles but nothing to ruin your holiday over. Room was cleaned daily and we returned every day to a new towel sculpture. The grounds were lush and green offering plenty of shade and the general areas of the hotel were of a good standard. All of the staff at the hotel are an excellent asset to the Riu chain with nothing too much trouble for them. We ate in all restaurants except the steak bar and found plenty of choice, both hot and cold dishes. There is even a weekly guided tour of the kitchens. Went into Playa del Carmen on a number of occasions where you'll find the usual variety of tourist shops as well as more high end boutiques. You will get asked to go into almost every one but a polite no is all you need to be left alone. Did a number of trips arranged via Thomson which gave a snapshot of a wonderful area and also enjoyed a half day ATV and cenote tour arranged with the Wheelie Trails who are based at the front of the hotel. Our guide was Paris who added to a great time we had by giving us insights into Mexico in general. We have been travelling all over the world for the last 15years and have now added the Mexico and the Riu Tequila to our list of places we would revisit. It is number two in a list of two. Did not use room service so have not given it a score

2 Thank UKVoyagers
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2012

As it was my first time in Mexico going with my boyfriend I was in for and adventure. I had a great time at the Riu and it's sister hotel the yukitan. The food was great, people were very friendly, rooms were nice and was about a 5min walk to the beach.
The only thing I would say negative about the hotel was the activities were not as live as the Riu Yukitan was, at the Yukitan we played games, had dance lessons and did aquafit which we had a blast doing. Overall though I had an amazing time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Lupita
Hotel Riu Lupita
#80 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,700 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Tequila? Share your experiences!