“Comfortable and somewhat quite all inclusive place”

ClubHotel Riu Tequila
Ranked #55 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Being more a self organized traveller, I rarely get in touch with all inclusive offerings which are more common to the packaged tours industry. So I never was at a RIU hotel before, as well. We did use it for relaxing and as the diving, tour and cuba trip homebase.

Summary: I was quite positive surprised.

The Hotel offers a main Restaurant, Sports bar (24h Snacks), 2 a la card Restaurants (one which is used for snack's during daytime) and the option for breakfast and dinner at another RIU cross the street. Several bars, incl. a pool bar. The food was far better then I ever had in a packaged offering and even after two weeks I could enjoy dinner just in the main restaurant.

Rooms are big enough and nice with separated bath portion. Beds are 2 queen size in a double room.
The park alike gardens are amazing with a bunch of animals.

Evening entertainment , animation, sports etc are as usual at a mid class club hotel.

The Hotel is located in a park/ golf location, not at the beach. They have however a beach and it is a 5-7 minutes walk, or 2 minutes golf cart transfer. The whole region - Playacar, a private hotel and residence area - is very nice and close to the city(20 minutes walk or 7US$ taxi ride).

In May/June when we have been there, I would nothing crowed - very nice, plenty space, chairs, no waiting.

Only 2 downsides:
HotelBed which is a transfer and tour operator did not seem to be very organized and at least one chap was not interested in guest and service at all.
Scubacaribe is the water sports operator - mass production and sales agents trying to scam by change rates etc. not a strict no go, but only if no better option.

Room Tip: Get away from the pool for silence and to the pool(bar) for party. Be aware that 32xx rooms are cl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ralf H

Reviewed 3 June 2013

we stayed at this hotel in may , and i have never written a review before , having never traveled to Mexico before , we were a little worried about what we might find , well we needn't of worried , the hotel was from the first min to the last exceptional. welcome at the hotel was polite & the room was fantastic , food was superb , not recycled etc , we traveled with Thompson , & the on site reps couldn't do enough to make sure everything was sorted , We had booked a trip to coco bongo (wow what a nite!!) while in the uk DONT do this , book in resort as all we would of got was basic entrance n a taxi from some american company, Meredeth ( one of the reps) was superb & got this changed for us ( cant thank her enough!!). the hotel is a tad tired in its decor but still of a fantastic standard. , the staff really bent over backwards to help , entertainment superb, we will be comming back again , loved it all !!!

2  Thank dmartinwba
Reviewed 3 June 2013

loved this hotel, food great with lots of choice and change of menu daily plus 3 other speciality restaurants to chose from. drinks gorgeous, the bar staff know their drinks! Room lovely, air con worked a dream.
staff really friendly and their English was perfect, put us Brits to shame with the language but the staff didn't seem to care.
you can do as little or as much as you like within the hotel and beach.
other reviews complain about the hotel being away from the beach but it doesn't take long to walk and if you are lazy you can wait for the buggy. if this is a problem then stay in a hotel on the beach!
the hotel still had a bar and bbq on the beach so no need to go without!
Thomson staff friendly but not completely informed on the trips. we went to Chichenitza which was a great trip and the guide Martin made the day. cannot fault this
however, they told us there would be a max of 8 people on our boat for the whale sharks and there were 10, just like the rest of the tours. the only difference booking with Thomson rather than other companies are that you get a full refund if you do not site any whale sharks so you do pay a little extra for this guarantee.
none of the trips are cheap but they are inclusive of food and drink (albeit range from OK to poor)
flight coming home was delayed by 10 hours, 8 at the hotel (we could still use facilities) but after being told by the rep the flight would not be delayed any longer that the 8 hours it was then delayed further at the airport. not happy at all about this considering it was a Thomson airline!!
as far as the holiday was concerned we had a great time, cannot fault the hotel at all.
the complex was safe too. we did not venture on our own outside other than to 5th Ave which is also safe to walk or get a taxi
Whatever people say, take Peso's with you, US Dollars are used but you get stung by being charged more.

Room Tip: our room was on the 1st floor. perfect away from pool cannot compare to other rooms other than tho...
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed at the Riu Tequila Maya Riviera May 25 to June 1. Not impressed with sunwing right off the bat as our plane departed 2 hours late. When we got to the hotel the check-in was smooth and took no time at all, so that was good. The room was a standard Riu room, two queen size beds pushed together, great, large room with big closet and lots of storage, nice bathroom and the liquor dispenser and mini bar. The beds are very firm but not uncomfortably so. Good air conditioning plus a large fan, much appreciated in the humid climate. Decent size balcony. Room itself was very clean and in good condition. Everything worked well and was well maintained. The resort is fairly large but not overwhelmingly so. Large enough for the ammenities needed without making you walk miles to get anywhere. The hotel is not right on the beach but it is a short walk along a private tree lined path that takes about 10 minutes. If you don't want to walk a golf cart style shuttle takes you there and back and they run constantly. The beach is beautiful as is the turquoise blue ocean, spectacular. The downside was the shade at the beach no palapas only palm trees and they really didn't give off the shade needed so we ended up at the pool all the time to get shade under a palapa. Never had any difficulty getting a good seat at the pool either and we are not early risers either so that was great. We didn't know this till we got there but the Riu Yucatan is closed and being demolished. One of the reasons we booked this resort was the fact we would have use of the two other ocean front resorts Riu owns there. The Playacar and the Yucatan. The Playacar is a bit of a distance away so we thought we would spend a lot of days at the Yucatan enjoying both the ocean and the pool. Everything at the Yucatan was blocked off the beach, pools and the beach club lunch buffet so you pretty much had to choose the beach or the pool you couldn't enjoy both at the same time. I felt a little cheated and it limited our options. Having said that we still really enjoyed the tequila. The food at the breakfast and lunch buffets were very good pretty much the same thing everyday but enough of a selection that you would not get bored. The dinner buffets were very good my only complaint was I am more of a chicken than a beef person and chicken was not as available as pork or beef or fish. Lots of choice though and the food is very good. The service was ok the restaurant staff was very friendly but not as attentive as I would have expected at a Riu. We are tippers so it wasn't that and there were a few times when we had really no service at all. Many times when we came back to our table with our dessert plates or main course plates our other plates would still be there and we were stacking them on the next table and they were not taken away during our meal, we found that unusual for a Riu. Not a big deal but just lacking a bit where it was noticible. We stayed at the Riu Sante Fe in Los Cabos in February and loved it so much we were absolute in choosing the Riu Tequila this time. I guess we couldn't help but compare the two and just found the Riu Tequila not quite up to the standard of the Sante Fe. Having said that if we didn't have the Sante Fe to compare it to we would have been extremely happy with everything and in fairness it is a great resort with great entertainment (enjoyed the shows immensely) and really good food. We ate at 2 specialty restaurants the asian it was excellent and the steak house. Steak was ok not great. You should know about the wildlife at this resort. It is such fun. They have Coati Mundis. Kind of a furry, long tailed anteater type little critter and they are everywhere. So cute and they love to knock over drinks and lick them up and steal food off your poolside table when you are not looking. They are harmless and lots of fun to watch. There are Agoutis, kind of a very large guinnea pig they are shy and you don't see them very much and then there are the Iguanas that find a sunny spot and just spend the day sleeping there in the sun. There are also several feral cats that roam around and beg for food occasionally. All the critters are harmless and just very enjoyable to watch roaming around. It is the rainy season right now and we did have quite a few rain storms that came and went, it is still very warm when it rains and the rain itself is a warm rain so not unpleasant the humidity is brutal though. Almost 100% most days and my husband found it quite debilitating and had a difficult time walking long distances without becoming soaked in perspiration. Very hot and humid. All and all we had a very enjoyable stay at the Riu Tequila and have some wonderful memories of the Maya Riviera. It is very good value for the money and I would recommend it if you are considering going to that part of Mexico. Just a sidebar, the Tulum ruins are worth seeing, beautiful and about 45 minutes away. There are tours you can arrange at the hotel. The beach there is spectacular it will take your breath away.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor it is quieter
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel;) super. Not on the beach but only 5min walk. I love all entertaiment team they are brilliant. I wan herraduras competition as well. i am just looking for ryan and sonia from canada they left riu tequila about 20 may, i lost their details. Please send me an email if u know them. Many thanks kristina

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank kristina_alaska
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Let me first say that Playa del Carmen is the place to go! Beautiful beaches, fun nightlife and cool people. Now, having said that, the actual hotel experience was VERY disappointing. Prior to getting there I asked over the phone if I could add myself to my friends room and just pay the all inclusive charge. They said yes, no problem, but that I would have to do that in person once I arrived.

When we got to the hotel the price estimate they had given me over the phone pretty much doubled from $400 to almost $900! After traveling the last thing I wanted to do was get in a discussion over the phone (no person at the hotel could work this out for me) with their "customer service." After about an hour 1/2 they finally accepted to charge me the original price.

Next morning should have been awesome, except for my friend waking me up with her screams saying that she had been stung by a scorpion in our bathroom. We both ran to the front desk and they showed a huge lack of sympathy or suggestions as to what we should do. After pleading with them (about 30min) their resort "DR" came and said we needed to go to the hospital for a special injection. We then asked the manager of the hotel what hospital we should go to (this took about another hour), and if they would pay for the cab/medical bills (shot cost $600). They said NO. That it was not their responsibility! I couldn't believe it... then the manager says to me that the "venom not that powerfull and that if it was, my friend would have been in a serious condition by now. UNBELIEVABLE!! After almost 3 hours to tell me that, and she's the manager of a worldwide resort?!

My friend ended up having to use her own insurance to cover the charges. Overall I would say save your money and stay somewhere away by these resorts where the food/ drinks aren't even worth the all inclusive charge.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elisa A
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Went to this hotel again for the third time and it has not changed in 10 years. The hotel is still excellent and I could not fault it. The only change is that thre is no longer any tennis courts at this hotel although you can use the Riu Playacar 10 mins away.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room and high floor.
1  Thank Christophergiles